• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a PS4 or XBox 1?

Kagey K

Banned
Well the difference between the two consoles is nearly £200 in the UK

The PlayStation hits games are £15 quid a pop.... Ten games at £15 each = £150 quid. Plus your PS4 = £350 quid.

Average cost of Xbox one X in the UK is around £380 plus your gamespass Subscription...

It works out roughly the same
It doesn’t matter it looks like OP made thier choice.

Kagey K

Banned
The thing with Sony exclusives is that they don’t matter after a month or 2. They hit big out of the block, but have no legs and end up not meaning much in the overall.

It’s still, play with friends, p,at online, play by myself. And that paradigm is about to change.

BruceCM

X1 still doesn’t get newerJapanese games like DQXI, Ni no Kuni 2
It's getting Ni No Kuni Remastered, isn't it? So, it'll be bound to get the sequel at some point :p DQXI I've already said I'll get on Switch, so that's not going to help.... :D

Kagey K

Banned
It's getting Ni No Kuni Remastered, isn't it? So, it'll be bound to get the sequel at some point :p DQXI I've already said I'll get on Switch, so that's not going to help.... :D
I’d really love to see the contracts that are squeezing Square.

There is no way Square doesn’t see the money they are losing, but something written back then, holds them hard.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it? Some say it isn’t and some say it is so I’m not sure anymore. But my point is thinking about the future, when game like Grandblue Fantasy Rlink comes out....
GOELzkC.gif

What are chances Xbox is going get this game. As far as I can tell Grandblue Fantasy Versus is not coming on Xbox.

I’d really love to see the contracts that are squeezing Square.

There is no way Square doesn’t see the money they are losing, but something written back then, holds them hard.
I don’t think there is a “contract” same with Persona 5. I’m guessing both Atlus and Square figured there is just no audience for Persona and Dragon Quest on Xbox.

Last edited:

BruceCM

I thought I saw his decision posted above. I’ll have to go back and re read.
Not quite, if I hear about enough PS4 exclusives I'm actually interested in playing.... :p As for cost of console, pre-owned PS4 pros are a bit more than xbox one S but then they have the days of play sales, so about the same :D

Kagey K

Banned
Not quite, if I hear about enough PS4 exclusives I'm actually interested in playing.... :p As for cost of console, pre-owned PS4 pros are a bit more than xbox one S but then they have the days of play sales, so about the same :D
Well you do you.

There are more games on both systems then you could play before you die.

At some point it literally just becomes about preference. You can’t go wrong with either, but some will make you always feel like you chose wrong.

Whitecrow

Banned
Driveclub, Spiderman, Uncharted 4 and 5 (plus remasters), Horizon, Detroit, Days Gone, Bloodborne, and add the upcoming Ghost of Tsuhima, TLOU2 and Death Stranding.

You have a whole world to discover there.

Kagey K

Banned
Driveclub, Spiderman, Uncharted 4 and 5 (plus remasters), Horizon, Detroit, Days Gone, Bloodborne, and add the upcoming Ghost of Tsuhima, TLOU2 and Death Stranding.

You have a whole world to discover there.
Forza Horizon 4 offers more gameplay then all you said above.

You “beat” all those games and I’m still playing Horizon. What makes you come back to them?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you care about Sony's exclusives (or Japanese niche exclusives), PS4. Otherwise, Xbox One because it is cheaper and has the leagues better controller.

Kagey K

Banned
If you care about Sony's exclusives (or Japanese niche exclusives), PS4. Otherwise, Xbox One because it is cheaper and has the leagues better controller.
Xbox technically has more niche exclusives now, just not “current gen” if that matters.

Yoshi

Xbox technically has more niche exclusives now, just not “current gen” if that matters.
I am pretty sure it matters, and I was talking specifically about the anime niche.

There seems to be more XB1 exclusives I'm actually interested in playing, though.... :p
With the better controller, more interesting exclusives to you and lower price, how does this thread even exist then?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Start saving now and get a 5 late next year, since it'd be insane if it wasn't fully PS4 BC.

Whitecrow

Banned
Forza Horizon 4 offers more gameplay then all you said above.

You “beat” all those games and I’m still playing Horizon. What makes you come back to them?
I dont need to read more.
You seem so entitled to your opinon/heated that I dont feel like it's woth mantaining the debate.

Last edited:

Yoshi

So was I? Xbox got a bunch of anime default games because PS decided not to compete.

Are you plating Azuras Wrath on your PS4?
I am not playing Azura's Wrath at all. And I do not have a PS4 (do have an Xbox One though). I could play Azura's Wrath either way though, even without an Xbox One, because it is a last gen game and I do happen to have an Xbox 360 (the product that was advertised specifically for me in 2013, because I use my consoles offline).

Kagey K

Banned
Everyone's been duped.

100 million consoles sold and there's only 50 hours worth of games to be had.

This is the biggest scandal since Elizabeth Holmes' Theranos.

This is my favourite argument right here,

It sold almost 100 million, so it will continue to sell that and blaaahhhhhh 😝

Kagey K

Banned
I am not playing Azura's Wrath at all. And I do not have a PS4 (do have an Xbox One though). I could play Azura's Wrath either way though, even without an Xbox One, because it is a last gen game and I do happen to have an Xbox 360 (the product that was advertised specifically for me in 2013, because I use my consoles offline).
But you aren’t playing it on your PS4?

I mean look at everyone’s exclusive list of games I must buy for my PS4? They are mostly PS3 remakes.

Unless there is somehow a difference I’m not seeing here.

GHG

So was I? Xbox got a bunch of anime default games because PS decided not to compete.

Are you plating Azuras Wrath on your PS4?

Sounds like the type of game you "beat" and don't go back to. What do you do after hour 10?!

Yoshi

But you aren’t playing it on your PS4?
Since I do not have a PS4, this would be impossible for me, even if PS4 was bc. And I would not be interested to anyway.

I mean look at everyone’s exclusive list of games I must buy for my PS4? They are mostly PS3 remakes.
Is that so? I usually hear about God of War, Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo Sport, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Driveclub, Spider Man, Astro Bot (though, granted, I only hear about this all the time, because everyone who knows me knows I would love it). I am not personally interested in any of these outside of GoW and Astro Bot, but there are plenty well regarded PS4 exclusives in many different genres.

GHG

This is my favourite argument right here,

It sold almost 100 million, so it will continue to sell that and blaaahhhhhh 😝

They've only sold so many consoles because people keep replacing them due to how noisy they are.

You get to 50 hours, the console gets noisy, you need to replace it. Rinse, repeat.

giphy.gif

Kagey K

Banned
They've only sold so many consoles because people keep replacing them due to how noisy they are.

You get to 50 hours, the console gets noisy, you need to replace it. Rinse, repeat.

giphy.gif
I don’t think that’s true, but whatever floats your boat.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Buy the PS4. It cheaper and has a bunch of good exclusives. I would also say the main thing you wanna know is whether you like single player exclusives or multiplayer. Single player, go PS4, multiplayer go Xbox.

That being said, gamepass is probably the best bang for your buck this year in terms of sheer quantity of first party exclusives. Plus you'll get the new exclusives on day 1 for "free" given that you're subscribed at the time.

I don't know as much about PSNow because I'm not subscribed, I usually just buy Sony's exclusives. If they are single player, I buy when they go on discount. I imagine they have a larger selection of games, though the exclusives probably aren't as....new?

Both systems are great in their own right. If price is a factor, more so than performance, go with the base models. If you're going base model though, that would veer me more towards the PS4. If you gonna cash to burn, go buy the X, it's amazing and will continue to be supported early into next gen i assume.

Kagey K

Banned
Maaaaan you just reminded me, I got Lost Odyssey downloaded on my Xbox and I haven't even opened it up. I kinda wanna get FFXII though.
It’s very final fantasy. You should fire it up, but only when you have the time for it.

Not sure there is a PS4 equivalent to it. Maybe somebody would like to enlighten me.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It’s very final fantasy. You should fire it up, but only when you have the time for it.

Not sure there is a PS4 equivalent to it. Maybe somebody would like to enlighten me.
I did play it on the 360. I can't remember why I never finished it. I liked what I played though. Reminded me of FFVIII

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I did play it on the 360. I can't remember why I never finished it. I liked what I played though. Reminded me of FFVIII
You definetly should, both Lost Odyssesy and Tales of Vasperia were best JRPG on 360.

Kagey K

Banned
Right. Is there are more games that you can play on your XB1 then your PS4

That is a fact. You can spin it however you like.

If a console is about the games, then let games be the fact.

In sheer numbers it’s not close.

And with Gamepass that number seems to get bigger. Not smaller.

Murdoch

Well you do you.

There are more games on both systems then you could play before you die.

At some point it literally just becomes about preference. You can’t go wrong with either, but some will make you always feel like you chose wrong.

I hate to be 'that' guy... But you are pushing him towards the Xbox awfully strongly?

The Right answer is, none of the above, spend the money (add a little more if you have to ) on a tent and camping equipment, take up a new hobby this summer, camping, if you have a gf, or a close friend, go camping with them at least ten times this summer... If you ever get the urge to play video games, do not worry you have tons of games for the PS3 or/and the 360 that are backlogged, take care of those, play those games, then go camping on weekends to the coolest campgrounds within 200-300 miles radius from your place. come back here and thank my later on in Autumn/Winter.

Murdoch

The Right answer is, none of the above, spend the money (add a little more if you have to ) on a tent and camping equipment, take up a new hobby this summer, camping, if you have a gf, or a close friend, go camping with them at least ten times this summer... If you ever get the urge to play video games, do not worry you have tons of games for the PS3 or/and the 360 that are backlogged, take care of those, play those games, then go camping on weekends to the coolest campgrounds within 200-300 miles radius from your place. come back here and thank my later on in Autumn/Winter.

Agreed.

Video games are for basement dwellers!

Agreed.

Video games are for basement dwellers!
there is nothing wrong with video games, per se... but there are quite few reasons I don't think the OP needs to bother with a "next/current" gen console, one reason being, the next gen is around the corner, he might as well skip it, there's no shame, he wont be missing much, two: there is just too many games out there to play, my guess would be he has a at least half a years worth of backlog form whatever console he owns now, he may argue he wants "next gen" looking and felling games, sad thing is, within a year, he will still feel behind the curve even with an xbox one x etc.

If he really wants to play games like RDR2 etc. Again, he's already too late, might as well wait until next gen to come out, and buy a XBOX or a PS4 dirt cheap then. etc.

Last edited:

Murdoch

there is nothing wrong with video games, per se... but there are quite few reasons I don't think the OP needs to bother with a "next/current" gen console, one reason being, the next gen is around the corner, he might as well skip it, there's no shame, he wont be missing much, two: there is just too many games out there to play, my guess would be he has a at least half a years worth of backlog form whatever console he owns now, he may argue he wants "next gen" looking and felling games, sad thing is, within a year, he will still feel behind the curve even with an xbox one x etc.

If he really wants to play games like RDR2 etc. Again, he's already too late, might as well wait until next gen to come out, and buy a XBOX or a PS4 dirt cheap then. etc.

Jokes aside I completely agree with you. One console can provide a lifetimes worth of games. Marketing departments attempt to tell us otherwise. Even though I actually AM a gamespass subscriber, I'm almost against it as it creates an aura of 'fear of missing out' if you don't manage to play a game before it leaves the service. I'd much rather buy a game and take my time over the course of X months to finish it.

Yoshi

Right. Is there are more games that you can play on your XB1 then your PS4

That is a fact. You can spin it however you like.

If a console is about the games, then let games be the fact.

In sheer numbers it’s not close.

And with Gamepass that number seems to get bigger. Not smaller.
BC is a nice feature, but it is ill-guided to compare contemporary systems based on game counts using last gen and pre-last gen games. Xbox One is a great console, well worth owning, and there certainly are a ton of great games in bc, but chances are people looking for a new console to buy now will not do that primarily to buy games from the 2005-2012 years. Mega Drive was not a better choice than SNES just for the fact that you could buy an accessory to play all Master System games on it (and SNES did not suddenly come out as the better choice just because the Super Game Boy came out - even though that was actually a contemporary system).

Cato

Banned
Depends on your preferences and if you play online what your friends have.

Both are good in their own way.
Early PS4 were more powerful than early Xbox1. Late Xbox1 are more powerful than late PS4.

You pick.
I pick PS4 since I personally like their exclusives. You pick what makes sense to you, and we are all gamers after all.

Last edited:
if looking at base models then get PS4

if looking at all models then get the Xbox 1X

or if you simply dont care about Sony cinematic exclusives then go for the xbox and get gamepass

Last edited:
Top Bottom