• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a PS4 or XBox 1?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you game exclusively with headset, get an Xbox one x. Both PS4 and pro sound like jetengines when tackling heavy games, and I've worried it's gonna break from it.

Xbox is always quiet and can't be heard with unless you mute the game.

Playing some quiet style game with little music is absolutely horrible on PS4.

BruceCM

Name the last five games you played that you loved. It will help with the decision.
Apart from Switch exclusives, presumably, since that's my current system? Final Fantasy XII (along with the others but I'd played them before) :p FFXIII trilogy & FFXV are on both consoles I'm considering .... :D
Other games I'm interested in are the recent Tomb Raiders, Cyberpunk 2077 & FFVII r :p 1st are on both, 2nd will launch on both & last will come to XB1 soon enough :D

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Do you want to pay Forza and SoT or Spider-man, God of War, etc.?

The XB1 does not have many stand out exclusives, but maybe you like multi-platform games mostly?

Winter John

It depends on whether you want one because there are games your interested in, or want one just to have. If it's just to have then spend the money on something better

Quezacolt

But almost all the PS4 exclusives seem to come to XB1 after awhile, anyway.... :p I'm sure there'd be plenty of games available for it to keep me goingby now :D
You wont see any ps4 excluve going to xbox, this hasnt ahppened to any ps4 exclusive this gen, neither in past gens. Those usually stay in PS forever.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah & I'm not bothered about timed exclusives, since they'll still come :p At least XB1 isn't censoring games ..... :D

What timed exclusives are you talking about?

God of War, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dreams, Ghosts of Tshumia, Bloodborne, Nioh, Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI, Uncharted, Last of Us, Death Stranding, Detroit, Gravity Rush, Street Fighter V, etc, etc, etc. The list could go on for a while. The exclusives - and especially games on PS4 and not on Xbone - aren't even debatable at this point.

When are you expecting Xbone releases for these games?

BruceCM

OK, perhaps they weren't announced as exclusives but they took some time to come to other consoles.... :p I don't care about exclusives I'm not interested in playing, obviously :D
When are you expecting Xbone releases for these games?
I'm getting DQXI on Switch, so that's irrelevant... Tried Uncharted on Vita :p Not interested in most of the others

Vawn

Banned
I'm getting DQXI on Switch, so that's irrelevant... Tried Uncharted on Vita :p Not interested in most of the others

Ok. You were comparing Xbone to PS4, no mention of Switch, which is also a better choice than Xbone. If you don't care about any of those other PS4 exclusives you just want to prefer Xbox, so go with that. There's nothing that will change your mind.

BruceCM

That's because I already have a Switch... :p I had a Vita, so tried Persona game there & others :D Never had chance to try XB1 stuff, though

Skyfox

I’d suggest trying to get hands on with a controller from each console. Maybe go to a store that sells preowned games and ask if you can hold one to get an idea.

I think the controllers are a key difference between the two.

RAIDEN1

If you like backward compatibility, go for the Xbox-1, Sony did a useless job in bringing out any new re-masters from the PS1/PS2 days, irrespective if the PS3 is hard to emulate....on Xbox you'll get to play MGS collection, Jade Empire, Republic Commando, Virtua Fighter 5...one of the best Burnout games to ever be released and to this day is as fun as hell!!

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 easily for me. Basically all the same games, but with slightly more.

Ulysses 31

It's a simple choice of actual system at the moment.... If you want to say why I should really get the 1 X or PS4 pro, feel free to do so as well :p
Same reason you'd want the base consoles but with higher resolutions and/or better fps.

Sorcerer

Put the money towards a next gen system. They should both be fully backwards compatible. Have your cake and eat it too.

Barsinister

Banned
Apart from Switch exclusives, presumably, since that's my current system? Final Fantasy XII (along with the others but I'd played them before) :p FFXIII trilogy & FFXV are on both consoles I'm considering .... :D
Other games I'm interested in are the recent Tomb Raiders, Cyberpunk 2077 & FFVII r :p 1st are on both, 2nd will launch on both & last will come to XB1 soon enough :D

This is not what I asked you at all! Do you have a PS3 or 360? What are you playing and enjoying CURRENTLY? Not what you want to play in the future.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If you want the best exclusives and not filler games PS4 is the route to go (of course if you don't like their exclusives then get something else). Had gamepass and although its a gd value depending on your taste the games on it just aren't the ones tht keep me hooked so dropped it.

GV82

Do you want or care about Backwards compatibilty (Of Oh Xbox &360 Xbox) With hundreds of bc games? Then Xbox and a small handful of those BC games have 4K updates? Installable on the HDD With Future the ability to take 3 gens forward on the next Generation? That is Xbox OG, Xbox 360 & Xbox One Games will work on the Next Xbox, how many not sure yet, but they have done a decent job so far.

Or do you want Exclusives like Spider-Man, Last of Us etc?
With streaming bc of ps3 that’s hit or miss? & very small list of ps2 games that install on hdd. Then you want a PS4

I like them both for different reasons

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Depends on what you really want.

If you like Japanese games, then yeah, PS4 hands down.

Stuart360

If you like the look of Sony's exclusives (which are good) then go PS4. If you play a lot of multiplatform games, and money isnt an option, go OneX and Gamepass.

Justin9mm

As a current and prev owner of Base PS4, One S, PS4 Pro and One X.. My opinion is...

If base console... PS4 Hands Down
Upgraded Consoles.. One X

If you have a 4K TV then I would outlay on the One X, it is amazing.. If you don't have a 4K TV or don't care about Visuals then PS4 is your machine being the great exclusives also! I don't know who in their right mind would buy a base Xbox One or even One S at this present point in time.

Ryllix_

My personal opinion is to get an Xbox. Game pass gives you 100+ games immediately (almost all Microsoft exusives too). That said, PS4 has better exclusives. If you haven't played the last of us I would recommend a PS4 for that alone.

Xenon

PS4 or Xbox One? PS4.

PRO or Xbox One X? Xbox One X.

PreciousWastefulCoati-size_restricted.gif

hboyce1

Neo Member
I would suggest buying a PlayStation 4. There are far more PS4s out in the world right now than Xbox Ones. Consequently, there is a higher chance your current friends and future friends will have a PS4. Buying an Xbox One would only limit your multiplayer options. If single-player is more your bag, then you are in luck. The PlayStation platform has a bevy of non-timed exclusive titles that you can get your hands on. From Horizon Zero Dawn to Uncharted 4, you will always have something wonderful to play. You shouldn't be asking me which console you should be getting. I should be asking you why you haven't picked up a PS4 yet. Boom. *Mic Dropped

BruceCM

Do you want or care about Backwards compatibilty (Of Oh Xbox &360 Xbox) With hundreds of bc games?
Looked at a list of those & there's quite a few games I'd like there.... A lot more than the PS4 exclusives everyone's going on about :p

Kagey K

Banned
Depend what games you want to play and if you have a PC that can play them...

The chances to you want a PS4 is higher than Xbox 1 btw.
Depends on how much they care about those games and if it matters that they own them. You could by a system by itself and play hundreds of dollars worth of games for a minimal fee if you choose. Or buy a system with 1 game bundled and pay hundreds more to play the same games
If you are fan of Japanese games then PS4 and Switch combo is ideal.
if you need to own every game and forget BC exists.
If you like Dudebro Shooter or the other Dudebro Shooter series, get Xbox.
For everything else, Ps4.
That’s pure bullshit, and every week becomes more and more bullshit. Let’s not get into generalizing here.
PS4 easily for me. Basically all the same games, but with slightly more.

All at a cost, there are actually more games being released on Xbox now thenPS4 and with Game Pass you can play many of them at no extra cost.

But of course those games don’t matter anymore.

Murdoch

The decision is really should you get the base ps4 or the Xbox one X

The PS4 pro doesn't offer enough over the base console; which is just about powerful enough for the games it wants to run

The Xbox one S isn't powerful enough to run its games at decent HD resolutions, the Xbox one X is and then some

I'd either choose the Xbox one X and don't buy any games for it. Just get gamespass

OR

Buy a base ps4 and spend a few hundred to get a great library of first party exclusives that are genuinely world beaters.

Either way you'll be spending about the same

Kagey K

Banned
The decision is really should you get the base ps4 or the Xbox one X

The PS4 pro doesn't offer enough over the base console; which is just about powerful enough for the games it wants to run

The Xbox one S isn't powerful enough to run its games at decent HD resolutions, the Xbox one X is and then some

I'd either choose the Xbox one X and don't buy any games for it. Just get gamespass

OR

Buy a base ps4 and spend a few hundred to get a great library of first party exclusives that are genuinely world beaters.

Either way you'll be spending about the same
You really won’t be....

But in the end it’s up to you and your budget.

Kagey K

Banned
Day 1 you could easily spend the same on a PS4 and about 10 excellent games Vs the Xbox one X and 6 months of gamespass?
No? Even if you bought Gamepass at its worse possible price you would get 6 months of Gamepass for 1 Sony new release.

What 10 excellent games are there for PS4 that you can only get on pS4 and what is thier average value?

Last edited:
If you do end up getting an xbox one, you owe to yourself to play Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead. You won't find the big cinematic experiences on the xbox one, but there are several single player games to try like Recore and Quantum Break. I'd argue Sunset Overdrive is a single player game as well even though it has a multiplayer component.
Buy a GameCube and lament about how shitty modern games are.
I know it's blaspheme, but i really didn't enjoy the gamecube. I hated the controller and was letdown by every major 1st party game that was released. A lot of that is because of how amazing games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Mario Kart were on the N64, but still. I eventually bought an xbox to play Halo and never looked back until Nintendo's next system was released. Okay can't lie, I did enjoy Metroid Prime.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Looked at a list of those & there's quite a few games I'd like there.... A lot more than the PS4 exclusives everyone's going on about :p

I think that's decision made then?

Please don't get a base console or S model though. Unless youve only got a 720p screen it really does make a lot of games muddy and blurry. Spent the extra money and play a lot of those backwards compatible games at much higher resolution and (sometimes) better framerates. I only play on 1080p gaming monitor and the gulf in quality is massive.

CyberPanda

Banned
Go here op: www.opencritic.com

Go to PS4 section, and just look at all the top rated titles, and see if anything interests you. If it does, get that system.

Go to Xbox One section, and just look at the top rated titles, and see if anything interests you. If it does, get that system.

Cheers, and happy gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
if you need to own every game and forget BC exists.
I’m guessing you are talking about X1 BC. That’s great and all it does get done great games like Lost Odyssey but X1 still doesn’t get newerJapanese games like DQXI, Ni no Kuni 2 or Persona 5. As someone one who’s fan of Japanese games, I rather have exclusive Japanese games PS4 and Switch gives me over X1’s BC. I only care BC when I can get old games like Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1&2 which I don’t think we gonna get on X1’s BC.

Biggest reason I personally would choose Playstation over Xbox because when games like Shin Megami Tensei V and Grandblue Fanrasy Rlink comes out, what are the chances Xbox ever going get those games? Or DQXII gets announced, I’m pretty it comes out on PC, PS4 and Switch but not on Xbox.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I think that's decision made then?

Please don't get a base console or S model though. Unless youve only got a 720p screen it really does make a lot of games muddy and blurry. Spent the extra money and play a lot of those backwards compatible games at much higher resolution and (sometimes) better framerates. I only play on 1080p gaming monitor and the gulf in quality is massive.
Good choice.

Don’t get peer pressured into buying games you don’t like.

Murdoch

No? Even if you bought Gamepass at its worse possible price you would get 6 months of Gamepass for 1 Sony new release.

What 10 excellent games are there for PS4 that you can only get on pS4 and what is thier average value?

Well the difference between the two consoles is nearly £200 in the UK

The PlayStation hits games are £15 quid a pop.... Ten games at £15 each = £150 quid. Plus your PS4 = £350 quid.

Average cost of Xbox one X in the UK is around £380 plus your gamespass Subscription...

It works out roughly the same

Top Bottom