• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Phil Spencer Step Down / Resign / Do One?

Well, should he?

• Yes

Votes: 312 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 216 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They only have themselves to blame.

They? I don't think any social media personality is to blame for there being five separate threads from the same video interview :p All that should be consolidated in a single interview thread.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They? I don't think any social media personality is to blame for there being five separate threads from the same video interview :p All that should be consolidated in a single interview thread.
Good thing there is an ignore thread feature for the emotionally damaged, eh?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The biggest issues are the current owners being conditioned to wait for Gamepass, the "need" for Xbox when you have a PC and the consistent quality and quantity of first party games.

Whether it is Phil or someone else, not trying to fix those will not fix Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good thing there is an ignore thread feature for the emotionally damaged, eh?

You're in a mood today :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's not about selectively ignoring or promoting, it's just forum clutter having different threads being made with 10 second sound bites from the same interview. It splinters the discussion.

Crayon

Yeah idk. This abk falling through has kicked off a really bad week or two of news for him. God knows what the meetings are like. He just lost a few billion down the toilet, and they were already counting those eggs for over a year. Now the bethesda get is looking like a liability when you are waiting for starfield, doom, and what? ES6 in 3 or 4 more years?

Then the xsx is costing a fuckton of money to make because you needed more tf soooo baadddd and you are going to be expected to make a pro version when sony does.

I think back when his hands were more tied in the few years after he took charge he probably did good with what he had, but then things stalled out and it's been blah blah gamepass for too long. Who knows whats going on in those boardrooms as we speak.

Dude is a clown. So yes. But I don't think Xbox has any chance against PS and Nintendo tho :messenger_tongue:

Best thing to MS right now is becoming a third party company. Release all the games on PC, Switch, Xbox, PS, etc.

Last edited:
I'm suffering from a persecusion complex, these threads and polls do not exist, it's a figment of my imagination, or so I'm told :pie_eyeroll:
1JekHdy.jpg

let's start the cycle again buddy. is time for acceptance.

Denton

No, MS has improved significantly under his reign when it comes to supporting PC gaming.

Few mediocre releases do not change that (and tbh, they do put out great games too, just not always third person cinematic AAA action).

Jaybe

Gold Member
Should have made Minecraft console exclusive. Dropped the ball there. Or not, and put all your games on all platforms. Their weird spectrum for what is and isn’t a console exclusive does make much sense.

Roberts

As a fan of stuff like Sea of Thieves and Grounded, I am totally fine with where they are now. Now if only these fuckers restarted their BC and fps boost program…

L*][*N*K

Banned
Microsoft’s current strategy is all built by Phil, now if he resigns and a new guy comes along either he continues what Phil was doing and if that is the case why even replace Phil? And if he is going in a completely new direction then what is that direction? Fire everyone? Gut the gaming division and sell it for scraps? Release 10 AAA game a quarter by making the same deal Sony has with the devil? Apparently you people are expecting a magical solution to a 100+ billion dollar question and that doesn’t exist.

Kacho

His strategy is stale and not working
It's only going to lead to a dead end.

Phil wants us to believe that there's no improving their spot in the console market, even with a bunch of 11/10 bangers. But we're supposed to believe that a bunch of mid tier doo-doo-ware will entice people to sign up to their services and cloud platform. Fuck off, Philbo.

Crayon

Maybe if starfield sales end up fucked because it's all depending on steam. Because I'm not seeing a huge gamepass bump off of that and it's the biggest thing they will have for years.

FrankWza

I'm suffering from a persecusion complex, these threads and polls do not exist, it's a figment of my imagination, or so I'm told :pie_eyeroll:
It's because everyone has to dig up topics from earlier this morning . Obviously we all should have moved on hours ago

killatopak

Really? You do realize there is life after Phil Spencer?
I know, which is why it's important to know who replaces him if he ever steps down.

Especially important to know because we can deduce what strategy xbox will do. Shu Yoshida? Less emphasis on GaaS. Peter Moore? Will probably do marketting deals with sports games.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I know, which is why it's important to know who replaces him if he ever steps down.

Especially important to know because we can deduce what strategy xbox will do. Shu Yoshida? Less emphasis on GaaS. Peter Moore? Will probably do marketting deals with sports games.

Peter Molyneux

Maybe the fabled Fable game would come out at that point.

I would have to gauge the quality of the games that have been announced under his tenure before making a decision. So far, its been a mixed bag with titles like Sea of Thieves, Ori 1 & 2, Grounded, Gears 5, Pentiment, Forza Horizon, and others being high quality games with great reviews and then other titles like Crackdown 3, RedFall, Halo Infinite, and more being mediocre or just downright bad.

The biggest games under his tenure that have yet to release include Hellblade 2, Starfield, Perfect Dark, and Avowed. Most of these titles must be 80+ Metacritic in order for me to want him to continue in his role.

It's only going to lead to a dead end.

Phil wants us to believe that there's no improving their spot in the console market, even with a bunch of 11/10 bangers. But we're supposed to believe that a bunch of mid tier doo-doo-ware will entice people to sign up to their services and cloud platform. Fuck off, Philbo.

It also seems like there’s no consequences for failure

No fire under the ass of any MS studios

Nutella needs to sacrifice Phil in front of Xbox Studios so they see what happens when you continually fail and hopefully that motivates them into action

Pedro Motta

Been watching @davidjaffe take on the interview with KF. I agree with Jaffe. Phil needs help. He's good at the vision, but he needs somebody to help with the execution. So no I don't think he should resign.
I agree with this, the only problem with Phil Spencer is not kicking Matt Booty and others outta there. He needs more competent people with him.

Sorcerer

Phil is the face of Xbox and he's responsible for the people working below him. He cannot be expected, realistically, to be hands on with every project. I think a serious conversations needs to be had with Matt Booty and the studio heads/ project producers.

Also, the fact that their internal mock reviews reviewed this as high as they did is a huge fucking red flag.
Those internal reviews must have been done by asking Bing AI what they thought of the game. LOL!!!
No way anybody internally reviewed this and gave it a pass. Phil Spencer Fables.
Unless the reviewers were bribed with free Ice cream for a positive review.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're in a mood today :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's not about selectively ignoring or promoting, it's just forum clutter having different threads being made with 10 second sound bites from the same interview. It splinters the discussion.
Not in a mood at all.

I'm not the one complaining.

Thabass

Game Pass is his clear claim to fame and it's definitely a game changer, but it didn't turn Microsoft around. He had 10 years. Step down or they should remove him from the position or do something. Maybe give him one more year and see how he does in the next few quarters, but something has to give.

Top Bottom