• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Phil Spencer Step Down / Resign / Do One?

Well, should he?

• Yes

Votes: 312 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 216 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Jones

Gold Member
No because Microsoft will replace him with someone even worse.
whbNaOE.jpg

#aarongreenbergforxboxboss

Get it trending.

I hope to fuck the new boss fires this walking liability.

Riky

$MSFT
They have a showcase next month and they've already released a GOTY contender in Hi Fi Rush, so will pass judgement after the showcase.
If he's greenlit Banjo Threeie then build the statue.

xrnzaaas

Nah, I'd give it a year or two extra so that more first party games launch and we can rate how good they are vs. the wonders we were promised. I don't see his replacement doing better right now.

mortal

Gold Member
I'd maybe wait until after Xbox releases all of their 1st party titles slated for this year before giving the verdict.

Flutta

Banned
Tbh i don't think replacing Phil will help one bit. Their whole management is rotten to the core. They have too much money and almost no passion for gaming. MS just want to take over with any means necessary.

DJ12

They have a showcase next month and they've already released a GOTY contender in Hi Fi Rush, so will pass judgement after the showcase.
It's a Game of the Year, in the sense it was released this year.

It's already out of the top 10 on metacritic, so put down the pipe lad, it's doing you no favours.

Riky

$MSFT
It's a Game of the Year, in the sense it was released this year.

It's already out of the top 10 on metacritic, so put down the pipe lad, it's doing you no favours.
Funny how Metacritic didn't matter when MS won publisher of the year 2021, with the highest score in history. Probably why Phil still has a job.

Also the top ten of Metacritic is made up of ports and remakes, hardly GOTY material, I'll take the new IP myself.

Last edited:
Were I him, I wouldn't move an inch. Make MS fire him or wait until somebody wants to poach you away.

But the Spencer resume has always been mixed. Granted, it's as much his fault as it is the fact that MS has never really understood how to integrate Xbox into the broader company's ambitions.

I'm willing to give him one last chance, if starfield comes out without anything other than the usual (fallout 4, Skyrim) jankiness then yeah.

DJ12

Funny how Metacritic didn't matter when MS won publisher of the year 2021, with the highest score in history. Probably why Phil still has a job.

Also the top ten of Metacritic is made up of ports and remakes, hardly GOTY material, I'll take the new IP myself.
You would.

Your first line is what we call deflecting, usually happens when BS has been called.

The end of the second line rubber stamps this to be the case.

Riky

$MSFT
You would.

Your first line is what we call deflecting, usually happens when BS has been called.

The end of the second line rubber stamps this to be the case.

I doubt I'm alone in liking new games rather than ones I played up to three gens ago, but hey if it fits your narrative and HiFi Rush hurts it/you carry on.

Cyberpunkd

Tbh i don't think replacing Phil will help one bit. Their whole management is rotten to the core. They have too much money and almost no passion for gaming. MS just want to take over with any means necessary.
Except they don't want to, otherwise they would have thrown money at Redfall for example. I think it's quite the opposite - no matter Microsoft as a company the gaming division still needs to justify the amount of money they spend, in front of people that just don't understand gaming and entertainement.

Katatonic

Whats with XBOX and blaming / praising only ONE person. These are huge conglomerates, lets stop acting like little kids.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Phil's done a decent job over the years, but I think it's now time to step down and let somebody else take charge. Possibly let Matt Booty step up to the plate and show us what he's got.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Riky brother, it would have to release and actually be a world class 85+ MC rated 3D Platformer for that to be the case. They turned down Moon's offer to make it, some tinpot studio like Sumo Digital taking on the project would result in yet more pain.

I used to think so, but I don't think so anymore.

I think it's Microsoft. I believe Phil has tried to steer the Xbox ship, he wanted to do certain things but was overridden by higher ups at MS. Those decisions ultimately "failed" but they can't axe Phil because he wasn't the one who ultimately wanted to do it that way. Phil probably has a stay of execution because the times they did listen... it worked out. MS is a big ass tech company, they gonna do big ass tech things. Phil is the head of Xbox, but they only listen to him from time to time.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Dp7f0ma.png

You shouldn't correct someone on their word choice when you don't know the meaning of the word yourself.
Famous means "widely known." Infamous does not mean “not famous” but rather it means "having a reputation of the worst kind." It may help to remember that infamous is related to infamy which means “evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal.”

Hmmmmmm, which word actually applies here, Mr. Wordsmith???

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Famous means "widely known." Infamous does not mean “not famous” but rather it means "having a reputation of the worst kind." It may help to remember that infamous is related to infamy which means “evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal.”

Hmmmmmm, which word actually applies here, Mr. Wordsmith???

Both apply. Ergo, you shouldn't have tried to correct my post. Move along, boy.

Imagine wanting someone to resign after one bad game review when they’re a year removed from winning publisher of year. He’s having record breaking quarters even though they’re not leading in sales. Some of you should never run a business. Lol and the people that want him gone because they see him as threat imagine him living rent free in your head to the point you want the ceo of game company fired that you don’t even care about their console you make fun of all the time.

Phil is the guy that can get you to the hill but he can't get you over it.

They need a more assertive manager to get things in order. In that interview, its clear Phil goes way too easy on the teams and he lets them do what they want which is a big mistake.

Sony and Nintendo don't play around when it comes to quality control and time lines. David Jaffe even mentioned how people were scare when Shuhei Yoshida was coming to review their games.

Xbox needs a guy like Peter Moore again who actually wants to be competitive.

Last edited:

yamaci17

im a pc person, no sides in xbox ps war. if anything phils game pass idea brought me many games at super cheap prices
but he most go if game pass is going to produce stuff like redfall.

Top Bottom