• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Phil Spencer Step Down / Resign / Do One?

Well, should he?

• Yes

Votes: 312 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 216 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansphn

Absolutely. We don't need Sony being the only player in high level gaming and everything in between. Nintendo is only in the low level handheld gaming. Xbox needs new leadership. They should reach out to former PlayStation leaders or Reggie Fil-aimes.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nadella wanted to shut down Xbox HW.

Phil has pivoted Xbox into the subscription, cloud and multiplatform releases market. Keep Phil and go with Nadella's instinct.

Kacho

Does it even matter if they don't plan on staying in the console business? If they get someone that can convince Nutella to stop making services and cloud their primary focus then I'm all for it. I want a back to basics approach from them.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Phil is the face of Xbox and he's responsible for the people working below him. He cannot be expected, realistically, to be hands on with every project. I think a serious conversations needs to be had with Matt Booty and the studio heads/ project producers.

Also, the fact that their internal mock reviews reviewed this as high as they did is a huge fucking red flag.

midnightAI

No Idea Yes GIF by ZIP ZIP

IFireflyl

Gold Member
goddam man lol

anyway, mine (and the user I quoted, no doubt) point was that there's way too many similar threads about it recently.

Lol, I knew that was going to come out sounding harsh. If it helps, I don't think his resigning would fix any of the issues that I, personally, have with Microsoft. I'm fine with Phil staying, but I think Microsoft needs to do better with the mid-upper management that directly works with studios on a regular basis.

Pelta88

A decade in charge and despite having more resources than every competitor combined, XBOX today is in the same position as 2013. Worse because they have a 2.5/3 Billion payment to make to ATVI for a failed acquisition. Couple that with their console tracking worse than XB1. And quaterly reports showing the console sales down 30%, 12% before that, and 11% prior to that etc etc

Phil should absolutely retire and give someone else a chance at the helm.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A decade in charge and despite having more resources than every competitor combined, XBOX today is in the same position as 2013. Worse because they have a 2.5/3 Billion payment to make to ATVI for a failed acquisition.

Phil should absolutely retire and give someone else a chance at the helm.

+ $7 billion spent to get Hi-Fi Rush and Redfall (so far) + money on countless other smaller studios. All of which are yet to yield any games that they wouldn't have ordinarily had anyway without the acquisitions.

Phil isn’t the problem, Microsoft will always be shit when it comes to anything creative. They excel at boring shit like Office, Azure, and Windows they need to spin Xbox off and see how hungry they get without a sugar daddy to saddle up and ride.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm stuck in a time warp listening to Spencer. Announce game, game releases, game is terrible, 'we will learn from this', repeat.

What the fuck? When he said he's looking forward to their showcase this year I just couldn't believe my ears. Redfall was shown off at their last conference, and other major games shown (Forza, Starfield, Silk Song) were all supposed to be out by now.

I don't even hate Phil. Look at the people who he is working with. Sarah Bond, Matt Booty - who the fuck are these people? They are also-rans. Why the fuck are his internal review team playing Redfall and thinking 'this is great'. He's the figurehead but it seems like they are fully staffed with the cast of 2Fast 2 Furious.

Last edited:
Consider this: Square Enix is on an upward swing in quality(aside from Forpsoken), but their leadership keeps making bad bets and odd decisions. By the time their leadership leaves and the company suffers the blowback from their actions, everyone will blame the next leader(s).

I'm saying this to say that sometimes you can be the right guy during the wrong time and the wrong guy during the right time. Which is Phil?

XXL

Yes and I'm going to quote myself from the other thread.

One of the primary traits that separates winners from losers in life (in many aspects) is the belief in yourself that you can win with enough effort, drive and determination.

It's time to move on.

Ozrimandias

I'm assuming that those who voted "no" want to see Xbox burnt to the ground and are huge fans of Sony with a penchant for revenge, misery and suffering... correct?

No, under Phil's command I was first interested in an Xbox, first a One X and now a Series S, as a Playstation user for 20 years, Xbox has been heading in the right direction lately with Gamepass and Xcloud, in addition to the Bethesda purchase. Its improvement service for backward compatible titles is frankly remarkable. Sony is still fighting to see a way to deliver PS3 games on PS5. Sony announced PS Now in 2013 and it still doesn't convince anyone and it's not even available globally. In that sense, Xbox is at least 10 years ahead of Sony. What to say about his poor attempt to include a catalog of classics in a premium service. It is a disaster. I repeat, I am a lifelong Sony user and I see Xbox doing very good things. Phil should still stick around for a few more years, a couple of mediocre releases don't overshadow other areas and let's be honest, Arkane isn't some extraordinary studio that warrants all the outrage.

Top Bottom