• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should remakes cost full price?

Should remakes cost full price?

• Yes

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 45.3%

• Total voters

Spyxos

I know many gamers are looking forward to seeing their old favorite games like Resi 4 or Dead Space again with new and improved graphics. Regardless of whether the game is a masterpiece or just good. Should remakes really be that expensive?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The lines are getting blurred with terminology to the point that this becomes an answer with an asterisk attached, but...

For "remasters," from basic ports to visual upgrades all the way to gameplay tweaks? I'm thinking like the RE1 port for the DS, or a recent (and better, honestly) example, Crisis Core Reunion, I think a price break is the honorable way to conduct business. I'm Square's case for CCR, the updates made to the Battle system and the exploration QoL improvements with the visual boost could have easily justified a full retail price for me, but it's a very transparent way of communicating with your customers. It feels very "We're not gonna act like you guys are complete idiots and say this is a new product from the ground up, here's a discount," and, despite surely being a business strategy in and of itself, it just *feels* warmer and softer than "Yeah, we modernized performance, now give us sixty bucks, you fucking gullible plebs,"

Conversely, for Remakes more along the lines of the big hitters in recent memory - the RE Remakes, FFVII, etc, I personally feel enough new work and new ideas and new material has been produced to justify a full price retail sale.

Tl;dr: I'm willing to pay more for what was obviously more work for the developers. Slapping a PS1 game on a PS5 with an updated opening movie and menu does not a $60 purchase justify.

There are many levels of remakes. Some remakes can barely even be called that, as they really completely new games. Resident Evil 2, for example. Those games are re-imaginings more than remakes.

Stuff that is just graphics, maybe not. TLOU Part One felt pricey. But, I would have no issue with Demon's Souls being full price, as the difference was enormous.

Then, FFVII Remake is an outlier because it really isn't a remake or even a reimagining, but a brand new game in the same universe that just happens to tell its story through stuff like time travel and alternate universes.

Iced Arcade

no BUT price amount should depend on the title.

games like deadspace and RE4 shouldn't be tagged budget price as a lot of work goes into them BUT a lot of work is still already done like: story written, design, functions etc

Last edited:

Fbh

If it's a full on remake, sure, why not?
If you think the asking price is too high just wait a few months and get it once it costs what you think its worth (unless it's a Nintendo game)

Mayar

Neo Member
I think the question is not quite right here, the value of the product should directly depend on the quality and quantity of the work done. We have examples of both very good Remakes and Remasters and very bad ones. In the case when a game is taken, and actually re-assembled by hand from start to finish, everything from models, textures, levels, etc. and this work is done with high quality (As an example - Resident Evil 2,
Metroid Prime or Demon Souls), while new content is also added to the game, then yes, of course, such a Remaster can be worth the full price. But if we look at work like GTA: The Trilogy, or let's say the recently released Tales of Symphonia Remastered, which was clearly created only with the goal of making quick money on famous brands, then of course not.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
They also dropped numerous Wii U ports and a Wii remaster for 60 bucks.

Bobby Moynihan What GIF

Killer8

If the amount of effort being put into it is as much as a new AAA release then I've got no issue paying full price.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Some of the best remakes ever weren’t full price (Prime, Spyro, Crash, TLoU Remastered, Nathan Drake Collection, MCC) so I struggle to say full price is fair when we’ve got amazing compilations like that for dirt cheap.

ZoukGalaxy

Harry Potter No GIF

More seriously,
REMAKE: Can understand it for *true* remake (Demon's Souls is a great example), beside TLOU and Dead Space are truely a mascarade and easy money grabber, they should ashamed to ask full price, they are not remake AT ALL, especially TLOU.

REMASTER: no question, should NEVER ask full price.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I voted yes, because majority of the remakes (at least the ones I've been interested in) have all been worth it IMO.

I say it depends on the content included, assuming extra content, and the time between versions.

So far, I've had absolutely no problem with remake pricing until The Last of Us. Because as much as I love the game... the OG, a remaster, and a remake in less than a decade is ridiculous, lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If it has significant change then I would say it justifies it.

Depends. Is it a FF7/RE4/RE2 Remake?
This has been said before and actual devs said themselves, FFVIIR is not actual remake.
NoU4f3I.png

The "Remake" on the title has different meaning. You see games like RER and RE4R not putting Remake on cover while FFVIIR purposefully put "remake" on title.

Last edited:
Nope. I am not paying $70 for a remake of an old game. No way, no how not ever. They would make so much more money if they would price these games on a case by case basis, and not just automatically price them like a brand new AAA game.

Gambit2483

If it has significant change then I would say it justifies it.

This has been said before and actual devs said themselves, FFVIIR is not actual remake.
NoU4f3I.png

The "Remake" on the title has different meaning. You see games like RER and RE4R not putting Remake on cover while FFVIIR purposefully put "remake" on title.
eIeAVKM.jpg

Semantics Son.

DryvBy

Depends. Capcom really remakes their games while some others remake some aspects. I feel like even how Resident Evil remakes are, they're brand new additions to the series. Dead Space looks really good but it's almost the same game. Story and everything is already done, all they have to do is polish it up.

Remakes: Yes
Remasters: No

But the question arises, when is the appropriate to remaster or remake? I've always found it a little funny when developers release an improved version and guilt-trip the original owners to double-dip lol.

ironmang

It makes sense for games like RE2 and FF7 since they're basically entirely new games. If it just looks like a reskinned version of the original game, especially if already available on that system, then hell no.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Games will cost however much the devs and publishers think they're worth.
Consumers will pay however much they're willing to spend on them.
The price is somewhere in the middle.
Being a remake, a remaster, or a brand new game is irrelevant.

Economics 101.

Mr.Phoenix

Depends. Capcom really remakes their games while some others remake some aspects. I feel like even how Resident Evil remakes are, they're brand new additions to the series. Dead Space looks really good but it's almost the same game. Story and everything is already done, all they have to do is polish it up.
This is a very very very very shallow thing to say or way to look at it.

You do realize, that with game development (especially when talking about remakes)... that `polish it up` part you are dismissing, is what takes years to do right?

Even if the game is identical in layout and general content,(eg, TlouP1, DS, Dead space...etc), the bulk of the work... and we are taking years' worth of it, go into remodeling everything, creating new textures, new animations, applying new and modern rendering methods/effects, sound effects/recordings...etc.

That shit takes time... and money.

I don't even consider RE1/2/3 remakes as remakes, I consider them as reboots. Because they are pretty much different in every way from the core games. RE4 is a remake though.

Top Bottom