• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should remakes cost full price?

Should remakes cost full price?

• Yes

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 45.3%

• Total voters

SCB3

Full on remakes? Yes they are essentially new games, sure some of the underlying work is done but they're still new games, for example, Dead Space, RE4R and Last of Us were remakes and could justify the full price, whether or not the Remake was needed or wanted is a different argument

Now, remasters where it is pretty much the same game but touched up and maybe some light QoL changes, then yea they should not be full price, Zelda Skyward Sword HD is a good example, that game should not have been full price

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really dont care if its 4 hours or 70$.... as long as its something I want and it's worth it

DryvBy

This is a very very very very shallow thing to say or way to look at it.

You do realize, that with game development (especially when talking about remakes)... that `polish it up` part you are dismissing, is what takes years to do right?

Even if the game is identical in layout and general content,(eg, TlouP1, DS, Dead space...etc), the bulk of the work... and we are taking years' worth of it, go into remodeling everything, creating new textures, new animations, applying new and modern rendering methods/effects, sound effects/recordings...etc.

That shit takes time... and money.

I don't even consider RE1/2/3 remakes as remakes, I consider them as reboots. Because they are pretty much different in every way from the core games. RE4 is a remake though.

Ok, and? They're still not writing a new story, they're not coming up with concepts, they're not designing levels from the ground up or thinking of all the art work. They're touching up a game that's conceptually done. Redoing artwork and touching up audio isn't worth full price. Because it's only touching up part of the game.

But by all means, tell yourself they put $70 worth of effort into a remake as they would a brand new game.

I know many gamers are looking forward to seeing their old favorite games like Resi 4 or Dead Space again with new and improved graphics. Regardless of whether the game is a masterpiece or just good. Should remakes really be that expensive?
I assume you know this already and aren’t really as unaware as you make it seem, but these aren’t just remakes. They’re ground-up, basically from scratch full-on remakes, with as much work put into them as you would put into making a new game. It’s way, way, way more than just “new and improved graphics”.

I don’t understand why this keeps coming up as if people really don’t know all this already. After Resident Evil 2 (2019), FFVII R, and now Resident Evil 4 I feel like most of us can agree with the general consensus that they’re basically just new games, made off the basis of old games.

Gambit2483

Anyone that thinks RE4 shouldn't be a full priced game is an absolute moron.
eE2xg35.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
They can sell them for whatever they want to. They put effort into them. I just won't buy them until they drop to a price I'm willing to pay.

DavJay

So many sub terms now. First it was remake and then remaster. Now I think we need to add reimagine as well with FFVII and the recent REs.

Yoboman

Yes

Regardless of your perception of its value, games cost time and money to make and a remake is of far more value than a port or remaster

If you don't agree with the price then don't buy it

Kindela

Banned
Looking at it realistically, of course, as they keep selling for the price they set, so why not.
But if we try to split the game into parts that go into making it, both the original and the remake had to be: programmed, animated, tested, etc. Both had to be physically created.

But only for the original they had to: come up with the idea for it, think of the story, think of the levels and how they'll progress, think of the game economy, think of the characters, combat design, enemies, balancing, etc.

Even if some of these remakes make small modifications, the base is still there to be mostly reused (I'm guessing as I haven't played most of these lol).
So just based on that, I can't imagine remakes needing the same amount of work.

But it's also possible that the amount of time devs need to spend on making things pretty nowadays balances out with building the original from scratch :D

april6e

There is a giant difference between a top to bottom remake like Resident Evil 4 and a remaster/normal remake like Shadow of the Colossus.

The former is worth full price and the latter should be discounted.

There is a giant difference between a top to bottom remake like Resident Evil 4 and a remaster/normal remake like Shadow of the Colossus.

The former is worth full price and the latter should be discounted.

Are you referring to the PS3 remaster of SotC? Because the PS4 version is absolutely a full remake.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because the PS4 version is absolutely a full remake.
Not really, other than graphics, they didn't made any changes to it gameplay, heck both Crisis Core and Nier Replicant 1.22 are considered remasters and yet made more changes to core combat more than SotC on PS4.

In this gen the Remaster are not going to be same as GoW HD on PS3 that only pushed up resolution.

Remakes are significant changes to the core game, adding mechanics and adding new story......actually "remaking" the game, like Capcom did with RE2R and RE4R.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Considering there will always be lots of work the devs won’t have to bother with compared to an original release (writing a story, coming up with a setting etc. etc.) I’d say they shouldn’t be full price. No matter how shiny they look.

But I buy them at full price anyway cause I’m a sucker for nostalgia and often want to see more remakes in the same series.

Last edited:
Not really, other than graphics, they didn't made any changes to it gameplay, heck both Crisis Core and Nier Replicant 1.22 are considered remasters and yet made more changes to core combat more than SotC on PS4.

In this gen the Remaster are not going to be same as GoW HD on PS3 that only pushed up resolution.

It was rebuilt from the ground up in a new engine. It's a Remake. The game is a masterpiece, but the gameplay is so simple that I don't know how you could change it at all without totally altering the experience.

Replicant may indeed only be a remaster, but it's a remaster of a fundamentally different version of the game that was never originally released in the west. Of course it's going to feel significantly different.

I never played either version of FF7CC so I can't speak to that.

Danjin44

t was rebuilt from the ground up in a new engine. It's a Remake.
By that definition then both Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Crisis Core Reunion are remakes? Because both are also build the graphics with new engine.

Remakes should be more than prettying up the graphics, it needs have significant change both gameplay and story, what makes them worth full price.

Heck Bluepoint themselves even mentioned they using original code from SotC to make the PS4 version.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They should cost exactly the amount people are willing to pay for them

Basically no way to be a contrarian for that.

Honestly, repackaging games into new skus to sell what amounts to changing some back-end config files in a lot of cases bothers me more (speaking of console releases). LOL

Here, we changed the resolution and raised the fps cap for you, that'll be $70 for the new ultra most bestest edition.

By that definition then both Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Crisis Core Reunion are remakes? Because both are also build the graphics with new engine.

Remakes should be more than prettying up the graphics, it needs have significant change both gameplay and story, what makes them worth full price.

Heck Bluepoint themselves even mentioned they using original code from SotC make the PS4 version.

If the games are remade, then yes, they are remakes. As far as significant changes to gameplay and story... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Because even if you do people will complain.

If you don't think a graphical upgrade in a new engine is worth a purchase, don't buy them, but don't act like significant work wasn't put into the production.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m satisfied with the remakes and remasters we’ve gotten so far. Maybe a couple of the remasters needed more work (aka GTA). Other than that Tactics Ogre, Chrono Cross, FFVIIIR, etc. I’m having an amazing time with RE4R, so I’m getting my money’s worth for sure. I also felt like I got my money’s worth with Dead Space, Demon’s Souls, TLoU, and etc.

To each their own. Remakes are from the ground up. It’s just the same source material that’s driving the creation of the game. I’d gladly pay full price for that type of effort. Remasters have been good, but again we’ve had a few that could have had a couple more months in the oven. I don’t think it would good for the industry to sell something like Silent Hill 2 or RE4R at a reduced price. We all know games go down in price after a month or so. It takes a while to remake a game and they’ve got to pay their employees to do the work.

Advance Wars 1+2 is out next month at full price. They’ve probably put enough effort into porting it to justify the price. I only see Take Two and Nintendo charging full price for remastered games. It’s not like everyone charges full price. We also have to consider those who just don’t want to pay full price regardless.

Last edited:

skit_data

I have zero issues with remakes being full price.
Remasters should be a bit cheaper IMO.

I think there are better examples of games that have a questionable price, such as sports games.

Danjin44

If the games are remade, then yes, they are remakes. As far as significant changes to gameplay and story... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Because even if you do people will complain.

If you don't think a graphical upgrade in a new engine is worth a purchase, don't buy them, but don't act like significant work wasn't put into the production.
I honestly don’t care about the price, remaster or remake if I like what I see I will buy it full price, I did that with both NieR Replicant 1.22 and Xenoblade DE and will do that with Grimgrimore Oncemore and Advance War 1+2 reboot camp.

With that being said my believe “Remake” is more than graphical upgrade.

Mr.Phoenix

Ok, and? They're still not writing a new story, they're not coming up with concepts, they're not designing levels from the ground up or thinking of all the art work. They're touching up a game that's conceptually done. Redoing artwork and touching up audio isn't worth full price. Because it's only touching up part of the game.

But by all means, tell yourself they put $70 worth of effort into a remake as they would a brand new game.
Anyways, my bad. lets just agree to disagree.

Tams

It's entirely up to the developers as it is their game, not yours.

Now, can you influence the price? Sure. If you think it's too experience just don't buy it.

Chastten

Banned
Sure, why not? If I know I'm gonna enjoy a game, I have no issues paying full price for it. Or even €80 or €100 or whatever. Hell, I did that back in the 90's already, when €100 was still a hell of a lot of money.

I think I'm one of the people on this board that actually like developers being proud of their work and asking a premium if they feel they're worth it. It makes my physical collection of videogame actually look like something that's worth collecting, as opposed to my pile of Xbox 360 games that isn't even worth selling.

Also, I really don't understand people are upset about this whole issue?

For the people who haven't played the original it's essentially a new game, so that would justify the price tag anyways.

For people who have played the original and don't feel like spending €60 on a remake or remaster, just... you know, don't do that and play the original?

Spyxos

I assume you know this already and aren’t really as unaware as you make it seem, but these aren’t just remakes. They’re ground-up, basically from scratch full-on remakes, with as much work put into them as you would put into making a new game. It’s way, way, way more than just “new and improved graphics”.

I don’t understand why this keeps coming up as if people really don’t know all this already. After Resident Evil 2 (2019), FFVII R, and now Resident Evil 4 I feel like most of us can agree with the general consensus that they’re basically just new games, made off the basis of old games.
I just see it differently. For me, these are old games that are being re-released. Sure there was work put in and many things modernized. But they are simply not worth the full price to me.

Sleepwalker

Let's say you're an artist and made a painting then sold it.

15 years later you are inspired or a client requests to reimagine/remake said painting, despite already having produced it once, you still have to put in all the work again to reproduce it with higher quality materials and also improve it by using the knowledge you've gathered in the last 15 years of your artistic career. Should this new work be worth less than your other contemporary paintings?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Let's say you're an artist and made a painting then sold it.

15 years later you are inspired or a client requests to reimagine/remake said painting, despite already having produced it once, you still have to put in all the work again to reproduce it with higher quality materials and also improve it by using the knowledge you've gathered in the last 15 years of your artistic career. Should this new work be worth less than your other contemporary paintings?
This comparison only works if you want an original painting. Most people will just download a jpg. And then print it out and hang it on the wall.

Last edited:
This comparison only works if you want an original painting. Most people will just download a jpg. And then print it out and hang it on the wall.

The thought of people printing out a Monet on their inkjet and scotch-taping it to their wall cracks me up.

But I guess that's what "most people" do

BlackTron

When they do a remake, it's true that a lot of the work is already done. The characters, story, basic framework and level design, etc. Even in a very involved remake, this is true, they skip a lot of work compared to a completely original game. But should we automatically think that this means they should cost less money?

Here's the thing. There's an unspoken rule among all games that the generally normal full price of a console game is about the same regardless of what's in it, going back to olden times. Perfect parity in game releases was never a thing. Pokemon Puzzle League cost the same as Pokemon Stadium. So as long as you know what you are getting out of the game, whatever. If we are going to compare their dev costs under a microscope to figure out what's marginally fair to charge for a remake, you suddenly need to evaluate the value relationship of every game you've ever purchased or it doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom