• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should remakes cost full price?

Should remakes cost full price?

• Yes

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 45.3%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
So, the consensus is;

Remake -

giphy.gif

Remaster -

905.gif

cireza

Nintendo released games for $50 on Wii U, then a few years later, released the port on Switch for $60, after the Wii U version was selling for $20.
They also removed games (or raised prices) from the Wii U eShop when the Switch version was released. I think it happened for Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong.

Last edited:
I just see it differently. For me, these are old games that are being re-released. Sure there was work put in and many things modernized. But they are simply not worth the full price to me.

So exactly part of the game is "old?" And why should games be penalized for having some old stuff in it?

Because I can think of lots of stuff sold as new that has old stuff in it and no one seems to have a problem with it.

Spyxos

The thought of people printing out a Monet on their inkjet and scotch-taping it to their wall cracks me up.

But I guess that's what "most people" do
Not inkjet printer. We have here on every corner like 2 stores that can print it out professionally including framing.

Last edited:

Spyxos

So exactly part of the game is "old?" And why should games be penalized for having some old stuff in it?

Because I can think of lots of stuff sold as new that has old stuff in it and no one seems to have a problem with it.
By old I mean that I already own it in the old version. And for me the new remastered version doesn't offer enough differences to the old one at that price.

diunxx

Sure, personally I don't pay for price for them unless is a game I haven't played but if they cost the same as a brand new AAA title then charge the same as a AAA title.

By old I mean that I already own it in the old version. And for me the new remastered version doesn't offer enough differences to the old one at that price.

Why dont you quantify the "old" part because the way you describe it doesnt make sense to me. Lets take RE4 remake. How much of RE4 remake do you already own? Like what percentage?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Why dont you quantify the "old" part because the way you describe it doesnt make sense to me. Lets take RE4 remake. How much of RE4 remake do you already own? Like what percentage?
I've only played the demo. And I own the original. I'll wait until it's 50% off.

Last edited:
I just see it differently. For me, these are old games that are being re-released. Sure there was work put in and many things modernized. But they are simply not worth the full price to me.
But they are not old games, though. That’s what I’m pointing out. They’re full ground-up new games using the old only as a basis. They are not the remakes that we used to get with just new graphics or higher resolution, or a redone UI.

Not sure I am understanding the basis being used as the distinction to somehow say they aren’t worth a full-priced game. When they are made with the same amount of time and resources as any other game. It just seems like an arbitrary distinction, for these types of remakes.

Last edited:
Yes, they should. 80% people here have no fucking clue what goes into game development and how difficult and time consuming it is whether it's a remake or a new game/ip/sequel.

Honestly $70 is already a very generous price. I am surprised the publisher aren't charging $80 per game this gen. Which is what they should be doing considering how expensive game dev and marketing is these days.

Last edited:

Spyxos

But they are not old games, though. That’s what I’m pointing out. They’re full ground-up new games using the old only as a basis. They are not the remakes that we used to get with just new graphics or higher resolution, or a redone UI.

Not sure I am understanding the basis being used as the distinction to somehow say they aren’t worth a full-priced game. When they are made with the same amount of time and resources. It just seems like an arbitrary distinction, for these types of remakes.
That's the thing for me they are old games in a new look.

NahaNago

That's the thing for me they are old games in a new look.
I think the issue for some is might be because of updates or fan mods that gaming has since a remake of a movie would just be regular new full price. PC gaming just keeps updating the game so that they can continue selling the game as the hardware gets better but console is usually a one and done fix the bugs and move on to the next game and maybe think about doing something with the game 15 years later.

I'm more of it depends on the remake/game.

Last edited:

Spyxos

So you cant actually quantify why RE4 remake should not be full price then?
As I said, these games will never be worth the full price to me. For you they are, for me they are not. I've played Dead Space Remake and pretty much all the other big remakes.

killatopak

Yes. Quality has a price. If the quality isn’t up to par, simply don‘t buy it until it is on sale on a price you can afford.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't know if they should. I don't have enough data to support whatever they are doing. I only know I don't buy them at full price. I don't actually buy much at full price.

Not sure I am understanding the basis being used as the distinction to somehow say they aren’t worth a full-priced game. When they are made with the same amount of time and resources as any other game. It just seems like an arbitrary distinction, for these types of remakes.
Yeah. It's like how sometimes you have a French film that was remade by Hollywood in English. Does it mean the remake is somehow LESS than the original French production?

Originality is nice, but adaptations are not bad. And many of the remakes are entirely rebuilt and don't even carry the same code in it anymore.

remakes/remasters no matter how good should not cost full price. Original and new games only should. Im glad we got RE4R and Dead Space R but if you think about it, we played these before or at least some of us did, I'd rather get some new and exciting stories.

njean777

Depends for me, if it is a lot of work like the new RE Remakes/FF7/Dead Space then I don't mind. But if it is like just a resolution boost and nothing much more then no.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Graphical remasters pretending to be remakes, such as TLOU1 (which was full next-gen only price) and SOTC (which wasn't full price), absolutely not.
Proper remakes, such as Resident Evil 2 and Dead Space, I'm quite happy to pay full price for.

Yeah. It's like how sometimes you have a French film that was remade by Hollywood in English. Does it mean the remake is somehow LESS than the original French production?

Originality is nice, but adaptations are not bad. And many of the remakes are entirely rebuilt and don't even carry the same code in it anymore.
Exactly! You said it better than I ever could

Graphical remasters pretending to be remakes, such as TLOU1 (which was full next-gen only price) and SOTC (which wasn't full price), absolutely not.
Proper remakes, such as Resident Evil 2 and Dead Space, I'm quite happy to pay full price for.
That’s the whole problem I think with this discussion. Is they are so much more than just remakes, that I think using the word remake doesn’t illustrate what they are/ the work done on them. People see it’s a “remake” and they make their judgements that it’s not really a new game, so as “remakes” like this become more common, I think we need to find a new word. “Full Reimagining”? Something like that, maybe?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ff7, dead space, re4,re2 should be $60. Not $70 because they are clearly last Gen games.

Tlou part 1, and demon souls should be $40 like sotc was last Gen. A simple asset flip with very minor gameplay changes. If the level design is being redone, if the bosses are being redone, if the combat is being changed then yes charge full price.

They should cost whatever people are willing to pay for them. RE4R is $60 and I'm willing to pay that simply because I love the original game. If they think it would sell at $100, they should sell it as such, but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

And stop going after those who say "it's not worth it" because what you think holds value, others might not. Nothing wrong with that either.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Full on remakes? Yes they are essentially new games, sure some of the underlying work is done but they're still new games, for example, Dead Space, RE4R and Last of Us were remakes and could justify the full price, whether or not the Remake was needed or wanted is a different argument

Now, remasters where it is pretty much the same game but touched up and maybe some light QoL changes, then yea they should not be full price, Zelda Skyward Sword HD is a good example, that game should not have been full price
Saying RE4 and TLOU are Remakes of the same quality is just wrong.

Laptop1991

Depend's on the remake, if it has everything the original game had and more and looks better then yeah, but if it has just better graphics and leaves mechanics out like the trains and trams with Mafia or no mp3 player like the GTA DEF Edition's then no.

Neff

Still waiting for TLOU Part 1 to be 20 bucks.

Pretty much. They've changed almost nothing outside of the visuals and that's not enough of an incentive for me to double dip on a game I've beaten several times.

Dead Space makes some worthwhile changes to add flavour and surprises, but it's still basically the same game all said and done.

RE4 pays respects to the original, and retains a few familiar rooms for nostalgic purposes, but otherwise it's legitimately a brand new game and I happily would have paid twice what I did for it. In fact it stands alongside REmake as a definitive blueprint for reworking a classic.

SCB3

Saying RE4 and TLOU are Remakes of the same quality is just wrong.
I'm not saying that, but they are both full remakes, granted TLoU Part 1 was or seems like a minor remake at best but it still was

You can of course make the argument that RE4R is a reimagining of course

oji-san

Banned
No, but also full price shouldn't be $70 for new games, at least for me as what i earn.. so only buying games after some discount.

OP and people asking similar questions - you're asking the wrong question.

The question should be, "Should I get a better job and stop being so cheap?"

Remakes of games younger than a decade should be $20 at most. Older should be $40 if it's just a 1:1 remake with better graphics and a few tweaks, $60 if it's an actual remake which overhauls a lot of stuff(like FF7R).

Top Bottom