• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony Release PS4 Exclusives on the PC 3 to 4 Years After Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmackem

No they gain nothing by doing so, people forget ms has vested interest in PC them doing it with thier games has a reason, Sony has zero interest in PC and bringing thier games to PC weakens the appeal of buying a Sony console.

Melchiah

Yarrrrr - if there were one word I could remove entirely from the English language, it would be fanboys. It just doesn't help any discussion, if only because people can end-up focusing on that word.

(it's a close run thing between that and "irregardless", though)

It's an attempt to belittle the opposing side's argument, without actually making a good counterargument, but it tends to do the exact opposite.

Why the fuck not? Every game should be on all the popular game platforms.
Exclusives benefit the first parties not the average gamer.
That's hardly a benefit for gamers when half of them can't play it.
It makes business sense but it's still an dick move.
I don't want to spend 300+Whatever the disks cost for 3-5 games. I got burned that way last gen.

Every game should be on PC, am I right?

Funding the costs of creating games, which wouldn't exist otherwise, for your own platform is a dick move? Does that also apply to Nintendo?

So, you want them to change their corporate strategy, and pay commission for Valve to have them on Steam, just so you could have those 3-5 games without buying the system? Seems like a pretty entitled attitude to me.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
the first party games are not there to make money (apart from some exceptions like Uncharted, Gow) but to push hardware

Shuhei Yoshida himself said, that out of 10 exclusives only 4 make money (just google it)

So no OP - this won't happen

Why did they close down Evo then?

Melchiah

Why did they close down Evo then?

Perhaps because more than one of their games didn't do that good, and racers aren't unfortunately as popular as they used to be. Although, they couldn't obviously do anything about the earthquake that affected the release of MotorStorm: Apocalypse.

Sure, if they want to cannibalize their console business, they should go right ahead.

Can't believe this has hit 16 pages, as others have stated, it's a testament to Sony's E3 showing.

Gaogaogao

Lmfao.

Or they can just wait to play the sequel on PC...

Of course it would hurt them.

You want those unique games, you buy a ps4, period.

I will never buy an Xbox one since I can get all the games on PC.

Why don't you ask for Nintendo to release Zelda on PC while you're at it.

As for emulation, it's NEVER happening. Modern protection is too strong. Ps4 can't be hacked and it's impossible to reverse engineer or decrypt anything it does. You ll never see a wii u emulator also.

"never" you say

Henrar

Sony is not as stupid as MS, release first party to a platform without total control diminish a platform they have total control make no sense for them.

Maybe when PC running PlayStation OS with PSN as exclusive store, they might release exclusive on that.

Microsoft isn't stupid either. They do have , in contrast to Sony, an interest in supporting PC gaming. It's called Windows 10. Sony doesn't have that and therefore they don't care.

Sure, if they want to cannibalize their console business, they should go right ahead.

Can't believe this has hit 16 pages, as others have stated, it's a testament to Sony's E3 showing.

Already sony stated that one of the reason for PS4 Neo is stopping people jumping to PC and its very clear that they will never release their big AAA games on PC ever, because they know that it will stop people buying consoles for exclusives in the long term and they will lose their platform share. Only way to allow them to play is through streaming service PS Now.

It's not going to happen with their main exclusives like Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War, Bloodborne etc, but after Helldivers and EGttR I think they should do this more often for smaller digital releases 9-12 months after they've launched on Playstation. I mean, it will get them more sales (last I checked Helldivers was well over 200k on Steam), get them goodwill with the PC audience and it's unlikely to affect their sales on PS platforms to a notable degree.

Melchiah

It's not going to happen with their main exclusives like Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War, Bloodborne etc, but after Helldivers and EGttR I think they should do this more often for smaller digital releases 9-12 months after they've launched on Playstation. I mean, it will get them more sales (last I checked Helldivers was well over 200k on Steam), get them goodwill with the PC audience and it's unlikely to affect their sales on PS platforms to a notable degree.

Agreed, and it benefits the smaller independent studios as well.

Apply the same logic for Nintendo games and you realise the answer.

You could likely at most get smaller indie titles funded by Sony on PC after a long period but anything else regarding marquee titles is a pipe dream.

hesido

Too much hassle for little business return.

They'd need to change the way the games are programmed / designed, even. I'm sure not having to think about missing API features on PC's helped at least for some graphical features of UC4, for example. (Not saying it does anything that is impossible of PC's, but having access to the entire range of hardware features should help on occasions)

Saty

Small forum of video game enthusiasts with twisted perceptions on the importance of exclusives on driving a 40M+ selling console. As usual.

But then we you ask 'why don't you play on pc' you get a laundry list or reasons. Price, plug&play, physical copies + secondhand market, no system maintenance, no hassling with settings, controller uniformity, no cheating online, friends, living room experience, local coop, 'free' games, Bluray player, media apps and the like.
But as soon as you're to suggest a handful of games not being exclusive, all these salient points vanish and we're supposed to believe these points held by the most knowledgeable don't apply to the wide mainstream market.

At least there will be no objection to Sony's exclusive digital titles, right? Helldivers and Rapture came to PC and the world kept spinning and the PS4 kept selling. No reason not to bring Resogun and Shadow of the Beast, right?

Sony could put out one title and test it out, check the metrics and do the math. And then decide if they'd want to do it again. Better than just not acting because of assumptions and presumptions or what gaming forum users say.

madmackem

Small forum of video game enthusiasts with twisted perceptions on the importance of exclusives on driving a 40M+ selling console. As usual.

But then we you ask 'why don't you play on pc' you get a laundry list or reasons. Price, plug&play, physical copies + secondhand market, no system maintenance, no hassling with settings, controller uniformity, no cheating online, friends, living room experience, local coop, 'free' games, Bluray player, media apps and the like.
But as soon as you're to suggest a handful of games not being exclusive, all these salient points vanish and we're supposed to believe these points held by the most knowledgeable don't apply to the wide mainstream market.

At least there will be no objection to Sony's exclusive digital titles, right? Helldivers and Rapture came to PC and the world kept spinning and the PS4 kept selling. No reason not to bring Resogun and Shadow of the Beast, right?

Sony could put out one title and test it out, check the metrics and do the math. And then decide if they'd want to do it again. Better than just not acting because of assumptions and presumptions or what gaming forum users say.
What do they gain from it? We know what ms gains from it they are pushing uwp and Windows 10, it makes sense for them. Sony would gain minimal cash gains while making the system they want people to buy less appealing. Small titles like you say come to PC and a lot of the deals Sony do second party wise say they are coming to PC and ps4, but the big triple a Sony first party titles they use to push there hardware and make it stand out from Xbox and Nintendo nah little chance of that.

Pixieking

Banned

Yeah... People say "Oh, Sony have already done the math, there's no point." Sure they've done the math - Helldivers on PC is published by a Sony division, which says something about the math on a smaller digital title, at the least.

AlfeG

I tried to make this point yesterday, but was told that third-party exclusives are different to first-party exclusives.

Which is weird when you think about something like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne - third party dev, paid for by Sony, obviously system-sellers - and contrast with Helldivers and Rapture. The latter two are also third party dev, paid for by Sony, but not system-sellers (that is, no-one has bought a PS4 just for Rapture, I'm pretty sure), and on PC.

Could it just be as simple as people using the word exclusive when they kind-of-mean IP? Because that would make a lot more sense.

Ohh, I got a point. So basically, lets find out why Microsoft not releasing their games on Linux.

Melchiah

watching corporate zealots authoritatively extend their bony palms to present the phrase "port begging" as if it holds some kind of moral weight is one of the sadder sights on this board.

i'm no GAF historian, but the ban came about because it killed conversation. threads on newly announced became derailed within a couple of posts and melted into a shitfight.

to see people try and summon its name in a transparent attempt to completely shut down conversation over the innately anti consumer nature of platform exclusives, and their place in an industry where increasingly the ecosystem is king, is a tragic and desperate thing to behold. invoking the ban in an attempt to do the exact opposite of what it was put in place to do.

Seems like a contradiction, as Sony's and Nintendo's ecosystems rely on the exclusives. And what exactly makes their 1st party exclusives anti-consumer?

EDIT:
Ohh, I got a point. So basically, lets find out why Microsoft not releasing their games on Linux.

Heh. Or iOS for that matter.

Caronte

What a lot of you don't get is the royalties part of the business. Something like Uncharted would sell more if it was also released on PC, but if that means someone decides not to get a PS4 for that reason, and get everything on PC, they'd lose more than they would gain, because a lot of their income comes from royalties from third party games.

Nintendo would benefit more releasing their games on PC (because of their non-existant third party support) than Sony. And that's assuming they would create their own store, and not sell their games on Steam losing 30% to Valve (which they would be forced to, since a lot of people don't buy games on PC unless they're on Steam).

madmackem

Yeah... People say "Oh, Sony have already done the math, there's no point." Sure they've done the math - Helldivers on PC is published by a Sony division, which says something about the math on a smaller digital title, at the least.
I doubt someone is thinking ohhh hell divers is on PC saves me buying a ps4 then.

Pixieking

Banned
I doubt someone is thinking ohhh hell divers is on PC saves me buying a ps4 then.

Exactly. Certainly for the larger IP I can see people not buying a PS4 and waiting for the PC version, but you can't really generalise every exclusive/IP as having the same pull.

petran79

Banned
You buy a PS4 and a PC for different reasons. No console can substitute a PC or vice versa

While not a Sony first party exclusive, releasing this title on PC for the first time and on day 1 is a major step forward. In the 90s that title alone was a Playstation system seller to a scale not even Uncharted, Bloodborne or Last of Us could match. A lot of players would have bought a PS4 for Tekken alone. You save also a lot by not having to buy a new arcade stick, unlike the PS4 and XB1 versions. Same for racing games and wheel controllers.
Now only VF5:FS remains....

d8acd79fb39327133d4555a8a61e750209b14a51f8d78adda54dcec3376a6a68.jpg

timberger

Genuinely cringed at a number of posts in this thread.

watching corporate zealots authoritatively extend their bony palms to present the phrase "port begging" as if it holds some kind of moral weight is one of the sadder sights on this board.

i'm no GAF historian, but the ban came about because it killed conversation. threads on newly announced became derailed within a couple of posts and melted into a shitfight.

to see people try and summon its name in a transparent attempt to completely shut down conversation over the innately anti consumer nature of platform exclusives, and their place in an industry where increasingly the ecosystem is king, is a tragic and desperate thing to behold. invoking the ban in an attempt to do the exact opposite of what it was put in place to do.

That's a pretty solid impression of a pompous blowhard.

Oh god I hope they do just for the reaction threads.

I can buy a used ps4 for real cheap after the NEO announcement and then get copies of their exclusives used.

Or I can buy them digital direct from Sony on PC.

Their call on which earns them more money from me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

I can buy a used ps4 for real cheap after the NEO announcement and then get copies of their exclusives used.

Looks like used PS4 for you. I doubt they're hurting or even give a shit if you buy a used PS4.

-d0hv

I sort of want it to be like the old school in this regard. Keep them exclusive so that years from now the console still has its own unique identity.

You buy a PS4 and a PC for different reasons. No console can substitute a PC or vice versa

While not a Sony first party exclusive, releasing this title on PC for the first time and on day 1 is a major step forward. In the 90s that title alone was a Playstation system seller to a scale not even Uncharted, Bloodborne or Last of Us could match. A lot of players would have bought a PS4 for Tekken alone. You save also a lot by not having to buy a new arcade stick, unlike the PS4 and XB1 versions. Same for racing games and wheel controllers.
Now only VF5:FS remains....

d8acd79fb39327133d4555a8a61e750209b14a51f8d78adda54dcec3376a6a68.jpg
How do you know Tekken 7 doesn't support legacy sticks?

Taruranto

Idealistically one should want all games available on PC at some point for conservation sake, but it will never happen, plus some people love a brand more like they love a family member.

Will you buy it on Steam only or are they allowed to launch their own games on their own client?

Ke0

I don't think Sony has to or is under any obligation to in my opinion. Sony's focus is PS4 and their other console products, and that is where it ends. They don't owe PC gamers in any sense because PC gaming has never been a market they've targeted or made promises to.

The reason why gamers demand games from MS is because MS promises that they'll do right by PC gamers and many times fail to, Windows is also MS's platform and thus on some level are obligated to provide software for that platform (again, this is also due in part to the fact they've made promises to PC gamers on the Windows platform).

If Sony starts speaking on PC gaming in general and making promises to the PC gamer then yea I will expect to see Sony exclusives/IP on the platform.

They did publish Helldivers and Rapture recently on PC so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Maybe team up with Valve and get PSN trophies integrated on Steam.

SalvaPot

Nintendo should go third party while we are at it. /s

Honestly, Microsoft can get away with it because either way they are getting sales and interest in their platforms. Sony will just reduce the value of their brands.

They did publish Helldivers and Rapture recently on PC so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Maybe team up with Valve and get PSN trophies integrated on Steam.

Small games outsourced games maybe, but no major first party games. I'm sure Sony is dying to giving Valve a huge chunk of their revenue. This is all a pipe dream.

Sony really did kill E3 though and the thirst is real and intensifying.

Shin-chan

I wonder what the reason is that you don't tend to see these threads for Nintendo games these days. Is it because their games and IP are so entrenched in their brand that it's inconceivable that they will appear anywhere else until the time they decide to exit the hardware business?

Maybe the issue for Sony is that they don't use IP that are as old as the PlayStation itself and there isn't this same instant connection that people make between, say Uncharted and God of War and PlayStation as with Mario and Zelda and Nintendo. One set of games are AAA games, the other set are Nintendo games.

I know there are plenty of people asking for Nintendo to go third party all of the time, but that isn't the same as the requests in this thread which are specifically asking for Sony IPs to appear on PC regardless of other platforms.

Anteater

there's no reason for them to especially if they're aiming to push their own higher spec hardware midway through the console cycle

Dargor

I tried to make this point yesterday, but was told that third-party exclusives are different to first-party exclusives.

Which is weird when you think about something like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne - third party dev, paid for by Sony, obviously system-sellers, not on PC - and contrast with Helldivers and Rapture. The latter two are also third party dev, paid for by Sony, but not system-sellers (that is, no-one has bought a PS4 just for Rapture, I'm pretty sure), and on PC.

Could it just be as simple as people using the word exclusive when they kind-of-mean IP? Because that would make a lot more sense.

At which point, it also becomes clearer cut - reframe the question as:

"Should Sony Release PS4 Uncharted/Last Guardian/Bloodborne on the PC 3 to 4 Years After Release?"

Answer: Well, no, that would be silly. Even I'm saying that, and I think exclusives are stupid. :)

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are first party. Helldivers and Rapture are third party, partly funded by Sony.

Being made by an independent studio (aka not owned by sony) does not make a difference when deciding if a game is third or first party, the IP being owned or not does.

Guess which of those four games are owned by Sony and those who aren't ;P

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are first party. Helldivers and Rapture are third party, parttly funded by Sony.

Being made by an independent studio (aka not owned by sony) does not make a difference when deciding if a game is third or first party, the IP being owned or not does.

Guess which of those for games are owned by Sony and those who aren't ;P

Sony owns Rapture and Helldivers. I see that as them testing the waters. While I don't think they'll ever do a same-day PC release, I think something like PS Now on PC seems highly likely given that they've already said they want that service on more devices.

Dargor

Sony owns Rapture and Helldivers. I see that as them testing the waters. While I don't think they'll ever do a same-day PC release, I think something like PS Now on PC seems highly likely given that they've already said they want that service on more devices.

Wow, this is new to me. Well maybe sony will be releasing their games on pc after all lol.

Shin-chan

I think it's more them striking a deal with formerly PC exclusive devs stating that they can port the titles to PC after release on PS4. For example, Resogun hasn't been ported despite being a prime contender likely because Housemarque has very little presence on PC (I believe Outland is the only title which was a late port).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom