• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony Release PS4 Exclusives on the PC 3 to 4 Years After Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd benefit consumers, but not Sony. They wouldn't do it.

If there was an open gaming platform that guaranteed free access going forward then it'd be great, but we normally get ports based on closed APIs that force people to use a specific OS, a specific version of that OS or even a specific store on that OS.

Freeman

Banned
What I think Sony could do is have a PC Storefront for third-party games with cross-buy with PS4. Get a foothold on PC, make some money. Publish only the games that make sense (maybe VR games or the rare game they sometimes publish on PC). Maybe add some strategy games to their portfolio.

Its a way to cater for owners of both a PC and PS4 while also making some extra money from them.

No disadvantage I can seen, other than possibly making it easy for people to eventually change to PC but it also works the other way around.

Now the only reasons to release you exclusives is if your platform just failed and is unsustainable.

tumblr_n2yhvtTR8O1t9hyr4o1_500.jpg
That is true. Not that it matters in this case.

But as of right now, if I'm not incorrect you can't pirate PS4 games.

Salaadin

How are things working with Kojimas new game? Isn't Sony funding it? Cerny producing? But it's s timed exclusive with eventual PC release.

Also, didn't they partially fund SF5? I thought I read that somewhere.

I seriously doubt if ps4 exclusives went to pc that it would kill the platform.

Not instantly, but slowly in the long term as many already know that PS exclusives will eventually come to PC and they wont buy their games from console unless its 90+ which will also slowly decrease. Many people here in gaf owns PS4 only for exclusives and if they think we can play them in future then will not buy PS4 thinking to play their exclusives. Also everyone will start to doubt their exclusivity which can create confusion and make people think that every game will come to PC sooner or later so they can wait.

Zaventem

Etc are far more important than 1 exclusive game or series.

I bought a PS4 because of the Bloodobrne announcement, them actually having 1st party studios and not constantly buying timed exclusives was another big + for me to make my decision to switch from 360. So i'll say it still does a hell of a lot.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No, just get a ps4... Thread sounds like a low-key port begging thread. Mad suspect..

You can look up my PSN tag, its the same as my GAF. I've got several PS exclusives. I'm still working towards my platinum in Bloodborne... got side tracked by Downwell. I just know I would repurchase something like Bloodborne on the PC many years after release to bump up the FPS to crazy levels, add in some silly mods and such.

I don't think it's that simple anymore.
Multi platform games are enormous.

Networks
Where your friends are.
Media features
Price

Etc are far more important than 1 exclusive game or series.

I think exclusives sell consoles is an school way of thinking.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, everything you listed is a perk and not something you buy a platform for, price may be the exception, people buy system to play a handful of games they have in mind. They then evaluate which system they want by looking at their exclusive games.

Toki767

So what? I didn't say that piracy on PC didn't exists, i said that's not a problem because it's not hurting sales. People who pirating games never intended to buy this game, but there is a lot people who buying games on PC because Steam and GOG provided good services to their customers.

Most people on PC buy them when they're dirt cheap.

The common mentality among Steam users is along the lines of "I'll pick it up when it's on sale" rather than "I'm buying it Day 1"

Kilau

Gold Member
I think if Sony felt this was a viable way to make money they would have done this already. They have talked about games as a service for awhile now so I don't think it's just them being stubborn or having failed to realize this idea is so great.

The reason MS is doing this is because they have a unique position with Windows 10 and their whole reason for bringing their exclusives to Windows is to get PC gamers into the Xbox ecosystem.

DieH@rd

Banned
lol no

But I can see PSNow with PS1+PS2+PS3 support eventually landing on PC if Sony really wants to push it. But even that is not likely.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

These tweets and this article went up a few days after the game was made available for sale, and is hardly representative of, well, anything.

If we take the current Steamspy numbers into account, The Witness has earned a little over $4 million from the PC version alone, and it's not even a year old. I'd say it's doing fine!

On the subject of if Sony should release their exclusives on PC - They're already allowing former (third party) exclusives go, like Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, but it's far from the norm. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't count on it.

sn00zer

As a life long PS fan....I dont think I would care. Played PC for a number of years and it was just never worth the hassle. Sony games going multiplat wouldn't change my mind and wouldnt convince me to get a PC.

epmode

The common mentality among Steam users is along the lines of "I'll pick it up when it's on sale" rather than "I'm buying it Day 1"

*citation needed*

PC sales of big games are routinely comparable to console so long as the port is decent and it's available on day one. Look at MGS5 and Dark Souls 3.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Why won't people understand that Sony will never ever never ever put their exclusives on anything but a PlayStation ? The PlayStation brand is keeping Sony alive. The PlayStation brand is probably the most important brand in the gaming world, Sony isn't going to jeopardize that.

-d0hv

Pixieking

Banned
Not instantly, but slowly in the long term as many already know that PS exclusives will eventually come to PC and they wont buy their games from console unless its 90+ which will also slowly decrease. Many people here in gaf owns PS4 only for exclusives and if they think we can play them in future then will not buy PS4 thinking to play their exclusives. Also everyone will start to doubt their exclusivity which can create confusion and make people think that every game will come to PC sooner or later so they can wait.

Major flaw with this? Can you play PS3 games on your PS4? Can you play PS2 games on your PS4? Will you be able to play PS4 games on your PS5 (probably not)?

I can see the line-of-reasoning that PS exclusives should stay exclusive during the life of the console - I don't agree with it, but it's fair. But, let's take Demon's Souls. Who here is going to buy a new PS3 and new copy of Demon's Souls? So why not release on PC, and get a new audience and extra revenue?

(btw, not port-begging Demon's Souls, just using it as an example. :) )

They should, but it wouldn't be a smart decision on their part. I'm all up for every game to hit PC eventually due to the platform's flexibility, but at the same time those consoles need a reason to be bought. No long term exclusives? No reason to ever touch the console.

jayu26

What I think Sony could do is have a PC Storefront for third-party games with cross-buy with PS4. Get a foothold on PC, make some money. Publish only the games that make sense (maybe VR games or the rare game they sometimes publish on PC). Maybe add some strategy games to their portfolio.

...and start a battle with Steam? I am not saying that Steam should dominate PC market, but Sony has a good thing going. Fighting Steam isn't part of that good thing.

A lot of port begging going on right now. Plus I'm sure Sony doesn't want to hear what a lot have said about not needing an Xbox One now that their games are on PC as well. 3-4 years after release seems pointless if they don't dedicate any publishing or marketing for the re-releases, which is an expense as well. This is assuming you mean just throwing them out for no particular reason.

That being said as a consumer it doesn't affect me. I'll still be buying their games on PS4 and potentially PS5 as PlayStation is my platform of choice for gaming. So from that perspective I say go for it.

Best wishes.

Making exclusive is anti customer now?
When does this become a thing?
It sounds good to say.

Totally ignores the reality of the business side of this idea which in turn would affect the game development side which in turn would have a negative impact on consumers, but heyho, let's ignore that!

HariKari

"Playstation" should be a Steam style windows app with all of their games in it, same as Microsoft is doing. Or just sell them on Steam.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's not a bad idea in some respects.

The reason to do it...from a platform point of view I suppose the point is if they can make someone fall in love with a franchise or franchises by playing the games on PC, and if that person values immediacy, it may become attractive to that person to buy a PS4 to buy the next game in that franchise as soon as it becomes available rather than waiting the 2 or 3 years for it to arrive on the 'PC outreach' programme. If that user does buy into Sony's system for more immediate access to Sony's content, then that's a new user that is now more invested in Sony's ecosystem, and Sony has a chance to attract more of their content dollars.

However Sony has a more likely vehicle for this kind of outreach - PS Now. I kind of thought at E3 that they'd announce the next phase for PS Now's roll out, including the beginnings of PS4 content.

You saying this like console owners buying all games Day 1 at full price, your statement is hyperbole. And you forgetting about people who buying retail console games and then trading them back to stores. Should we consider that this mentality somehow hurting sales?

The only reason I buy Playstation Consoles are for the exclusives and I am sure many others do the same. They would be hurting themselves if people knew their exclusive games were going to be released down the line on PC.

blazeuk

From a consumer point of view it'd be great if they actually released them sooner than even 3-4 years but they clearly won't because it sells their platform which provides their main source of revenue. MS are going in the direction of believing both console and PC markets should crossover which is fantastic for us but I suppose it's easier for them to make that call since they want to encourage use of their own store on Windows.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Major flaw with this? Can you play PS3 games on your PS4? Can you play PS2 games on your PS4? Will you be able to play PS4 games on your PS5 (probably not)?

I can see the line-of-reasoning that PS exclusives should stay exclusive during the life of the console - I don't agree with it, but it's fair. But, let's take Demon's Souls. Who here is going to be a new PS3 and new copy of Demon's Souls? So why not release on PC, and get a new audience and extra revenue?

(btw, not port-begging Demon's Souls, just using it as an example. :) )

This was my thinking. Maybe I should have mentioned after the generation it was released in is over or a larger gap in time. I would love to play Demon Souls on my PS3 and I'm not sure Sony will rerelease it at this point. Who knows I'd love if they did but releasing in on the PC could net them a whole slew of sales.

wapplew

Why limit PC, just release it everywhere, just become thrid party. Why HBO don't broadcast their show on every channel? Thats very anti customer.

Why won't people understand that Sony will never ever never ever put their exclusives on anything but a PlayStation ? The PlayStation brand is keeping Sony alive. The PlayStation brand is probably the most important brand in the gaming world, Sony isn't going to jeopardize that.

-d0hv

People don't seem to understand how different Sony and MS' business interests are despite the fact that they are competing in the home console space. "One does it so the other should too!" is a really shallow way of looking at things. Sony doesn't have a PC ecosystem they are trying to keep people in. People who talk about these kinds of business dealings being "anti consumer" sound like they are 13.

Kilau

Gold Member
You can look up my PSN tag, its the same as my GAF. I've got several PS exclusives. I'm still working towards my platinum in Bloodborne... got side tracked by Downwell. I just know I would repurchase something like Bloodborne on the PC many years after release to bump up the FPS to crazy levels, add in some silly mods and such.

Well maybe you can...on PS6 Neo.

Aiustis

Yes.

Here's a few reasons why:

1) Sony don't have to explicitly say they're doing PC versions of their exclusives when they release. Have, say, 4/5 year gap between PS4 and PC release, and they'll have made most of the revenue that they were ever going to on the PS4. The initial PS4 consumer won't feel bummed, because a 5 year gap is a decent amount of time. Certain games would even be last-generation (I'm looking at you, Demon's Souls!), if the gap was longer.

2) Not every buy the consumer makes has money going to Sony. Buy a second-hand PS4 and second-hand Bloodborne. What money has Sony seen? Oh, sure, I might buy other games in the PS ecosystem, but why wouldn't I just buy second-hand games? PC sales (tied to, say, Steam) are money every-step of the way (excluding bundled-with-graphics-cards codes). No second-hand sales lost - it's extra revenue all the way through.

3) As I said in the XBox exclusivity thread, not every exclusive game is a System-Seller. Some games, the consumer will just not buy, rather spend money buying a console just to play it. As I said in a different thread:

4) At least one game that people thought was a Sony exclusive is already on Steam. Has it hurt anyone?

This is a biggie for me. If I'm buying consoles and console games and outside of WiiU and 3ds, I go used.

Edit: I don't think the majority of console gamers would ever play on anything but their chosen consoles because that's what they like.

Carl

Port begging is going into a thread about a game that was announced for platform X and asking for it to be released on platform Y. Nothing in this thread is port begging.

Really, cause it seems like that's the entire point of the thread

le.phat

Sony's exclusives are the drivers between setting the console apart frim the rest. Sony caregully grows and manages its teams to play to the brand's strength. No need to dilute your brand when you're ahead of the pack.

There are people in this thread saying "Just buy them second hand years down the line" which brings no revenue, buying at 75% off alteast earns some money.

And that's ignoring the many titles that sold great on PC on Day 1.

UCBooties

Yes, they should, this whole exclusive thing is ridiculous and anticonsumer. People who didn't bought console on release date of those game will not buy it 3 or 4 years later. Personally i won't buy any console only because of exclusive games, there is no game that can justify console purchase if you are PC gamer. If their games like Uncharted or Bloodborne will be available on PC, i'll probably buy them day one, but Sony don't want to get my money so i don't care about them too.

Except that people do. It is very common at the end of the console lifecycle. Not all consumers share your preferences.

OP: Even if Sony found your reasons compelling (which they most likely won't for the reasons laid out in this thread) they would still need to pay a developer to port the game to PC. There's no way they could get away with selling the port of a 4 year old game at full price so they'd have to believe that the amount of sales would justify the cost of the port. That alone would be the death knell of this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom