• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
West County for life.

Where is SLU anyway? I sometimes drive into semi-hood areas as a sort of thrill-seeking... but from where I am, it takes a little while to actually enter the hood. Can't imagine going to SLU if it's actually completely in the hood.

stldave2

Where is SLU anyway? I sometimes drive into semi-hood areas as a sort of thrill-seeking... but from where I am, it takes a little while to actually enter the hood. Can't imagine going to SLU if it's actually completely in the hood.

SLU isn't in the hood, the campus is actually pretty damn nice. It is right off Grand between Olive & Forest Park Parkway.

If you want hood... go north of the Dome.

Like The Salt

Neo Member
Nothing special

0709011517a.jpg

^My main setup. 27" Samsung monitor, Sony receiver with Polk 5.1 speakers, Mixamp with Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

0709011516.jpg

^Living room. 52" Sharp, Sony receiver, Polk/KLH/Sony 5.1 speakers. Consoles are on an HDMI splitter feeding the other setup as well.

0709011529.jpg

^Second PS3 in the master bedroom. Sony 5.1 receiver. 4 ceiling speakers and a sub.

Living room at night:

Couch side during the day:

Full shot during the day:

This is my home office when I turn it into a makeshift gaming cubicle. Basically when I'm playing a game a lot when my gf is around and she's using the living room.

no pics of my game collection because they're just in the drawers in the middle of the TV stand. I need to get a better media solution that displays them a little more. Probably going to go w/ a Billy bookcase w/ clear glass doors. I like buying certain things from Ikea because it's so inexpensive I don't feel bad if I find something to replace it with.

lol xmas decorations

donkamio

Neo Member
nice setup Twentytwo2277, very spacious and clean

how you finding the b&w's? what are they driven by? i have the 685's and i think they excel at vocals

donkamio

Neo Member
any idea what kind of coffee table that is? i have very similar taste to yours and i'm looking for a coffee table like that. also that red clock is pretty awesome.

hey man- the table is from a local store here in england- house of fraser. don't know if they still stock it but the rotating glass panels are pretty tricked out! took 2 of their guys a few hours to assemble it. i think it will have to stay with the house if i ever move out.

also the red clock is very nice- it is the qlocktwo by beigert&funk

TwentyTwo2277, I like your little gaming nook/office you have there. Reminded me of my old bedroom in my last apartment. Even had the same Aeron chair that my brother "acquired" from his old job.

also the red clock is very nice- it is the qlocktwo by beigert&funk
For got to mention I did really like that clock in your pics. Your other clock looks like it was taken from the Titanic. (in your additional photos link)
Edit 2: Just looked up the qlocktwo price...bummer.

nice setup Twentytwo2277, very spacious and clean

how you finding the b&w's? what are they driven by? i have the 685's and i think they excel at vocals

Honestly the B&Ws are the first set of speakers I've ever owned so it's hard to compare them to other sets. I am tho really happy with them and I'd be the first one to return something if I didn't fully enjoy it.

Right now they're run by a Pioneer 1020-k amp. I still have no sub, but as you know setups are a work in progress esp when you're younger.

I think we need to post more action shots of our gaming routine. After posting pics I know I personally straightened up my living room a little, but the cake is a lie and it's not what it looks like when I game. I feel like lots of people cleaned for these pics. I wanna see snacks, drinks whatever else your setup actually looks like while you game. Tonight after I "work" I'm gonna post an action shot of what my place looks like when I get down for a session. (Nier is my current game)

donkamio

Neo Member
What the flying fuck.

yep, i know but i remember the comments when people found out how much Chittagong's lamp cost. although the lamp will probably last longer, i think the clock is unique enough to warrant the price. some people have actually had a stab at making their own, pretty good actually. although i like how the qlocktwo can display seconds as well

IMG_2803.jpg

you can also get a iphone app of the qlocktwo- just shake it to show the seconds

Danielsan

yep, i know but i remember the comments when people found out how much Chittagong's lamp cost. although the lamp will probably last longer, i think the clock is unique enough to warrant the price. some people have actually had a stab at making their own, pretty good actually. although i like how the qlocktwo can display seconds as well

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/donkamio/klocker/IMG_2803.jpg[IMG]

you can also get a iphone app of the qlocktwo- just shake it to show the seconds[/QUOTE]Don't worry, I'm not judging you. If I had the cash I would probably purchase overpriced awesome gadgets as well. And it really is an awesome looking clock. I'm just completely baffled that it's that crazy expensive.

donkamio

Neo Member
Don't worry, I'm not judging you. If I had the cash I would probably purchase overpriced awesome gadgets as well. And it really is an awesome looking clock. I'm just completely baffled that it's that crazy expensive.

no probs dude. i winced when i first saw the price, got the 59p iphone app instead but then a year later i finally managed to save/convince myself it was worthwhile

yamo

Thinking of getting a projector setup soon myself. I don't have space for a framed screen and would have to go for a draper type (roll down type, dunno what it's called in english). However, if the screen would be that wavy and uneven it would totally kill the experience as i'm quite ocd when it comes to these types of issues.

Tell me it's possible to have a roll down screen that's flat and nice GAF. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thinking of getting a projector setup soon myself. I don't have space for a framed screen and would have to go for a draper type (roll down type, dunno what it's called in english). However, if the screen would be that wavy and uneven it would totally kill the experience as i'm quite ocd when it comes to these types of issues.

I think the ones that aren't supposed to suck are "tensioned" screens.

I know this one isn't tensioned, but it's supposed to be good:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/projectors/projector-screens/vapex-100-electric

Elginer

Lgtcl.jpg

Got a new rug. Modest setup compared to some of you guys but I'm very happy with it. May upgrade the TV next year though.

Maybe the screen isn't horizontally perfect level. It would create that wrinkle effect over time. Just an armchair theory, no idea if that would happen.

Although the larger pulldowns may sag over time I find it's the pulling down on them that causes ripples to appear.

Tab tension screens are expensive but work quite well or a smaller (90-100") screen that you can leave down for extended lengths of time should last a while before they appear. Don't go too cheap on a screen, it's better imo to make your own than buy really low end stuff - they curl, sag and can have a visible texture.

Although it's no help really, I did a DIY job on my last couple of screens and it came in around £50 including paint and the frame.

Tabris

Donkamuo's setup is truly now the best of the thread and so I only want it to be better (I get asked some advice over PM's a lot, I guess I'm a bit of an interior design guy even though my place isn't that amazing). I'm going to offer some advice (based on my tastes, please disregard if you disagree, and please don't take any offence) and ask for some advice (based on your tastes, if you don't mind)

- I see the theme in the living room is white and black, with gold, yellow and red accents. I personally think it's too many accents. I personally think it would look much better without the yellow accent as it clashes way too much. Take out the yellow stand for the monitor, the flowers and the yellow terracotta army figure, then take another picture to see the difference.

- The carpets actually do work (ignore what other people said about that in my opinion) due to the rest of the gold accents around (subtle and not overdone)

- The speaker looks really out of space in the kitchen. I bet it's powerful but I recommend a flatter device against the wall or better, just have a dock attached to the wall and wire speakers into the kitchen wall if you can afford a bit of renovation and re-painting.

- Paint those flower pots in your bedroom to be either white, red or black.

- What desk is that? I absolutely adore it. It would go perfectly in my place and I've been looking to upgrade my office desperately. I think the only thing I would prefer more was if it was longer.

- Same with the speakers? They look fantastic.

Do you have any advice you can offer for my place?

Sorry about the poor quality pics but I had to take them with a phone. My room has been a work in progress now for a few months but is finally almost complete. I just need to sort the cabling out as my speaker system arrived just the other day.

VUFc7.jpg
6vfeB.jpg

SJy51.jpg
Dtjdd.jpg

fYBBn.jpg
7Y1q3.jpg

And finally In action from seating position!
humbp.jpg

very nice setup have to ask one thing though, is that a Draper screen. I got a Draper and have the same problem in your pic.

That's because there's nothing pulling on the material to keep it tensioned. It will develop over time. Best to buy a new pull down since they are cheap, or spend a bit more cake and buy a tensioned screen or a fixed one.

See above...

Check this link out...Try to get something like this:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/scre...u=Elite&itmname=CineTension 2 Electric Screen

Do NOT cheap out on the screen people!

I can't wait to move to our new place so I can start on the basement. It's not finished since it's a new build so I have a perfect start to do what I want.

I've started to research buying a new screen and projector...Yeah I'm VERY excited.

ouchx100

I've been following these threads for a while now and I don't know what it is about seeing the place where all you guys waste countless hours of your life that gives me a hard on but here goes my place.

20 year old who still lives at home and only has a small bedroom
6758775727_34b07f0763_b.jpg
[/url]
photo 1 by ouchx100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Messy? check

6758775067_6b10d2c42a_b.jpg
[/url]
photo 2 by ouchx100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Close up of the mess? check

6758775559_e950afd0e7_b.jpg
[/url]
photo 3 by ouchx100, on Flickr[/IMG]

View from the bed? check (I turn the TV to where it is when I'm using my G27 and straighten it back when I'm laying in bed)

6758775247_c315304f1d_b.jpg
[/url]
photo 4 by ouchx100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ready to play uncharted? Yeah buddy!

Edit:We got the right idea naughtyprawn haha

ouchx100

I couldn't figure out which threw me off more. The dust, or the hanging phat PS3 top.

haha, The PS3 top is from my old 60gig that died back in may. I tried to fix her but no luck :( So I stuck the top up there on the tack holding the poster.

And no it wasn't the dust that killed it. 4 and a half years of hours of use almost everyday on one month after launch hardware is what killed her. But wow looking at the pictures the dust looks so much worse than it really does.

woundedbear

Neo Member
I wish I'd taken photos of my set up a year ago. I was living on a canal barge (a narrowboat - 6'11" wide, 56' long) in London. Gaming on the water. All my consoles were vertically orientated on the floor and the TV was screwed to the sloping wall. Now things are a little more conventional. I sit on a sofa facing a TV and don't have to worry about boats going past that might topple my xbox.

I honestly will never understand. Carpet is filthy, and makes apartments unbearably hot. Most people with at least one animal know that carpet is a nightmare to clean. You would think that middle class-range apartments would at least have laminate, or even tile. Best case scenario, genuine hardwood.

I can't imagine how often this complex has to replace carpeting.

I like hardwood, but hardwood isn't perfect for all situations.

1) it's hard, so don't fall. also, like tile, some people are so fat and old that their feet hurt from walking on hard surfaces.
2) you have to sweep a lot more, and even still your feet will get dirtier walking on it than carpet
3) it is often very loud, especially in older homes/apartments (meaning the people below you can hear every step you take AND if you have pets their little claws make a racket)
4) it's delicate and obnoxious to strip and re-finish, so you need to be careful with your furniture to prevent damaging the finish (couch feet are especially dangerous because they shift around a lot)
5) it's stylistically kindof blah without throwing a bunch of rugs on it, which means you need to buy your own rugs. if you have an apartment, it means you're the owner of rugs that might go really well in one apartment but not really have a place if you move. plus rugs are f-ing expensive if you don't want crap.

haha, The PS3 top is from my old 60gig that died back in may. I tried to fix her but no luck :( So I stuck the top up there on the tack holding the poster.

And no it wasn't the dust that killed it. 4 and a half years of hours of use almost everyday on one month after launch hardware is what killed her. But wow looking at the pictures the dust looks so much worse than it really does.

Do you smoke in your room or keep a window often? That is shit load of dust and going to clog up any electronics with a fan.

donkamio

Neo Member
Donkamuo's setup is truly now the best of the thread and so I only want it to be better (I get asked some advice over PM's a lot, I guess I'm a bit of an interior design guy even though my place isn't that amazing). I'm going to offer some advice (based on my tastes, please disregard if you disagree, and please don't take any offence) and ask for some advice (based on your tastes, if you don't mind)

- I see the theme in the living room is white and black, with gold, yellow and red accents. I personally think it's too many accents. I personally think it would look much better without the yellow accent as it clashes way too much. Take out the yellow stand for the monitor, the flowers and the yellow terracotta army figure, then take another picture to see the difference.

- The carpets actually do work (ignore what other people said about that in my opinion) due to the rest of the gold accents around (subtle and not overdone)

- The speaker looks really out of space in the kitchen. I bet it's powerful but I recommend a flatter device against the wall or better, just have a dock attached to the wall and wire speakers into the kitchen wall if you can afford a bit of renovation and re-painting.

- Paint those flower pots in your bedroom to be either white, red or black.

- What desk is that? I absolutely adore it. It would go perfectly in my place and I've been looking to upgrade my office desperately. I think the only thing I would prefer more was if it was longer.

- Same with the speakers? They look fantastic.

Do you have any advice you can offer for my place?

thanks Tabris. v kind of you.

in regards to the living room, i started with a main black&white pallete with a gold accent (lamp, cushions, table ornament). i thought this gave a very (perhaps too) sophisticated look and i wanted to soften that by adding playful colours. ask any interior designer and they will tell you red+yellow do not mix. after seeing an place on apartmenttherapy.com which heavily featured red+yellow (two of my favourite) colours, i decided to build in these accents to add a playful, pop-art kind of touch to soften the masculine colours of the main pallette. i know some may find it too much but to me its vivid.

persian rugs can be contentious, some love em some hate em. look at musicians houses or places with top quality hifi setups and you will usually see good quality persian rugs featured. as mine are silk, the way the look at different angles varies dramatically. at some angles they look almost white and at others they look quite vibrant.

the b&w zeppelin ipod dock in the kitchen would be a no-no if i didn't live alone as it would be knocked into constantly. i put it in that location as it is symetrical beneath the two photo frames whilst being at a good height, being isolated and being visible from the living room. a flatter version such as the zeppelin mini may have been more appropriate but the sound quality and design of the zeppelin won over.

the desk is from a place called dwell in england. its gloss white and can swivel around the cabinet and looks good next to the white monitors which are on a grey wall. the speakers on the desk are harmon kardon soundsticks.

your place (from memory) had fab views and great light and was very spacious. i love the gloss white and the arrangement of furniture. i would only add a little more personality though in terms of artwork or ornaments. some big, statement front speakers would certainly be a nice addition too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wish I'd taken photos of my set up a year ago. I was living on a canal barge (a narrowboat - 6'11" wide, 56' long) in London. Gaming on the water. All my consoles were vertically orientated on the floor and the TV was screwed to the sloping wall. Now things are a little more conventional. I sit on a sofa facing a TV and don't have to worry about boats going past that might topple my xbox.
OK, that's awesome. Would love to have seen some photos of that.

Top Bottom