• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

Caramello

SJy51.jpg

And finally In action from seating position!

This is beyond awesome, did you just stencil that?

I like hardwood, but hardwood isn't perfect for all situations.

1) it's hard, so don't fall. also, like tile, some people are so fat and old that their feet hurt from walking on hard surfaces.
2) you have to sweep a lot more, and even still your feet will get dirtier walking on it than carpet
3) it is often very loud, especially in older homes/apartments (meaning the people below you can hear every step you take AND if you have pets their little claws make a racket)
4) it's delicate and obnoxious to strip and re-finish, so you need to be careful with your furniture to prevent damaging the finish (couch feet are especially dangerous because they shift around a lot)
5) it's stylistically kindof blah without throwing a bunch of rugs on it, which means you need to buy your own rugs. if you have an apartment, it means you're the owner of rugs that might go really well in one apartment but not really have a place if you move. plus rugs are f-ing expensive if you don't want crap.

1. 2. 3.
QivJR.jpg

4. Quality finished wood can last years. Replacing carpet is just as big a hassle.
5. Doesn't need a rug with a good interior setup. And it will always beat carpet when it comes to style, even without a rug.

kr2t0s

2 questions - anyone know where I can get gloss white speakers? Right now I have these 2001'esque monoliths and would love to modernize the look of my place with a shiny white gloss but haven't had much luck finding them.

2nd question - this (and previous years) thread has been not only a great source of inspiration for my own home, but a great resource on other websites, where to shop, etc. Does such a thread exist for work space (think office's, cubicles, etc) or is there an apartment therapy equivalent for cubicle hell?

thanks

Pollux

1. 2. 3.
QivJR.jpg

4. Quality finished wood can last years. Replacing carpet is just as big a hassle.
5. Doesn't need a rug with a good interior setup. And it will always beat carpet when it comes to style, even without a rug.

What type of slippers are those and where can I get a pair.

What type of slippers are those and where can I get a pair.

We call them Spaanse sloffen, Spanish slippers. They are widely available in the Netherlands but I have no clue about where to get them abroad. It's all I wear at home since I can remember.

2 questions - anyone know where I can get gloss white speakers? Right now I have these 2001'esque monoliths and would love to modernize the look of my place with a shiny white gloss but haven't had much luck finding them.

Boston Acoustics has a line-up of gloss white speakers.
htAN3.jpg
ElHhu.jpg

Canton
7k0ZB.jpg
vEbBi.jpg

B&W
Q97lY.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Additionally, all of Axiom's stuff is available in piano white, including their actually quite good M80s

M80CherryGrilleOff2.jpg

So just imagine that it's white.

Danielsan

Just remember - you buy speakers for sound.
Appearance is equally as important to me. I also need to get a pair of speakers soon, but I have a very limited budget and don't want them be stupendously big.
I'm currently eyeing these bookshelf speakers by Teufel (ultima 20).

Z333s.png

At €200 they are probably as expensive as I'm willing to go.
Also a question to those of you who are knowledgeable on audio/speakers. What's the purpose of the cloth/grill on the speaker? I love the look of them without them, but I wonder whether having them off would be detrimental to the sound quality.

Danny Dudekisser

Appearance is equally as important to me. I also need to get a pair of speakers soon, but I have a very limited budget and don't want them be stupendously big.

Yeah, but all I'm sayin' is that people who are looking to buy speakers purely or even primarily for aesthetics are completely missing the point. Buying audio equipment is an opportunity that shouldn't be wasted!

Oh, and as for grilles, you don't need 'em. At best, they don't affect the quality of the sound when you have 'em on. At worst, they'll actually muffle the sound... though that's usually just with the cheap garbage that sounds crappy anyway.

Point is, you can take 'em off. And you should, cuz they look cooler that way.

Danielsan

Oh, and as for grilles, you don't need 'em. At best, they don't affect the quality of the sound when you have 'em on. At worst, they'll actually muffle the sound... though that's usually just with the cheap garbage that sounds crappy anyway.

Point is, you can take 'em off. And you should, cuz they look cooler that way.
Awesome. Great to hear!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This is how it looks right now, took this photo for the Skullgirls thread the other day :) (its not the actual game running, its just a video that I had streaming)

AjNm1uPCIAAm3pO.jpg:large

Bing147

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent starter sound system? Can't really go over $100 but am tired of using the tv's speakers.

Danny Dudekisser

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent starter sound system? Can't really go over $100 but am tired of using the tv's speakers.

Well it won't be decent, then. In fact, it will be terrible.

Edit: Though, to be slightly more helpful, I'd look into 2.0 computer speaker systems (specifically, Klipsch and Logitech). You can plug 'em into your TV without a hassle, and those are really your best bet at this price range. I would avoid anything with a sub or more than 2 speakers, if possible, because that's gonna stretch that budget too far.

Edit Edit: It's $50 more than your range, but this'll actually serve you well:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

If you can go up to like, $250, there are plenty of great 5.1 systems you can get.

craigslist is the salvation of cheap people. ebay is ok too. be careful buying a/v receivers used though because they're much more fragile than speakers.

kr2t0s

Just remember - you buy speakers for sound.

I'm not buying beats, come on now.

And I'm not asking for Bose in white either.

I am happily married with a child and she has compromised with my speakers for a long time - I was just seeing if there was an option where I could make her a little happier.

PjotrStroganov said:

Thanks a lot! Gives me something to think about

Danny Dudekisser

I'm not buying beats, come on now.

And I'm not asking for Bose in white either.

I am happily married with a child and she has compromised with my speakers for a long time - I was just seeing if there was an option where I could make her a little happier.

Thanks a lot! Gives me something to think about

lol, that comment wasn't in reference to you, necessarily. I totally get the importance of aesthetics -- I pay a lot of atention to that, too. Just making sure people have their priorities straight if they're buying something like speakers rather than furniture.

guest1321

Where it all began
Okay so my gaming/media set up really started right around the time I went off to College.
So from 2009-mid 2010, this was my set up:
MacBook Pro
28" Hanns G LCD Monitor
Xbox 360 (got after this picture was taken)
Dorm%20Set%20Up.JPG

Summer Set-Up
So over the summer this is what I am generally using as I don't bring my desk back home. At this point the monitor is a different aesthetically but is actually the same. I upgraded from my 2.1 Altec Lansing system to my Swan D1080MKII and got a nice shelf system going to keep clear up some desk space. In this picture this is actually a coffee table I am working on. In Mid 2010 while I was at school I got a desk which this rig normally sits on (you'll see in the coming pics).
Summer%20Rig%202.jpg

New Apartment

Workspace:
So here is the desk I mentioned above...
Desk%202.JPG

Old TV I had for gaming:
Pre%20Sammy.jpg

New Gaming Set-Up:

The Zone
Full%20Shot.jpg

Game Collection
The shelf itself is somewhat of a POS, but it works for now. When I have more space I'll probably snag one of the Billy units from IKEA. I also would like a way to better display my LE's and CE's. Right now they are hidden away since I don't really have an appropriate place to put them.
Media%20Shelf.JPG

My Sammy In Action!
In%20Action.JPG

And that's it for now. Really pleased with the current set-up so I don't see myself making many changes in the near future. I am slightly limited too due to the fact that my living situation is not exactly permanent and I expect to move within the next 2 years.

Game Collection
The shelf itself is somewhat of a POS, but it works for now. When I have more space I'll probably snag one of the Billy units from IKEA. I also would like a way to better display my LE's and CE's. Right now they are hidden away since I don't really have an appropriate place to put them.
Media%20Shelf.JPG

I dig the headphone stand. Where might one acquire?

Keldor

Downstairs Setup
DSCF0182.jpg

Pioneer 5060HD Plasma
Kenwood Receiver
Polk Speakers
Sony Sub
XBox 360
PS3

Loft Setup
DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0136.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0179.jpg

Pioneer 5020FD Plasma
Denon 2809 Receiver
Klipsch RF-82 Fronts
Klipsch RF-62 Center
Klipsch RS-52 Surrounds
Klipsch RB-61 Rear Surrounds
SVS 12NSD Sub
SVS PB13 Ultra Sub
XBox 360
PS3
Wii
Sega Saturn
Audio Technica ATH-A900 Headphones

Kid's Room Setup
DSCF0172.jpg

I love this tv so much that I'm having a hard time letting it go.
Sony 34XBR910
N64
PS2
Gamecube

Games
DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0159.jpg

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

Rookie

Neo Member
So many nice set-ups, looks like I will twist the missues arm to go furniture shopping. The world must be topsy Turvy,,,

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Keldor - nice pics, you've got an awesome taste in games! What kind of bookshelves are those?

I need to get a sound system some day. I've never used anything other than the speakers built into tvs.

Its so much more important to me than a TV. My TV is bog stock 42" LCD....but the sound..that's where its at :) invest piece by piece and try not to get a HTIB setup...

To the guy with the nice saturn stuff - nice cans - we have the same set. What you using to run them? My ATH-A900s run off a CEntrance Dacmini.

Deefuzz

SLU isn't in the hood, the campus is actually pretty damn nice. It is right off Grand between Olive & Forest Park Parkway.

If you want hood... go north of the Dome.

Where is SLU anyway? I sometimes drive into semi-hood areas as a sort of thrill-seeking... but from where I am, it takes a little while to actually enter the hood. Can't imagine going to SLU if it's actually completely in the hood.

I'll admit it can look a little sketchy on the outskirts of SLU, but not hood like North City, or East St. Louis. Stay away from those 2 areas!

NJ Shlice

Moved in with my gf a few months ago, this is my Office:

oUXOcl.jpg

Mac Mini 2011
(2) 23" Acer Monitors
(My cat destroys the blinds)

exjNx.jpg

Viera 50" plasma, s50
Xbox 360 Slim
PS3 Slim
Turtle Beach PX21 Headphones

QSWKM.jpg

Dirty clothes, Halo Figures

9wvEP.jpg

Closeup of the troops.

jcm

I just bought new speakers and they're so ugly I'm considering selling them. They sound great, but in hindsight I wish I would have just followed my original plan of buying stands for my bookshelf speakers.

Those are pretty. I assume they cost a fortune?

Danny Dudekisser

I'll admit it can look a little sketchy on the outskirts of SLU, but not hood like North City, or East St. Louis. Stay away from those 2 areas!

Farthest north I've gone is like... St. Charles Rock Rd. or Martin Luther King Drive or whatever it's called. It got scary enough in a couple stretches of those roads, though I'm curious how much farther I have to go for a truly frightening experience.

ecosse_011172

I just bought new speakers and they're so ugly I'm considering selling them. They sound great, but in hindsight I wish I would have just followed my original plan of buying stands for my bookshelf speakers.

Those are pretty. I assume they cost a fortune?

Thanks, About 8 years ago they cost £2000 so not cheap but worth every penny to me.
You could maybe pick them up much cheaper now as they've been replaced, they're ProAc D15's in Yew finish.

prophecy0

*snip Pioneer Kuro, Sony XBR960, and SVS Subs*

This is a man with taste! I currently have a Samsung 64D7000, but prior to that I had a 50 inch Kuro and I loved it. Prior to the Kuro I had a 960. I have since sold the Kuro to my brother-in-law and the 960 to my step-brother, so I know they're in good hands.

I currently have a SVS PC13 Ultra and have been jonesing to get a second one since my bonus room is pretty large. The single 13" does a good job, but it doesn't quite pressurize the room well enough for my tastes :).

Deefuzz

Farthest north I've gone is like... St. Charles Rock Rd. or Martin Luther King Drive or whatever it's called. It got scary enough in a couple stretches of those roads, though I'm curious how much farther I have to go for a truly frightening experience.

The Rock Road isn't too bad depending on where you are at. Between 270 and 70 is fine. I seldom go any farther down past 70. I've been in that mall (Northwest Plaza) once or twice and I thought it was a little creepy.

Danny Dudekisser

Its so much more important to me than a TV. My TV is bog stock 42" LCD....but the sound..that's where its at :) invest piece by piece and try not to get a HTIB setup...

To the guy with the nice saturn stuff - nice cans - we have the same set. What you using to run them? My ATH-A900s run off a CEntrance Dacmini.

In a lot of ways, the sound setup is more important. You want immersion? Yeah, that's sound that does it. You don't even need 5.1. A solid stereo setup puts you there more than a TV/projector ever will.

Though maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, cuz I'm excited that I'll finally be able to put together my new sound setup on Saturday.

jcm

Thanks, About 8 years ago they cost £2000 so not cheap but worth every penny to me.
You could maybe pick them up much cheaper now as they've been replaced, they're ProAc D15's in Yew finish.

Thanks. I think I just need to recalibrate my expectations. If you want speakers that are built like nice furniture, then you should expect to pay nice furniture prices for it, right?

I'm going to try that line out on the wife. Wish me luck.

Mega Man

Here is my living room setup. My new additions since the last setup is a new AV receiver, sideboard cabinet, and Harmony 1100 Remote (touchscreen). I will be replacing the TV later this year.

rDLlo.jpg

Ayk6P.jpg

N9Jts.jpg

2lLha.jpg

Denon AVR-891, Cable Box, Wii, 360, Apple TV and PS3. All hooked up using RF to IR repeaters for Harmony remote controller so I can leave the entertainment stand closed the entire time (thus why the cables aren't clean / organized behind as you can't see them ever):

SImuZ.jpg

Just as I often get the questions in PMs. Both the coffee table and entertainment stand are discontinued (at least in Canada and US, possibly not in Europe) Ikea furniture. The entertainment stand is called Friel.
Beautiful view and set up. Very clean yet comfortable looking. Props :-D

Making a trip to IKEA in the next couple weeks to furnish my newish house.

What would anyone highly suggest I grab from there? I already have 2 POANG chairs and footstools for my living room and basement/rec room, but I'm not sure what else are musts.

I've got some ideas in mind, but would love any recommendations that people feel strongly about!

Top Bottom