• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

teeny

Totally agreed! Nice stuff is more enjoyable in a clean place, can't find your good stuff in a mess right?

I never leave stuff laying around. I love to have our place nice and tidy, I can't imagine living in total chaos.

To be honest, I don't care either way what people do with their things. My own set up is a mixture of the two extremes because the space I have available is too small to have everything away (I might post some pics when I'm done with it). However, I think it is really disrespectful to refer to someone's private space as "sterile" simply because the person likes to put their things away when they are done with them and prefers neutral colour palettes.

Besides, putting things away and decluttering makes cleaning a room infinitely easier.

Ultimately, the more people that post their set ups the better. It is really interesting and inspirational to see how other people build their spaces, and I would hate for anyone to be discouraged because of some drive-by criticisms.

Yup, it's the Ikea Galant series. Here are the links to the pieces I used. I believe Ikea's website adds the frames into the prices of some of those pieces, but since I picked everything up at one of their stores, I don't think it cost as much as it's listed on line.

Here's the link for it - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19807470/#/S69861186

Here's are the pieces separately if you purchased in store.

Main Desk - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09856324/
Left Extension - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69837479/#/S69852120
T-Legs - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20056915/

The TV in the corner is sitting on Galant Half Round (w/o Frame) with Capita Legs - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89895963/#/S09852118

Also not shown in the picture, I have these cable management trays under each side.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20195596/

Thanks for the detailed info. I will be getting some combination of the Galant series myself.

Is it loud since there is not really much of a case to lessen the sound?

On the contrary, it's the quietest rig I've ever built. The fan on top is adjustable and I put on the lowest setting where it's pretty much silent. I've never had the CPU fan wind up on me. I think that's a function of the 2600k and the open air letting it breathe, thus not pushing the fan to overdrive.

The 590 will wind up on a couple of games that I'm pushing on max settings (Hitman: Absolution and Planetside) but that sound would be still be noticeable with a case.

I don't see myself going back to a closed case build ever again. This was easier to build, is quieter, easier to clean, easier to upgrade, and looks so much more bad-ass (IMO).

I've enjoyed these threads for years. Thank you.

I recently finished this built-in for the 65' plasma. Nothing fancy, but everything fits nicely and it freed up some floor space.

The TV is swiveled toward the computer is the first shot, so the pic looks odd.
j14EVUYl.jpg

NfH90UMl.jpg

That's our boxer Molly on the couch.

MrBig

On the contrary, it's the quietest rig I've ever built. The fan on top is adjustable and I put on the lowest setting where it's pretty much silent. I've never had the CPU fan wind up on me. I think that's a function of the 2600k and the open air letting it breathe, thus not pushing the fan to overdrive.

The 590 will wind up on a couple of games that I'm pushing on max settings (Hitman: Absolution and Planetside) but that sound would be still be noticeable with a case.

I don't see myself going back to a closed case build ever again. This was easier to build, is quieter, easier to clean, easier to upgrade, and looks so much more bad-ass (IMO).

Yeah open builds are great, as long as you're the only living thing that will ever get near it. I was considering doing one last year but living with a cat and a couple other people means that wasn't feasible.

Thai

Bane was better.

I recently finished this built-in for the 65' plasma. Nothing fancy, but everything fits nicely and it freed up some floor space.

j14EVUYl.jpg

NfH90UMl.jpg

wow nice dude! love that built-in look. so clean and wirefree.

rinker

Anyone ever use a wireless audio transmitter? This seems like the best one on amazon, any thoughts? It does both audio and video, but I'll only use it for audio.

Deku Tree

I can only imagine how epic Xenoblade's opening theme must sound on those. Or any of the soundtrack for that matter. I'm still rocking shitty default TV speakers. Feels bad man.

Yes it does sound VERY good. If its what you want I'm sure you can get some nice speakers if you save up. I had terrible speaker for years, the funny thing is that I wasn't at that time looking around on the internet at what other people had and I didn't even know the difference.

Cover them and keep children away from them.
Those tweeter domes are just begging to be pushed, I had that happen to me twice.
Grrrr.

Yes, my eight month old son crawled over to them recently and the first thing he tried to do was push the tweeter dome. Fortunately I caught him before any damage was done.

HildyB

Anyone ever use a wireless audio transmitter? This seems like the best one on amazon, any thoughts? It does both audio and video, but I'll only use it for audio.

I use one in my basement for my 5.1. rear speakers. It's a Rocketfish (best buy brand) and it works just fine. Only issue I have is the audio pops once in a blue moon (even if tv isn't on). We bought a Sony one for the main room rear speakers and it has been flawless.

Don't worry, most of us from wealthy countries can't afford this shit either.
Indeed. If I tried to save and build a nice setup, half of it would be obsolete by the time I finished. Granted, I could probably make it happen sooner, but I have higher priorities...
ie, eating, providing for my son, not getting killed by my wife for wasting money... You know... The little things.

Flock

NBEu62B.jpg

My modest setup. I'd love to get a bigger TV but since I still live at home, moving out is my priority, once do though I'll get a 47" or something.
Current TV is a 32" samsung LCD.
All the consoles are currently hooked up and get regular usage (maybe except the Wii lately...) the PS2 is running through a VGA upscaler (hd box pro).

brentech

My Office

8384199229_3cc97dbff3_o.jpg

Wall and bookshelf of various related items. Top of book shelf has a few collectors edition boxes.

8385283166_cd35c9ced6_o.jpg

Inside the closet, some game cases, Nexus 7, Vita, PS3 Headset, and my other hobby+job....auto detailing supplies.

8385282910_fdbd2045dc_o.jpg

Computer set up along with PS Vita

-------------------------Living Room ------------------------------
8384199663_50f7d5966d_o.jpg

View from kitchen

8384199571_d442b8917e_o.jpg

Sonax TV stand. PS3 top left, record player bottom left. Cable box and receiver in the middle.
Top right I have the cable modem and router, some various large case Blurays to hide the UPS behind all of it.
Actually have it inside the stand in order to keep it as close to the wall as possible.

8385283358_f3248757f5_o.jpg

Good view of seating (and a cat sleeping on a chair). 3/4 main seats on the couch actually recline.

8384199369_29c1f3c555_o.jpg

Quick and dirty picture of LG 55" TV (LM6200). Got it in December, really liking the SmartTV idea.

8384199357_a28292d9ba_o.jpg

Inside the ottoman I keep games and controllers

Updated my office after building a new PC. Just felt like I wanted a better flow.

8595128481_9cfc99455c_c.jpg

Just one picture. Desk is on opposite side of the room. Everything else shifted over a wall, but it feels much better in here.

TheNockOfWar

Neo Member
I have been a recent fan of this thread and decided to come out of the shadows to contribute instead of just consume. Everyone here has got great taste and I have gotten tons of ideas of I would like to do when I get the chance.

I am a soldier serving in South Korea. Needless to say, living in the barracks has made me compromise on my set up. Once I get back stateside I am going to be able to set up a proper "man cave."

(Please forgive these pictures. This is the first time I have tried to post images on here (or anywhere for that matter). If I am doing something wrong please let me know so I can edit this post.

My current gaming/media area. I hate how the wires are but seeing as I'm only here for a relatively short time, I decided not to attemp any wire management.

brentech

I have been a recent fan of this thread and decided to come out of the shadows to contribute instead of just consume. Everyone here has got great taste and I have gotten tons of ideas of I would like to do when I get the chance.

I am a soldier serving in South Korea. Needless to say, living in the barracks has made me compromise on my set up. Once I get back stateside I am going to be able to set up a proper "man cave."

(Please forgive these pictures. This is the first time I have tried to post images on here (or anywhere for that matter). If I am doing something wrong please let me know so I can edit this post.

My current gaming/media area. I hate how the wires are but seeing as I'm only here for a relatively short time, I decided not to attemp any wire management.
All dem Browns hats. You from the Cleveland area?

Should come to the NFL thread and make your fandom known. Unless those are someone else's or you just have the unfortunate mistake of owning a bunch of Browns merchandise, lol.

TheNockOfWar

Neo Member
Born and raised in NE Ohio and been a proud supporter of my browns since I was a wee lil lad. Thanks for the nfl thread tip. Still kinda new to this whole Gaf thing

brentech

Born and raised in NE Ohio and been a proud supporter of my browns since I was a wee lil lad. Thanks for the nfl thread tip. Still kinda new to this whole Gaf thing

I actually live in Medina, OH. My in-laws are from the Cleveland area, so end up watching some Browns myself. Hopefully they're more interesting to watch this year and move the ball a bit.

Glad you can enjoy a PS3 and such overseas!

TheNockOfWar

Neo Member
Hopefully they're more interesting to watch this year and move the ball a bit.

Nowhere to go but up ;)

There is alot of PC gaming in Korea but PS3 is firmly in 2nd. My connection in the barracks on post is so bad it has stopped me from doing multiplayer (COD, AC3 etc.). Made me really dive into my backlog and play some great story driven games (Journey, AC2, Max Payne 3, Bioshock, LA Noire). More frustratingly, the whole country is connected with fiber optic. My lieutenant is pulling 60-80 MB/s download and rubs our faces in it all the time haha.

L]
Seems pretty legit for a barracks set up :p of course I have no idea how the barracks are but I like your uncharted poster. P.s also from ohio myself :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any recommendations for someone looking to invest in their first sound system with surround? I'm talking bedroom size here so nothing big, but i just want something better than the speakers built in my tv as I can't stand wearing headphones anymore..

guest1321

It really depends what you want to listen to. It's fantastic for female vocals, jazz and classical. It's not as great for anything like rap, harder rock, etc. It does have great detail and such :)

I've got a pair myself and mostly listen to electronic. Not great for the bassier stuff but the accuracy is fantastic. Really do sound amazing with trance.

I can see what you mean by the them excelling at female vocals jazz and classical. Do you find they pinch your head a *little* to much?

Any recommendations for someone looking to invest in their first sound system with surround? I'm talking bedroom size here so nothing big, but i just want something better than the speakers built in my tv as I can't stand wearing headphones anymore..

I'd personally go a 2.0 setup, a nice amp, and some bookshelf speakers and you'll be set.

UncleO

I went with a sound bar/sub combo. it worked wonders in my bedroom

Ryan_

Finally got around to doing some cleaning and organizing. More of an office than a gaming setup, but I do game primarily from my office.

office030414a.jpg

office030414b.jpg

How's the Swan M10 doing for you?
I've been thinking of eventually upgrading to these or Rokit RP5's from Creative Gigaworks T20. Not sure which one's the best option.

MG310

Don't have a lot of room to work with but think I made good use of the space.

DSCN3160.jpg

Guide/Art book shelf

DSCN3162.jpg

Games/Blu Rays/Kinect being ever so useful.

DSCN3163.jpg

Ottoman is one of those Rock Band branded ones that I found for like 75 percent off a few years ago. Fits the drum kit, 2 guitars, a fightstick and a bunch of other controllers pretty neatly. They're nearby if I ever want to play but I don't have to have dusty plastic instruments laying around.

Don't have a lot of room to work with but think I made good use of the space.

DSCN3160.jpg

Guide/Art book shelf

DSCN3162.jpg

Games/Blu Rays/Kinect being ever so useful.

DSCN3163.jpg

Ottoman is one of those Rock Band branded ones that I found for like 75 percent off a few years ago. Fits the drum kit, 2 guitars, a fightstick and a bunch of other controllers pretty neatly. They're nearby if I ever want to play but I don't have to have dusty plastic instruments laying around.

Where did you get the shelving you have your games on? Thanks!

Ryan_

j14EVUYl.jpg

NfH90UMl.jpg

Might be a small detail but I really like the colour of your wall behind the TV set-up. Nice choice!

Ryan_

I read Chittagong's feature in Apartment therapy, and really liked the principle of letting color come from art/media/plants.

I try to keep the furniture within the color scheme of woods, whites, blacks, and metals.

Thanks to you I just looked up Chittachong's feature on that site. Really nice, I will probably go the same general way as you guys when I move out.

Top Bottom