• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

Ryan_

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much an apartment not unlike Chittachong's would go for? Monthly that is.
I'm curious since I don't know anything about housing prices and that kind of apartment seems like something to work towards once I move out.

Ceej

I've got a pair myself and mostly listen to electronic. Not great for the bassier stuff but the accuracy is fantastic. Really do sound amazing with trance.

I can see what you mean by the them excelling at female vocals jazz and classical. Do you find they pinch your head a *little* to much?

Actually I find they're a bit loose due to cracking, HUGE defect with them. Not pictured in my setup is a pair of Denon AH-D600s I just got to offset their range: AKA when I want to listen to rap.

Between the phones and receiver I think I'm becoming a Denon girl :)

Taurus

2XwvTjJ.jpg

nJHyiGF.jpg

V42AYb8.jpg

wb0twsn.jpg

7nAgOp4.jpg

Vq5Dmkz.jpg

v3hcctr.jpg

9HleXbt.jpg

I think it's safe to say that I suck at taking pictures. I took first three during daytime, and the rest this evening.

55" LG 850N
Denon AVR-1611
Wharfedale Diamond 10.x series speakers
BK XXLS400 subwoofer
Logitech Harmony 515 remote
Sennheiser HD 555 headphones for night time gaming, movies etc.

HTPC with X360 controller receiver
X360 Slim 250Gb
Wii U Deluxe
Black 3DS Limited Zelda edition (not in the pictures)
Samsung laptop PC for surfing, email etc.

I'm pretty happy with this setup so far.

CAVE343

Although this is my favorite thread on all of GAF by far, I haven't contributed to this thread in a few years now.
So I thought it was time to take some pictures and share them. I've taken quite a few shots, so I hope you guys will enjoy them.

Living room
I started out a few years ago with all Ikea furniture, but they were slowly phased out over the years. So now it's kind of a mix and I like it this way.
Most of the console gaming is done from the couch, but I'm more off a handheld gamer so most of my time gaming is spend in the lounge chair.
Another reason for that is the - sometimes - massive glare you see on the tv screen. Fortunately I can only play games in the evening.

Stuff you see is (or hidden in the cabinet)
Sony Bravia 46 inch screen, the foot also functions as a sound bar, which is surprisingly good for its size.
Onkyo 2.1 speakers
PS3 /360
All hooked up to an Onkyo receiver.

SVF5zWf.jpeg

xeuPcIH.jpeg

FvD2guw.jpeg

View from the other side of the room. The B&W Zeppelin is hooked up to an Airport Express so I can play music from the iPod/iPad/iMac.
It's a great feature that I use a lot in everyday life.

NxaCgaW.jpeg

c3Q82PJ.jpeg

Dining room
The dining table is where I spend the most time with my friends and family.

3IAxSfi.jpeg

OG iMac and iPad. both are still in excellent condition and are good enough for the usual browsing and word processing.

gmg8FjE.jpeg

Close-ups

DSi XL and 3DS XL. I've rebought the DSi last year and it's my most played system at the moment.
DS games look so good on the bigger screen, I just love them big pixels.

v2kflaY.jpeg

Vita and PSPgo. Vita is my second to go console at the moment, it's so convenient to just pick up and play.
Most of the time I'm too lazy to turn on the PS3 so i just grab the Vita or DS.

XrOVFuj.jpeg

I store a few Vita/3DS/DS games in this little box. It makes changing carts less of a chore since its so close to the chair.

rjuih3v.jpeg

My headphones and cell (Xperia T). The B&W P5 is mostly used at night for gaming on the consoles or listening to music.
I always take the P3 outside because it's so light, I also use it for gaming on the handhelds.

miKaQB5.jpeg

PSPgo twins :)

8rHlFma.jpeg

Game room

These last two shots are taken in the so called game room.
I've got a Sega Blast City hooked up to an JP Xbox (the Slim one) to play the - glorious - CAVE shmups games. The buttons and stick are connected through a hacked 360 pad.
The first PCB I have my eye on is a Ketsui one, but the prices are pretty steep. So I'm still on the fence.
The arcade stool is one like you often see in the (japanese) arcades.

Next to it is my smaller setup with an older 360 and the Wii.
In the TV stand you can see two arcade sticks the SFIV TE one and the Hori Mushihime stick which I modded with seimitsu buttons.
Also pictured are most of the shmup and Wii games.

aBnAtL5.jpeg

083aSd1.jpeg

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Although this is my favorite thread on all of GAF by far, I haven't contributed to this thread in a few years now.
So I thought it was time to take some pictures and share them. I've taken quite a few shots, so I hope you guys will enjoy them.
I'm drooling. Awesome setup, and great photos too.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Living room
I started out a few years ago with all Ikea furniture, but they were slowly phased out over the years. So now it's kind of a mix and I like it this way.
Most of the console gaming is done from the couch, but I'm more off a handheld gamer so most of my time gaming is spend in the lounge chair.
Another reason for that is the - sometimes - massive glare you see on the tv screen. Fortunately I can only play games in the evening.

Sony Bravia 46 inch screen, the foot also functions as a sound bar, which is surprisingly good for its size.
Onkyo 2.1 speakers
PS3 /360

Spectacular. Not just a beautifully designed home with an Eames lounger and all, but also a gaming room with arcade cabinets. Great pics, too.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Gorgeous setup.
I think your couch is waaaaay too far away from the tv though. 55" and it looks like your couch is like 15 feet away. Does it bother you at all? My eyes would die watching anything at that distance.

You must have been at your wits end in the 80s/90s then.

rinker

Do any of you have issues with furniture sliding on wood/laminate floors? I don't have a rug so ever time I sit/get up from my couch it slides a smidge. Any discrete solutions that have worked for you?

good if i wanted my house to look just like those fake ones in advertising. does not feel inviting whatsoever; cool that you've managed to get it where you like it though.

xxracerxx

Do any of you have issues with furniture sliding on wood/laminate floors? I don't have a rug so ever time I sit/get up from my couch it slides a smidge. Any discrete solutions that have worked for you?

Hardware stores/Big Box stores will sell rubber pads that you can cut to the size of your furniture's feet that will keep it in place.

maverick40

Living room

Onkyo 2.1 speakers
PS3 /360

SVF5zWf.jpeg

xeuPcIH.jpeg

jErbk2W.jpg

It is perfect! What do you work at if you don't mind me asking? Trying to see if I could realistically afford something so awesome.

maverick40

good if i wanted my house to look just like those fake ones in advertising. does not feel inviting whatsoever; cool that you've managed to get it where you like it though.

There is always one, isn't there? It is all about personal preference. To me his house, looks perfect, stylish, clean and most importantly it looks like he takes pride in his house.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

There is always one, isn't there? It is all about personal preference. To me his house, looks perfect, stylish, clean and most importantly it looks like he takes pride in his house.

He jelly.

It's a fantastic set up. I see nothing "fake" or uninviting about his or other similar modern set ups. Definitely the kind of place I'd want to live in.

sp3ctr3

Awesome setup. This is the style im going for. I sense that the living room is quite big with barely anything to break sound. Do you get a church like aqustic in there? I know I do in my living room which is also sparce with stuff to break the sound.

Hightower

Banned
While I can appreciate the style of Cave's setup...

To me it just looks so cold and sterile. Not like a place you can come home and relax.

Just doesn't look like a "home" to me.. but a lot like an office.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
While I can appreciate the style of Cave's setup...

To me it just looks so cold and sterile. Not like a place you can come home and relax.

Just doesn't look like a "home" to me.. but a lot like an office.

He doesn't have any clutter. That's pretty much it. Might use a few more pictures on the wall and a plant or two though.

PG2G

I get the still-in-the-middle-of-unpacking feeling from CAVE's setup. I actually really enjoy similar styles from Tabris and Chittagong though. I think those setups have something to break up the monotony... large windows, art, rugs, and so on.

Hightower

Banned
He doesn't have any clutter. That's pretty much it. Might use a few more pictures on the wall and a plant or two though.

No, it's more than that. It just doesn't give a warm, home-like vibe to me. It's hard to describe.

Like when I get home and take off my work shirt, I can kick my feet up on the couch and just be comfortable. A place like that I'd be afraid of scratching or breaking something.

Bear in mind, I'm also a mid-30's married guy with kids.. so my perspective is going to be quite different.

No, it's more than that. It just doesn't give a warm, home-like vibe to me. It's hard to describe.

Like when I get home and take off my work shirt, I can kick my feet up on the couch and just be comfortable. A place like that I'd be afraid of scratching or breaking something.

Bear in mind, I'm also a mid-30's married guy with kids.. so my perspective is going to be quite different.

I agree to be honest. The place feels unlived in and too cold. I actually felt cold looking at the pictures. Very nice set up non the less.

If I could go back in time to the single life version of me, I would kick myself, shove photo's of Cave's setup and say here, make it look something like that!

Really incredible. I have always been a fan of clean, minimalist setups and yours is one of the best. My wife is not which means my house looks like something else, but oh well.

Thanks for sharing!

Cyborg

I agree

ElNino

Same for me. I really like some of the super clean setups in this thread, but they aren't very practical for those of us with families. I'll have to post pics of my family room when I get a chance to take some decent shots.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Comfort really does have different meanings for different people huh... If I lived in a messy home with random furniture in different areas, I would go insane.

Minimalism is the most soothing thing to me.

Buttons

Comfort really does have different meanings for different people huh... If I lived in a messy home with random furniture in different areas, I would go insane.

Same here. Everyone should just enjoy what they enjoy and let others enjoy what they love instead of criticising it. ^^

CAVE343

Thank you guys for all the great replies, it was a joy to read through them. All the kind words are greatly appreciated.

As I said in my post above, I started out with Ikea stuff and slowly replaced them, so it's not like I bought the whole setup in one shopping spree.
And it should be clear that a setup like Chittagong's - extraordinary setup - is much, much more expensive than mine :)
Oh, and for those who asked, I have a job in legal/law. I really think if you're willing to plan ahead and save up, a similar setup should be in reach for most people with a steady income.

Furthermore, some posters commented that my place is sterile and cold and frankly I've heard the same from a few of my friends, but this works the best for me.
That said, I really love to look at the more cozy and warm setups posted in this thread or the ones with a really big game collection.

Overall I just like it this way, it really gives me peace of mind when coming home from a busy day.

Mascot

Thank you guys for all the great replies, it was a joy to read through them. All the kind words are greatly appreciated.

As I said in my post above, I started out with Ikea stuff and slowly replaced them, so it's not like I bought the whole setup in one shopping spree.
And it should be clear that a setup like Chittagong's - extraordinary setup - is much, much more expensive than mine :)
Oh, and for those who asked, I have a job in legal/law. I really think if you're willing to plan ahead and save up, a similar setup should be in reach for most people with a steady income.

Furthermore, some posters commented that my place is sterile and cold and frankly I've heard the same from a few of my friends, but this works the best for me.
That said, I really love to look at the more cozy and warm setups posted in this thread or the ones with a really big game collection.

Overall I just like it this way, it really gives me peace of mind when coming home from a busy day.

Very nice set-up. Totally my style.
What country do you live in? Just curious about how high up on the walls the electrical sockets are. Makes for some really long trailing cables..! Don't building regs allow them to be fitted closer to the floor?

ElNino

A home doesn't need to be messy with random furniture to be "family friendly". I really like Cave's setup, and my wife and I had something similar to that when we had our condo downtown after we got married. But now that we have kids and have different priorities, our style of home has changed as well.

We still have (some) nice furniture, but we also have to be conscious that with two young boys things are going to get thrown, dropped, spilled, hit, kicked, etc. so having everything in place all the time is not practical.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Lawyer type, eh?

I'm graduating in a month. Where's my Eames chair gaddammit?

Uh... but yeah, what you're saying is totally true. The rewards for living an Ikea Life for a while do eventually pay off.

LukeTim

It's a bit of a mess, but this is my place...

Actually, it's a complete mess... I need more storage space.

It's not a particularly fancy room, like some of the others, or anything... and my TV leaves much to be desired, but I do love my audio setup. In my experience, too many people overlook their audio. My Sub could probably annoy the neighbours three floors down, if I wanted.

xxracerxx

It's a bit of a mess, but this is my place...

Actually, it's a complete mess... I need more storage space.

It's not a particularly fancy room, like some of the others, or anything... and my TV leaves much to be desired, but I do love my audio setup. In my experience, too many people overlook their audio. My Sub could probably annoy the neighbours three floors down, if I wanted.

Broken image world.

LukeTim

Broken image world.

Oh for christ's sake.

Last time I try to use SkyDrive to host images. Fucking Microsoft.

Fuck it. I went through all the effort of taking the photos, uploading them, getting the links etc... I'm not doing any more.

You can all use your imaginations. Whilst I never use a Microsoft product again.

xJavonta

Banned
Oh for christ's sake.

Last time I try to use SkyDrive to host images. Fucking Microsoft.

Fuck it. I went through all the effort of taking the photos, uploading them, getting the links etc... I'm not doing any more.

You can all use your imaginations. Whilst I never use a Microsoft product again.
I see the pics lol

Top Bottom