• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kagey K

Banned

Secure Your Spot in the PSO2 Closed Beta Test for Xbox One with Early Sign-up

NOTE: The PSO2 Closed Beta test is only available to players in the United States and Canada. You can register for early sign-up on Windows 10, but the Closed Beta is exclusive to Xbox One.

If you haven’t yet, make sure to install the Xbox Insider Hub on your Xbox One or Windows 10 device!

1. Navigate to the Store tab on your Xbox One console, or the Microsoft Store app on your Windows 10 device.
  2. Select Search and look for “Xbox Insider Hub.”
  3. Select the Xbox Insider Hub and choose “get” or “install.”

Once the app is installed, make sure to register for early sign-up for the game!

1. Launch the Xbox Insider Hub on your Xbox One or Windows 10 device.
  2. If this is your first time launching the app, accept the Xbox Insider Program Terms of Use.
  3. From the main dashboard, select Insider Content.
  4. Under “Games,” select “Phantasy Star Online 2.”
  5. Select “Join” to register for early sign-up.

When the PSO2 Closed Beta begins, you’ll be notified via Xbox Live message! For additional details and updates leading up to the start of the closed beta, follow @XboxInsider on Twitter.

Mista

Banned
Thank you Kagey K Kagey K

Edit: Hold on! It says only available for those in USA and Canada. Thats store wise only or is this another garbage IP locked bollocks?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Thank you Kagey K Kagey K

Edit: Hold on! It says only available for those in USA and Canada. Thats store wise only or is this another garbage IP locked bollocks?
I'm actually unsure, but if I had to guess it's probably that they are only setting up NA servers for the beta test, so you will probably be able to connect but the experience will not be optimal. Were you able to opt in in the insider app?

Mista

Banned
I'm actually unsure, but if I had to guess it's probably that they are only setting up NA servers for the beta test, so you will probably be able to connect but the experience will not be optimal. Were you able to opt in in the insider app?
I’m far from home currently. I’ll check on sunday when im back

McCheese

Xbox launched this generation with Microsoft shafting us Europeans, the TV pass-thru didn't work properly with the UK 50hz signal and we ended up getting screen tearing just watching TV on the thing, the TV planner/recording feature was disabled, and we never did get any of that exclusive sports stuff either.

Sad to see they intend to go out this generation the same way, I love PSO, and have jumped through the various hoops over the years to play PSO2. That they would do a business deal to finally bring this to the west, then just not fucking bother outside of the US shows they still haven't learnt why they lost their stronghold here.

Fuck MS, again.

Last edited:

TheContact

PSO for the Dreamcast was so much fun but that seems like an obvious statement. My OG Dreamcast still works and I play the game offline from time to time. What ruined the experience for me back in the very early 2000s was the rampant hacking since you could simply use a game shark to break the game. It just became hackers everywhere. Playing the game offline isn’t nearly as fun on the DC.

Vaz

Neo Member
PSO2 has been available for the Japanese for a long time, like years I think. Now they are finally getting to North America? This is so weird to me.

Kindjal

PSO for the Dreamcast was so much fun but that seems like an obvious statement. My OG Dreamcast still works and I play the game offline from time to time. What ruined the experience for me back in the very early 2000s was the rampant hacking since you could simply use a game shark to break the game. It just became hackers everywhere. Playing the game offline isn’t nearly as fun on the DC.

Yeah, I agree. I got Nolled a couple of times before finally settling with my main character.
That's not to speak about the rampaging hacked Spread Needles or OP Mags running amok, lol. I loved that game.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m far from home currently. I’ll check on sunday when im back
So talking to some friends, they had to change their Xbox region on their console to US or CAN and then boot up the Insider app to be able to opt in to the beta. It was unavailable to them otherwise.

Hopefully that means as long as your console is set to that region you can play on the NA servers.

McCheese

Nice text and all but this is actually Sega's decision. You will probably find another reason to blame MS though.

Sega's decision was to not release it in the west, big Phil went over there and convinced them otherwise.

I get we have 1001 languages to translate 5 years worth of content into, but they could just give us a European English server and most folks would be okay.

cireza

they could just give us a European English server and most folks would be okay
This is what will eventually happen, but it is totally unrelated to your first comment anyway.

Microsoft approached them with infrastructure solutions, the rest is up to Sega, not MS. Thank MS for the game to have a chance in the West, they are the ones enabling it. This is not an exclusivity deal in any way, MS did not pay Sega for it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Looks like it only runs Feb 7 - 8 and you get to keep your progress.

The wait is finally over! The Closed Beta Test for one of Japan’s biggest online RPGs, Phantasy Star Online 2 (PSO2), starts Friday, February 7th at 5 PM (PST). Participants will retain their progress and have a chance to obtain special in-game rewards. Sign up now through the Xbox Insider Hub!

Closed Beta Test Schedule
  • Starts: Friday, February 7th, 5 PM (PST)
  • Ends: Saturday, February 8th, 11:59 PM (PST)
  • Official Website: Opens Friday, February 7th, 10 AM (PST)
Pre-Load: Players will be able to install the game in advance starting Monday, February 3rd.

Download it once: You can update the existing client for the upcoming Open Beta Test and Launch without having to redownload the game.

Take on Urgent Quests
Join forces with up to eleven other operatives and experience unforgettable boss battles in special events called Urgent Quests. These challenges happen at specific times throughout the day, so make sure to check the schedule below so you don’t miss out on obtaining unique rewards during the Closed Beta Test!

February 7th Quests
  • 8 to 8:30 p.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness
  • 10 to 10:30 p.m. PST – Giant Automata: The Awakening
February 8th Quests
  • 7 to 7:30 a.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness
  • 1 to 1:30 p.m. PST – Giant Automata: The Awakening
  • 5 to 5:30 p.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness
  • 8:30 to 9 p.m. PST – The Raging Obsidian Arm
  • 9 to 9:30 p.m. PST – Elder of the Unfathomable Abyss
Obtain Special Rewards
Beta Testers will have a chance to claim special rewards for either logging in or for participating in Urgent Quests. Make sure to check the requirements below to maximize your chances of obtaining them all!

Immediate Rewards
Players will receive these rewards immediately after logging in during the Closed Beta Test.

• First Login – Photon Halo B (Accessory) and Beauty Salon Free Pass (Consumable)
  • Daily Rewards – EXP Boost +50% (x3), Rare Drop Boost +50% (x3), Meseta Boost +50% (x3) (Consumables)
Special Rewards
Players will receive these rewards when the game officially launches (release date TBA).

• Complete 1 Urgent Quest – Photon Halo C (Accessory), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
  • Complete 2 Urgent Quests – Photon Halo A (Accessory), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
  • Complete 3 Urgent Quests – Mag Dreamcast (Evolution Device), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
  • Complete 4 Urgent Quests – Coated Edge (Weapon Camo), Triboost +100% (x10) (Consumable)
Watch Concerts Live
Meet Quna, Oracle’s favorite music idol! Gather your friends during the Closed Beta Test and watch her perform live in the Ship’s Shopping Plaza. Concert-goers will not only have a great time but also receive multiple buffs afterward! It’s a unique experience that you will not want to miss!

• February 8th – 8 to 8:15 p.m. PST – Performing the songs “Our Fighting” and “Eternal Encore”
  • Buffs Received – Rare Drop Rate Increase, Meseta Drop Rate Increase, and Experience Points Rate Increase
The time to join ARKS is almost here! See you in the Closed Beta Test!

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I wonder how much of the main episode plots are going to be the same, and how they're going to change the story or some of the visuals

Have a teenager running around in cut up clothes for an entire story arch, prolly not going to mesh well out in the west

That and the crazy amount of cross over events (For cosmetics, like, holy shit is there a lot of promotional events in the JP version)

Reactions: Isa

Hinedorf

Banned
Here's a milestone moment for Microsoft this generation. The first exclusive game I'm disappointed to be missing out on because I only have PS4 :-( I'm waiting for this with Game pass

Reactions: Isa

The Snake

Here's a milestone moment for Microsoft this generation. The first exclusive game I'm disappointed to be missing out on because I only have PS4 :-( I'm waiting for this with Game pass

Yeah I was pretty surprised by the announcement. I'll be playing on PC. I already play the Japanese version there so the change should be fine I think.

I do remember reading somewhere that it was only a timed exclusive, however.

Thabass

This is what I want Microsoft to give me:

1486969635819.jpg

eNT1TY

Shame this closed beta is console exclusive though you can still register for early sign-up for windows 10.

Havoc2049

Anyone able to download PSO2 yet. The download is supposed to be sometime today.

Here are some pics of the rewards for participating in the Beta.

And the Dreamcast mag! I used to rock this mag in Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Isa

Really excited for this! Going to try and get that Dreamcast Mag asap! Can't believe its finally happening.

Kagey K

Banned
4:45 minutes until it goes live. I can’t wait. Hopefully the servers hold up and we don’t sit at error screens. 🤞

Kagey K

Banned
Kagey, add me to your friends list. MajorHavoc 2049. Probably going on ship 1 or 2.

GT: MajorHavoc 2049
Done. I’ll be using console streaming until Live PD is over and then I’ll be on my console.

A couple friends decided we are joining Thorn or Thork or whatever the ship that sounds like Thor is.

Top Bottom