• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I got on late last night after the server maintenance. I got my character up level 10 and then went to bed. I completed one urgent mission. Just like Kagey K said, there is a lot going on in this game and I’m not sure what the hell I’m doing at times...lol
So, what I can remember from the Japanese version, at least

Urgent missions are timed events for players to get phat loot, and happen at predetermined times during the day (The Japanese version has a ticker for the events of that...week?)
Urgent missions are based upon the current story arch, usually to do with being attacked by some crazy shit and defending a base
The plot is WAY more heavily involved, and has a more clear narrative; I think it was the Episode 4 arch where it's crazy high school girl in lingerie running around....wonder how that's gonna be redone
MAGs are still the same, but more upgrade paths
Tons of more gear
Stats are huge, and there's optimal build types for each class and sub class; I think later you get two sub classes....
Complete story archs > hit up NPCs for their one time resource quests (They give you a phat amount of loot, but only 1 time) > Hit daily quests from the desk and NPCs
Upgrade your MAG > Get new passives and actives from the class vendor > Get gear > Farm > Repeat

This game is THE GAME I use for a definition of Eastern MMO dungeon crawlers; there's a hub (Your ship) and you hop into quests there, either solo, with a bot, or a team of players
It's also VERY HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY ANIME, so in between story archs there's goofy sub plots
In the Japanese version, there's a stupid amount of limited cosmetic items (From cross promotions of Anime, and just about any popular thing in Japan), and a LOT of lewd-ish items

P.S. Always buy boosts when heading out to the field, they help a LOT
P.S.S. Toasters are the best race in the game, convince me other wise

EDIT: Oh, and magic casters actually have shit to do in this game; the buffs, heals, and damage they do is actually meaningful in a group. A big part of the game is elemental or armor type weaknesses

Last edited:

Pantz

Help me out here...
What do I do with all the junk weapons I pick up? No way to sell them to npc? Is it just player to player selling?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Help me out here...
What do I do with all the junk weapons I pick up? No way to sell them to npc? Is it just player to player selling?
Bwahhh....you should be able to sell gear
It's the same NPCs you buy weapons/armor/magic from, down in the shop section. Wanna say you go down the elevator for it

Codes 208

The lip syncing in this game is so absolutely horrendous that its hilarious. And I thought Capcom was bad at this.

i mean in the first conversation with echo (or whatever his name is) theres a solid two seconds of his mouth moving with his speech already over.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Man this game is....feature filled?

I've never seen so many options. They have an option to do the tutorial in hardcore mode, but it only affects the tutorial? WTF? I thought FFXIV was overdoing it. I literally laughed out loud when I saw this and thought I must be misinterpretting this. Game is solid 60fps though on the X. My character looks badass too.

Havoc2049

So, what I can remember from the Japanese version, at least

Urgent missions are timed events for players to get phat loot, and happen at predetermined times during the day (The Japanese version has a ticker for the events of that...week?)
Urgent missions are based upon the current story arch, usually to do with being attacked by some crazy shit and defending a base
The plot is WAY more heavily involved, and has a more clear narrative; I think it was the Episode 4 arch where it's crazy high school girl in lingerie running around....wonder how that's gonna be redone
MAGs are still the same, but more upgrade paths
Tons of more gear
Stats are huge, and there's optimal build types for each class and sub class; I think later you get two sub classes....
Complete story archs > hit up NPCs for their one time resource quests (They give you a phat amount of loot, but only 1 time) > Hit daily quests from the desk and NPCs
Upgrade your MAG > Get new passives and actives from the class vendor > Get gear > Farm > Repeat

This game is THE GAME I use for a definition of Eastern MMO dungeon crawlers; there's a hub (Your ship) and you hop into quests there, either solo, with a bot, or a team of players
It's also VERY HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY ANIME, so in between story archs there's goofy sub plots
In the Japanese version, there's a stupid amount of limited cosmetic items (From cross promotions of Anime, and just about any popular thing in Japan), and a LOT of lewd-ish items

P.S. Always buy boosts when heading out to the field, they help a LOT
P.S.S. Toasters are the best race in the game, convince me other wise

EDIT: Oh, and magic casters actually have shit to do in this game; the buffs, heals, and damage they do is actually meaningful in a group. A big part of the game is elemental or armor type weaknesses

I get the whole concept of the game and how missions, the grind and MAGs work. I've played tons of PSO Ep. I & II, Ep. III, PSU, PSP, PSP2 and Zero. I even own the North American release of the PSO2 anime. As far as PSO2 though, I'm a total noob. My battle was just with all the menus and controls and getting used to everything and how to access everything. I finished the super simplistic prologue mission and as soon as I'm thrown into the lobby for the first time, the dome turns red and I know I need to get my game on with an Urgent mission ASAP, without even knowing simple stuff like where the mission counter is at in the lobby. :messenger_grinning_smiling: So I went from taking baby steps to participating in an Urgent mission, all in a hot second. I was able to figure it out though and completed the Urgent Mission one time.

Havoc2049

So I have to sit in the lobby all day and wait for urgent quests to get the Dreamcast item?

If you go to PSO2.com, the is a schedule. Although since the servers went down last night and people weren't able to participate in those ones, there have been some random Urgent quests as well.

Freeman76

So I have to sit in the lobby all day and wait for urgent quests to get the Dreamcast item?

You could, you know, play the rest of the 7 years worth of content like any normal person does and then do the urgent quests when they pop up. Are you only playing this for the EQ rewards or something?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You could, you know, play the rest of the 7 years worth of content like any normal person does and then do the urgent quests when they pop up. Are you only playing this for the EQ rewards or something?
tbh all everyone wants is that dreamcast item

Reactions: Isa

schaft0620

I have no idea what I'm doing the games been up on consoles for like 12 hours, chill out. That's why I'm asking.

And yeah im trying to get that cool ass Dreamcast stuff.

If you go to PSO2.com, the is a schedule. Although since the servers went down last night and people weren't able to participate in those ones, there have been some random Urgent quests as well.

I saw that but it's 3 hour windows for 24 hours. Not sure what triggers them.

Last edited:
The lip syncing in this game is so absolutely horrendous that its hilarious. And I thought Capcom was bad at this.

i mean in the first conversation with echo (or whatever his name is) theres a solid two seconds of his mouth moving with his speech already over.
Yeah I thought the game was lagging but it's actually the terrible lip sync.. The English voice ended 3 seconds earlier when the character was still moving this mouth. But at least I understand what they are saying

Pantz

So I completed four Urgent missions.. How do I claim my Dreamcast mag?

Not sure but I think the Dreamcast mag is tied to Urgent quest #3 (or completing 3 total, not sure if you have to complete 3 different ones or what) which will be available for the first time tonight at 8:30-9:30 pm pst

this page has what the rewards are tied to https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/01/27/pso2-beta-starts-february-7th/
this one has the updated quest times https://pso2.com/news/urgent-quests/cbtschedule

Last edited:

cireza

I have been playing the game (from France) this morning and had a great time.

Do Client Requests to gain a ton of experience. Talk to everyone in the Hub, many can give you requests. Only accept the ones that are relevant to your class and your level.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I get the whole concept of the game and how missions, the grind and MAGs work. I've played tons of PSO Ep. I & II, Ep. III, PSU, PSP, PSP2 and Zero. I even own the North American release of the PSO2 anime. As far as PSO2 though, I'm a total noob. My battle was just with all the menus and controls and getting used to everything and how to access everything. I finished the super simplistic prologue mission and as soon as I'm thrown into the lobby for the first time, the dome turns red and I know I need to get my game on with an Urgent mission ASAP, without even knowing simple stuff like where the mission counter is at in the lobby. :messenger_grinning_smiling: So I went from taking baby steps to participating in an Urgent mission, all in a hot second. I was able to figure it out though and completed the Urgent Mission one time.
HAHAHA YEAH DUDE
Hopping right into Urgent Missions will confuse the hell outta ya

Imagine PSO1 with more menus and some more ways to grind

Played for about 6 hours and reached level 24, really good game, combat is fluid. Feels good, looking forward to the full release

Enjay

Banned
Xbox launched this generation with Microsoft shafting us Europeans, the TV pass-thru didn't work properly with the UK 50hz signal and we ended up getting screen tearing just watching TV on the thing, the TV planner/recording feature was disabled, and we never did get any of that exclusive sports stuff either.

Sad to see they intend to go out this generation the same way, I love PSO, and have jumped through the various hoops over the years to play PSO2. That they would do a business deal to finally bring this to the west, then just not fucking bother outside of the US shows they still haven't learnt why they lost their stronghold here.

Fuck MS, again.
It's not MS' fault that yous use PAL.

Naked Lunch

So surreal playing this.
Takes me right back to playing online on Dreamcast for the first time. Game is good fun - its obvious its going to be dangerously addictive.

It seems each event only counts as 1 completion, even if you beat that one event multiple times. So youll have to show up to 3 different ones to get the Dreamcast mag.

Codes 208

Im a little disappointed that they got rid of beasts. Going dbz and turning into a great ape after hitting lv 20 was one of my favorite things to do in PSU.

Kagey K

Banned
How do you get the Urgent Quest Rewards?
We get them when the full game releases. Right now we only get the one arm Halo thing as the log in bonus.

The concert and then the raid stuff after was kind of cool. The urgent quests felt like they should have been harder after that buildup.

Xenon

Yeah, I agree with that. Though I have a feeling that had to do with the fact that a lot of the people I was running with were extremely over powered overpowered.

I hope the two sections. Of the same guy counts as two separate events. The 8:30 in the 9. Because I think I only did one before then.

Last edited:

Pantz

The concert was pretty hype
YmUY9z3.png

L5vRGhz.png

Plus victory photo from Urgent Quest #4
xT9RIh0.png

Kagey K

Banned
I’m going to pretend the beta is done now (It was supposed to be over) There is a lot to take in.

I really liked it and can see myself becoming addicted to the grind very quickly, it there are a few things I wish I knew before I started playing. The most important being related to story mode.

Story mode is basically a bunch of cutscenes with a few boss fights thrown in. I played a whole bunch of exploration and other stuff before looking at story mode and had to sit through what felt like 8 million cutscenes to get me caught up to where I was in my progression.

Once I caught up and explored a new area and then went into story and watched the cutscenes it made more sense.

The Lillipans are like little Ewoks mixed with Totoro and I love them.(Just saying)

Gameplay is solid, graphics are decent enough for a 7 year old game and I wish they would announce the full release date already.

cireza

Bad timing for me, the game is not available right now and will only come back at 2 AM Paris Time. Which means this is pretty much over for me.

Still had a good time, but would have liked to play some more.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
After watching some gameplay footage... I’m out I think. Doesn't look good at all. I’ll still play it for a bit at launch but I dunno. Not so hyped anymore.

Last edited:
Had a blast arguing with the supreme weebs at the concert event! And a CHUNKY GUNDAM blocked my view the entire time. This game does make memerable times! Can't wait for the full release.

Freeman76

What an amazing Beta. With PSO being my GOAT and been looking for something to scratch the itch ever since, gaming other than this could be over for me once this releases. I am ready to put £60 down on AC when this releases and give them the full price of a digital release justas a thanks for bringing this to the West. I'm not even joking that just this one move from Big Phil is enough to bring me back to MS for the next gen. Playing this in 4k on my XB1X its pin sharp, smooth 60 most of the time, just been a joy to play. I was logged in (managed 6 hours playtime and hit lvl 32) for 13 hours and it didnt DC once, they cant be far off having this ready for release? The ships were overflowing with people, 50 blocks were 3/4 full nearly all the time, they have a hit on their hands here and I just hope its enough to make those assholes at Sega realise there is profit outside of Japan when PSO3 hits.

CAB_Life

After watching some gameplay footage... I’m out I think. Doesn't look good at all. I’ll still play it for a bit at launch but I dunno. Not so hyped anymore.

Game hasn’t aged well, that’s for sure. It has a wealth of content, so if you can look past the dated visuals you’ll find tonnes to enjoy. Wasn’t my thing, personally. I’m too invested in modern and on the horizon MMOs to sink hours upon hours into this.

Last edited:

Xenon

I feel sorry for anyone who can't look past the graphics in PSO2. I will say that for some reason the intro cutscene has zero shading and leaves a bad first impression. The in game stuff looks a lot better. Some of the casts models in the story mode cutscenes look amazing, sharpshooter one especially. Right now this game is poised to be my favorite for the gen and I hate ftp games. It's a loot game that focuses on technique instead of just statistics and builds. Which is why the first one has always been my #1 loot game. Because playing around with the combat is close to half the reason I kept playing, rather than just my next loot fix.

Freeman76

I feel sorry for anyone who can't look past the graphics in PSO2. I will say that for some reason the intro cutscene has zero shading and leaves a bad first impression. The in game stuff looks a lot better. Some of the casts models in the story mode cutscenes look amazing, sharpshooter one especially. Right now this game is poised to be my favorite for the gen and I hate ftp games. It's a loot game that focuses on technique instead of just statistics and builds. Which is why the first one has always been my #1 loot game. Because playing around with the combat is close to half the reason I kept playing, rather than just my next loot fix.

Couldnt agree more, people saying this hasnt aged well just dont appreciate the genre. Its not all about pushing max GFX and shit, the deep systems and complex gameplay are cutting edge as far as I'm concerned it doesnt get better than this. Obviously some people just want eye candy, but this game delivers that as well in places.

Dane

The concert was pretty hype
YmUY9z3.png

L5vRGhz.png

Plus victory photo from Urgent Quest #4
xT9RIh0.png

Watched the show, man what a soulful game.

All I knew is that SEGA planned a western release shortly after Japan and it never happened, it was even memed sometimes, now I can see why people were so happy when it was finally comming for real.

W
Watched the show, man what a soulful game.

All I knew is that SEGA planned a western release shortly after Japan and it never happened, it was even memed sometimes, now I can see why people were so happy when it was finally comming for real.
Which ship were you in?

Top Bottom