• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Community Thread: "There was a title here...It's gone now"

jW9OCeQ8eKC5h.png

Welcome to the Silent Hill Community thread!

In this thread you can talk about everything Silent Hill.

Rules
  • Be sure to mark spoilers accordingly. Silent Hill is a very story based game, so we wouldn't want to spoil a game/movie for anyone interested
  • Discussion of anything Silent Hill related is allowed. Videogames, movies, books, etc.
  • Be respectful, and have fun discussing

jbzJIKxZln7ZCU.png

What is Silent Hill?
Silent Hill is a psychological survival horror game series.

Do I have to play these games in any order to fully understand it?
No, but there is one exception. It is best to play Silent Hill 1, before Silent Hill 3. Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel to Silent Hill 1, and uses various imagery/references to Silent Hill 1. So most likely you should play SH1 before 3.

I love the music in Silent Hill. Why is that?
Akira Yamaoka is why. He's highly regarded for the music in Silent Hill. Here's a sample from Silent Hill 3

Alright, you got me. I'm interested in the series now. So where do I start?
Anywhere. If your looking for the best first time experience, then me and probably most Silent Hill fans would recommend Silent Hill 1, 2, and 3. Along with Shattered Memories, if you want something a bit different.

I heard there's a guide to make my experience with Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 better on PC. Where is it?
Here you go

I saw that Silent Hill 2 and 3 has an HD Collection. Do you recommend it?
No. I would HIGHLY recommend you try it out on PS2 or PC instead. The HD Collection is well known for being very buggy, and having many issues. You can pick it up if you want, but you have been warned.

Is the Silent Hill series completely dead? Has there been any sign of it returning?
Yes! It has been recently announced that a new Silent Hill is being made. The name of the game will be Silent Hills. So far what is known is that Kojima Productions will be developing the game, and Guillermo Del Toro will be involved with the project. With Kojima Productions on board, they will also be bringing their famous Fox Engine. Which is used on the latest Metal Gear Solid games. Norman Reedus who is famous for his role in The Walking Dead, is speculated to be the main character since he was shown in the trailer.
The announcement trailer can be seen here
For the full story on Silent Hills and it's reveal, you can view it here

jb1bWbTzgwG4z6.png

Silent Hill
iFXiVzS4vx44z.jpg

Release: Janurary 1999
Platforms: PSX, PSN
Official Trailer

Silent Hill 2
ibtUJumGsVsWDz.jpg

Release: September 2001
Platforms: PS2, Xbox, PC
Official Trailer

Silent Hill 3
iIxoYrCi7may9.jpg

Release: May 2003
Platforms: PS2, PC
Official Trailer

Silent Hill 4: The Room
iMcgCSNacbYjI.jpg

Release: June 2004
Platforms: PS2, Xbox, PC
Official Trailer

Silent Hill Origins
jNcIBGQmvf1HR.png

Release: November 2007
Platforms: PSP, PS2
Official Trailer

Silent Hill Homecoming
ibqbPtW3aEGXf8.png

Release: September 2008
Platforms: PS3, X360, PC
Official Trailer

Silent Hill Downpour
ibQ8aAfg4UwYm.jpg

Release: March 2012
Platforms: PS3, X360
Official Trailer

johkUnitvj0dZ.png

Silent Hill: Play Novel
ibhRN25E1uOcMI.jpg

Release: March 2001 (JPN)
Platforms: GBA
Gameplay: Visual Novel
Note: This is a Japanese exclusive game, but there is a translation guide for it.

Silent Hill: The Arcade
injdyySk8JNy6.jpg

Release: July 2007 (JPN) / 2008 (EU)
Platforms: Arcade
Gameplay: On-Rail Shooter
Official Trailer

Silent Hill Shattered Memories
iwxCXvQ5VRor.jpg

Release: December 2009
Platforms: Wii, PS2, PSP
Official Trailer

Silent Hill HD Collection
ibnBP2NYBLdFSQ.jpg

Release: March 2012
Platforms: PS3, X360
Games Included: Silent Hill 2 / Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill Book of Memories
iP0ysY7TOgwet.jpg

Release: October 2012
Platforms: PSV, PSN
Official Trailer

Silent Hill: Mobile (Orphan)
Release: November 2007 (EU) / October 2008 (NA)
Platforms: Mobile
Gameplay: First-Person Point and Click

Silent Hill: Mobile 2
Release: September 2008

Silent Hill: Mobile 3
Release: March 2010

Silent Hill: Escape
Release: Devember 2008
Platforms: iPhone / Ipod Touch
Gameplay: First-Person Shooter

jbtUTpLs76veSA.png

Videos

Making of Silent Hill 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIJ2EzUtpo
Making of Silent Hill 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VKvED76WQ
Making of Silent Hill 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiH4wOkSzGs
Silent Hill Usagi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hQf9byfwI
Silent Hill Ki-Ni-No: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VzcbT0e9o
Silent Hill Fukuro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O-kHCibgYg
Silent Hill Caramel Mix Akira Music Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdYyfVIhP8
Silent Hill Experience Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262iBUpATRc
Dance Evolution Masters Silent Hill Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soiVLyYCSlM
Dance Dance Revolution Silent Hill Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SrWe36y4tQ
Pyramid Head in Krazy Kart Racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVJR-l58FQ
Silent Hill 4 MTV Official Music Video: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...-the-room-taking-back-sunday---silent-hill-mv

Soundtracks

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2 OST
Silent Hill 3 OST
Silent Hill Origins OST
Silent Hill Shattered Memories OST
Silent Hill Homecoming OST
Silent Hill Downpour
Silent Hill Book of Memories

Films

jA1XogKOxZW6y.png

Silent Hill The Movie – Based on the story of Silent Hill 3
Release: April 2006
Movie Trailer

Silent Hill The Movie 2 Revelations 3D – A sequel to to the Silent Hill film released in 2006
Release: October 2012
Movie Trailer

Silent Hill: The Experience
Release: April 2006
Platforms: PSP
Note: This is a promotional item for the Silent Hill movie, which was released in 2006. It contains music from the Silent Hill games, a collection of digital comics, music videos, and videos/trailers from the games/movie.

Lost Memories: The Art and Music of Silent Hill
Note: A DVD containing the soundtracks, trailers, art, etc. From Silent Hill 1-3.

Books

Silent Hill: The Novel
Silent Hill 2: The Novel
Silent Hill 3: The Novel
Book of Lost Memories
Silent Hill: Dying Inside
Silent Hill: Among the Damned
Silent Hill: Paint It Black
Silent Hill: The Grinning Man
Silent Hill: Dead/Alive
Silent Hill: Hunger
Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward
Silent Hill: Past Life

Jawmuncher

I love Silent Hill.
Still haven't played 1, 2, 3, or The Room yet.
I played everything else though.
I know I need to rectify this.

addik

Yay! Now I have a place to express my fanboyism about this series.

and to further debate how Shattered Memories was actually a good game

Silky

Banned
Silent Hill 4 is a great game, and I consider it to be much more interesting than the first two titles. I really wish people would stop ignoring it.

Shattered Memories was good too.

But of course 2 & 3 were the GOATS.

My friend is letting me borrow Downpour, and believe it or not it's pretty servicable. Obviously the weakest SH title, but it's a step up from Origins/Homecoming. I think if you look at it as a different horror title you'll find something special.

Book of Memories is shit.

HD collection is shit.

The movies are good.

Silent Hill 2 is amazing.
shattered memories and SH3 are pretty solid
downpour was awful.

i'm hoping we get a next gen silent hill more the style of SH2 and SH3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love Silent Hill.
Still haven't played 1, 2, 3, or The Room yet.
I played everything else though.
I know I need to rectify this.

Yes you need to.

1, 2, and 3 are the superior SH games.

How is Book of Memories?

Book of Memories is fun but I don't consider it Silent Hill at all. It's very much a fanservice game and I appreciate that. I loved the music in it, which surprised me, since I didn't expect much.

I really dislike the weapon system in it (durability based and shit breaks permanently) and the load times are godawful.

I still spent probably 100+ hours in it and I haven't seen everything.

Any way, great community thread. Subscribed. I've played every Silent Hill game that has come to America and love talking about them. There's not a single Silent Hill I dislike.

Jawmuncher

Yes you need to.

1, 2, and 3 are the superior SH games.

I was all pumped and ready to go for the HD collection and we know how that went.
I have Silent Hill 1 on PS3/Vita but I feel it would be wrong to play and not be able to jump into the others behind it. Thinking of tracking the PC copies down after seeing the guide to a better HD collection.

Can I taint this thread by saying I had fun with Origins+Homecoming+Downpour?

4 is the worst game in the series but I do love the athmosphere. First 3 are the best tho. Wasn't a big fan of SM and haven't tried Book of Memories yet.

Second movie is the absolute worst out of this series. That movie was BAAAAAAAAAAAAD :lol.

I was all pumped and ready to go for the HD collection and we know how that went.
I have Silent Hill 1 on PS3/Vita but I feel it would be wrong to play and not be able to jump into the others behind it. Thinking of tracking the PC copies down after seeing the guide to a better HD collection.

I am lucky I still have my original psone version and ps2 collection so I can play on my old crt tv in its splendor

Silent Hill 4 is a great game, and I consider it to be much more interesting than the first two titles. I really wish people would stop ignoring it.

Shattered Memories was good too.

But of course 2 & 3 were the GOATS.

My friend is letting me borrow Downpour, and believe it or not it's pretty servicable. Obviously the weakest SH title, but it's a step up from Origins/Homecoming. I think if you look at it as a different horror title you'll find something special.

Book of Memories is shit.

HD collection is shit.

The movies are good.

I'm currently playing SH4, and I like it. Well... the first half of it. Once
Eileen started following me around, it got really tedious
. Also,
going through every level again. Then you have long coat guy or a
ghost chasing me around the level. The ghosts are so annoying in the game.

I liked SH4 too, but it just has a lot of annoyance's. It would have been great if they took out the ghosts.

It's a fact that 1-3 are the best, but I really enjoyed origins, and homecoming as well. They both really nailed the feel and atmosphere IMO.

Since others are doing it, I may as well post my ranking:

2=3>1>4>Downpour>Origins>Homecoming>Shattered Memories=Book of Memories

Not interested in arguing over which game is best because I love them all, but the above is how I personally feel.

UrbanRats

Reposting this from my last playthrough of Sh1:

iH0MVRr7NCp6w.gif

Harry's understatement made me laugh.

--
Also, 2>1=3>4>>Shattered Memories>Downpour>>>Homecoming.

Jawmuncher

I am lucky I still have my original psone version and ps2 collection so I can play on my old crt tv in its splendor

I had a million times in the past to grab 2, 3, and The Room at gamestop during B2G1 free but never pulled the trigger for some reason. When I finally wanted to they no longer had any copies. It's a shame Konami isn't trying to make them easier to obtain after they messed up the HD collection release.

_______________________________________________________-

From the SH Games I have Played

Downpour > Shattered Memories > Origins > Book of Memories/Homecoming.

The first 3 games here I actually really enjoyed a lot. Origins was actually my first SH game and got me into the other titles. Homecoming is the only game that I really didn't like. People think RE5 being an action game is bad Homecoming was all over the place with what it wanted to be. Lumped it in with Book of Memories since it's in the same boat. it's just all over the place.

After replaying the 2nd one a few months back, I finally got around to playing 3 and 4 for the first time. Three had some amazing atmosphere but the story was ehhh, 4 was brilliant and great right up to the point where my PS3 died, ended up having to watch the last part of the game on youtube.

The biggest surprise really was how much I enjoyed Downpour, went on a bit too long and it obviously didn't live up to the previous games but I thought it looked pretty great and played well for the most part. I still have Origins, Homecoming (which I don't like so far), Shattered Memories and...Book of M
ammar
ies to finish (not a great silent hill game but and okayish dungeon crawler).

Still absolutely my favourite game series, anyone reckon they'll make another one?

GrayFoxPL

1 still the best. I don't understand the praise 2 gets, compared to 1 there's barely any gameplay, and shooting, smashing, slashing has really bad stiff animation.

1>>>2

Guess I should do a ranking too.

SH2 = 1 > Downpour > Homecoming > Origins > SH4

I surprisingly, haven't played 3 yet. I can't find a copy of it anywhere. I've been borderline tempted to pick up the HD Collection just for it. I'll find one eventually. If all else fails, I can just order it online and hope it's in good condition.

EDIT: I found this funny when I was playing through SH4.

Go on...

impact

Banned
Can't believe it's such a hassle to play these classics on any kind of modern hardware. Would love to do a replay of 2, 3, 4 but it's too much work.

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 >>>>>>>> shit >> Downpour > SM >> Homecoming

1 still the best. I don't understand the praise 2 gets, compared to 1 there's barely any gameplay, and shooting, smashing, slashing has really bad stiff animation.

1>>>2

2 had great atmosphere, story, puzzles and characters.
combat was pretty lousy but i dont think combat has ever been the appeal of SH

Can't believe how low 4 is being rated, it has the best story of all the silent hill games in my opinion, it's also weird as shit. Sure the ghosts were absolutely dreadful but I loved everything else about the game.

There are not many franchises which I love more than Silent Hill. Everything about the first four is just so filled with depth and a sort of surreal beauty. The soundtracks are GOAT too. I wish that the series could get back on its feet.

There are not many franchises which I love more than Silent Hill. Everything about the first four is just so filled with depth and a sort of surreal beauty. The soundtracks are GOAT too. I wish that the series could get back on its feet.

Konami still employs several key figures from the original four games, and Yamaoka has said that he'd compose another game if he were asked. So, it's possible but everything is up to Konami.

Chabbles

I was looking through that thread/Guide linked in the OP "The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection"
Some of the links for the files needed for SH3 and 4 are missing/broken.

Can I ask a question here please:

Would someone please explain what the hell possessed Konami to insist on most of the recent SH entries to be Western developed? What happened to the classic SH team?

For some reason they became fixated on the idea that the series needed a new dev team despite the fact that the games were splendid to begin with and had no major shortcomings.

Jawmuncher

Konami still employs several key figures from the original four games, and Yamaoka has said that he'd compose another game if he were asked. So, it's possible but everything is up to Konami.

I really hope they do something with Fox Engine. SH looks like it would work great with that.

Top Bottom