• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Community Thread: "There was a title here...It's gone now"

Laranja

He does covers for Japan only, right? So it seems that it's more a Konami's decision than the dev team. For him to work again on Silent Hill it would need to be fully developed in Japan, I think.

Yeah, you're completely right.

Man, I'd kill for a new Silent Hill games with Ito in charge of the art.

Silent Hill holds a very "special place" in my heart. Easy sub!

My biggest hope for the series is that it goes quiet for a good long while, then resurfaces under the name of a great director to take it in a new, but familiar direction. I know not everyone is a big Kojima fan, but I think he could do wonders with the franchise.

I think the Kojima rumor started when Kojima said this when asked about directing the next Silent Hill:

"Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I’m not confident I can do it." "At the same time, there’s a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it’s something I can do."
"That said, I think Silent Hill has a certain atmosphere." "I think it has to continue, and I’d love to help it continue, and if I can help by supervising or lending the technology of the FOX Engine, then I’d love to participate in that respect."

I would love if Kojima could use his graphics engine on the game, and maybe supervise the script. Put some of his ideas on it, but not handle it fully. I could see it working, and actually would be pretty excited about it. The possibility of this happening is very slim, especially since he is already working on MGS right now.

Looking back SH1 and 2 really were phenomenal experiences. I loved the concept that each SH was going to be kind of a 'Twilight Zone' experience, with the only real connection being Silent Hill itself.
It's a shame it didn't last and SH3 (even though great) had to go into the "direct sequel" territory.

I remember reading about that and the executive meddling that led to SH3. SH3, while still a good game, shows where the "rot" started with the series IMO due to said executive meddling. It's a shame Team Silent couldn't pull off some of their other ideas, like the daylight game or whatever it was they were thinking about.

At any rate, SH4 really turned me off of the series, so I didn't bother with any of the subsequent games, but we'll always have SH1-3.

One thing I always liked about the SH games the "Game Result"/Results screen music.

SH1

SH2

SH3

SH4

Laranja

are the character modelers for SH3-4 still in the industry? they did some amazing work

I have no idea, but you're so right.

They're fantastic, both technically and artistically. It's been said a million times already, but I really think the models on Homecoming look worse than the PS2 models, despite the generation gap.

It pains me every time people slight SH4. Game was at least unique in its execution, and I felt like Walter served as an engaging antagonist. Great OST as well, though for the SH series that's a given :p

Also, so glad to see a SH community thread.

Guri

Yeah, you're completely right.

Man, I'd kill for a new Silent Hill games with Ito in charge of the art.

Agreed. From what I know about Downpour, it's a technical mess and it has a simple art direction. If Ito could handle the art, with an engine developed in-house (like FOX Engine is), then maybe it can go back to a good direction.

Mature

I think the Kojima rumor started when Kojima said this when asked about directing the next Silent Hill:

I would love if Kojima could use his graphics engine on the game, and maybe supervise the script. Put some of his ideas on it, but not handle it fully. I could see it working, and actually would be pretty excited about it. The possibility of this happening is very slim, especially since he is already working on MGS right now.
He commented on it more recently and candidly during a Q and A with Geoff Keighley. But even if KojiPro was just lending their tech and supervision, that would still be awesome.

RedAssedApe

Banned
would be nice to have silent hill going back to being a graphical showcase like it was during the ps2 era. was always impressed by those games

He commented on it more recently and candidly during a Q and A with Geoff Keighley. But even if KojiPro was just lending their tech and supervision, that would still be awesome.

As big a Silent Hill fan I am, even I didn't know he did a follow-up comment on it.

“A guy that is such a chicken and is so easily scared [Referring to Himself] – making a scary game – I’m very confident that something horrifying would come out from that. But on the other hand I would have to prepare myself to have nightmares every single day. Hopefully sometime in the future I’m able to work on this, but I would really need to prepare to have daily nightmares."
ibhggtOwUGUCxQ.gif

Darn it! Why did you show me this!? Now I really hope he gets to work on it in some way in the future. Regardless, I wouldn't mind if Kojima, or anyone works on it. I just want to see another Silent Hill game. Hopefully made for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Szadek

I only finished 2 and Shattered Memories,currently playing 3.
2 and SM are really good,but 3 could be my favorite.
2 loses points ,because the default weapon can easily stun lock most enemies.
That damage the atmosphere for me a bit.
SM has flaws,but the story is really good and makes up for most of them.

Right now it's
3>2>SM
...assuming 3 stays as good as it is right now(I played for 4 hours).

I have 1 and 4.I'm planning to play them soon.
However,I already played many horror games lately,which means it's time for a break after 3.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
jbtUTpLs76veSA.png

Videos

Making of Silent Hill 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIJ2EzUtpo
Making of Silent Hill 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VKvED76WQ
Making of Silent Hill 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiH4wOkSzGs
Silent Hill Usagi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hQf9byfwI
Silent Hill Ki-Ni-No: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VzcbT0e9o
Silent Hill Fukuro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O-kHCibgYg
Silent Hill Caramel Mix Akira Music Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdYyfVIhP8
Silent Hill Experience Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262iBUpATRc
Dance Evolution Masters Silent Hill Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soiVLyYCSlM
Dance Dance Revolution Silent Hill Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SrWe36y4tQ
Pyramid Head in Krazy Kart Racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVJR-l58FQ
Silent Hill 4 MTV Official Music Video: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...-the-room-taking-back-sunday---silent-hill-mv

I'll have to check which of these are included, but there was a Japan DVD release compiling some of this media titled Silent Hill: Lost Memories.

shlm.jpg

I also just started playing Book of Memories what is this I don't even

jaaz

Subscribed. Thanks for making this thread. I've played through all of them, but SH2 and SH3 are the ones I remember the best. Still two of my favorite games of all time. Nice to see so many other SH fans.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
OP, there was also a PSP UMD release that is (for the most part) motion comics called The Silent Hill Experience:

SilentHillExperience.jpg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking series. I only really love 1 and 2 (and consider both near enough masterpieces) but I can't stay away from this series and have to keep trying new games that appear. Admittedly I've enjoyed some of the later games (i'm also one of the few who like Homecoming) but that special feeling of 1 and 2 just has never reappeared, doubt it will either anytime soon tbh. Though saying that, not played Downpour yet so maybe one day I'll give it a go.

Really well made thread fellow GAFfer, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I had very fond memories of playing this with a friend of mine. His 2.1 System was really good (back in the day) and we got so many jump scares! I know they are going to re-release two Silent Hill games for the PS Vita. I never played those and I know nothing from them so I'll check some info to see if I should get them.

Thanks! I had some help from Dusk Golem to make this. I think it turned out very well.

I'll have to check which of these are included, but there was a Japan DVD release compiling some of this media titled Silent Hill: Lost Memories.

shlm.jpg

I also just started playing Book of Memories what is this I don't even

OP, there was also a PSP UMD release that is (for the most part) motion comics called The Silent Hill Experience:

SilentHillExperience.jpg

I'll add both of them, thanks.

Cudder

The idea of Kojima directing or writing the next SH scares the hell out of me.

Given the recent mediocroty of the series, I'd be willing to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Kojima directing a SH game could be super interesting.

Did anyone else manage to do the Silent Hill 2 10 star ranking? That was so difficult, but rewarding. Easily my proudest platinum trophy ever.

I wanted to attempt it, but never did. You pretty much have to know the game like the back of your hand, just never felt up for learning the game to that depth.

SilentHillExperience.jpg

This was pretty awesome. The interviews with Christophe Gans were pretty interesting, he really knew the SH universe well.

It pains me every time people slight SH4. Game was at least unique in its execution, and I felt like Walter served as an engaging antagonist. Great OST as well, though for the SH series that's a given :p

Also, so glad to see a SH community thread.

SH4 is frustrating because a lot of potential was left on the table... and I think there are two major reasons for that:

-It started development as a new IP (a traditional Japanese ghost story) and was converted to a SH, so project concentration within the entire team presumably had to switch.
-Extra development time was not added to compensate for the switch.

Even converted from an original IP, SH4 could have retained those ideas and still remained very unique, yet still having a good connection to the series. The problem is it appears there wasn't enough time to make the proper adjustments (how much more would adding a proper 'otherworld' have helped?); the monster designs seem like they were intentionally made to separate the game from a SH game, so when it actually became a SH game many of the designs, including the ghosts, lacked originality compared to the work Ito did for SH1-3.
The end game backtracking, stock sound effects, and seemingly dozens of Yamaoka songs not even making it into the game show the game still needed a good amount of production time.

A damn shame, because there was a lot of fascinating stuff there.

psychotron

I love this thread and am saddened at the same time. It's making me feel like there's an announcement imminent when there most likely is not. I'll take an entire series PS4 remaster done properly in the meantime. :)

The idea of Kojima directing or writing the next SH scares the hell out of me.

yeah, i love kojima but his style is not suited for a silent hill game.and his storytelling method is basically the opposite of SH2 which told the story through a few cutscenes but mostly the atmosphere and symbolism.

if kojima directed SH2 James would have a 40 minute codec conversation with maria shooting the shit :(

Neolith

I would pay yamaoka to compose a soundtrack for my life, he's probably the only VGM artist I listen to out of games consistently

Anung

Un Rama
To be fair if they were going to make a new SH regardless I'd rather Kojima take a stab at it instead of some American studio try and rip off Silent Hill 2 and it be awful. Kojima can do mind fuck and crazy.

yeah, i love kojima but his style is not suited for a silent hill game.and his storytelling method is basically the opposite of SH2 which told the story through a few cutscenes but mostly the atmosphere and symbolism.

if kojima directed SH2 James would have a 40 minute codec conversation with maria shooting the shit :(

Kojima has enough batshit insane ideas that if his mind could tap into the horror genre I have no doubt that it would be... interesting... to say the very least. There would probably be a barrage of mind-fucks by the end of the game. :p

That said, I'd rather he act as an executive-producer, throw his clout in to convince Konami the game deserves a decent production budget, dig up someone like Tsuboyama to direct/Owaku to write (hey, a good selling point: "From the minds of Silent Hill 2"), and push the project as a means to further show off the Fox Engine. Best case scenario right there, IMO.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I read the topic as "there was a tittie here, now it is gone"

I really need glasses :/

Anustart

I've only played 1, 2 and 4. I would rank those 2, 4, 1. Though its been so long since I've played one I really should do it again.

At first I really wasn't impressed by 4, but after mulling over the plot I really enjoyed it

Also, my fondest memories are:

1) Turning on expert puzzles and being absolutely stumped at like the first one.

2) Light bulbs in a can.

4) Walters story/motives. (I think he was named Walter, right?)

Everyone seems to love 3, I really should find a way to play it huh?

I've only played 1, 2 and 4. I would rank those 2, 4, 1. Though its been so long since I've played one I really should do it again.

At first I really wasn't impressed by 4, but after mulling over the plot I really enjoyed it

Also, my fondest memories are:

1) Turning on expert puzzles and being absolutely stumped at like the first one.

2) Light bulbs in a can.

4) Walters story/motives. (I think he was named Walter, right?)

Everyone seems to love 3, I really should find a way to play it huh?

I hope you can get a chance to play the PS2 (PC?) version, as the voice acting is much better in my opinion than the re-dub for the 'HD Collection' PS3/360 version.

SH3 is actually pretty freaky. Some of the in-game effects (i.e. the otherworld) are just amazing. The technical wizards within the Silent Hill Team really did outstanding work and the overall art direction is very strong.

Am I the only one who thinks Origins is seriously underrated? The character designs and graphics were awful, but boy did they nail the feel of the early Silent Hill games.

Am I the only one who thinks Origins is seriously underrated? The character designs and graphics were awful, but boy did they nail the feel of the early Silent Hill games.

I think it was a solid attempt, but the things that bugged me bugged me a lot (PSP version here).

-Travis seemed like he was made of glass. I appreciate the whole 'normal guy' thing, but when enemies are fairly aggressive & Travis can only take about 3 solid hits without healing I found it pretty easy to die quickly in the game.
-The 'breakable weapons' thing was much worse than SH4 and Downpour, IMO.
-The camera was goddamn terrible a good deal of the time, even for tank-survival horror standards. There were a few times I couldn't see shit because the camera would get screwy. Combine that with my first two issues and there were multiple times I got very frustrated with the game.

That said, I think for a PSP game it looked fantastic, the story (for a 'prequel' game, which I normally hate) was decent, some of the locations (like the theater) were interesting, and I thought it had the best, most Ito-like creature designs of all the outsourced SH games.

I think Climax has done well with their two SH games.

Darkangel

Anyone know the best settings for Silent Hill 4 in PCSX2? I'm getting some graphical glitches on character faces with the default settings.

Since I'm on the topic of Silent Hill 4, are there any graphical differences between the Xbox and PS2 versions? I'm pretty sure the Xbox version runs in 480p and has Dolby 5.1.

I've only played SH3, and I really loved it. Was pretty creeped out at quite a few points in it.
Seeing this thread has reminded me I need to play through the others, so I reckon I'll buy them on my Vita when I go home this weekend.
Related to that, how do the older ones hold up? Do they still play well? (Specifically on the vita)

I recently replayed the first four games on the ps2 and man I was scared even more than I played the games as I was 12 to 16 years old.
Seems like I accumulated some psychic problems. :(

I think it was a solid attempt, but the things that bugged me bugged me a lot (PSP version here).

-Travis seemed like he was made of glass. I appreciate the whole 'normal guy' thing, but when enemies are fairly aggressive & Travis can only take about 3 solid hits without healing I found it pretty easy to die quickly in the game.
-The 'breakable weapons' thing was much worse than SH4 and Downpour, IMO.
-The camera was goddamn terrible a good deal of the time, even for tank-survival horror standards. There were a few times I couldn't see shit because the camera would get screwy. Combine that with my first two issues and there were multiple times I got very frustrated with the game.

That said, I think for a PSP game it looked fantastic, the story (for a 'prequel' game, which I normally hate) was decent, some of the locations (like the theater) were interesting, and I thought it had the best, most Ito-like creature designs of all the outsourced SH games.

I think Climax has done well with their two SH games.

Add his stamina to the list as well. He could only run for a few seconds before he has to walk. I also hated the way nutrition drinks were used. I think it recovered his health half way, which didn't help much. Like you mentioned, he can only take 3 hits before he's dead.

Imbarkus

The biggest transgression of 0rigins was making the otherworld a navigation challenge you entered willingly.

Also, toasters. Too many toasters in Travis' pocket.

OP, Pyamid Head was in the International Track and Field for the Nintendo DS too, and is the only reason I bought it.

I would love a console port of Silent Hill: The Arcade. I know Konami won't do it, but I'd love to play it sometime.

I'll have to check which of these are included, but there was a Japan DVD release compiling some of this media titled Silent Hill: Lost Memories

That DVD has the music videos and maybe some game trailers, but nothing from SH4 as it was a promotional item for Silent Hill 3.

DVCY201

Just got through Downpour. I got 2 of the endings, and I completed all of the side quests. I'll have to go through another time to collect all of the memorabilia for Murphy's Journal. All in all, not too bad. Had some good art, and direction. Only part that rubs me wrong is that
Murphy's crime changes depending on the ending. If you play it good, he never actually kills anyone.
So why is he even there then?

Mature

Darn it! Why did you show me this!? Now I really hope he gets to work on it in some way in the future. Regardless, I wouldn't mind if Kojima, or anyone works on it. I just want to see another Silent Hill game. Hopefully made for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Given the recent mediocroty of the series, I'd be willing to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Kojima directing a SH game could be super interesting.
Kojima has enough batshit insane ideas that if his mind could tap into the horror genre I have no doubt that it would be... interesting... to say the very least. There would probably be a barrage of mind-fucks by the end of the game. :p
I think just looking at the first Phantom Pain trailer (before it was announced to be Metal Gear Solid V), you can tell that he has a knack for creating a creepy, heavy atmosphere— which I think is probably the most important aspect in any Silent Hill game. I'd love to see what he comes up with.

Mmmmm, I always love me some Silent Hill! One of my favourite franchises! Very curious to know where Konami is going to take the franchise. As long as they keep it a Lynchian, pyschological, single-player experience, I will likely be quite pleased.

Top Bottom