• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They were meant to be little mini "sidestories"--echoes of the town that you were picking up on. Maybe they were Cheryl's friends or things she heard about. Similar to mainstream SH games you find a note (in SH2) about Walter Sullivan or whatnot. They relate to the overall themes and mood of the story - but James himself has nothing to do with Walter (other than they both perform a ritual? but that's kind of a retcon).

Like the sidequests in Downpour. Creepy, thematic, not necessarily critical events.

I can see why it would be confusing, since so many of them (pictures in School OTW, shoplifter in mall) can be direcctly pinned to Cheryl. The ones that don't kind of stick out.

I see. Thanks for the reply :)

Beth Cyra

They were meant to be little mini "sidestories"--echoes of the town that you were picking up on. Maybe they were Cheryl's friends or things she heard about. Similar to mainstream SH games you find a note (in SH2) about Walter Sullivan or whatnot. They relate to the overall themes and mood of the story - but James himself has nothing to do with Walter (other than they both perform a ritual? but that's kind of a retcon).

Like the sidequests in Downpour. Creepy, thematic, not necessarily critical events.

I can see why it would be confusing, since so many of them (pictures in School OTW, shoplifter in mall) can be direcctly pinned to Cheryl. The ones that don't kind of stick out.

Since you answered that, can you at least lie to me and say there will be an amazing HD port of SM to Wii U?

I love SM.

Since you answered that, can you at least lie to me and say there will be an amazing HD port of SM to Wii U?

I love SM.

There will also be threats in the "normal" world, remixed dynamic otherworld transitions, and death will have consequences (whatever that means).

EDIT: and Harry will have an iPad instead of cellphone. But the game still won't pause when you play Angry Birds.

On an unrelated note, for someone who's interested in the concept of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Would it be worth picking up a copy on Amazon and emulating it with PCSX2 or buying the PSP version if I can't get the Wii version?

I absolutely love the concept behind the game, it's just that I don't own a Wii so I've been put off a bit from playing the game.

Teknoman

I liked the Wii version of Shattered Memories (so sharp, and the wii motions added a nice aspect to the puzzles) but it would have been much better if the enemies were just a little more creepy looking/they appeared in more than just chase sequences.

Thats the main problem I have with SM and DP, neither have odd/creepy looking monsters, or at least not on the same level as 2-4.

Beth Cyra

There will also be threats in the "normal" world, remixed dynamic otherworld transitions, and death will have consequences (whatever that means).

So cruel.

Well I did ask for it after all. Not a fan of Downpour and I doubt I will be into the Vita game but I will at least look into it when more media comes out.

On an unrelated note, for someone who's interested in the concept of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Would it be worth picking up a copy on Amazon and emulating it with PCSX2 or buying the PSP version if I can't get the Wii version?

I absolutely love the concept behind the game, it's just that I don't own a Wii so I've been put off a bit from playing the game.

Don't know, I can't imagine playing it with out the Wii, it really seemed best geared towards that system. I would go PS2 between it and PSP though.

Teknoman

If you can...i'd play the Wii version. It just seems like you'd miss out on so much (game has the best flashlight ever) without the wiimote (speak noises too).

EDIT: and Harry will have an iPad instead of cellphone. But the game still won't pause when you play Angry Birds.

As long as I can bash enemies with said Ipad.

EDIT:

This is what I meant by the thickness of the fog really driving the atmosphere home -

iocSKT3ihnhVd.jpg

ivbyAyMexD7bA.jpg

I know what it is since i've played the game already, but people just getting into the series would have a WTF face for a few seconds. You cant make out what you are seeing, but you just know its going to be...unpleasant.

iWtwL3fbs1Rma.jpg

And of course the whole run down/slightly abandoned town feel.

iYvRmZrd7wxo3.jpg

Also those talking about using PCSX2, the only thing that sucks is that the FMVs are busted for SH2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

If you can't get the Wii version, go for the PS2 version. Only reason I bought the PSP version was because the PAL PS2 version is hard to find, and I wanted to have all main series SH games.

BTW, Tomm, have you played Soundless Mountain 2?

Teknoman

What kind of crazy tech did Konami use to get the FMVs to run at 60fps? Its just so...strange looking. Amazing looking, but still strange. Gave me the impression that next gen SH titles would look like that back in the day.

Instead of Angry Birds, you'll be able to play Raging Robbies on Harry's iPad.

Actually I bet that ends up becoming a real game at some point.

You just use the warmer spot on the back to melt through the ice on the environment. Sorry. : (

lol that would be some MGS1 look on the inside of the case level stuff.

Oh and yeah when running SH3 on PCSX2, the self shadows are kinda messed up at times.

No but seriously, what does Konami plan to do about the patch for PS3? I don't care that they released 200mb of data and called it a day, it didn't fix the game I purchased and it still isn't up to par technically.

I don't want effects added in, I just want the framerate to stop nosediving, making the game go slow motion, or cause skipping and stuttering.

Call technical support? What jewel of wisdom are they going to offer me? Change my PS3? This is nonsense. This is particularly upsetting because SH is my favourite franchise and I'm not big on throwing money away on a product that doesn't work as intended.

Nemesis_

Roland/Tomm, can you explain to me why the music is removed during James and Mary's final conversation? There is a piece of Akira's music that is supposed to be playing after Mary whispers James' name.

I want to know why that music is gone and instead there is no music behind their conversation. That was seriously what pushed me over the mark in terms of my negative opinions of this collection. I'm on the 360 so I am unaffected by the performance issues PS3 users are experiencing.

But this really bothered me. I'm also curious as to the removal of the airhorns when James is walking down the long hallway between the Historical Society and the prison.

Were these more creative decisions or just oversights?

This seems like a ridiculous omission and I have to wonder what the development team were thinking. At least if it was an oversight they didn't purposely do it, but why on earth would you willingly remove this. The outcome, regardless of how it came about, is incredibly shitty. And we haven't even got a response so we will never know why either I am willing to wager.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What kind of crazy tech did Konami use to get the FMVs to run at 60fps? Its just so...strange looking. Amazing looking, but still strange. Gave me the impression that next gen SH titles would look like that back in the day.

I'm going to guess it's because they're interlaced. I believe the cutscenes in games like Tales of Destiny DC are 60fps too. Looks really freaking good.

edit: I gotta say I was expecting the ports to terrible, but a disaster like this is pretty unprecedented. That's what you get for handing a job for seasoned professionals off to a bunch of newbies with no console experience I guess.

Teknoman

No but seriously, what does Konami plan to do about the patch for PS3? I don't care that they released 200mb of data and called it a day, it didn't fix the game I purchased and it still isn't up to par technically.

I don't want effects added in, I just want the framerate to stop nosediving, making the game go slow motion, or cause skipping and stuttering.

Call technical support? What jewel of wisdom are they going to offer me? Change my PS3? This is nonsense. This is particularly upsetting because SH is my favourite franchise and I'm not big on throwing money away on a product that doesn't work as intended.

I'd like to know what the 200MB was actually supposed to fix/contain.

THe PS3 patch is supposed to bring the game to the same performance level as XBox. The easiest way to confirm should be VO synching to lip flaps.

If you look at the Kotaku vid from a few weeks back, you can tell the James/Angela scene in the graveyard is out of synch by a second or so.

Can anybody playing on patched PS3 tell me if that scene is synched now or not? I'm really concerned by the "patch, it does nothing" reports but I want to understand if it actually didn't do anything, or if it just didn't magically fix every issue.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wait their site is working again? Good on them for being able to fix that html. I must however stress that they also worked on Frogger Returns, that is both on ps3 and wii!

Oh what the fuck? I was looking at this website: http://phoenixsoft-mobile.com/projects.htm The website is Phoenixsoft but apparently that is Hijinx's old name. They obviously haven't updated it in a while.

Their work on consoles includes: Karaoke Revolution Glee: Volume 3, Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment, and Frogger Returns. That's all I can find. So obviously they had connections with Konami.

Persona7

Banned
THe PS3 patch is supposed to bring the game to the same performance level as XBox. The easiest way to confirm should be VO synching to lip flaps.

If you look at the Kotaku vid from a few weeks back, you can tell the James/Angela scene in the graveyard is out of synch by a second or so.

Can anybody playing on patched PS3 tell me if that scene is synched now or not? I'm really concerned by the "patch, it does nothing" reports but I want to understand if it actually didn't do anything, or if it just didn't magically fix every issue.

Not what you were asking but,

I was just playing Silent Hill 3 HD and the scene with Heather and Douglas where he talks about his son was completely out of sync. (with the patch)

UrbanRats

I don't even know why the issue is revolving around 4 words changed.
He has the approval of Blaustein, so really, whether you interpreted the story in one way or the other, that's not controversial at all.

Personally i was going to buy it 100%, because the PC versions are impossible to find and the Ps2 versions look like shit on the LCD, and the reason i am NOT buying it as of now are:

- shit framerate, stuttering and various bugs (at least on the ps3 version, which is the only one i can get).
- a lot of sound bugs.
- weird ground retexturing in SH2 and 3(if this is somehow for the new aspect ratio, i would've liked better old textures but in 4:3, although you can hack the widescreen on PC).
- horrible absence of fog, on both SH2 and SH3 (this is probably the worst offender) that in the case of SH2 shows a lot of weird background details that were obviously meant to be hidden.
- color alteration in SH3, plus missing effects.
- Only new voices on SH3.

The censored scene in SH2 has been debunked, so i crossed that one off.

Anyway, out of all those, the 4 words changed are the least offender, because they had the specific approval of whom those dialogues wrote/translate.

Someone may argue that i should try it for myself, but i'm not willing to blindly buy and hoping for the best.
If anyone wants to provide material to counter some of these points, i'd be more than happy to listen because in the end, i don't complain for fun, although i am "a random someone on the internet" behind the screen and the keyboard i am a Silent Hill fan and i want to play the damn games, period.
And i'm not here to point fingers and call shit on whoever, but so far this HD collection is not looking good, whoever is to blame is not in my interest and i'm seriously sorry if you're getting unwarranted heat, Tomm.
What i know is that as of now, Konami doesn't have a good image, especially considering its glorious past, it's basically a joke.
She should probably held in higher regard those few brands that are left to connect her with good thoughts.

On the bright side, i'm looking forward to get Downpour. :p

EDIT: Well fuck, you guys went on while i was writing. :(

Fixed. Stupid clipboard.

I'm not going to complain about watching that hilarious Mega64 video again. :lol

And yeah, the water in the boat ride part looked beyond horrible. It looked like he was on top of a wavy black and white blanket. Looks even worse now that I see the original version again.

Dreadful shit.

RagnarokX

I'm not going to complain about watching that hilarious Mega64 video again. :lol

And yeah, the water in the boat ride part looked beyond horrible. It looked like he was on top of a wavy black and white blanket. Looks even worse now that I see the original version again.

Dreadful shit.

I think they made the contrast on the water texture stronger so you could see it through the fog. Without the fog it looks horribad. It actually looks fine in the original.

Teknoman

"but the tank-like movement will probably make them feel archaic to players who didn’t play them a decade ago."

Sounds like this reviewer doesn't know about the superior control option...

I've never played with the other control option, whats makes it so different?

At the hospital now on 360. The difference in performance is crazy. I'm not entirety positive but I think the framerate on 360 is capped @ 30FPS while on PS3 it's uncorked and varies wildly because of it.

Other then a few minor glitches I've been having a great time. Now if only the game was patched to make it less dark i'd be quite the happy camper.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe we should stop posting upres-ed PC pics already guys for comparison. It's kinda getting annoying and we get it that the PS3/360 version looks inferior.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ROFL, I figured this would look bad: (late game location spoilers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTZeeVJYS98#t=30s
Row row row your boat, gently over the edge of the world!

Holy crap at that water...

Original for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhSz59KL5rI#t=6m30s
Holy shit.

Maybe we should stop posting upres-ed PC pics already guys for comparison. It's kinda getting annoying and we get it that the PS3/360 version looks inferior.
Just... watch those two videos. That's simply inexcusable.

I remember someone saying that they changed the "Despoiled" line in Silent Hill 3, I wonder if the 360 version has slightly different content because that line is still in the PS3 version.

They did. Actually, I've noticed quite a bit of dialogue in Silent Hill 3 that doesn't match up with the subtitles/original script.

Also, that 300mb patch seemingly did nothing. There's still a lot of slowdown and I noticed some really bad synching issues during some cutscenes towards the end of Silent Hill 3.

Man. The PS3 version seems to be so completely broken it's debatable whether it should ever have been released or not. As it is, they might have been better off just doing the HD collection for 360 only, and putting up the PS2 versions on PSN.

And yet the collection was originally announced for the PS3 only.

L O L

randomwab

KAOz

Short bus special
What's up with the music when James meets Laura? It sounds like it's been reworked, for the worse. Has this happened to other pieces of music in the game?

Yepp. When James is reading the letter in the intro. The music is changed there to some electric guitar.

Seems only to be when you use the new voices though.

I can't speak for Silent Hill 2, but SH3 has some really bad synch issues particularly with the "They look like monsters to you?" cutscene and the pre-final boss cutscenes. Those two have some of the worst synching issues I've seen since I started playing.

This is with the patch, by the way.

Yepp. When James is reading the letter in the intro. The music is changed there to some electric guitar.

Seems only to be when you use the new voices though.

I may be wrong but aint music changed only when 5.1 sound is enabled. If disabled the music is unchanged even when new voices are selected.

**Silent Hill 3 ending spoilers**

Did anyone else notice Douglas with a huge blood stain on him in the normal ending? It looked like he was stabbed as in the alternate ending, but he was just chilling on that bench under the stars.

Top Bottom