• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Started up the HD version of SH3 again, and it made my PS3 hard freeze, forcing me to reset it and let the PS3 recover/rebuild the file system. Goddamn this collection is a mess beyond belief :lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
completed 2, half-way through 3 and it's just a real shame about the Framerate & complete lack of or recent removal of DD surround sound, I think the collection would have been exceptable then, I mean the collection have it pro's & con's, it's nice seeing "Some" parts in it HD, instead of the blurred mess the originals are in, when compeared, but it's just it's con's shouldn't exist because they don't in the originals.

Bebpo

Banned
The progression of topic titles for this thread has been glorious to watch. Too bad about the game though. Gj whoever keeps coming up with the thread titles.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just as an aside, I was testing out my OG Xbox on my Sammy just to see how good or bad IQ was cuz its an LCD and was shocked at how damn good Silent Hill 2 looked. It was literally stunning to me; moreso considering how crap so many of my other games looked despite 480p. It was crisp and well-defined and even colors/brightness settings were good despite the terrible (and unchangeable) "Game" mode settings. A bit of a revelation really. Actually, Silent Hill 3 PS2 with "Sharp" setting on also looks pretty damn incredible as well. CRT is still the best (normally I play on my Wega) but Team Silent must have really been drinking some magic elixir when making these games.

I don't I'm ever going to attempt SH2's platinum. How were you able to manage it?

By practicing the boat stage over and over again. As for damage, you just have to be careful. The abstract daddy and the fight just before the boat stage do the most damage. It is possible to defeat the abstract daddy without getting hit by it once, but it's all timing. I made my second save just before the abstract daddy so every time I failed the boat stage or received too much damage, I would have to replay that entire section again. On one hand it's maddening, on the other it gave me numerous opportunities to handle that fight better.

PatzCU

It's too bad these HD ports are awful. I was really looking forward to being able to finally play through the legendary Silent Hill 2/3. I'm not sure why Konami would ever take another stab at quality SH2/3 ports now that this one has epically shit the bed. So sad.

Are there legit ports on any other platform? I know PC has a few of them but I'm not sure how good those versions are and I'm guessing they will be impossible to find.

Combichristoffersen

It's too bad these HD ports are awful. I was really looking forward to being able to finally play through the legendary Silent Hill 2/3. I'm not sure why Konami would ever take another stab at quality SH2/3 ports now that this one has epically shit the bed. So sad.

Are there legit ports on any other platform? I know PC has a few of them but I'm not sure how good those versions are and I'm guessing they will be impossible to find.

The PC port of SH3 is great. The PC/Xbox ports of SH2 are decent, even though the PS2 version is the best.

I'm doing a playthrough of SH3 for the first time on the PC. It's glorious. Performance, graphics, sound, controller support, all so well done. :D

40$ total with shipping from Amazon seller.

I just beat SH2 HD version.....

I must say that I encountered almost no problems with my playthrough...

Yeah the fog wasn't that great, and the water texture was bad....But everything else ran fairly well....

I didn't have any audio glitches, The sounds were in the right places and everything :/

I shit you not....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just beat SH2 HD version.....

I must say that I encountered almost no problems with my playthrough...

Yeah the fog wasn't that great, and the water texture was bad....But everything else ran fairly well....

I didn't have any audio glitches, The sounds were in the right places and everything :/

I shit you not....

The ones that had audio synchronization puzzles was SH3.

Yup.

Pawn shops and used video/game retail places are worth searching for SH2 and SH3.

:O

I don't wanna derail, but do pawn shops really have used videogames? That' never crossed my mind. As far as physical stores go, I thought I was only limited to Gamestop and the occasional, rare mom and pop gaming store.

:O

I don't wanna derail, but do pawn shops really have used videogames? That' never crossed my mind. As far as physical stores go, I thought I was only limited to Gamestop and the occasional, rare mom and pop gaming store.
Yeah, your mileage may vary, but there are some of them that have a pretty decent selection. They're usually better for finding older games, in my experience.

hertog

Completed SH3 for the very first time. I enjoyed the hell out of these crappy ports.
The games are just too good, and are still beautiful on my 42" screen.

In HD they really look like current gen games. Loved it.

Now starting SH1 again, thanks to my psn+ account I got it for free :)
Gonna play that via remote play on my Vita tonight.

dark_chris

From their official Facebook page.

Silent Hill fans, we are currently aware that many users have encountered technical issues while playing Silent Hill HD Collection and Silent Hill Downpour.

Development teams are currently creating online patches for both games, which will fix frame rate issues, as well as the audio-synching in Silent Hill HD Collection and the Auto-Save issues in Silent Hill Downpour. Players have voiced their concerns and solutions to these issues will be fixed and launched in the coming weeks. Patches for Silent Hill Downpour and Silent Hill HD Collection will be made available on both XBOX®Live Arcade and PlayStation®Network.

Thank you for your patience and stay tuned to this page as we update you on this ongoing process.

http://www.facebook.com/silenthill

Well, I guess i can say it rekindled my hope a little bit for this game and the company, but i won't hold my breath until the fix is up and nothing is more screwed up.

Lime

It's going to take more than a minor patch to fix the stuff wrong with both SH2 and SH3.

Also, they should make it up to the people who bought a faulty product. It is clear that the ports have been broken and not been through proper QA. An apology as well as compensation (free SH1 or some shit) are in order.

Completed SH3 for the very first time. I enjoyed the hell out of these crappy ports.
The games are just too good, and are still beautiful on my 42" screen.

In HD they really look like current gen games. Loved it.

Now starting SH1 again, thanks to my psn+ account I got it for free :)
Gonna play that via remote play on my Vita tonight.

You can remote play PS1 games? I didn't know this!

joe2187

Banned
I found some old used copies of Silent Hill 2 and 3 at a mom and pop game store for $6.50 each, seemed like a good deal, only had a couple of scratches on SH2 and 3 was clean.

I pop in SH2 and the game looks like shit...what the hell man? I dont remember it looking like this on the PS2. Maybe my comp isnt configured for the outdated settings but man It's nearly unplayable as it is, the sound keeps skipping and it's in this really compressed viewing mode with two giant fat black bars on the side, The game crashes during cutscenes and the audio is out of synch with the voices

Also I cant seem to get my X360 gamepad to work properly, it works but I cant map my buttons at all, I'm stuck with my action/attack button as START and swing as A pushing those both at the same times is madness!!

I'm a noob to PC gaming, is there any way to fix this? I fear for trying to install SH3 if it's going to be like this as well.

Nemesis_

Now that I have returned from banland, I hope everyone enjoyed my videos.

They were pretty good, you did get REALLY angry at times though that was a bit scary.

I also noticed you mentioned there was no woman sound in the prison in SH2. I played the game through about five times and it definitely happened in my 360 version.

Otherwise yeah, good vids. :)

They were pretty good, you did get REALLY angry at times though that was a bit scary.

I also noticed you mentioned there was no woman sound in the prison in SH2. I played the game through about five times and it definitely happened in my 360 version.

Otherwise yeah, good vids. :)

It's bugged. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't. I played through SH2 HD twice. It didn't do it either time.

Meanwhile, I always see bodies in Pyramid Head's room.

I hope that patch fixes Downpour or at least addresses most of the performance issues. In the meantime, I'm playing Silent Hill: Homecoming and I am not impressed so far. The music is great, but everything else...not so much. I got cornered by three nurses in the hotel (seems very out-of-place) and barely made it out alive. I hate that you are forced to fight the majority of the time, and the combat isn't even good.

Also, the enemy designs are terrible. The dogs and those smog monsters with the glowing weakpoints are some of the worst.

G_Berry

Banned
So I've been tossing up if I should buy the HD collection. Today I found a copy of SH3 on PS2 and I'm wondering if I should buy that and look for a copy of 2 later on.

quick question. How does it run / look on PS3 backwards compat, if at all?

kunonabi

I hope that patch fixes Downpour or at least addresses most of the performance issues. In the meantime, I'm playing Silent Hill: Homecoming and I am not impressed so far. The music is great, but everything else...not so much. I got cornered by three nurses in the hotel (seems very out-of-place) and barely made it out alive. I hate that you are forced to fight the majority of the time, and the combat isn't even good.

Also, the enemy designs are terrible. The dogs and those smog monsters with the glowing weakpoints are some of the worst.

just knife everything including bosses.

Jedi2016

So I've been tossing up if I should buy the HD collection. Today I found a copy of SH3 on PS2 and I'm wondering if I should buy that and look for a copy of 2 later on.

quick question. How does it run / look on PS3 backwards compat, if at all?
If you have a backwards-compatible PS3, it'll play fine. If you've got one of the later models, you're screwed.. those won't play PS2 games at all.

Combichristoffersen

So, no news about the patches for this and SH: Downpour?

In other news, I'm nearly done reading SH: The Terror Engine. It's.. not quite what I had expected it to be. It's a rather dry read, analyzing the cinematography and the use of sound in the SH series, but it's still somewhat interesting. Not really a book I'd recommend unless you're interested in such things though.

Lime

In other news, I'm nearly done reading SH: The Terror Engine. It's.. not quite what I had expected it to be. It's a rather dry read, analyzing the cinematography and the use of sound in the SH series, but it's still somewhat interesting. Not really a book I'd recommend unless you're interested in such things though.

It's an academic text, using media theory (e.g. Carrol) with the purpose of analyzing Silent Hill's affinity with the horror genre, as seen in literature and film. For what Perron intended to do with the book, I think he achieves it.

If one should criticize him for something in Terror Engine, I'd say his 1:1 application of film theory to digital games is misguided and incorrect. Although some aspects of film theory are applicable to the games as a medium, the ergodicity of games renders contemporary media theory insufficient in explaining many of the phenomena going on in games. This is especially evident whenever he puts in "[player]" after "viewer" when quoting film scholars.

Just finished SH2 (PS2 Greatest Hits ver.) which I purchased off eBay along with SH3. Damn - that game has a TON of atmosphere.

Got a start on SH3 and really looking forward to finishing that one as well. So glad that I didn’t go for the HD DooDoo releases as truly feel like I’m experiencing the definitive versions.

Just finished SH2 (PS2 Greatest Hits ver.) which I purchased off eBay along with SH3. Damn - that game has a TON of atmosphere.

Got a start on SH3 and really looking forward to finishing that one as well. So glad that I didn’t go for the HD DooDoo releases as truly feel like I’m experiencing the definitive versions.

That's because you are enjoying the definitive versions. Silent Hill 3 still looks amazing on the PS2.

L.M.A.O. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS, KONAMI?

Tomm Hulett: "We got all the source code that Konami had on file — which it turns out wasn’t the final release version of the games! D’oh!"

Yes, that's right. Instead of reverse-engineering the game from a retail disc, THEY BUILT THE HD VERSIONS USING INCOMPLETE BETA VERSIONS.

Love how Hulett acts so casual and non-caring about it. What a fuckface.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-problem-with-preservation?pager.offset=1

Cudder

Tomm Hulett: "We got all the source code that Konami had on file — which it turns out wasn’t the final release version of the games! D’oh!"

Yes, that's right. Instead of reverse-engineering the game from a retail disc, THEY BUILT THE HD VERSIONS USING INCOMPLETE BETA VERSIONS.

Fucking hell. So after all this, it was actually Konami and Tomm that fucked up by giving Hijinx an incomplete version of the game and not Hijinx themselves? I guess that explains the sound and textures missing. :|

Erigu

Amusingly, that means the PlayStation 2 games officially are the definitive versions.

That is so sad I can't even laugh about it. :(

Combichristoffersen

This is.. wow. I ain't mad atcha, Tomm. But Konami.. goddamn. Why do you suck so much this gen, Konami?

pa22word

Fucking hell. So after all this, it was actually Konami and Tomm that fucked up by giving Hijinx an incomplete version of the game and not Hijinx themselves? I guess that explains the sound and textures missing. :|

I don't see how it's Tomm's fault Konami didn't keep the final source code on file of a game that was made like 6 years before he started working there, and decided to push an HD collection of said incomplete versions they did have into production.

Top Bottom