• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Lime

L.M.A.O. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS, KONAMI?

Tomm Hulett: "We got all the source code that Konami had on file — which it turns out wasn’t the final release version of the games! D’oh!"

Yes, that's right. Instead of reverse-engineering the game from a retail disc, THEY BUILT THE HD VERSIONS USING INCOMPLETE BETA VERSIONS.

Love how Hulett acts so casual and non-caring about it. What a fuckface.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-problem-with-preservation?pager.offset=1

rzcskchlsk.gif

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't see how it's Tomm's fault Konami didn't keep the final source code on file of a game that was made like 6 years before he started working there, and decided to push an HD collection of said incomplete versions they did have into production.

Tomm gets a lot of unwarranted hate on GAF. I don't blame him for Konami's incompetence. Hell, I honestly feel bad for the guy, as I'm sure he does the best he can with the resources (read: shoestring and old bubblegum wrappers) Konami are allocating for the SH franchise.

televator

Tomm Hulett: "We got all the source code that Konami had on file — which it turns out wasn’t the final release version of the games! D’oh!"

Yes, that's right. Instead of reverse-engineering the game from a retail disc, THEY BUILT THE HD VERSIONS USING INCOMPLETE BETA VERSIONS.

Looks like Konami can't let EA and Ubi get all the hate... Well played Konami. Awesome way to stick it to your customers. That'll teach 'em to pay you money and expect a basic level of quality. Suckers.

Melchiah

ifwmim5wd4ao23yx5a.gif

Persona7

Banned
WHO RUNS A COMPANY LIKE THIS

A multitude of people need to fuck up at the same time for something like this to happen.

lol I wonder how many months it took them to figure this out.

kunonabi

Tomm deserves the shit he gets. His poor decision making in regards to the new voicework and script edits in the collection is proof of that. Doesn't help that his entire perspective revolves around SH2 and that he doesn't crap about the rest of it aside from his own games.

pa22word

Tomm deserves the shit he gets. His poor decision making in regards to the new voicework and script edits in the collection is proof of that.

I mean yah, fuck him, it's not like the guy who originally localized it agreed that the changes were for the better or anyt-

Oh shit he did...the hell are you whining about again?

I mean yah, fuck him, it's not like the guy who originally localized it agreed that the changes were for the better or anyt-

Oh shit he did...the hell are you whining about again?

They could have at least changed the fucking subtitles to reflect the changes.

The changes didn't need to be made anyways. They were strictly pointless and masturbatory. Blaustein probably agreed to it because he doesn't work on SH anymore and likely doesn't give a shit. It's easier to tell an idiot "sure" because it'll make them go away faster.

I don't see how it's Tomm's fault Konami didn't keep the final source code on file of a game that was made like 6 years before he started working there, and decided to push an HD collection of said incomplete versions they did have into production.
You are only allowed to hate Tomm, regardless of anything he has ever done or will do. Didn't you get the memo?
Blaustein probably agreed to it because he doesn't work on SH anymore and likely doesn't give a shit. It's easier to tell an idiot "sure" because it'll make them go away faster.
0MNUD.png

They could have at least changed the fucking subtitles to reflect the changes.

The changes didn't need to be made anyways. They were strictly pointless and masturbatory. Blaustein probably agreed to it because he doesn't work on SH anymore and likely doesn't give a shit. It's easier to tell an idiot "sure" because it'll make them go away faster.

I thought they changed the voices because the agreements they made with the SH2 cast (and probably the SH3 cast too) were really shaky and they were afraid of using them again.

Idk what this thread has been talking about but I just got this game as a gift. I played it for 20 minutes and I'm already feeling like I don't want it. Meh.

I thought they changed the voices because the agreements they made with the SH2 cast (and probably the SH3 cast too) were really shaky and they were afraid of using them again.
I believe he was referring to the couple of lines changed in the original script.

In regards to the voices-
gcm2k.png

Obviously, this is one specific viewpoint of the issue, but yeah.
I'm fairly certain the idea to do new voices was before the Guy Cihi stuff became public, so I don't know if that's entirely accurate. However, I don't know when Konami initially contacted the original cast in regards to using the VO again.

edit: censored out a possible spoiler.

the reason for SH3 not getting original VO's was because they "couldn't locate" heather's voice actor and didn't one of them die or something?

i think basically they knew they couldn't get everyone's consent, and the ones they COULD get a hold of probably (in their eyes) didn't care too much about it. so they defaulted to not even trying to get original VO consent from anyone at all. that's how it's been explained to me at some point. i think via online interviews with various people and guy.

edit: but yeah, i completely agree with the idea that they never intended to do original VO's in the first place. or at least not with SH3.

There are pretty much four different reasons I've heard for why things were the way they were.

1. Guy Cihi debacle
2. Couldn't find the voice cast
3. Original audio wasn't in the right format
4. New VO for the HD version just because

I think it's honestly a case of "pick whatever makes you feel best."

From Guy Cihi on Facebook:

When I met Tomm Hulett and Devin Shatsky last November, Tomm mentioned that some of the source code was missing and that they had to work with the compiled code for several entire sections of the SH2 game conversion. As I recall, he said the source code deficit was particularly burdensome for SH3.

Cihi also hinted that the entire original VO work for SH3 was missing from Konami's archives, saying that even if they had located Heather Morris in time, it wouldn't have been in there.

Lime

To think that the developers knew the game was broken, and yet they did nothing to warn customers or the fanbase. Fucking shameless.

Also, lol @ Konami losing the voices for SH3. Hilarious.

The developer could have reverse engineered the fucking thing. Ever wondered why Bluepoint are by far and away the best at these HD remasters?

I can't believe they decided to develop this from beta code. Amateur hour.

The developer could have reverse engineered the fucking thing. Ever wondered why Bluepoint are by far and away the best at these HD remasters?

I can't believe they decided to develop this from beta code. Amateur hour.

The best part of the 1UP.Com article is Tomm saying, "Well, it's not like we can just make a game from the retail disc." Then on the next page, someone from Bluepoint says, "We make HD collections by reverse-engineering the retail disc to make sure everything's accurate."

:lol

televator

The best part of the 1UP.Com article is Tomm saying, "Well, it's not like we can just make a game from the retail disc." Then on the next page, someone from Bluepoint says, "We make HD collections by reverse-engineering the retail disc to make sure everything's accurate."

:lol

Here I was thinking I had read that wrong... That's just incredible to read in the same article like that.

Lime

For those who are using the PC versions and noticed the recent implementation of Steam custom images I've made these for your SH2 and 3 Steam short cuts in grid view:

Silent Hill 3:

sh3_logo3zik83.png

sh3_logo5fdv9.png

Silent Hill 2:

sh2_7g6lsg.png

sh2any25.png

sh2_29vy2y.png

sh2_3i0g3j.png

Is that a common thing for devs to do? I can't say I remember ever hearing of something like that happening before.

It has mostly to do with selling a faulty product. Interviews or clarifications pre-release usually point towards developers or publishers indicating what expectations the customers should have. If Konami knowingly released such an atrocious piece of software without indicating what you could expect, they are clearly misrepresenting the quality of their product. Moreover, I think that Hijinx and Tomm Hullett should have declared or protested in public about the treatment of the SH2 and 3 ports.

jimi_dini

To think that the developers knew the game was broken, and yet they did nothing to warn customers or the fanbase. Fucking shameless.

Also, lol @ Konami losing the voices for SH3. Hilarious.

There were voice files here. They are gone now.

seriously - Konami, wtf. Anyway there are PC versions out there. There are PS2 versions out there. Why not just grab the voices from there. Yeah, lower quality yada yada but it would have worked

Roubjon

So on my way home from work today I stopped by my local Gamestop to see if they had any great last-gen games that I don't own yet. I was going to buy Metroid Prime for 4 bucks but then I saw they had Silent Hill 2, 3, and Shattered Memories. They had a buy 2 get one free deal so after dealing with the obnoxious Gamestop employee I bought them.

I don't really want to spend any more money, but do you guys recommend I purchase Silent Hill 1 off of the PSN before playing these? If that's the case then I'll gladly hand over the $7 for it.

Combichristoffersen

So on my way home from work today I stopped by my local Gamestop to see if they had any great last-gen games that I don't own yet. I was going to buy Metroid Prime for 4 bucks but then I saw they had Silent Hill 2, 3, and Shattered Memories. They had a buy 2 get one free deal so after dealing with the obnoxious Gamestop employee I bought them.

I don't really want to spend any more money, but do you guys recommend I purchase Silent Hill 1 off of the PSN before playing these? If that's the case then I'll gladly hand over the $7 for it.

You don't need to play SH1 before playing SH2 or Shattered Memories, but a) SH1 is still a great game, and b) SH3 is a sequel to SH1, so you should play SH1 first.

Roubjon

You don't need to play SH1 before playing SH2 or Shattered Memories, but a) SH1 is still a great game, and b) SH3 is a sequel to SH1, so you should play SH1 first.

Alright, I'll buy SH1 then. I can't wait to poop my pants over and over again. I get scared so easily in games, so this should be a blast.

Roubjon

If you want to shit your pants, find Silent Hill 4. Easily the scariest of all of the originals.

If my pants aren't brown enough from playing the other 4 then I'll definitely look into that one. These games should have some legs because I highly doubt I will blow through all of them in a row. I'll probably need a break.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I dare you to come up with one thing from SH1 and SH3 that comes anywhere close to Walter stalking you around in the second half of the game.

I agree with you, he follows you through rooms and shows up right in front of your face when you turn the corner on a camera angle.

... it's kinda like seeing the "Slender Man" videos, where he's just... there, and you're like "jeesh!!"

Combichristoffersen

I dare you to come up with one thing from SH1 and SH3 that comes anywhere close to Walter stalking you around in the second half of the game.

You must be joking. Walter stalking you wasn't scary, it was just annoying. The only genuine freak-out moment I had in SH4 was when you enter the room with the giant head, and that was weaksauce compared to stuff like the mirror room in SH3. SH4 is a decent enough game for what it is, but it is in no way, shape or form anywhere near as scary as SH 1 and 3 are. Hell, I'd put SH2 too above SH4 on the scare scale.

Melchiah

You must be joking. Walter stalking you wasn't scary, it was just annoying. The only genuine freak-out moment I had in SH4 was when you enter the room with the giant head, and that was weaksauce compared to stuff like the mirror room in SH3. SH4 is a decent enough game for what it is, but it is in no way, shape or form anywhere near as scary as SH 1 and 3 are. Hell, I'd put SH2 too above SH4 on the scare scale.

Completely agree on the Walter thing, but I've always wondered what people find so freaky about that giant head?

Completely agree on the Walter thing, but I've always wondered what people find so freaky about that giant head?
I never got that either.

Add me to the group of finding Walter more annoying than scary.

The scariest thing in SH4, personally, was the first time
your apartment started to drain your health because of a haunting. My one perfect safe haven was taken from me.
: (

Combichristoffersen

It's unexpected and creepy. It's not outright scary like the empty locker in SH1 or the mirror room in SH3, but that giant head is something otherworldly and unnatural.

Melchiah

I never got that either.

Add me to the group of finding Walter more annoying than scary.

The scariest thing in SH4, personally, was the first time
your apartment started to drain your health because of a haunting. My one perfect safe haven was taken from me.
: (

I found even that annoying after a while. =D
Especially, as you had to go there frequently to save the game, and access the item box. I really hated the fact you could only carry a handful of items, and even the bullet boxes counted as different items.

I found this apparition somewhat unnerving though.

It's unexpected and creepy. It's not outright scary like the empty locker in SH1 or the mirror room in SH3, but that giant head is something otherworldly and unnatural.

Well, I can understand, that her eyes following you might have that effect. BTW, has any game used the old horror movie idea, that the eyes on the paintings follow you? I can't remember seeing that myself.

Combichristoffersen

Well, I can understand, that her eyes following you might have that effect. BTW, has any game used the old horror movie idea, that the eyes on the paintings follow you? I can't remember seeing that myself.

I can't think of any horror game ATM that has used that ide, no.

Roubjon

So I'm an hour and 30 minutes into Silent Hill 1 and omfg the game is scary. The fact that it takes place in a goddamn Elementary School is absolutely horrible. You have no idea how terrified I was to enter the little girls bathroom, thank god there was nothing there.

And those dreadful noises. And the ghost babies.

So great.

Question: Are there multiple endings, like in Resident Evil? I really hope not.

There are no endings labeled "good" or "bad."

There are convincing arguments to be made for every single ending as to why it is better than any other ending.

Top Bottom