• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

http://kotaku.com/one-city-building..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

overpasses!
ss_cbc7d89819ce67efa012ba2a7726ac42ed677a82.1920x1080.jpg

This seems like a game that took a massive amount of inspiration from the new Simcity and is going to try to make it what everybody wanted. I'm highly skeptical though. Making the city sizes bigger and adding more features is not the only thing that makes a good city building game. The new Simcity has an amazing feel to it that i think will be extremely hard to recreate. A good example being CitiesXL, it has some of the features Simcity lacks but it feels bland as hell.

Here's hoping that this game will succeed on the features and overall experience that people want from these types of games. If it ends up being a great city builder, i'll be ecstatic.

This seems like a game that took a massive amount of inspiration from the new Simcity and is going to try to make it what everybody wanted. I'm highly skeptical though. Making the city sizes bigger and adding more features is not the only thing that makes a good city building game. The new Simcity has an amazing feel to it that i think will be extremely hard to recreate. A good example being CitiesXL, it has some of the features Simcity lacks but it feels bland as hell.

Here's hoping that this game will succeed on the features and overall experience that people want from these types of games. If it ends up being a great city builder, i'll be ecstatic.
100% agree. Can't get any worse, right? :)

jtb

Banned
it looks good. we'll see if it delivers.

fuck Cities XL though. fuck it even more than EA's Sim City fiasco.

having said all that, Paradox is a great great publisher. they're doing a great thing for the industry, appealing to these under-served niches. Cities in Motion was a game I (and maybe only me) have been waiting for my whole life. This looks to serve a specific niche too.

Pretty excited to hear more about this. I love me some city-building games. Mostly, just happy that there is actually going to be a Mac version at launch. Thank you!

Bumpers

what exactly did cities XL do to everyone that it gets such a bad rap? I'm curious :)
New game every year with the smallest amount of additions. Horrible engine which still does not have multi core support and suffers from memory leaks.

This has been going on since 2009.

Waikis

what exactly did cities XL do to everyone that it gets such a bad rap? I'm curious :)

They released cities xxl which is literally a reskinned cities xl. They also initially listed multi core support as a new feature and deleted any mention of it on steam when the community found that multicore, while utilised slightly, is still fucked.

samn

The new Simcity has an amazing feel to it that i think will be extremely hard to recreate. A good example being CitiesXL, it has some of the features Simcity lacks but it feels bland as hell.

So true.

Even though Simcity is fundamentally broken with many of its gameplay mechanics, it still carried me for 30 hours just on the feeling alone of building out a city. The music, the sound effects, the animations of buildings rising out of the ground, the feeling of having stuff respond under your mouse cursor was all sublime.

Jintor

So true.

Even though Simcity is fundamentally broken with many of its gameplay mechanics, it still carried me for 30 hours just on the feeling alone of building out a city. The music, the sound effects, the animations of buildings rising out of the ground, the feeling of having stuff respond under your mouse cursor was all sublime.

Yep.

And then you hit the barrier and it all just melts. Fuck. Fucking fuck. Urgh.

What a disappointment

DisgustipatedSA

Neo Member
Meh. After Cities XXL, I'm not that confident.
Seriously, using the Cities part of Cities in Motion totally fucked this game over. It's probably too late to change the name now but even dropping the cities part would be better. Just call it Skylines. No brand recognition is probably better than the negative association with the completely unrelated Cities XL series.

Hip Hop

Honestly, nothing has topped SimCity 2013 at this point for me. I really enjoyed that game and have yet to see something so intuitive as its tools.

Hope this is different I guess.

They really should have gone with a different name.

So is there a screenshot at how big the city can be?

The screenshot in OP looks nice, but feels "small" in comparison to something like SimCity 4, where everything looked tinier, giving it a bigger maximum look.

Unless the shots here are zoomed in, which is what I am assuming

Zafir

Seriously, using the Cities part of Cities in Motion totally fucked this game over. It's probably too late to change the name now but even dropping the cities part would be better. Just call it Skylines. No brand recognition is probably better than the negative association with the completely unrelated Cities XL series.
Pretty much. I assumed it was part of that franchise, but it seems it isn't, so my bad. But it's also their fault for choosing the name.

It's the game we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
So we'll buy it. Because it can take it. Because it's not our simcity. It's a functioning game, an offline game. The Cities: Skylines.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I will wait one month after release for reviews and feedback. City sim is not some kind of game you can review after playing for a few days.

Oh, that's nice. That's very nice. The info views are one of the things SimCity2013 nailed, and this looks to be at least as good.

So true.

Yep.

And then you hit the barrier and it all just melts. Fuck. Fucking fuck. Urgh.

What a disappointment

QFT. SimCity's problems are ones of scale. It's impressive how much else they got right, but the tiny size of the cities crippled the game. Which is a shame, because some of the stuff they introduced in the expansion was sublime. Give me those megatowers in a bigger setting, and I'd lose a month to it, easy.

it looks good. we'll see if it delivers.

fuck Cities XL though. fuck it even more than EA's Sim City fiasco.

having said all that, Paradox is a great great publisher. they're doing a great thing for the industry, appealing to these under-served niches. Cities in Motion was a game I (and maybe only me) have been waiting for my whole life. This looks to serve a specific niche too.

Word

magnumpy

the new sim city has soured me on the whole "god game" genre. it's been taken as far as it can go already, and everything from this point on is just repetition. really since the old SNES game everything is just repetition.

the new sim city has soured me on the whole "god game" genre. it's been taken as far as it can go already, and everything from this point on is just repetition. really since the old SNES game everything is just repetition.

Wow, there is so much wrong in this post I don't even know where to start. If you think the SNES Sim City was the epitome of city building games, then i don't know what to tell you. For people serious about civil engineering there's still plenty that hasn't been done and plenty that can be improved on. Literally any genre can be reduced to "just repetition".

Retro

I remember seeing some early videos for this and it looked really impressive, will have to pick it up.

... now all I need is a good historical city-builder and I'll be set. Nothing's really filled that niche since Caesar IV (Banished was pretty good though, just need terrain mods).

SimCity is done with right?

If the issue is just scale... why cant they finally allow for bigger cities? Seems like a damn shame.

Also, is there anything lacking with Skylines? Seems really 1:1 with SimCity and then even better seemingly... The artstyle is really gorgeous, but what faults do these smaller games fall victim to?

Some of the mods for SimCity 4 are incredible, adding much-needed complexity and fixes to a game that was and still is considered better designed than its competitors. I wouldn't shove the A-Train tycoon city-builder series aside either, as far as evolution goes.

That title..so suspect

Also link with the referrer in it still. Also this just makes me want that other one to get to 1.0. Vities City or something

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
it's... it's beautiful

my only concern is performance. these city builders run like garbage; even the old ones like Sim City 4 get choked up at around a million per city because it can't utilize multi-core processors.

This one appears to have proper multi core support.

It's also 64 bit only.

Giever

They should really just call it "Skylines" or think of some other good name, though I guess it's kind of late in the process for that. I just foresee a lot of concerns about it being related to the existing 'Cities' franchise. We already have seen a bit of that confusion in this thread.

Seanspeed

Banned
I feel it's actually a genre with a pretty crazy amount of potential.

Really looking forward to this one, although I will probably miss that classic SimCity charm.

spiritfox

SimCity is done with right?

If the issue is just scale... why cant they finally allow for bigger cities? Seems like a damn shame.

Also, is there anything lacking with Skylines? Seems really 1:1 with SimCity and then even better seemingly... The artstyle is really gorgeous, but what faults do these smaller games fall victim to?

Well, it's not out yet so we don't know exactly what problems it will have, but the foundations are good. I don't like the fixed lot sizes and the small ports/farms though, which is something hopefully modding would fix.

Top Bottom