• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
From the video I saw, it already had a highway running through the map at the start. Is this a standard feature of all the maps? Optional?

All the maps have prebuilt highways on them For a map to be functional, it needs at least one connection to the edge of the map to enable features like import/export, and tourism. All prebuilt highways can be deleted by the player, unlike SimCity.

Seanspeed

Banned
All the maps have prebuilt highways on them For a map to be functional, it needs at least one connection to the edge of the map to enable features like import/export, and tourism. All prebuilt highways can be deleted by the player, unlike SimCity.
Ah cool. So long as they're not permanent, I'm good.

CzarTim

SimCity 2013 map size. 2km squared.

Skylines map, size. 36km squared.

Whether 36km2 is bigger or smaller than other games in history or not, I'm just happy as hell to have 48x more space than I got in SC2013.

Oh and you can make bus lines that buses will actually stick to. YOU HEAR THAT MAXIS???? NOT BUSES THAT TRAVEL RANDOMLY CORNER TOMCORNER ON THE MAP TO PICK UP ONE GUY, ACTUAL BUS LINES..

And you can highlight an area, give it a name and set certain rules. For instance you highlight an industrial zone, call it "Farmington" and set policies that only allow agricultural industries to operate there. You can also use this district highlighting tool to locally set 'ordinances' like smoke detector mandates etch.

And you can build dams that can change water levels next to rivers......

And citizens don't magically appear and disappear. They have persistent homes and jobs.

And you have to make sure there are sufficient cemeteries for when citizens die.

And you can edit and designs parkwith props.

And roundabouts.

Its like someone took the good parts of SimCity 4, Cities XL, SimCity 2013 and cities in motion, and made an potentially awesome game with it.
and preordered

Phinor

Hmm might get this but think I am gonna wait for it to come out before I open my wallet especially after SimCity and XL.

That might be one of their biggest challenges with selling this game, people already bought multiple City sims these past few years and got burned. Also the obvious confusion with Cities titles etc. Word of mouth will have to do it's job assuming the game is good.

The more I see (and they are finally showing the game and I've heard press/Youtubers have access too so plenty more coming soon), the more I like it. Not revolutionary, just a city builder that actually seems to work properly. It'll be interesting to see how well huge cities run on modern systems and if it scales well with hardware.

Nokterian

I pre ordered it on GMG with 20% off because this game looks marvelous like this is what Simcity should have been. People getting confused this is published by paradox and made by Colossal Order.

RS4-

I pre ordered it on GMG with 20% off because this game looks marvelous like this is what Simcity should have been. People getting confused this is published by paradox and made by Colossal Order.

Man, I really want to get it, but I'm going to wait for impressions. It looks great but...so did Simcity and we all know how that turned out.

Nokterian

Man, I really want to get it, but I'm going to wait for impressions. It looks great but...so did Simcity and we all know how that turned out.

This is no online shit also look a page back a 35 min video is there it looks good not only that it runs good.

fader

SimCity 2013 map size. 2km squared.

Skylines map, size. 36km squared.

Whether 36km2 is bigger or smaller than other games in history or not, I'm just happy as hell to have 48x more space than I got in SC2013.

Oh and you can make bus lines that buses will actually stick to. YOU HEAR THAT MAXIS???? NOT BUSES THAT TRAVEL RANDOMLY CORNER TOMCORNER ON THE MAP TO PICK UP ONE GUY, ACTUAL BUS LINES..

And you can highlight an area, give it a name and set certain rules. For instance you highlight an industrial zone, call it "Farmington" and set policies that only allow agricultural industries to operate there. You can also use this district highlighting tool to locally set 'ordinances' like smoke detector mandates etch.

And you can build dams that can change water levels next to rivers......

And citizens don't magically appear and disappear. They have persistent homes and jobs.

And you have to make sure there are sufficient cemeteries for when citizens die.

And you can edit and designs parkwith props.

And roundabouts.

Its like someone took the good parts of SimCity 4, Cities XL, SimCity 2013 and cities in motion, and made an potentially awesome game with it.

cities skylines does what simcitydont

how are they able to do all this under a $30 price tag?

krpiper

Will this game be "laptop" friendly? (540m, i7 2.0ghz, 8GB DDr3) It looks amazing, if not then I know what game I am buying when I make a desktop!

Also I am not a prude or anything but the language in the video bothers me, its a city builder for goodness sake!

asmudge

Banned
This is a standalone game with no relation to SimCity or the Cities franchises.

Currently, there are not, but they're looking to include them in the future.

They did an AMA on Reddit about five months ago which should be able to answer a lot of random questions anyone may have.

Ohhh ok. Thought this was a sim city expansion. Even better then.

Saganator

Only having 13 people working on it helps keep the budget down.

And not a bloated marketing budget.

I'm SO pleased to see this game, I really hope it doesn't suck and sells well. I've been an avid SimCity fan since the original blew my mind as a little kid, so SC 2013 was like a dagger to my gamer heart. The only thing I liked from SC13 was the general aesthetic, which Paradox did a nice job of lifting. Normally, ripping off another game's look and feel is pretty trashy, IMO, but I kinda feel like Paradox fired some shots at Maxis, and I'd love to see Maxis respond with a decent AAA city building game.

Nokterian

Only having 13 people working on it helps keep the budget down.

13 people? Amazing that they blew out Maxis like this. I am glad i have pre ordered it really it looks so clean and crisp but also tranquility can't wait to play this.

And not a bloated marketing budget.

I'm SO pleased to see this game, I really hope it doesn't suck and sells well. I've been an avid SimCity fan since the original blew my mind as a little kid, so SC 2013 was like a dagger to my gamer heart. The only thing I liked from SC13 was the general aesthetic, which Paradox did a nice job of lifting. Normally, ripping off another game's look and feel is pretty trashy, IMO, but I kinda feel like Paradox fired some shots at Maxis, and I'd love to see Maxis respond with a decent AAA city building game.

Paradox is the publisher Colossal Order is the dev :)

From the video I saw, it already had a highway running through the map at the start. Is this a standard feature of all the maps? Optional?

You can select different starting maps. I assume there is one that's a blank slate.

I wonder if you can edit that highway once you expand your city though

Giever

I am eagerly anticipating this game ever since I learned about it yesterday.

It's too bad about the name though. There likely will be a lot of confusion from people thinking it's under the Cities XL banner. Perhaps just 'Skylines' would have been better, or something else altogether, though I suppose it's late in the process to change anything like that, since it's already essentially being marketed as "Cities: Skylines".

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I hope that the game or mods will have random events

Riots, severe weather, major crime scenarios.

Managing homeless, low income housing... Severe weather forcing emergency city management.... Snow removal, water pumping, repairing downed wires

Then use of events to cheer your city up and create traditions, increasing allure of the city but pushing down affordability causing economic gaps

Allowing different economic systems... Management of tolls, taxes (parking rates, transit rates, property tax)

maybe even some regulation management which could accelerate growth at cost of quality or snub growth but limit future damage (fires, building collapse, allure)

I want to micromanage the shit out of the local economy

I hope that the game or mods will have random events

Riots, severe weather, major crime scenarios.

Managing homeless, low income housing... Severe weather forcing emergency city management.... Snow removal, water pumping, repairing downed wires

Then use of events to cheer your city up and create traditions, increasing allure of the city but pushing down affordability causing economic gaps

Allowing different economic systems... Management of tolls, taxes (parking rates, transit rates, property tax)

maybe even some regulation management which could accelerate growth at cost of quality or snub growth but limit future damage (fires, building collapse, allure)

I want to micromanage the shit out of the local economy

I agree man! At this point, we shouldnt be looking at games that duplicate what was done years ago, but that improves the computing/managing aspects ten fold!

Seems a lot of this game treads on old ground, but I am okay with it because it's a good start. I pray that the game is good and successful enough to really push for the micromanaging to go to the next level.

Let me deal with religion, riots, poverty, immigration, weather preparation (snow removal sounds awesome!), academics, societal progression even (smarter city= more progress, less educated city= more violent/regressive).

I want to deal with all of that.

Would be nice if there was a social aspect to "connect" cities with other cities by other players, and even trade/create actual cyber countries/states.

The genre should have been there by now if EA didn't shit all over it.

The Llama

Really hoping this will be better than SimCity 4. In my mind, that (with mods/new buildings) is still the best city sim out by far.

This is from the Cities in Motion developer right? How were those games received?

Personally, I loved Cities in Motion 1, even though it brought my computer to its knees with its single-digit framerates. After years of SimCity games where you just dumped a bunch of bus stops all over the city and hoped for the best, it was heaven to have a game that actually asked you to plan transit routes, lay out stops in an intelligent pattern, and provision vehicles to meet demand. I played a whole bunch of CIM1.

I never got to spend as much time with the sequel--it felt buggier out of the gate and the interface was a lot hairier than the first game, with an explosion of windows every time you tried to do anything remotely complicated. But at the same time, it allowed you to build roads (something the first game didn't allow), the allowable city size was enormous, and the graphics engine was a major improvement while somehow also being faster to boot. What eventually killed my interest was the interface not really allowing me to understand why I wasn't accomplishing certain missions (again, maybe a bug), and also the fact that eventually you need metros to really succeed in the game, and metros cost tons of money so you just build one station at a time and hope you can make enough money quickly to extend the line every couple of years by one stop.

All that said, I have faith in Colossal Order. Despite all the quirks, Cities in Motion is one of my favourite franchises, and I'm really hopeful that they'll knock it out of the park with Skylines. These people deserve tons of success, assuming they can pull off the dream of "more SimCity than SimCity 2013."

dejay

Banned
Fuck it, pre-ordered. $30 is a good price and I'm happy to support their ambition and their willingness to fill a gaping hole that was left in my soul from Sham Shitty 2013.

Okay, that was a little melodramatic, but they got my money.

Pandemic

Fuck it, pre-ordered. $30 is a good price and I'm happy to support their ambition and their willingness to fill a gaping hole that was left in my soul from Sham Shitty 2013.

Okay, that was a little melodramatic, but they got my money.

Hahahahahahah.

Was going to wait till release for reviews, but went against that and pre-ordered. After having played Cities in Motion 1 & 2, I have some faith that it'll turn out to be good.

senahorse

Read thread, watched videos, both my gf and I pre-ordered, just after I said I would stop buying games before they released haha

Seanspeed

Banned
Just pre-ordered as well. The price of the game is great already and GMG had a 20% off code, so yea, for £18 it was too good to pass up.

Really looking forward to this.

Calmine

KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND

Today is the last day for the code. GMG usually has some sort of discount code going on, so its quite possible there'll be another one before the game is released, but there's no guarantee.

Was reading this thread for the past couple days and I'm convinced. Thank you for posting the GMG code. I didn't realise it the game is only £18 after discount. That's great. Here's hoping it is what Sim City was supposed to be.

GeoGonzo

Hmm... this does look like it should end up being okay. Wishlisted, will wait for reviews even if it means paying a bit more.

Top Bottom