• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

BTM

Man, this looks really good. I completely skipped out of the new Sim City but have been waiting a long time for a new city building game.

Bacs

Neo Member
I've been interested in this game for a few months now. It looks great; however, I'm going to go into it with some caution. After SimCity '13, which I avoided, much like many EA titles now, I'm pretty reserved about my purchases nowadays. But a lot of other factors (mainly money and time) also factor into that.

Isomac

I like how the game has noise pollution. Also since the game map looks quite large, I want to create one map with 2 or more smaller cities. I hope this delivers, I have waited this game quite long time.

cHinzo

This looks interesting. Even though SimCity had crappy server problems and other game problems, like the horrible traffic AI, small map and less options than its predecessor, it was still an enjoyable game for a while (if u could log in). This game looks like it took the interface and given us more options to build our city.

Lack of multiplayer is disappointing though, that was one thing SimCity did kinda alright. Build cities with ur friends. I'm still cautious about the traffic AI though and the lack of day and night cycle. Prolly not gonna pre-order, but I keep my eyes on this game and wait for the reviews and for the people to stress test the traffic of big cities. It's very promising nonetheless.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently if you preordered the game through Steam, you can view the Steam Workshop page for this game. And there's stuff in it.

Nokterian

Quill18 had a chance to take a look at the game at PDXCON and uploaded the video in his channel.

Sweet jezus that looks amazing!

This looks interesting. Even though SimCity had crappy server problems and other game problems, like the horrible traffic AI, small map and less options than its predecessor, it was still an enjoyable game for a while (if u could log in). This game looks like it took the interface and given us more options to build our city.

Lack of multiplayer is disappointing though, that was one thing SimCity did kinda alright. Build cities with ur friends. I'm still cautious about the traffic AI though and the lack of day and night cycle. Prolly not gonna pre-order, but I keep my eyes on this game and wait for the reviews and for the people to stress test the traffic of big cities. It's very promising nonetheless.

I never cared about multiplayer in a sim game like before with Simcity 2000 or 3000 or even 4 didn't have it.

Quill18 had a chance to take a look at the game at PDXCON and uploaded the video in his channel.

Hngggg.

Can we get a comparison to Sim City max size?

If this is accurate:

SC4

2452368-sim+city+4.jpg

SimCity 2013
1.5+Million.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Skylines looking good going by that video

Hngggg.

If this is accurate:

SC4

2452368-sim+city+4.jpg

SimCity 2013
1.5+Million.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not all that accurate. The SC4 screenshot is of an entire REGION, not a single city. SC4 had multiple city sizes, which you can see outlined as faint white squares on the region map; the largest squares represent the largest single-city size available. Still much, much larger than SC2013, but not the orders of magnitude implied by the region view screenshot.

Couple of things from the link above:

-screen tearing looks really bad
-Cars seem to pop out of existence at certain points in the road. I am guessing this is just because if you are zoomed out too much, the game wont simulate the entire city, as that would probably kill your PC

They followed one citizen who seemed to walk a long way to the bus to go to work. Thing is, since the days are simulated into seconds (seems like 1 day= 10 seconds), the real time movement of the citizens doesn't matter at the microscopic level

I guess that's fine if the overall game can still track and manage things like traffic and efficiency

GeoGonzo

I wonder how people at Maxis feel about this game: Years making their glasssomething engine, and then a bunch of people completely surpass their efforts... using the Unity engine.

Nokterian

Couple of things from the link above:

-screen tearing looks really bad
-Cars seem to pop out of existence at certain points in the road. I am guessing this is just because if you are zoomed out too much, the game wont simulate the entire city, as that would probably kill your PC

They followed one citizen who seemed to walk a long way to the bus to go to work. Thing is, since the days are simulated into seconds (seems like 1 day= 10 seconds), the real time movement of the citizens doesn't matter at the microscopic level

I guess that's fine if the overall game can still track and manage things like traffic and efficiency

Remember this wasn't final code at all still a lot of polish to do like they said on the video.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hngggg.

Largest playable city size (not entire region) is SimCity4 is a 4km x 4km box.

Largest playable city size in SimCity2013 is a 2km x 2km box

Largest playable city size in Cities Skylines is the equivalent of nine 2km x 2km boxes, with the ability of modders to increase the size even further.

Cities Skylines wins. By a lot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder how people at Maxis feel about this game: Years making their glasssomething engine, and then a bunch of people completely surpass their efforts... using the Unity engine.

Some of them post on this forum, but I didn't want to appear insensitive by asking too many questions.

Seanspeed

Banned
Some of them post on this forum, but I didn't want to appear insensitive by asking too many questions.
I doubt most people who work on these games are the least bit to blame for some of general design or management decisions that often ruin games. I'm sure they're just as disappointed with the state of affairs at times, if not more so due to personal investment. Not that they're allowed to express that publically, of course.

Hngggg.

If this is accurate:

SC4

2452368-sim+city+4.jpg

SimCity 2013
1.5+Million.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

You could... technically... get bigger than that in 2013 with the expansion. Megatowers, yo.

Which reminds me, I hope we get some weird stuff with this, either at launch or with mods. The near future crap was a lot of fun.

dejay

Banned
I don't really regret buying SC13 - even though I hit the wall, I still got dozens of hours of entertainment from it.

Skyline seems to be a deeper, better simulation with a lot more size available, which is why I'm looking forward to it.

dejay

Banned
Wow, this looks awesome...what's the catch?! I'd preorder it immediately but I'm still feeling the burn of sim city!

Don't preorder if you have doubts. For the low asking price, I've seen enough to know that I'll put in at least 15 hours into it. Less than $2 an hour makes sense to me.

Urge to pre-order rising, dangerously fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjAyOLttHE

It sure does sound good, let's hope it is.

i dont think my hype can get any higher. this looks like everything i've wanted.

The size of the cities and the traffic make the cities feel much more alive than the newest sim city especially in quill's video, but i'm gonna chalk that up to the size of the cities

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I doubt most people who work on these games are the least bit to blame for some of general design or management decisions that often ruin games. I'm sure they're just as disappointed with the state of affairs at times, if not more so due to personal investment. Not that they're allowed to express that publically, of course.
I blame the upper management mostly as well. I remember a promo video a long time ago where Ocean Quigley was talking about the meeting he had with Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw, and that one of the requirements for her greenlighting SimCity2013 was "no spreadsheets", i.e. getting rid of the more technical simulation aspects of the previous titles.

Dumb move, obviously.

Whoever else was responsible for always online, single core, too many agents, lack of simulation, and the various other bad design decisions led us to the product we have now.

There are flashes of brilliance in SimCity 2013, and I've played it a helluva lot, but the overall package is lacking, and it's a damn shame.

You could... technically... get bigger than that in 2013 with the expansion. Megatowers, yo.

Megatowers didn't increase the actual map size.

Jedi2016

I won't be pre-ordering, but it's definitely on my watch list. If user reviews are good, then I'll pick it up in short order.

Smash88

Banned
At this point any simcity-esque builder is better than the turd that is Simcity 2013.

What a shame the leading franchise in sim building went backwards and not forwards.

Lamptramp

There are flashes of brilliance in SimCity 2013, and I've played it a helluva lot, but the overall package is lacking, and it's a damn shame.

could not say it better myself.

Looking forward to this though, I do have some faith in the Dev but I'm going to hold off til I've seen some more in depth feedback.

Excited by what I've seen though :)

trinest

KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND

Today is the last day for the code. GMG usually has some sort of discount code going on, so its quite possible there'll be another one before the game is released, but there's no guarantee.

The voucher you have applied cannot be used in conjunction with GMG Credit.
If you would prefer to use GMG Credit, please remove the vouchers.

What is this crap, I haven't used GMG for ages and this is what they pull now?

Nokterian

Which reminds me, I hope we get some weird stuff with this, either at launch or with mods. The near future crap was a lot of fun.

Look at my post above it shows the sizes of cities skylines it's bigger then Simcity 4.

RS4-

The voucher you have applied cannot be used in conjunction with GMG Credit.
If you would prefer to use GMG Credit, please remove the vouchers.

What is this crap, I haven't used GMG for ages and this is what they pull now?

It's been like that from the start or close to it when they had credits. You couldn't combine credit rewards with discount codes.

DarkJC

I liked Cities in Motion, but I bought Cities in Motion 2 and was kind of let down. They vastly increased the complexity of Cities in Motion 2 and the UI was kind of confusing and the level of micromanagement of individual lines and routes was too hardcore for my tastes.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Skylines but I'm going to reserve judgement until the game is actually out.

Ruruja

Bought SimCity and put a decent amount of hours into it, but even so, the disappointment of it is making me wait for this to see if it meets the hype - looks great and I hope it does.

RS4-

Ok fuck it, going to just grab it off GMG right now. I'll just hate myself if the game turns out to be a broken mess.

(why can't sites offer refunds like EA).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ok fuck it, going to just grab it off GMG right now. I'll just hate myself if the game turns out to be a broken mess.

(why can't sites offer refunds like EA).

Colossal Order supported their Cities in Motion games pretty well, if there are any issues I'd expect them to react appropriately.

Damaniel

Banned
Another recorded stream from the Paradox convention, this one from quill18. 40+ minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1D_VUzHpg

I don't have my headphones hooked up, but does your town have a (fake) Twitter account? It looks like somebody was complaining about the lack of greenery (with hashtags and all). That's an interesting way to get feedback on the quality of your city.

I just pre-ordered this. Even if it's only half as good as the videos make it look, it's still worth the $24 I paid for it.

Giever

I pre-ordered from GMG. I so rarely pre-order games, too. D:

I hope there's an option to put that twitter bird someplace other than the top center of the screen. Would rather just have it be a pop-up somewhere on the regular UI bar down at the bottom.

Top Bottom