• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

OneUh8

I really want to get this game but my rig prolly wont be able to handle it once the cities get bigger.

ugh :(

I am in the same boat. I use my laptop for light PC gaming. I got rid of my desktop rig to my brother when the PS4 and Xbone came out. While I do most of my gaming on console these days, I do now wish I kept my rig for a game like this.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
According to Quilll18 in this video, reviewer and press copies have already been sent out, and the embargo on lets plays & streams lifts on the morning of March 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJLMnpQAqE

So we should start seeing all kinds of gameplay videos in a few days!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
According to Quilll18 in this video, reviewer and press copies have already been sent out, and the embargo on lets plays & streams lifts on the morning of March 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJLMnpQAqE

So we should start seeing all kinds of gameplay videos in a few days!

That's encouraging, they are obviously not very concerned about backlash.
That's 7 days before release.

If after several days there aren't any apparent bugs or performance issues uncovered in the review videos/streams. I'm breaking my no-pre-order again. :( Last time was MH4U but there were already a million impressions of the Japanese versions anyway and they were all great.

Mengy

This gameplay video from Sips is really nice. Unfortunately watching it just makes me want to play this damn game that much more. Everything looks so great, I really like how they implemented the city expansion mechanic, and I really like how you can expand your 9 tiles in many directions. The more I see of that the more I really like it, I think I'm going to miss region play from SC4 lot less than I thought I was because of this mechanic. We are going to be able to make some impressive and beautiful cities with this game.

It truly looks like (so far) that CO has crafted a great city builder. I'm almost in disbelief, like it can't be this good. There has to be something wrong with it. We aren't allowed to get a great city builder, it's been like a law or something for too long now...

devonodev

I want to believe. I had given up on a good modern city builder.

I will wait until more impressions are out, I've learned my lesson with Cities XL and SC2013.

Mengy

If after several days there aren't any apparent bugs or performance issues uncovered in the review videos/streams. I'm breaking my no-pre-order again. :( Last time was MH4U but there were already a million impressions of the Japanese versions anyway and they were all great.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering it, too.

I'm still going to hold fast until a few days after the 10th. I've got plenty of other games to keep me busy, and after Simcity 5 and Cites XXL I really just want to be extra sure before buying another "hopeful" replacement to my beloved Simcity 4.

That said, I'm fucking as giddy with anticipation as a 5 year old on Christmas Eve right now.

Darklord

Banned

It's not bugs or performance issues that ruined Sim City. It was the broken bullshit under the hood that was slowly discovered the more people played. The completely broken AI, the skewed numbers, the shitty servers, this stuff came out after it launched.

I won't be touching this for a week or so after release when you REALLY know if it's worth buying.

Pinktaco

This gameplay video from Sips is really nice. Unfortunately watching it just makes me want to play this damn game that much more. Everything looks so great, I really like how they implemented the city expansion mechanic, and I really like how you can expand your 9 tiles in many directions. The more I see of that the more I really like it, I think I'm going to miss region play from SC4 lot less than I thought I was because of this mechanic. We are going to be able to make some impressive and beautiful cities with this game.

It truly looks like (so far) that CO has crafted a great city builder. I'm almost in disbelief, like it can't be this good. There has to be something wrong with it. We aren't allowed to get a great city builder, it's been like a law or something for too long now...

I had No interest in this game. You Just sold the game to me with that video haha. Honest as fuck, if you had No clue you'd think this to be the next installment in the simcity franchise. It's basically a much more refined and improved Simcity (the latest one) which is great.

Now will there be any multiplayer in this?

I want to believe. I had given up on a good modern city builder.

I will wait until more impressions are out, I've learned my lesson with Cities XL and SC2013.

I'm more excited than ever for modern city builders. This one looks to be a return to form, but the next gen ones taking advantage of low-level APIs will be fucking nuts.

My inner grid enthusiast is weeping at his road design.

It actually hurts.

Already pre-ordered, but curious how in-depth the economic/budget/tax management is. Pretty much like Sim City? I liked that part of Sim City, so it'd be cool if it was more in-depth with this game.

Mengy

It actually hurts.

Yeah, me too! He has that one way running down the middle of main street, and his entire industrial sector is off of a one way with the only turnaround being the highway interchange. I kept wanting him to fix things too!

how in-depth the economic/budget/tax management is. Pretty much like Sim City? I liked that part of Sim City, so it'd be cool if it was more in-depth with this game.

It seems similar to SC4 but with a better UI, The only thing I'm not sure about yet are graphs. Does Skylines have graphs for data over time? Not sure. Lots of pie charts though showing distribution of stuff, which is nice.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It actually hurts.

2Xt11n5.jpg

I want to see cities with ridiculous looking road/rail grids that are still effective.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone heard anything about a demo? Very interested in this, but I need to know how it would run on my system before I purchase it.

GeoGonzo

Rösti;154162430 said:
Has anyone heard anything about a demo? Very interested in this, but I need to know how it would run on my system before I purchase it.
Well, a demo probably wouldn't be very helpful for that: it is likely to run extremely well when you're just getting started. Your best bet is to wait for reviews, I think.

Sober

I think the embargo for LPs breaks this week? I would wait for those and see how people reach higher population numbers/tiles works out. Mostly we just had people doing like really early game stuff with 2-3 tiles and any late game footage is just been a loaded save.

fader

I think the embargo for LPs breaks this week? I would wait for those and see how people reach higher population numbers/tiles works out. Mostly we just had people doing like really early game stuff with 2-3 tiles and any late game footage is just been a loaded save.

it breaks on Thursday/ March 5th

DEO3

Rösti;154162430 said:

I remember the developers saying they don't have the resources to put together a demo, the company is only eleven people I believe.

Any new vids?

I would also like to know more about stats, numbers, charts, financial. If it's exactly like Sim City, that's nice and all, but I'm hoping there is more to it with districts and all that.

I am also hoping we see good expansions soon, especially in the way of challenges and problems to a sustaining city:

-maintenance
-pollution
-weather: snowstorms (salt/hiring snow removal), rainstorms, hurricanes even...
-general natural disasters

These are also just the basics of a city builder. One day we'll have an advanced city builder:

-imagine having to deal with citizens' immigration, religion, ethnic diversity and in-fighting-- something to make the citizens feel alive...

I feel like Sim City should have been here by now, and I know these sort of features are more likely for sequels, so I hope this game is successful enough to warrant the ultimate sim city game.

One thing I haven't see anywhere, can we choose architetural styles like simcity used to have?

Yup. Game launches with Tropical, Sunny, and Northern themes, with more to come. European will be a free download, and presumably the modding community will be quick to add in others (also, the devs are following the CK2 DLC model, so expect stuff from them as well). I'm hoping for a Near Future, a Cyberpunk, and something historical :)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I remember the developers saying they don't have the resources to put together a demo, the company is only eleven people I believe.
I see. Ah well, I can't buy it at release anyway.

GeoGonzo

Yup. Game launches with Tropical, Sunny, and Northern themes, with more to come. European will be a free download, and presumably the modding community will be quick to add in others (also, the devs are following the CK2 DLC model, so expect stuff from them as well). I'm hoping for a Near Future, a Cyberpunk, and something historical :)
I don't think Tropical/Sunny/Northern themes do anything other than change landscape, vegetation and lightning, right? But yes, more building variery will eventually come through DLC and mods.

Martian

No, they change building styles too.

Northern

Sunny

Tropical

Sunny all the way bros!
Miami/Los Angeles/Havana-city here I come. Although I am also interested in how the European style will look and if it will have older buildings

No, they change building styles too.

Northern

Sunny

Tropical

That reminds me, do we have any shots of a more developed northern city? I'm leaning Sunny for my first, but that's mostly because the what I've seen of Northern gives me flashbacks to growing up in a town in the Pacific Northwest where no building was legally allowed to be more than 3 stories tall :p

Top Bottom