• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

He ran out of graveyard and crematorium capacities, so all those dead bodies kept piling up in the buildings. That in turn made people want to leave because the smell was too bad. It took a while to solve it though, cause all the hearses got jammed up in traffic.

It all kinda works pretty logically.

Megasoum

Banned
Ughhhh... I need to stop watching the stream, this game is looking too good.

I don't want to spend close to 30$ on a game again... I need to slow down my addiction lol.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm at work so I can't watch anything right now, but from reading this thread it sounds like Quill's city:

1. has horrible road layouts and huge traffic issues
2. didn't have cemetaries so dead people were everywhere
3. so he built crematoriums and cemeteries but the traffic problems prevented them from working, which made the problem worse
4. so he made lots of trains to alleviate the traffic but that just resulted in train gridlock!

It reads like a Stephen King horror novel, LOL!

I'm not watching the stream as I don't wana spoil the mid-lategame things in the cities for myself (the early game stuff seems good to watch as a tutorial though, I'm not good at city building games)

But holy shit on the northernlion youtube video there's mention of a space elevator:D I wonder what it looks like

I hope there's optional natural disasters or alien invasions etc like in the old sim city games too to test your city with once you finish building it.

Roads are the only thing that intimidate me about this game, the quill guy even in the 3 part youtube video had shitty roads, I'm going to need a tutorial on the basics when I get the game

This game desperately needs mixed use zoning. You can't make properly do transit oriented development without mixed use zoning. I guess I'll just have to manually do it, but it's not ideal.

Tugatrix

I'm at work so I can't watch anything right now, but from reading this thread it sounds like Quill's city:

3. so he built crematoriums and cemeteries but the traffic problems prevented them from working, which made the problem worse
4. so he made lots of trains to alleviate the traffic but that just resulted in train gridlock!

indeed, the guy has serious inssues on traffic planing

Posters are giving him a lot of shit but he has 1M in the bank with positive revenue. Also some of the other streamers have been restarting their cities because they keep going bankrupt.

But yes, 1-4 are accurate with the train gridlock being the most hilarious to me

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game desperately needs mixed use zoning. You can't make properly do transit oriented development without mixed use zoning. I guess I'll just have to manually do it, but it's not ideal.

In SimCity2013, it's just a matter of zoning some commericial mixed in with your residential. It worked out okay.

Prologue

I'm not watching the stream as I don't wana spoil the mid-lategame things in the cities for myself (the early game stuff seems good to watch as a tutorial though, I'm not good at city building games)

But holy shit on the northernlion youtube video there's mention of a space elevator:D I wonder what it looks like

I hope there's optional natural disasters or alien invasions etc like in the old sim city games too to test your city with once you finish building it.

Roads are the only thing that intimidate me about this game, the quill guy even in the 3 part youtube video had shitty roads, I'm going to need a tutorial on the basics when I get the game

no disasters yet :(

wit3tyg3r

There was a dev on Quill's stream earlier and she said they'll make a night/day cycle if enough fans want it.

Yeah, I was watching the stream when Mariina and Quill talked about it. I still think it would be cool to have a toggle or switch so we can pick the time of day for screenshots and overall aesthetics.

Grief.exe

Even watching the first video I had a feeling his basic design would not end well. He was unintentionally bottlenecking his entire population on top of the bottleneck being extremely inefficient.

In my opinion, it would be the best course of action to continue the massive one-way roads leading from the initial interchange. Then attach large roads horizonatlly to connect the other parts of your city. Continue building the large roads leading off the highway as your city expands.

Hopefully this makes sense:
Code:
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l
 __l____l_______l_____l___

l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l

l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder if the giant headache of forcing myself to make SImCity's awful transit design work will make Cities Skylines look like a cakewalk in comparison.

You can't conflate your arteries with your capillaries. Shit will go wrong.

Mengy

At least, unlike SimCity, they are of his own design!

Yeah, no kidding. The buses and garbage trucks just doing laps up and down main street in Simcity 2013 was infuriating. And the sims who would only go one route period, even while 75% of the city's road were empty. And the electricity and poop which also got gridlocked in the same way that traffic did. I was so happy to go back to SC4 after that fiasco.

CSL appears to have none of those issues, or at least they are not as prominent as SC5's were even during those one hour beta test sessions. Although the train gridlock sounds worrisome, but I need to see the video to see how it happens. Maybe there is a good reason for it, lol.

Even watching the first video I had a feeling his basic design would not end well. He was unintentionally bottlenecking his entire population on top of the bottleneck being extremely inefficient.

In my opinion, it would be the best course of action to continue the massive one-way roads leading from the initial interchange. Then attach large roads horizonatlly to connect the other parts of your city. Continue the large roads leading off of your highway as your city expands.

Hopefully this makes sense:
Code:
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l

l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l

l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l
    l   l       l    l

That's actually how I built all my SimCity cities; extend the starting avenue as far as I needed to to serve as the main thoroughfare, and build out from there.

Bacon

Really like how they are handling power and water in this game. There is still some nuance to it without being totally tedious.

Giever

Damn, I'm really looking forward to this game, but I get the feeling I'll be terrible at traffic management. I don't even really see what Quill is doing wrong for the most part and everyone is acting like he's blatantly doing idiotic shit. >.>

I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go along.

I don't think I got a response from this so I'll post it again. How would my 2011 Macbook Pro do with this game?

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Prologue

I don't think I got a response from this so I'll post it again. How would my 2011 Macbook Pro do with this game?

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

cpu and memory is fine. The min specs was a core 2 duo, which was 10 years ago lol.

I'll let someone more experience judge the GPU. I have a 2011 too and going to give it a whirl. I mean, we're not going to run it 1080p at 60fps at max settings. But I'd think we should be okay at at a resolution one or two steps below and getting 30 fps decently.

Tugatrix

WTF is he doing? lol

Quill:

xVyoSl.jpg

Mengy

Damn, I'm really looking forward to this game, but I get the feeling I'll be terrible at traffic management. I don't even really see what Quill is doing wrong for the most part and everyone is acting like he's blatantly doing idiotic shit. >.>

That's all of the fun in a nutshell right there, "figure it out as I go along". Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have some of my early Simcity 4 cities that were horrible failures, just inefficient gridlocked messes of cities. I often find myself replacing roads with avenues and whatnot which requires destroying (improving?) things along the way.

I'm sure my first couple cities in CSL will be less than spectacular as I figure it out, although over a decade of SC4 gaming has certainly educated me somewhat on city and traffic design. I'll most likely start out making a small town and just try my best to gingerly grow it into a metropolis from there. All of my best SC4 cities started out that way.

Phinor

I love how everyone's a critic :) I enjoy quill's stream a lot. Complete mess of things with fixes on top of fixes. Pretty much what I'll end up doing next week. This latest cloverleaf design is fantastic.

Rad-

Fuck efficiency is what I say. I'll be creating stuff like this. My cities are always about looks.

Top Bottom