• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Shaldome

Stuff like this....

uqpIVmR.jpg

And roads junctions dont seem to have any stop signs or right of way

Yes, he drew the upper street wrong. The arrows pointing left should actually be 180 degree ones the way he drew it. Also these look like highways, so no stop signs.

dejay

Banned
These streamers are killing me, one is singing bad karaoke and doing easy mode and one is wondering why his people next to landfills and windturbines are getting sick.

GRAAH, give me my game already so I don't have to rage behind the screen at others incompetence.

I've only been watching Skye's youtube vids so I don't burn out. He's reasonably competent but still does things that makes my eye twitch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Check out this one in Chicago, IL or this one in Oakland, California.

It's decided, I am creating this interchange from Chicago.

0rhpNSl.png
That one looks amazing. I might try my hand at replicating it myself when I start playing around. God I wish I could play around right now.

Yeah, when playing Euro Truck 2 there are always lots of roundabouts throughout the game. Here in the USA I only know of 2 that I've ever seen.
There are three of them in Flemington NJ alone. I hate them.

I can't stand it guys. I need a fix before the game launches or I'm going to burst.

Should I re install Sim City, or get Cities in motion 2, or maybe Cities XXL (haven't heard good thigns baout that one though)?
Either Sim City or try a different simulation type and get a cheap copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon off GOG to help hold you off.

I really wish they allowed you to build parks on sidewalks.
Ditto. You need to be able to build buildings off them too. At least certain kinds. There are plenty of real world places where you can find shops off the sides of sidewalks with trees and stuff along the center. Shopping centers. Would be really nice. They'd be limited to certain buildings, mainly smaller shops. Someone please tell the devs. Maybe we can get it in for the first patch.

I'm disappointed no streamer has tried to replicate the Magic Roundabout yet.

igjhdU5l.jpg
Why does this exist? How do you use it? I don't understand how this works at all.

Jimrpg

Ok I guess I'm going to repeat what a lot of other users have said already - I thought it was a sequel to XL!!! I was going to wait for a discount but it's cheap enough now to get I suppose.

Do you think my MacBook retina with i7 2.3ghz, 8gb ram, 1gb gt650m will run this?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why is this game a budget title? It looks pretty sophisticated based on the videos im watching. I mean im not complaining....This seems like a quick attempt at now becoming the defacto Sim City series now that EA has killed Maxis.

Kinthalis

Banned
Why is this game a budget title? It looks pretty sophisticated based on the videos im watching. I mean im not complaining....This seems like a quick attempt at now becoming the defacto Sim City series now that EA has killed Maxis.

I'm guessing the market for AAA games isn't' necessarily the market for Sim builders on PC.

Odds are at this price point they'll sell way more than twice the number of copies they woudl have at $60. And that means more money, more people playing their game, more word of mouth, which in turn brings in more customers.

If they had a 10 million dollar marketing campaign, then yeah, the higher price might work better. But they don't.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This makes it somewhat clearer (?), but it still looks like all sorts of accidents waiting to happen to me!
No. That doesn't make it any clearer at all. But then again I'm not British. So maybe it just doesn't come naturally to me. What's with the tiny ball bearing circles inbetween the two larger ones? And why does it need two different circles in the first place? Also, is that the roundabout the Griswolds got stuck in when they went on their European Vacation? "Look kids, it's Big Ben!"

Lettuce

Here's how it can be fixed. This is from my stream earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJ1KTb858c&t=5052
(should be around the 84 minute mark for the timestamp)

He did what I did and started at the wrong direction for the road creation. It's a simple enough fix once you realize how it was messed up in the first place.

Been nice if the game actual noticed this error and either stopped you from finishing the road or highlighted the road in red to bring your attention to it as i guess it could be missed. Not sure how the new Sim City handled this stuff?

SZips

Been nice if the game actual noticed this error and either stopped you from finishing the road or highlighted the road in red to bring your attention to it as i guess it could be missed. Not sure how the new Sim City handled this stuff?

It's actually kind of nice not having the game hold my hand all the time. Maybe a tooltip would be good (there may have actually been one earlier on that I simply missed). However, just the fact that it kind of allows you to do whatever you want, even if it's making mistakes like that, is actually quite refreshing.

dejay

Banned

I wouldn't say it's a quick attempt but it's from a small developer. The devs made Cities in Motion, so they're experts in traffic simulation, which is what was one of the weak points of SC2013. They started development just after finishing CiM2, which coincided with the release of SC2013, where they saw the response to that and the opportunities in the market. Probably the economic modelling of a city builder is easier to add to something with decent agent-based traffic modelling than the other way around, so it's probably a very natural fit for them.

They've narrowed the focus to people with at least mid-spec systems and left off a bunch of the market (casuals) who EA were targeting, which allows for bigger cities. They're also more consumer and mod friendly.

Isn't there a terminus symbol floating there? It would be annoying if you did it deliberately in order to create an intersection where the two one-ways met, but you kept getting a warning pop up.

Lettuce

No. That doesn't make it any clearer at all. But then again I'm not British. So maybe it just doesn't come naturally to me. What's with the tiny ball bearing circles inbetween the two larger ones? And why does it need two different circles in the first place? Also, is that the roundabout the Griswolds got stuck in when they went on their European Vacation? "Look kids, it's Big Ben!"

The idea behind it (and does actually work in practice, as i used to drive around that exact magic roundabout fairly often) is to get traffic on to the main roundabout in stages and constantly flowing without major accidents as each mini round about has its own junction to the next roundabout.

If it was one giant roundabout in the middle you would be waiting forever to get onto the aroundabout and the amount of lanes needed would be stupid, say for example you wanted the 5th exit (almost coming back on yourself) you would have to go on the inside lane around the roundabout and then cut across 4 or so lanes of traffic to get your 5th exit...an accident just waiting to happen.

This magic roundabout breaks up the process into stages (each mini roundabout) so making it much safer

Psykoboy2

It was me! Still can't believe it

Whew! Congrats! I'm really glad someone from GAF got it. The advantage you folks had was the ability to have those characters already in and didn't have to type them out. The only twist being that I couldn't post the last 4 characters otherwise process of elimination would have gotten a winner before the contest and making those two spots blank gave everyone, at least from GAF, a bit of equal footing.

Tangential question, I liked your show, do you guys offer episodes as podcasts? Would love to listen to you guys during the commute!

We do, indeed. Here's our GAF thread. It's lost a lot of steam over the year or so, and it'd be great if folks start posting there again about the show.

I think there are links there but if you go to our site, there's a link on the left that will take you to our spot on iTunes, or YouTube, or all the other places we exist online.

Thanks for the interest and thanks for watching the show tonight. I plan on streaming here in about an hour.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The idea behind it (and does actually work in practice, as i used to drive around that exact magic roundabout fairly often) is to get traffic on to the main roundabout in stages and constantly flowing without major accidents as each mini round about has its own junction to the next roundabout.

If it was one giant roundabout in the middle you would be waiting forever to get onto the aroundabout and the amount of lanes needed would be stupid, say for example you wanted the 5th exit (almost coming back on yourself) you would have to go on the inside lane around the roundabout and then cut across 4 or so lanes of traffic to get your 5th exit...an accident just waiting to happen.

This magic roundabout breaks up the process into stages (each mini roundabout) so making it much safer
I'd love to see a video of how this even works.

It's actually kind of nice not having the game hold my hand all the time. Maybe a tooltip would be good (there may have actually been one earlier on that I simply missed). However, just the fact that it kind of allows you to do whatever you want, even if it's making mistakes like that, is actually quite refreshing.
At least it does show an icon to tell you it is broken. I don't know how close you have to zoom before it becomes visible though.

Who would have published it at the AAA level?

Colossal Order already had a good relationship with Paradox through the Cities in Motion series and when development started on Skylines, CO was five people.

At least it does show an icon to tell you it is broken. I don't know how close you have to zoom before it becomes visible though.

I think the icons show on any zoom level, the seems to merge identical icons that are close to each other when you zoom out and vice versa.

Who would have published it at the AAA level?

Colossal Order already had a good relationship with Paradox through the Cities in Motion series and when development started on Skylines, CO was five people.

And now it's 12 or 13 people, let that sink in (not necessarily you of course).

Melon Husk

Why does this exist? How do you use it? I don't understand how this works at all.

It was built in a time when Albion still had magic. I have no idea how a pentaroundabout works with human reaction times.

SimCity is $20 on Origin, I don't see your point...?
;)

The real reason number 1. is that Paradox publishes a lot of DLC. I'm sure they've gained experience from their previous strategy titles and arrived at that retail price for a reason.
Number 2. is that Cities In Motion 2 sold for $20 at launch, so this company has a history of lower pricing. They've actually raised the price. It may be that while their scope might've been set as wide as Sim City 5's, devs at a smaller indie (?) studio don't take quite the same wage as they do at Maxis.

Shadow Yarmi

Neo Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUO6Ey70qI&feature=player_detailpage#t=351

This guy talks about how it's suppose to work and how similar magic roundabouts work.
If you watch the rest of the video he goes into deeper conversation about how American city blocks and intersections are already similar to roundabouts but with certain differences.

dejay

Banned
Guys, I can't even work a 4 way stop sign.

Not gonna lie, the first time I encountered a four way stop sign in the US I was confused as fuck. Where I'm from, the rules for such an intersection without a clear right of way would be to give-way to traffic from the left. It never occurred to me that anyone would implement a first come first serve intersection on purpose.

Obviously they work but roundabouts are far superior in terms of collision reductions, reduced speeds of collisions and improved traffic flow.

Jedi2016

Four-way stop signs, at least in my neck of the woods, are only used on VERY small intersections. A roundabout is way overkill for the small amount of traffic that goes through.

dejay

Banned
Four-way stop signs, at least in my neck of the woods, are only used on VERY small intersections. A roundabout is way overkill for the small amount of traffic that goes through.

This is true from my experience of them, although if the traffic level is very low, a 2-way stop would be better because at least some of the traffic doesn't have to stop. If the traffic volume is over say 10 cars per minute, a small roundabout would reduce the number of cars having to stop considerably and therefore reduce noise for residents.

Like I said, I've had very little driving experience in the US, but my limited experience of driving through maybe 100 four way stop intersections has left me with a very low opinion of them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Colossal Order is a small dev team, I think 13 people? They don't have the overhead nor the huge marketing budgets of AAA devs and games. They actually felt confident at making a profit at a $30 price for what it cost them to make the game. I'd wager it's going to sell much better than they forecast too, just a hunch of mine....

I came across my first roundabout in real life just the other week when I was driving around the suburbs for work.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...2!3m1!1s0x880fb0447ae71d6d:0xe95d217a6e46c8ba

I have long felt that the roundabout is a superior intersection and we should embrace them in America, but I am embarrassed to say my first attempt to use one had me immediately cutting another person off (complete with honking horns) and exiting at the wrong street.

I was caught off guard.

That one looks amazing. I might try my hand at replicating it myself when I start playing around. God I wish I could play around right now.

There are three of them in Flemington NJ alone. I hate them.

Either Sim City or try a different simulation type and get a cheap copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon off GOG to help hold you off.

Ditto. You need to be able to build buildings off them too. At least certain kinds. There are plenty of real world places where you can find shops off the sides of sidewalks with trees and stuff along the center. Shopping centers. Would be really nice. They'd be limited to certain buildings, mainly smaller shops. Someone please tell the devs. Maybe we can get it in for the first patch.

That last roundabout is amazingly easy to navigate. It's in my home town of Swindon.
You just treat it as a lot of individual roundabouts and your absolutely fine on it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
underwater cars... that is absolutely hilarious.

it's something they should fix but I kinda hope they don't

I think it's intended, it appears the citizens are not happy.
It just does not destroy the buildings, whether the modding engine will support that functionality will be interesting.

I don't know of any game that actually takes water flow into account quite this well.

Been many years since I've been this excited about a game release.

Tabris

Anyone streaming this from a Mac? I wanna know how it performs on that. I have a standard iMac retina 5k configuration. So it meets recommended requirements, but you never know how well they translated the coding or if they are needing to use any emulation / front-end?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That last roundabout is amazingly easy to navigate. It's in my home town of Swindon.
You just treat it as a lot of individual roundabouts and your absolutely fine on it.
I don't even like dealing with one roundabout. I don't know how I'd deal with 7 of them. I'd just find alternate routes to work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You mentioned Flemington, you in NJ? I wouldn't trust other NJ to learn to navigate a roundabout but they are pretty good when people know how to drive them properly.
Those rou-- er "circles" are nothing compared to what I've seen above. The main one is easy to navigate if you're going a specific way. It's literally straight if you're just staying on 202, and if you're trying to go north from 202 it's not hard either because both ways there's no stopping. I only hate it when I need to stop at the Yield signs and wait and am staying on the outside of the circle. God forbid I ever need to switch to the inside lane. The worst part is there aren't even any lines separating the lanes so it's every man for himself.

Thankfully I don't live anywhere near Flemington and I've only ever seen a circle once anywhere else.

That said, as long as I'm going in one direction and am staying on the outside, I can navigate it fine. But add extra lanes and I'll just stay home. lol

I find them interesting and will definitely experiment with them in my cities. The only problem is roundabouts are supposed to be constantly moving, but it seems traffic in the game will stop at each intersection because you can't take away stops or add and change them in the game. I'd love to see how it worked in game if you could remove stopping from certain directions.

dejay

Banned
Those rou-- er "circles" are nothing compared to what I've seen above. The main one is easy to navigate if you're going a specific way. It's literally straight if you're just staying on 202, and if you're trying to go north from 202 it's not hard either because both ways there's no stopping. I only hate it when I need to stop at the Yield signs and wait and am staying on the outside of the circle. God forbid I ever need to switch to the inside lane. The worst part is there aren't even any lines separating the lanes so it's every man for himself.

Thankfully I don't live anywhere near Flemington and I've only ever seen a circle once anywhere else.

That said, as long as I'm going in one direction and am staying on the outside, I can navigate it fine. But add extra lanes and I'll just stay home. lol

I find them interesting and will definitely experiment with them in my cities. The only problem is roundabouts are supposed to be constantly moving, but it seems traffic in the game will stop at each intersection because you can't take away stops or add and change them in the game. I'd love to see how it worked in game if you could remove stopping from certain directions.

In real life, I don't think that roundabouts with more than two lanes work terribly well.

In the game, roundabouts aren't really real, but you can make them with highway on-ramps I believe, although I may just be pulling that out of my ass.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel like people aren't using pedestrian paths as effectively as they could. In SimCity2013, they were really important for managing my traffic issues.

dejay

Banned
I feel like people aren't using pedestrian paths as effectively as they could. In SimCity2013, they were really important for managing my traffic issues.

I was watching the latest Skye episode and I don't think he realised that he could make elevated paths. He brute forced pedestrian crossings near his airport by putting in some gravel roads perpendicular to the main road, creating an intersection.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. So you can Page Up to make the road lift up and make a bridge, but can you also Page Down while at ground level to push the ground down slightly and make underpasses? I'd rather my overpasses, when they're for two roads that are at the same ground level, kind of go downward into the ground instead of up. I'd prefer it sort of average it out and push one road down slightly and the other up slightly but not up a full level. I think it looks really silly when the road just suddenly goes up to make a bridge then goes back down. Since I don't think you can modify the terrain after starting the game (Why did that die off with SimCity? I want to be able to modify the terrain) I fear you can't even do it manually. So having it do it automatically would be nice. I haven't seen during game terrain modification aside from the buildings flattening ground out when on slopes so thought it would be nice if forcing roads downward was a thing.

Also, tunnels. Will we get tunnels eventually? For all travel types. Road, sidewalk and train. Another thing that seems to have died out with SimCity.

Could mods add either of these features to the game?

Top Bottom