• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

cripterion

Creating a new town on Antartica (region called GAF test), it's a public server so feel free to join if you want.
Just trying out ideas, and advices I've got from this thread.

My interaction with Simcity 4 was limited but I could never get a big city going. Was it the same as SimCity where you have to make larger roads to get larger buildings?

I don't like the way SimCity handles roads, it feels like they dominate the landscape vs 4 and the zoning is inferior too. Maybe I just need to play more but I think 4 had the right idea.

Jockel

I opened a region called "Effington" on NA East 3.
You could change your name, grow a beard, start a family.
Start a new effing life- In Effington.

Jockel

Uh nope. Sorry. I could've sworn I saw a search function but you seem to be right.
I'll gladly add you and any GAFer to my game tho, you can add me on origin with "jockel0190"

I'm currently at 100k population in my town.

JWong

Banned
ugh, game itself is broken.
i've literally had one city 90% commercial, and the neighbours 90% residential, and the res city complains about no shopping.

GO NEXT DOOR YOU FUCKING CUNTS.

the sim is broken. plain and simple.

oh, both cities are medium to high wealth.

also, why just why do emergency services wait for traffic lights?
why are there no slip lanes for left/right turns?
why can't i change imperial to metric (not a game changer i know, but seriously, there's like 3 countries who still use imperial)

It doesn't work like that. There can be many factors on why the commercial city doesn't work. The best way is to have a few commercial zones sprinkled into the residential area.

Traffic, distance, etc., contribute to why your plan won't work.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Saw this posted over at Simtropolis:

evqYGbkh.jpg

Well that's one way to solve traffic problems, keep roads to an absolute minimum, and don't give the sims any choice of route at all!

sangreal

Saw this posted over at Simtropolis:

evqYGbkh.jpg

Well that's one way to solve traffic problems, keep roads to an absolute minimum, and don't give the sims any choice of route at all!

Looks like he still has traffic. This is basically how I fixed my streetcar problems though -- no intersections.

I'm surprised his emergency services aren't at the end of the line, since they refuse to cross the median they will go all the way to the end before turning around

I really wish that resources were infinite given the scale of the maps. I'm about to run out of crude oil and when I do my economy's fucked as it operates at -15k per hour whilst being propped up by 3 refineries devoted to creating and selling fuel.

sangreal

I really wish that resources were infinite given the scale of the maps. I'm about to run out of crude oil and when I do my economy's fucked as it operates at -15k per hour whilst being propped up by 3 refineries devoted to creating and selling fuel.

just import the oil at that point

although I agree. Also, I have no idea what the "months remaining" is supposed to mean since it doesnt match up with the game months and the last month seems to last a long longer

just import the oil at that point

I'm already trading through my trade port but deliveries don't come frequently enough. I have no idea why the cargo ship doesn't simply drop off the maximum amount of oil before picking up the fuel so I'm guessing I need to open up some depots as well.

although I agree. Also, I have no idea what the "months remaining" is supposed to mean since it doesnt match up with the game months and the last month seems to last a long longer

Yeah, that's definitely broken. My wells constantly read 2-1 months until an earthquake took one of them out. After rebuilding its production became a third of what it used to make.

StUnNeR H2K

I think the idea is to use the free resources to get started and on your feet, but eventually you have to start importing them to manufacture a product to sale. One of my cities finally ran out of Ore which I was using to make Metal. I also imported coal, since I had none as a resource, to make alloy. I was turning around a 2 million a month profit, but recently had to start importing ore also. I'm still turning a large profit, without mining my own ore anymore. I also have more real estate since I bulldozed my mining facilities.

OchreHand

What do you guys think about bulldozing a high school once you build a university? I'm wondering if university has all the benefits you need (education and raising the tech levels) so a high school would be superfluous.

f0rk

I can't remember if it was like this in WoL but I can feel the heavy Bioware influences in-between missions, it's exactly like talking to your crew on the Normandy in Mass Effect.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think the idea is to use the free resources to get started and on your feet, but eventually you have to start importing them to manufacture a product to sale. One of my cities finally ran out of Ore which I was using to make Metal. I also imported coal, since I had none as a resource, to make alloy. I was turning around a 2 million a month profit, but recently had to start importing ore also. I'm still turning a large profit, without mining my own ore anymore. I also have more real estate since I bulldozed my mining facilities.

That's the thing, it's kind of a blind bet.

I'm currently on a negative daily income. However, I'm exporting enough alloy to make it up.

If I stop exporting alloy to start making microchips, will it sell for the same price? Or more? Or less?

I didn't find a way to figure out how much microchips sell for. Are they better than Alloy?

I can't remember if it was like this in WoL but I can feel the heavy Bioware influences in-between missions, it's exactly like talking to your crew on the Normandy in Mass Effect.

I know what you mean. Totally feels like my advisors and citizens are talking at me, just like Mass Effect.

And those missions? Get your RPG out of my simulation.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
What do you guys think about bulldozing a high school once you build a university? I'm wondering if university has all the benefits you need (education and raising the tech levels) so a high school would be superfluous.

I don't know for sure, but my thoughts are that your sims age and eventually die. I'm guessing the sims will go through their life cycle and you will have new sims that will require education at each level.
I'm basing that off of low levels of elementary school populations that surged when I grew more residential... which then created a high school pop burst a few sim years later.

The only way to know for sure is to go ahead and bulldoze it and see what happens. :)

Speaking of missions. Pretty ridiculous how few there are. There must only be like 5-10 missions that actually award something. How many times must the Fire Department put on a fireworks show?

I don't know for sure, but my thoughts are that your sims age and eventually die. I'm guessing the sims will go through their life cycle and you will have new sims that will require education at each level.
I'm basing that off of low levels of elementary school populations that surged when I grew more residential... which then created a high school pop burst a few sim years later.

The only way to know for sure is to go ahead and bulldoze it and see what happens. :)

Believe it or not, your sims die at least twice a day. Once when they enter their job, and then when they enter their home. Probably also die when they enter a commercial building. Then someone new is born in their place.

munroe

That's the thing, it's kind of a blind bet.

I'm currently on a negative daily income. However, I'm exporting enough alloy to make it up.

If I stop exporting alloy to start making microchips, will it sell for the same price? Or more? Or less?

I didn't find a way to figure out how much microchips sell for. Are they better than Alloy?

In my city, alloy sells for about 44k, processors 67k and tvs for 197k!

OchreHand

Believe it or not, your sims die at least twice a day. Once when they enter their job, and then when they enter their home. Probably also die when they enter a commercial building. Then someone new is born in their place.

Hrm so someone new is living in the same house everyday? That's doesn't sound very real :/

munroe

I'm pretty certain the trading isn't fully working yet as I believe the prices are meant to fluctuate so you can buy if a material goes cheap then sell if the price rises

Hrm so someone new is living in the same house everyday? That's doesn't sound very real :/

Add it to the ever growing list of things not very "sim" like in SimCity. I guess we are just not there yet to be able to properly simulate this sort of stuff. At least, we aren't if developers keep catering towards the lowest-common-denominator.

DEO3

I experimented with this in my education city after reading that a university is the only thing you need, and found that this IS NOT the case. After demolishing my grade and high school my education level dropped from 3.5/5 almost all the way down to 1/5 with less than half of my student population getting an education at the university. After rebuilding the grade/high schools, as well as a community college, my education has now risen to 4/5 with the vast majority of my students now enrolled.

Edit: Just a note though, almost all of my students not being serviced by my university are instead getting their education at my community college. Very few students use my grade/high school, so I'm now wondering if a community college can outright replace those structures.

I bulldozed my high school because Education costs way too much per hour, but once it was gone, crime and deaths shot way up, so I placed it back down, so that stuff would lower and closed something else instead :p

Ugh really? I really thought the whole point that every car and every person has a purpose in the city. It sort of defeats of the purpose if they aren't persistent.

Calidor

Got tired of queue times in NA3, so I started a new city/region (First World Problems) in the South America server. Let me know if anyone wants to join.
no HUEHUE allowed =)
Made a straight 5 hour session on my new city... today I'm falling sleep at work, damn this game is so addicting.

I'm trying to go the High tech route with clean energy, but I'm having some problems with my industrial development and sewage/water pollution

JWong

Banned
Oh yeah, that one-road dude is probably sandboxing. It's not a sustainable city, and I don't see any sources of income like trade depot or something.

Top Bottom