• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since Halo is getting the PC treatment, why not gears?

FrozenFlame

Well, Halo got the Masterchief collection (remaster) for the Xbox One, therefore the PC port. Same goes for GoW 1. I don't see they would bother putting those games on PC unless they're also remastering them (which I doubt).

CitizenX

Banned
Thats a borderline decision since it would have to be on GP which equates to really no sales and Gears 5 didnt light it up on PC. Maybe after another gears they drop a legacy edition, who knows.

We still don't have word one about Halo 5 coming to PC, which is weird considering they claim they don't want to restrict where you play their games.

Codes 208

Well with halo it’s easier because mcc already exists as an xbox one game which they could port over to pc for the individiual titles (considering it’s already a pc-based architecture)

Also I believe halo mcc coming to pc is directly related to halo 5 flunking, 343 needed to keep halo afloat between halo 5’s release and halo infinite and mcc is the better choice for porting against halo 5.

gears 2 and 3 are still just 360 games so optimization is further needed and I guess coalition decided the gains just aren’t worth it

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'd love that to happen. Just port the 360 games with uncompressed textures and your standard PC settings Should run at 4k 60 on a toaster.

TheGrat1

Because the PC couldn't handle it.

+_8874246450350a2fdd3f19b3516a2618.jpg

After how much I disliked Gears 2, I thought I was done. But I gave Gears 3 a chance and thought it was pretty good...until I went on the internet and learned I was wrong.

So, I basically gave up on Gears at that time. I had my fill by that point anyway.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Halo has been around for 19 years now. Cortana is embedded into Windows 10. Gears of War is what 14 years with a Remastered version and two titles this gen. When do people start remembering 2006? I think it might come later on, but my guess is that Halo made a huge impact on the industry. Maybe Gears did too.

thelastword

Banned
Always said the same thing....I'd rather play Gears 2, 3 and Judgement on PC, than to revisit Gears 4 and 5......They were much better games with much better characters...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well Gears Tactics are PC only, so it goes both ways.

Always said the same thing....I'd rather play Gears 2, 3 and Judgement on PC, than to revisit Gears 4 and 5......They were much better games with much better characters...
Truth, although Gears 5 is not as horrible as 4th one...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would love for proper Gears 1 port (not the terrible remake and not the bad port we have with pacing breaking brumak level and wrong lighting).
But Gears 2 and 3 omg why not on pc

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still replay the whole trilogy on 360 because I like consistency between all games (that is 30fps 720p and I dont have xbox one) and I hate the brumak level in pc version.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not a cover shooter with clunky gameplay. Literally anything but.
I see.
Compelling argument.
Doom Eternal? Metro Exodus? Far Cry 5? Destiny 2?
What makes any of the games gameplay "modern shooter" gameplay?

Doom seems pretty oldschool, there isnt even a reload button.
Metro and FarCry dont seem to be doing anything that Call of Duty and shooters of that ilk havent been doing for years.
Destiny probably the most "modern shooter" shooter listed, but the gameplay is still essentially the same shooter mechanics we have had since yesteryear

P.S I loved all those games, and if you told me I had to erase my experiences with one of the series, id have a very very very hard time choosing one.

I just dont understand the "modern shooter" statement because in my eyes as a pretty avid shooter player Im not sure what that actually entails.
I still find myself playing CS and thats as old school as it gets and i dont get some "this is outdated" vibes.
When Unreal Tournament was part of the UE launcher I played that shit to death even though it hadnt really evolved since i dont even know when.
Quake Champions was a hell of a fun experience.
Gears series is in the same boat, I still get very satisfied playing through the series, I did a run through for the Gears 5 launch, and still play the MP and Horde.

I would need someone to explain exactly what they mean by outdated shooter and modern shooter when I havent seen shooters advance all that much based on the plethora of games I actively play.

P.P.S I now want to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Dacon

Banned
They're holding it in their back pocket for when they need a guaranteed influx of cash.

Seriously Gears 2 and 3 are the best Gears games according to myself and many Gears fans.

We'd buy remakes/remasters of those games so damn quick.

I see.
Compelling argument.

What makes any of the games gameplay "modern shooter" gameplay?

Doom seems pretty oldschool, there isnt even a reload button.
Metro and FarCry dont seem to be doing anything that Call of Duty and shooters of that ilk havent been doing for years.
Destiny probably the most "modern shooter" shooter listed, but the gameplay is still essentially the same shooter mechanics we have had since yesteryear

P.S I loved all those games, and if you told me I had to erase my experiences with one of the series, id have a very very very hard time choosing one.

I just dont understand the "modern shooter" statement because in my eyes as a pretty avid shooter player Im not sure what that actually entails.
I still find myself playing CS and thats as old school as it gets and i dont get some "this is outdated" vibes.
When Unreal Tournament was part of the UE launcher I played that shit to death even though it hadnt really evolved since i dont even know when.
Quake Champions was a hell of a fun experience.
Gears series is in the same boat, I still get very satisfied playing through the series, I did a run through for the Gears 5 launch, and still play the MP and Horde.

I would need someone to explain exactly what they mean by outdated shooter and modern shooter when I havent seen shooters advance all that much based on the plethora of games I actively play.

P.P.S I now want to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The lack of a reload button is because of how they balanced the combat. Doom 2016 introduced us to a type of shooter where you didn't hide from threats and Doom Eternal evolved that idea with even more ideas for how to keep you going at the enemy instead of hiding.

Comparing Far Cry and Metro to Call of Duty is beyond disingenuous. Metro/Far Cry are games based around open combat interactions that allow for multiple approaches, with Far Cry even vehicular approaches to combat (Metro also has vehicles but their use is more limited). In a Call of Duty game you go down a linear corridor and do what the game wants you to do when it wants you to do it. The emergent events you can create in a game like Far Cry are scripted in CoD and happen the same way every time you play. Metro is also giving you a lite survival experience as well with scarcity problems especially on higher difficulties and enemies you can't actually attack at all and must simply avoid.

Destiny is an evolution of Halo gameplay mechanics, it's the same dudes who made Halo. While a lot of the gunplay feels like Halo the abilities and movement go beyond what Halo was doing by far. Nothing from yesteryear plays at Destiny's level, just because something is more evolution than revolution doesn't mean it isn't further forward for the genre than Gears, I mean... that's such a weak argument.

Even games like the newer Tomb Raiders and Uncharted show us what an evolved Gears could be like, where going into and out of cover is more fluid and you spend much less time in cover. That said if you wanted a game where you're mostly in cover most of the time you could still evolve on what Gears offers but the games really haven't.

Counter-strike is old but nothing has really come close to what it does, it's unique and being unique is timeless... until something does what you do better than you, it just hasn't happened for CS yet.

Stuff like Unreal Tournament and Quake Champions don't really have many other current day analogues, especially with Doom Eternal not having real deathmatch.

Being modern has no bearing on your ability to enjoy the experience. Retro gaming would be in trouble if so.

MrS

Banned
Keep your absolute best IP locked to the platform like PS do with TLOU and GoW. People still need a reason to buy the machine. not everything should be on pc.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
They don’t have the resources to remaster them, and just porting MCC style would be a huge pain just like MCC was

manfestival

I did actually get to experience gears and halo finally all on PC and it is really nice. I have been left wanting after experiencing gears 1. 1 felt more visceral than 4 or 5 and the story was arguably better. It tried to do less and what it did it was more successful to me.

Compsiox

Banned
Keep your absolute best IP locked to the platform like PS do with TLOU and GoW. People still need a reason to buy the machine. not everything should be on pc.
All new games based on all IPs are coming to PC. The older Gears just might not be worth it apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

GlockSaint

I did actually get to experience gears and halo finally all on PC and it is really nice. I have been left wanting after experiencing gears 1. 1 felt more visceral than 4 or 5 and the story was arguably better. It tried to do less and what it did it was more successful to me.
Ikr I've played gears 1 last month and i loved it so much. Don't wanna play 4 and 5 till i play the other 3. The combat was so good i was looking forward to every encounter and for once you don't have to upgrade anything or look for something to upgrade, just fight the baddies. I really missed linear gameplay with all the open worlds these days.

GlockSaint

I would love for proper Gears 1 port (not the terrible remake and not the bad port we have with pacing breaking brumak level and wrong lighting).
But Gears 2 and 3 omg why not on pc
what's wrong with the remake? It's basically the same game with better graphics, it ran pretty well on my pc and I'm running a gtx 1160.

stranno

what's wrong with the remake? It's basically the same game with better graphics, it ran pretty well on my pc and I'm running a gtx 1160.
You fight General RAAM at daylight, to begin with. It makes zero sense since he is using a kryl shield. Kryls must be using sunglasses or sunscreen it seems.

The remake is terrible, imo. People Can Fly's port is still the best version of the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't like the style. It lacks something but I can't put my hand on it. And the brumak level sucks. It was not included in original release for a reason.
And the pc port of ultimate now is broken. Can't do 60fps on any system. It was working on release but something want wrong along the way

Top Bottom