• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since When Has American Culture Become So Mediocre and Pathetic? What happened to ABBA, Bowie, The Beatles, PSY, BTS, and other great American bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's beyond debating though and you continue to, as you so eloquently put it, "hit the horse". That horse is beaten to a pulp and in the glue factory at this point.
He made a new argument and I responded with a new point of my own. This is literally how threads work on the internet. I'm not sure what your issue is to be honest.

Alebrije

Its called globalization and is transforming most of west countries. Corporations with the help of media companies are leading this cruzade. Nothing is forever...

blade-runner-rutger-hauer.gif

Kreen101

To try and use the lack of such a talent in a specific media in a short span of time as proof of some kind of overall cultural decline is ridiculous in my opinion.
Ok, but do you accept that there can be such a thing as a cultural decline, or are all cultures, eras, periods and artistic endeavours equal by definition, because their value or quality are all entirely subjective? I mean, if you reject the very possibility of any decline, then the whole discussion is pointless.

In your opinion* you mean. You keep leaving that part out on purpose I think. There are plenty of cultural icons around the world. There may be less or more than what was produced in the decades you mentioned, but they do exist. They may just not be icons of a culture that you enjoy or recognize.

The hell are you talking about? Of course it's not a black and white issue and of course this is how I see current American culture, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread. Nothing wrong with that, but here you are getting triggered because somebody is raising some concerns about the current state of affairs.

If things were really that peachy, you wouldn't be so insufferably defensive about it.

So to YOU they are not icons. Just like some of the people you have in mind from the decades you mentioned were probably not considered icons by some people in their time.

So where are those mighty icons? You seriously going to compare a Cardi B to a Bob Dylan, a Kanye West to a Neil Young, a 6ix9ine to a Coltrane or a Billie Eilish to an Aretha Franklin? Where are your Spielbergs, your Kubricks, your Hoppers, Pollocks and Warhols?
You're seriously deluded if you think Americas current cultural output matches even in the slightest its glorious past.

Everything became political at some point. A lot of people pushed back and complained, but if you have a job ultimately you will answer to an HR representative, who doesn't want to offend anyone and is woke on all of the latest PC trends. I would say this is the end result of our work culture. We live in a cyberpunk dystopia where much of what we do and think is recorded, and it may be used against us by a variety of groups at an undetermined time in the future based on standards that may not exist right now.

Either the current state of things hits some kind of fever pitch where no one can be bothered to care about a lot of things that people are currently deeply passionate about, or maybe this can go on into perpetuity. An ever evolving set of social etiquette, where whenever new standards are set they are applied retro-actively.

You need a job to live, and things are getting more expensive all the time. How much do you want to stand up or stand out when you aren't really sure what the social rules are, how they might evolve, or how they might be applied?

Personally I see this getting worse for a few decades, maybe into perpetuity. It might get better as large amounts of people retire in the coming decades, or it might get worse because advances in technology allow workers to be more efficient to the point that we constantly have to fight for jobs not just in terms of what we bring to the table, but also in terms of our ability to appear squeeky clean under whatever etiquette standards develop.

I'd enjoy what we have now while we have it. I'm not optimistic about the future. Even with everything that's currently going on now, I can imagine a time in the future where we will all look back at 2020, and 2021, and say "I miss those days. That was before it got real weird."

Nobody_Important

Ok, but do you accept that there can be such a thing as a cultural decline, or are all cultures, eras, periods and artistic endeavours equal by definition, because their value or quality are all entirely subjective? I mean, if you reject the very possibility of any decline, then the whole discussion is pointless.
No of course I accept that. I just don't believe we are in a decline. I think we are in the middle of a monumental shift of social priorities and media styles. There is a difference to me. Like I said earlier cultural change in a direction you don't like doesn't necessarily mean that its entirely bad.

Last edited:
True, it's mostly the social media crowd. The problem is that entertainment producers think that social media reactions are a good way to measure the success of their products.

This is exactly it. They put too much weight on social media approval aka. the vocal minority, when I believe a clear majority of Americans don't give a shit about most of this stuff. Look no further than the recent Jeopardy host debacle, what a shitshow that is.

Last edited:

Dai Kaiju

It correlates with the decline of American Christianity. Race is our new religion and that is certain death for a multicultural society,

Davey Cakes

I blame media consolidation.

The overwhelming majority of media in the states (and abroad) is controlled by a small handful of companies. Just look at all the shit Disney owns.

Pretty much everything is looked through the most corporate vanilla lens by executives in order to make everything lowest common denominator.
Yeah. I think a lot of our problems go right back to corporatism, greed, and consolidation. It has created a consumer culture which has damaged other cultures.

CGiRanger

Banned
This is exactly it. They put too much weight on social media approval aka. the vocal minority, when I believe a clear majority of Americans don't give a shit about most of this stuff. Look no further than the recent Jeopardy host debacle, what a shitshow that is.
It is beyond infuriating how social media, particularly twitter, has become the ultimate "barometer" of culture and opinion for the West. It's the thing that even all the big corporations seem to turn to and gauge what they think the overall public wants from that.

When I'm pretty sure enough studies have been done on twitter to show it's mostly bots and paid/bought metrics, and is wholly divorced from normal everyday life.

Amory

I think you just see a whole lot of the extremes when it comes to the US. There's a bunch of people here, and you'll never hear from or about the large majority of us. Most live pretty normal lives, though I think as a society we've become too obsessed with individuals (and not necessarily ourselves, but with celebrities, athletes, politicians, etc.) post-internet and post-social media.

Plus we gave the country away to corporations over time, so that's had all kinds of consequences from the decline of social safety nets to the war machine to the fearmongering to the politicizing of everything.

Azurro

Banned
Who is elevating mental illness?

Well, buttplug people are running your country now in government, your universities keep on pumping out useless little activist buttpluggers because they profit from it, Hollywood and even game producers are staffing up with them to "purify" their products and make sure nothing offends their anus/vagina/not-vagina/non-sexual orifice.

I'm pretty sure at this point the insane are running the asylum. Your culture is declining and is weakening, that produces nothing of worth. It says nothing and it stands for nothing, as there is no morality and no objective reality except for what the sexual/non-sexual orifice people feel and whether they should plug it that day. That's woke culture.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Well, buttplug people are running your country now in government, your universities keep on pumping out useless little activist buttpluggers because they profit from it, Hollywood and even game producers are staffing up with them to "purify" their products and make sure nothing offends their anus/vagina/not-vagina/non-sexual orifice.

I'm pretty sure at this point the insane are running the asylum. Your fulture is declining and is weakening, that produces nothing of worth. It says nothing and it stands for nothing, as there is no morality and no objective reality except for what the sexual/non-sexual orifice people feel and whether they should plug it that day. That's woke culture.
To be honest that was 2 more "buttplug" references than I was expecting when I clicked the notification.

Other than that well done. I'm sure that kind of thing does well in certain parts of the internet.

Last edited:

Yoboman

In addition to ABBA, I miss the great days that showed American culture like the music of the Beatles, Queen and Daft Punk, movies like James Bond, Chariots of Fire, Life is Beautiful and Mad Max, TV shows like Dragonball Z and Doctor Who, American born actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger and and Sir Ian McKellen. Even the famous American sports teams like the 1970 Brazilian football team

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Composer of Wicked calls the US art scene a totalitarian state...

Art is at it's best when creators feel the freedom to create something that may offend. In 2021, everyone is scared shitless.

Last edited:
We have access to the whole world's innovations and technological advancements. Just enjoy whatever you get. People have been calling America a laughingstock for so long that it no longer has any meaning, if it ever did in the first place.

Azurro

Banned
To be honest that was 2 more "buttplug" references than I was expecting when I clicked the notification.

Other than that well done. I'm sure that kind of thing does well in certain parts of the internet.

I'd rather call them that than the term "woke", it's more concise. I think it's pretty clear they hate your culture, existing society, the family structure and work actively to destroy it, and are exporting that ideology wherever they can. Poor Canada is now full of them, thankfully the former eastern block hasn't been tainted with it as much.

A culture where the only thing that matters is where you are plugging the sex toy is definitely a declining culture.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I'd rather call them that than the term "woke", it's more concise. I think it's pretty clear they hate your culture, existing society, the family structure and work actively to destroy it, and are exporting that ideology wherever they can. Poor Canada is now full of them, thankfully the former eastern block hasn't been tainted with it as much.

A culture where the only thing that matters is where you are plugging the sex toy is definitely a declining culture.
I think you have some biases and some ignorant misconceptions that you need to work out if you genuinely believe that is reality.

Because that is complete nonsense.

Azurro

Banned
I think you have some biases and some ignorant misconceptions that you need to work out if you genuinely believe that is reality.

Because that is complete nonsense.

I saw it all around me when I was living in Canada (we tend to absorb whatever is the very left in the US), except it got way worse after I left. If you choose not to see the groups of "activists" in your country promoting sex changes to children, "activists" denouncing tests as racist, declaring science and mathematics as racist, "activists" wanting to turn men into weak, effeminate beings, all of these as signs of a declining and rotting culture, then that's up to you. Or maybe you consider yourself a buttplugger and you enjoy it, I don't know.

And given this is getting dangerously close to social politics, this is the last thing I'll say about the topic.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I saw it all around me when I was living in Canada (we tend to absorb whatever is the very left in the US), except it got way worse after I left. If you choose not to see the groups of "activists" in your country promoting sex changes to children, "activists" denouncing tests as racist, declaring science and mathematics as racist, "activists" wanting to turn men into weak, effeminate beings, all of these as signs of a declining and rotting culture, then that's up to you. Or maybe you consider yourself a buttplugger and you enjoy it, I don't know.

And given this is getting dangerously close to social politics, this is the last thing I'll say about the topic.
You talked about buttplugs and sex toys. I think its safe to say you have some biases and misconceptions.

But if you want to leave it there thats fine with me. Saves me the time.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
You talked about buttplugs and sex toys. I think its safe to say you have some biases and misconceptions.

But if you want to leave it there thats fine with me. Saves me the time.

I have no misconceptions, I had very little concept of it until I arrived to Canada. If anything, I was able to create a judgement with the benefit of my brain not being subjected to propaganda for years. It honestly makes me sad because I love Canada and it's rotting from the inside thanks to the buttplug people.

But I will leave the topic to the side as I enjoy the forum.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I have no misconceptions, I had very little concept of it until I arrived to Canada. If anything, I was able to create a judgement with the benefit of my brain not being subjected to propaganda for years. It honestly makes me sad because I love Canada and it's rotting from the inside thanks to the buttplug people.
Okay but once again you keep referencing sex toys when you talk about this. You do clearly have some biases and misconceptions here, but you are apparently unable to see it. So you have been subjected to propaganda, but not the kind that you think.

You have my sympathy.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Okay but once again you keep referencing sex toys when you talk about this. You do clearly have some biases and misconceptions here, but you are apparently unable to see it. So you have been subjected to propaganda, but not the kind that you think.

You have my sympathy.

Buttplug people = care about what color is their asshole (race), what kind of shit goes through it (food as a representative of culture) and whether it gets penetrated (sexual identity), and they shit on anyone that holds a dissenting opinion (fascistic tendencies). I didn't manage to get the comunist with extra steps aspect to it (equality of outcome) and how deeply racist it is, but I like the reference.

It gives their ideology the respect it deserves. :)

I do feel very sad for you if you subscribe to it, as I don't understand how it managed to capture anyone with a capacity of reasoning.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Buttplug people = care about what color is their asshole (race), what kind of shit goes through it (food as a representative of culture) and whether it gets penetrated (sexual identity), and they shit on anyone that holds a dissenting opinion (fascistic tendencies). I didn't manage to get the comunist with extra steps aspect to it (equality of outcome), but I like the reference.

It gives their ideology the respect it deserves. :)
Oh but you definitely have no biases or misconceptions. No sir :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I do appreciate you proving my point though. It saves me a lot of typing.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

US high roller culture follows the
$ $ $
Spend more appreciating what you like instead of fixating on things that lead to third world insecure manbitching. Squeaky wheel gets the reap when the money like to see you weep.

Nobody_Important

This new generation of Americans are spoiled and weak minded AF. It's honestly sad to see.

Hard times create strong men
Strong men create good times
Good times create weak men
Weak men create hard times
I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard this saying in the last few years. I could retire and buy an island I swear.

American culture is now all about the Simps, Onlyfans Girls, Deep Fried Everything, Crunk/Drunk/High and terrible movies. Have a strong ENJOY!

This new generation of Americans are spoiled and weak minded AF. It's honestly sad to see.

Hard times create strong men
Strong men create good times
Good times create weak men
Weak men create hard times
Weeb names create weak men
Hentai pictures create strong hands
Black mages create dark times
Noah Antwiler is created from Dark Times.

Chankoras

Dear Americans,
You used to inspire the world.

Your culture, a beacon of freedom and democracy stood like a bulwark against authoritarianism and oppression. As you stood on the shoulders of giants, the cultures that inspired your roots, the ancient Greeks cradle of democracy and scientific thought, the Roman Empire, the renaissance and enlightenment, you far surpassed them all. You explored space, landed on the moon, invented modern cinema, created music that would rouse the minds of generations to come.

From the free thinking immaterialistic Woodstock hippies, to the work hard party hard materialistic attitude of your Wallstreet yuppies, I f*cking loved all of it. From Abba to Zappa, from left to right, everything had something worthwhile to offer. Your country was a true melting pot of cultures and ideas, of free thought and hard labor. You had some many amazing things to offer, so many great artists, intellectuals, politicians, scientists, musicians and movie makers, far too many to count. You were proof that freedom and democracy just worked, you instilled the rest of the world with optimism and the hope for a brighter future and a better mankind.

So let me ask you this: Where has it all gone?

Modern American culture has become so safe and pussified, it has turned into a global laughing stock.

Form a European perspective, many of us have grown to dislike your cultural offer. Your overbearing concern with being as inoffensive as possible has robbed your cultural output of any inspiration. Your corporatism has crippled your artistic expression, as market shares and focus group testing have slowly evaporated your soul. Mediocrity is celebrated as our children dance to computer generated and auto-tuned songs. Movies, games and books are meticulously screened for even the slightest of insensitive and "problematic" content. Your classics are butchered for the sake of "modern audiences" and your movies have nothing to say anymore as your cultural industry churns out one remake after another.

In short, your culture that was once so uplifting has become destructive and bitter. There's no beauty to be found anymore, nothing that would lend wings to young minds. No movies, no music, no games that would kindle our fantasy. Maybe it's a sign of what's to come or maybe it's just an expression of your economical decline, a generation that was promised great things only to see its hopes and spoiled dreams shattered by recession. I don't know...

It's such a shame, your culture used to be the great unifier, now it has turned into the great divider.
Think you answered your own question, hyper-commodification of culture requires profit maximization, or "playing it safe" that's why things seem so recycled.

aclar00

There's nothing positive about wanting to become a "youtube star", an influencer or bleating your opinions on twitter. Social media does not reflect real life and is hugely detrimental to the innovative force in your country.
If anything, it leads to a further dumbing down of the population as most are ill equipped in dealing with misinformation. Coupled with a nasty educational crisis, social media is only exacerbating the decline of American culture.

Social media stars are just a byproduct of capitalism, consumerism and marketing. There are only so many resources to go around with "normal" jobs, why not take on a non traditional one that makes you more money.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Allow me to preface this post with an insult: I hate hyperbole.

That said, the American dream and inspiration to the world is not "on the way out" ... If anything, the reputation of America is just as solid as it's been for the last 120 years. People still want to emigrate here. Our movies are seen all over the world where many get impressive box office. Our music is played and copied all over the world.

HOW is our culture on a down swing when everything about it is copied and lauded ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom