• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar: Ultimate Party hits PS3 & PS4 on 29 October

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
A friend of mine has a huge library of songs downloaded on the PS3, assuming he transfers them across to his PS4 without incident, how would it work if he wanted access to them on my PS4.

Would he activate his PSN account on my PS4 as a secondary machine?

glaurung

A friend of mine has a huge library of songs downloaded on the PS3, assuming he transfers them across to his PS4 with incident, how would it work if he wanted access to them on my PS4.

Would he activate his PSN account on my PS4 as a secondary machine?
I am curious about this too.

The SingStore DRM stuff was completely fucked on the PS3. I still have some song licenses that are tied to my first, now broken PS3. And then I have a rather large amount of song licenses that are tied to my slim PS3 (now retired).

It'd better be easy on the PS4 and I don't want to call the fucking Sony customer support to get my licenses transferred again. Plus I have to call a UK support line so it is fucking expensive.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I am curious about this too.

The SingStore DRM stuff was completely fucked on the PS3. I still have some song licenses that are tied to my first, now broken PS3. And then I have a rather large amount of song licenses that are tied to my slim PS3 (now retired).

It'd better be easy on the PS4 and I don't want to call the fucking Sony customer support to get my licenses transferred again. Plus I have to call a UK support line so it is fucking expensive.

Yea it was weird how singstar acted completely differently to every other game. My aforementioned friend replaced his PS3 and had to email Sony to reset/change the licenses just so he could download them to his new PS3. I bought all the Rock Band songs and all I had to do was log in and redownload them.

Quexex

Banned
The PS4 debut of SingStar has arrived with the least amount of fanfare possible.

It's like they wanted it to fail. Has anyone seen any ads? Any previews or press releases?

This is not how you cherish a beloved franchise, Sony!

TV ads were on last night in the UK before the Big Bang Theory I believe.

Returners

The DRM was the reason I keep paying Sony to get my PS3 fixed. That way I could transfer the licenses no questions asked.

Either way, I hope the US gets more songs because of this. It's getting lesser and lesser now.

I wish they included the movie version of Let It Go instead of the pop single.

The Mic app seems pretty lag, although I've not calibrated it so it could be that. The PS4 store is VERY sparse. No Coldplay, Radiohead, Passenger, Robbie Williams, Blur etc so quite a few of my previously purchased songs aren't available.

Also noticed that the 10 songs I purchased via the Party Hits voucher aren't available to download and it's asking me to purchase certain ones again.

It's quite good with a few annoyances. You can't assign a name to the mic, so each time you end a round, you need to enter your name on the board.

Also not sure what it counts as a session, as been playing for quite a while yet still don't have the 15 songs in one session trophy :-/

I 'think' the lack of difficulty is actually built in to the scoring system. Although yet to try it. It seems as though it tracks your patch more this time around and i assume that you score more points for hitting closer to the middle of the note (size based on easy) so I think that maybe if you are closer to perfect in terms of pitch you will be scoring more points. I could be well off the mark though.

Quexex

Banned
I 'think' the lack of difficulty is actually built in to the scoring system. Although yet to try it. It seems as though it tracks your patch more this time around and i assume that you score more points for hitting closer to the middle of the note (size based on easy) so I think that maybe if you are closer to perfect in terms of pitch you will be scoring more points. I could be well off the mark though.

Awesome that's what I thought, sure I read something about that somewhere as well. Oh well that's one less option to set and more competitive singing!

Famassu

It hasn't been popular since Wii dominated. But that's probably more down to historical PS3 console base and entry price than the franchise itself. It seems that Sony is using PS4 as an opportunity to establish some broad appeal again.
It has been plenty popular in at least a lot of European countries, topping sales charts pretty regularly. Even small countries like Finland have had several Finland-centric Singstar releases and Singstars have been some of the very few games they've still released for PS2 as late as Fall 2011.

Berroclese

Neo Member
is the store down for everyone? I've not played on ps3 so was hoping to browse but the content seems to be unavailable as of now

goonergaz

I want to know if/when there's a 'free' version so I can get the songs that they've 'upgraded' - I have bought (litterally) 100s of songs on PS3 so don't really want to buy a disk!

They have said this will be possible, however the online features weren't available yesterday so I couldn't test it. It's unclear if you will be able to have your songs on both PS3 and PS4 or if you'll have to choose just one of them.

I can accept the compromise to have the songs only on one system. Sure some people will complain (you'll always find at least one person who complains about something) but I paid for a personal use on one system so giving me the option to make a PS3 -> PS4 transfer is ok for me.

Sorry for the late answer and thanks for yours :)

The app is available on PS4, so I downloaded. At first I couldn't access the store but now I've managed to queue up at least some of my songs. Queen, Toto, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie and a few more are available. Lots of stuff, especially Swedish songs, aren't. I'm guessing they've focused on contract negotiation with big bands first before tracking down all the small ones.

Starting up my Singstar ABBA disc, they've patched it to remove network access.

However, you CAN still play PS3 songs after downloading the PS4 equivalent. I just played one song on PS4, then went back and played it on PS3 again.

mus6677

Downloaded the SingStar app on my PS4, currently in process transferring my songs to PS4. Hate it that I can only queue max 10 songs in the cart.

Anyway, the SingStar Mic android app still not yet available in my country (Malaysia), if some good hearted souls can get me the .apk file so i can manually install to my android phone.

Downloaded the SingStar app on my PS4, currently in process transferring my songs to PS4. Hate it that I can only queue max 10 songs in the cart.

Anyway, the SingStar Mic android app still not yet available in my country (Malaysia), if some good hearted souls can get me the .apk file so i can manually install to my android phone.

Singstar app is available in Malaysia PS Store?

vercity82

So are PS3 disc loading for tracks working on the PS4 as not tried this out was easy to import my PS3 songs i had downloaded to the PS4 tho no problems.

Didnt seem like the servers were up for trophies tho.

So are PS3 disc loading for tracks working on the PS4 as not tried this out was easy to import my PS3 songs i had downloaded to the PS4 tho no problems.

Didnt seem like the servers were up for trophies tho.

Unlikely as they claimed that function isn't available, there is no option like before with the Select button to swap disc. Crazy if you ask me as I'm pretty certain that there is most likely no reason for it other than a cash grab. Unless the whole scoring change means that it's not viable. Maybe the scoring data for each song is embedded in the file. I don't know but I'm sceptical.

Chû Totoro;135726880 said:
I can accept the compromise to have the songs only on one system. Sure some people will complain (you'll always find at least one person who complains about something) but I paid for a personal use on one system so giving me the option to make a PS3 -> PS4 transfer is ok for me.

Sorry for the late answer and thanks for yours :)

I would accept that as well, if the new singstar still had all of the modes available on the PS3 version.

So just to confirm. Duets, Pass the Mic were removed? Did they add other modes to replace them? What´s the deal here? I always was excited to see what the PS4 singstar would ADD to the game, not remove!

I would accept that as well, if the new singstar still had all of the modes available on the PS3 version.

So just to confirm. Duets, Pass the Mic were removed? Did they add other modes to replace them? What´s the deal here? I always was excited to see what the PS4 singstar would ADD to the game, not remove!

Nothing added that I can see. Duets are still in there though.

Missing

Vita/PSP Playlist creation (Now done on mobile device)
Online Battle (was taken from the free PS3 app but worked on disc versions)
Assign a name to a mic before singing
Pass the Mic

Added

Mobile device Mics (bad lag but maybe just my network)
Cross system scoreboards (Quite happy that I can compete against my girlfriend on her PS3 with my PS4 scores)

Nothing added that I can see. Duets are still in there though.

Missing

Vita/PSP Playlist creation (Now done on mobile device)
Online Battle (was taken from the free PS3 app but worked on disc versions)
Assign a name to a mic before singing
Pass the Mic

Added

Mobile device Mics (bad lag but maybe just my network)
Cross system scoreboards (Quite happy that I can compete against my girlfriend on her PS3 with my PS4 scores)

I hope everything gets patched back into the game. It´s unacceptable for a sequel to have less feautures than their predecesors, when you´re now working on more capable hardware. It should be easier to implement, not the other way around.

I hope everything gets patched back into the game. It´s unacceptable for a sequel to have less feautures than their predecesors, when you´re now working on more capable hardware. It should be easier to implement, not the other way around.

I agree, I'm happy now it's come to PS4 but with a fairly empty store and missing functions, it's not as good as it could have been. I'm hoping that they do pretty big song updates early in its life, I'm assuming they need to sign up the artists again. What is strange is that in the store there is no Coldplay, yet their song is on the disc. So I think maybe it's just a matter of time before they get it up to a decent size.

Something I noticed as well is that calibration of the mic seems to be more beneficial this time around. I was almost adding another 3-400,000 to my scores once I remembered to do it.

agm2502

So I have around 115 songs to transfer across, do I have to select each one indivdually and go through the store process each time to download them or am I missing a 'select all' button somewhere?

Toki767

So I have around 115 songs to transfer across, do I have to select each one indivdually and go through the store process each time to download them or am I missing a 'select all' button somewhere?

There is definitely no select all button. You can only add 10 songs to your cart at a time too.

The Standalone PS3 app lost a shitload of features.

The multiplayer was always in simultaneous mode. There was no way to have the "alternating lines" singing.

And that's how I preferred to do multiplayer.

But since the PS4 versions doesn't use the PS2 and PS3 discs, it's fucking worthless to me.

The Standalone PS3 app lost a shitload of features.

The multiplayer was always in simultaneous mode. There was no way to have the "alternating lines" singing.

And that's how I preferred to do multiplayer.

But since the PS4 versions doesn't use the PS2 and PS3 discs, it's fucking worthless to me.

I agree that it's almost a suicidal mistake to have removed that function. I live in hope that maybe they might patch it in at some point but I'm not holding my breath. The fact that the new PS3 app will also remove that function AND the fact that the old discs will no longer work online is a kick in the teeth for those that enjoyed online battles and it's now just a case of beating a leaderboard instead.

goonergaz

lol, 94 songs all ready to go from the off for transfer to PS4 (quite impressed), shame the transfer process is painful!

Lots of songs missing on the store so I went back to PS3 to play but now there is missing tons of songs I used to have. Songs that wasnt even available on PS4, wtf.

Quexex

Banned
lol, 94 songs all ready to go from the off for transfer to PS4 (quite impressed), shame the transfer process is painful!

Yeah the PSN store on PS4 has a 10 item cart limit iirc. Still its great that they have supported song transfers between platformsx it's certainly not a typical business approach.

agm2502

Yeah the PSN store on PS4 has a 10 item cart limit iirc. Still its great that they have supported song transfers between platformsx it's certainly not a typical business approach.

How do you add more than 1 transfer song to the cart? When I add a song there is not 'continue shopping' option.

mus6677

How do you add more than 1 transfer song to the cart? When I add a song there is not 'continue shopping' option.
In the song preview screen. Press square to add to cart. Alternatively press triangle and select add to cart option. After you finish add songs to cart, press the touchpad and navigate to cart tab. Press square to checkout and complete song purchase

goonergaz

TBH if they hadn't offered something I would have been incredibly pissed, I've spent £100s on songs and it'd be like Apple not letting me transfer songs to the latest version of hardware.

goonergaz

In the song preview screen. Press square to add to cart. Alternatively press triangle and select add to cart option. After you finish add songs to cart, press the touchpad and navigate to cart tab. Press square to checkout and complete song purchase

brilliant, that right there saves me a couple of clicks! THANKS!! :)

DagsJT

Not sure why this wasn't released as a launch title, it's hardly blazing with features and technology that wasn't available a year ago.

It's way too barebones at the moment but hopefully they'll add features with patches.

goonergaz

Not sure why this wasn't released as a launch title, it's hardly blazing with features and technology that wasn't available a year ago.

It's way too barebones at the moment but hopefully they'll add features with patches.

I'm surprised it's launched so late, I can understand not being a launch title...esp as it was release so close to Christmas you can imagine any problems would have been amplified.

Top Bottom