• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Years Ago "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Was Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
bwXFwTw.png

Cx5cFZOVQAAAgCx.jpg

Here's an amazing article about the making of the album everyone should read.

Kanye Performs "Runaway" at 2010 VMAs

...how can you post this thread without posting the original MBDTF Neogaf thread?

OT1: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409396

OT2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412834

or even the the Neogaf Posse Cut of "So Appalled"?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415083

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Best Kanye album and an all-time classic. Every track on there is good. Every. Single. One.

One of my favorite albums of all time, super important for me as a person. Runaway is an absolute classic. The album flows incredibly well from one song to the next (So Appalled to Devil In a New Dress to Runaway is killer). That Gil Scott-Heron sample in Lost In The World / Who Will Survive in America is iconic.

Plus it has the line "Yeezy reupholstered my pussy". An instant classic.

Bread

Banned
Incredible album, one of his best. So Appalled and Devil in a New Dress are two of the best songs he's ever made.

Yeah, was definitely not feeling this version of Kanye. I absolutely hate this album. I felt there was nothing memorable for me. Also can we be careful with using the term "classic". That should be reserved for the higher echelon and I think his work at this time is not on this level. Maybe Yeezus out of his post graduation stuff, maybe, since it's so out there.

120v

not particularly a fan of hip hop, so-so fan of Ye... but this album absolutely floored me.

weird it's already old enough for me to feel nostalgic about it, but it is. if 2010 was a movie this would be my soundtrack

kingslunk

Yeah, was definitely not feeling this version of Kanye. I absolutely hate this album. I felt there was nothing memorable for me. Also can we be careful with using the term "classic". That should be reserved for the higher echelon and I think his work at this time is not on this level. Maybe Yeezus out of his post graduation stuff, maybe, since it's so out there.

Nah it's definitely a classic and easily his best. He did a 4+ minute vocoder solo in a hip hop song and it worked perfectly.

A tad overproduced, but it's pretty great.
What does that even mean.

Love this album to death. Scott-Heron chanting "Who will survive in America?" over and over again is the perfect note for this album of strife, of dealing with fame, of everything he was dealing with at the time to end on.

Who will survive in America?

NotLiquid

So Appalled is one of the few times when being boisterous but also self-deprecatingly reflective worked out in a quaint way for Kanye. It's still my favorite track from him, alongside the more recent Real Friends.

It's not my favorite album from him but it's by far the most well-timed thing he could release at that point in his career. It took the perceptions that the world had created against him and conjured an album that placed all of that under the scope, he managed to humanize himself through a fictitious narrative. It's just a shame that fiction would eventually become real during TLOP, but back then this was the perfect storm.

My favourite album of his I always flip flop from this and 808s as my favourite but I think this takes the crown

Yeah it's a bit bloated but god damn some amazing tracks on here

Runaway is just amazing I love all of the lights interlude going into the main song, Monster with Minajs insane verse and Jay Zs LOOOOVVVEEE I DONT GET ENOUGH OF IT haha it's brilliant

Like Pusha said get back to Hawaii with the gang Kanye

- J - D -

What does that even mean.

Love this album to death. Scott-Heron chanting "Who will survive in America?" over and over again is the perfect note for this album of strife, of dealing with fame, of everything he was dealing with at the time to end on.

I love that song, but overall i think the album is an exercise in excess and shows Kanye and his most overindulgent with the samples and effects. I mean, listen to All of the Lights and it's overly bombastic for what the song is really about. I believe this is true for the majority of the tracks despite enjoying it overall.

Oozer3993

Incredible album. The lead up to it was so much fun too. Kanye playing a tiny bit of All of the Lights during a web cast. G.O.O.D. Fridays. Swizz-less versions of G.O.O.D. Fridays. The leaks, lord, lord, lord the leaks. The Runaway music video. Then the incredible Coachella performance. The whole era was great.

Calion

I remember listening to MBDTF for the first time and immediately realizing I was listening to a damn classic.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Great record. Never picked up the vinyl cause everyone said it sounded like shit.

I love that song, but overall i think the album is an exercise in excess and shows Kanye and his most overindulgent with the samples and effects. I mean, listen to All of the Lights and it's overly bombastic for what the song is really about. I believe this is true for the majority of the tracks despite enjoying it overall.

i get what you mean, but i always thought that always contributed to the idea of it being this grandiose fantasy and worked in its favor

Catvoca

Banned
Best Kanye album and an all-time classic. Every track on there is good. Every. Single. One.

No lies here. The album is a masterpiece.

i get what you mean, but i always thought that always contributed to the idea of it being this grandiose fantasy and worked in its favor

Exactly. Power and All of the Lights etc. are busy but when the album is meant to be about maximalism and decadence that's kind of perfect (plus those songs sound fucking amazing so whatever)

- J - D -

I can't argue against that. The fantasy is the name of the album and fits the overall theme but I don't think it works on an individual track basis. Sit down and absorb it all in one go and that's when I think MBDTF is at its best.

gwarm01

Well this thread got me to listen to the album for the first time in years and I still love it. I fell off new music for a long time.. how do his albums after this compare?

Kingslunk said:
Nah it's definitely a classic and easily his best. He did a 4+ minute vocoder solo in a hip hop song and it worked perfectly.

I disagree. I would put Yeezus over this and I really don't like either album tbh. To each their own.

Moonkid

The album that got me into hip hop proper. And yup, Devil in a New Dress is still a fresh track.
Well this thread got me to listen to the album for the first time in years and I still love it. I fell off new music for a long time.. how do his albums after this compare?
Worse. Yeezus was fine and TLOP is average at best.

Overall weak album. Only like 4 songs worth revisiting to this day. Glad he followed it up with an anti mainstream classic in YEEZUS

Yeezus and The Life of Pablo were both pretty anti-mainstream in comparison to MBDTF. I think they're both really good though. They don't top MBDTF but they're still great efforts.

Regarding style, while MBDTF was maximalist, Yeezus is angry & industrial and Pablo is gospel-influenced with unusual song structures and a lot of samples carrying the songs.

NotLiquid

Yeezus is... different. It's incredibly experimental and leans more to a post-industrial style of hip hop. Think like a commercial take on Death Grips, in fact many cynics will argue that Kanye must have discovered Death Grips while making this album (some tracks like On Sight are egregious examples). It has some high moments, Hold My Liquor is imo the best track on the entire album and shows how Kanye still has a good taste for harmonics, but you're either going to love the album or hate it - there's little room for in between. It's also the most self-indulgent Kanye has ever been and while MBDTF generally felt like a deconstruction of decadence, Yeezus is overall incredibly spiteful and self-congratulatory which blurs the line even more. Your enjoyment of it might be dependent on how much you care for the guy behind the music.

The same goes for The Life of Pablo but arguably on a much harder scale. The music goes back to Kanye's more signature styles but as an album it's incredibly scattershot with not much of a thematic through-line, other than inconsistent glimpses of Kanye's life. Some individual songs on there are great but in contrast to the previous albums it's become much harder to separate the art from the artist since it's so integral to the music he puts in here. It feels like an album where Kanye didn't really try hard enough on; tracks like Ultra Light Beam, Real Friends, FML and No More Parties show some of Kanye's best and most sincere moments but the rest of the album doesn't manage to live up to that sincerity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom