• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

Mista Koo

Is that Umbrella's canon personality? If so I have to fight for her harder next round.

Real talk, Im only going to be salty if Annie wins. We have practically NO FUCKING GAMEPLAY INFORMATION ABOUT HER. Seriously wtf guys and her potentially playing like Herpa-Derp badguy isn't a good thing.
No one cares about gameplay information, I prefer to judge books by their covers.
Also I'd rather vote for "shark scientist", "tank-fist dude" or even "magical swordgirl" than "keep-away turtle charge cluster of hitboxes"

Mr. Fix

That way those detractors threathening with chargebacks can't claim LabZero is simply taking people's money and going with their own picks or something -

Actually, I don't think anyone believes the polls are being manipulated. It's just a matter of people having different tastes from these folks, and giving their picks the boot because of it.

Chavelo

As much as I would hate it if people chose the moe characters over real characters, you would be the biggest of cunts if you asked for a refund or chargeback. That shit is just not right.

Loona

Actually, I don't think anyone believes the polls are being manipulated. It's just a matter of people having different tastes from these folks, and giving their picks the boot because of it.

Maybe not, but as a gesture of good will it might ease the kind of mood behind those threats.

Am I the only one who felt that--at best--most of these gameplay concepts for existing characters were really vague ideas before this whole campaign started? You can parse a vague role or average range of normals or whether a given character will have a specialized tool, but most of that you can literally get from looking at the design(or not at all). And the lion's share of listed inspirations for characters out there seem to either pertain to one specific mechanic that character has, or exist as a visual/aesthetic reference.

If you want to vote for more-likely-to-be-defined gameplay concepts, I think the only ones resembling a safe bet are the characters with actual demos + Panzerfaust(intent is among the clearest), Umbrella(planned to be in the original game as DLC), and maybe Black Dhalia/not-boss-Marie. And really, none of them are safe bets. Can anyone even confidently say they know how Squigly is going to turn out right now?

Game design is all about observing, testing and iterating over concepts to (hopefully) make them interesting and fun, which means stuff changes a lot. I expect these characters to vaguely resemble the initial pitch that's been made about them when they're done, and nothing beyond that.

tl;dr don't be afraid vote for Annie she'll be gud

I have a very clear vision in my mind of Feng's gameplay. I see lots of jumping crossups, acrobatic keepaway, command grab setups, mid range grabs, and some sort of cross between Ouroboros or Kochou Gakure. Her air air movement is going to be insanely good for someone like me who is used to pendulum cancels. I plan to make full use of her momentum if he does a good job with the mechanic.

I hope to see something similar to Jam's Bakushuu and Hyappo Shinshou shenanigans for fast ground offense. I was honestly more excited about playing her from the start than everyone else, but I knew she probably wouldn't make it to top 4.

I have a very clear vision in my mind of Feng's gameplay. I see lots of jumping crossups, acrobatic keepaway, command grab setups, mid range grabs, and some sort of cross between Ouroboros or Kochou Gakure.

I hope to see something similar to Jam's Bakushuu and Hyappo Shinshou shenanigans for fast ground offense. I was honestly more excited about playing her from the start, but I knew she probably wouldn't make it to top 4.

This post is like a knife in my heart. I picture everything as you describe it and I want all of it. Then "wouldn't make it to top 4" and I'm bleeding.

You can bury me next to Yu-Wan's odds of ever being playable

Dachande

I have a very clear vision in my mind of Feng's gameplay. I see lots of jumping crossups, acrobatic keepaway, command grab setups, mid range grabs, and some sort of cross between Ouroboros or Kochou Gakure. Her air air movement is going to be insanely good for someone like me who is used to pendulum cancels. I plan to make full use of her momentum if he does a good job with the mechanic.

Yep yep yep. Also, with the Makoto influence, I want some kind of dash-in rushing punch like good ol' Third Strike's.

Goddammit you pricks all you had to do was vote for FENG how did you MESS THIS ONE UP !!

Azure J

I kinda think so too, feels to me for some reason that she's getting many secondary votes that could possibly make her surpass people's first priority.

Teehee. Excellent.

ibyeQdx1PPd1vs.gif

Soulstar

I hope to see something similar to Jam's Bakushuu and Hyappo Shinshou shenanigans for fast ground offense. I was honestly more excited about playing her from the start than everyone else, but I knew she probably wouldn't make it to top 4.

What are you doing to me Solar!?!? Stahp!!!!! STAAAAAAAHHHHHP!!!!

God. Just thinking about it makes me sad. It's also good to know someone else thought of pendulum cancels(one of the funnest mechanics in a fighting game ever) in regards to the birds. It's also odd how similar our thoughts on Feng are(get out of my head. seriously)

Damn just everything about her seems like the perfect character to me. The only other thing she needs is Baiken style counters.

This post is like a knife in my heart. I picture everything as you describe it and I want all of it. Then "wouldn't make it to top 4" and I'm bleeding.

You can bury me next to Yu-Wan's odds of ever being playable

Yeah Solar is so brutal.

Yep yep yep. Also, with the Makoto influence, I want some kind of dash-in rushing punch like good ol' Third Strike's.

Goddammit you pricks all you had to do was vote for FENG how did you MESS THIS ONE UP !!

I voted for Feng every single time. We need to rally for Round 2! I will not stand for this injustice!

Azure J

You're a bad man for this. Makoto + Hsien-Ko = Character of the Forever.

OG #TeamBlood-Fu member here at that.

GvL1yTh.jpg

You had ONE JOB, people!

What you guys didn't know was that I was rooting for Eliza just as hard as minette in my head :p

Wow, that's a lot of support for a secondary character.
I'm not even teasing you about Minette (much) - all of my extra votes don't hold a candle to who I really want to get in.

I'm sceptical of Feng being a lot like Makoto in the gameplay department outside of some command grab setups. I think they intended for Feng to be a lot like her aesthetically except younger and a bit more Chinese. That is why I mentioned those bits about Jam's Bakushuu and Hyappo Shinshou. The good part for me is that I consider those way more fun than Mak's Hayates.

Also, her air movement is definitely more like AH3's homing cancels which are stupid fun to use, but I just go with Pendulum because it's easier to get across. It's still more of a Pendulum mechanic than the stupid crap that Niitsuma and Neo_G tried to pass off with MvC3 Hsien-Ko.
Damn just everything about her seems like the perfect character to me. The only other thing she needs is Baiken style counters.
I got good news and bad news for you.

The good:
Beatrix has those Baiken style counters you are hoping for

The bad:

Dachande

I'm sceptical of Feng being a lot like Makoto in the gameplay department outside of some command grab setups. I think they intended for Feng to be a lot like her aesthetically except younger and a bit more Chinese. That is why I mentioned those bits about Jam's Bakushuu and Hyappo Shinshou. The good part for me is that I consider those way more fun than Mak's Hayates.

Also, her air movement is definitely more like AH3's homing cancels which are stupid fun to use, but I just go with Pendulum because it's easier to get across. It's still more of a Pendulum mechanic than the stupid crap that Niitsuma and Neo_G tried to pass off with MvC3 Hsien-Ko.

Hey, if I can do this with some sort of pendulum acrobatic mechanic, I can dig it. But I love that Hayate-command grab abuse, I need dat.

What I want to see transplanted from Makoto to Feng is her Tsurugi. It's so ass to me in SFIV that it pisses me off whenever I use it. I want to see Mike make that thing a lighting fast overhead for close range mixups. That thing should crap all over Parasoul's light punch overhead. That would make me more happy than Mak's rush punch tbh.

Edit: Oh man I hope some of the stuff I mentioned about Psylocke is true. Those birds could make for quite the visual spectacle in supers and specials.
Hey, if I can do this with some sort of pendulum acrobatic mechanic, I can dig it. But I love that Hayate-command grab abuse, I need dat.
Mak's Abare Tosanami is so good in 3S. No one seems to use it in SFIV. Are there even any good ways to combo into it in the new game? Feng having a similar super would be sick.

Reverse Naoto'd to get in the circus.

Where I come from, we'd just call him a trap.

What I want to see transplanted from Makoto to Feng is her Tsurugi. It's so ass to me in SFIV that it pisses me off whenever I use it. I want to see Mike make that thing a lighting fast overhead for close range mixups. That thing should crap all over Parasoul's light punch overhead. That would make me more happy than Mak's rush punch tbh.

I agree with this, but didn't Ms.Fortune already get !Tsurugi?

Not like that's stopping anything, since hers isn't particularly fast either IIRC...

Azure J

Being real honest, the two best things about Makoto are her command grab setups, especially post air reset and Oroshi/Tsurugi. The latter being the most awesome parts about her SF3 variant.

This says a lot though when I'm absolutely enamored with those lengthy mid-CHESTOOO-low-CHESTOOOO-have an overhead-CHESTOOOOO sequences. :lol

Oh man, you're scaring me with how alike we are. :lol

Soulstar

I got good news and bad news for you.

The good:

The bad:

Looking at her different inspirations and the fact that Skullgirls doesn't have a stun meter(not to be confused with the new undizzy stun meter) all I really expected was the command grab shenanigans and a dangerous super like seichusen to get that Makoto feel.

I also imagined one of the birds being sort of like a pendulum and the other being like a AH homing cancels.

Edit: Also regarding Beatrix those Baiken style counters are the only thing that I found excited about her. I really wish I could like her more...

Soulstar

Edit: Oh man I hope some of the stuff I mentioned about Psylocke is true. Those birds could make for quite the visual spectacle in supers and specials.

Mak's Abare Tosanami is so good in 3S. No one seems to use it in SFIV. Are there even any good ways to combo into it in the new game? Feng having a similar super would be sick.

I love these ideas. One of the things that excited me about Feng was that Mike said he mained Mak in 3S.

J-Tier

If one of the characters I want makes it (out of Isaac, Eliza, Beowulf, and Aeon) I'll vote for Feng consistently next round.

Rhapsody

Banned
I would hate her less if more was known about her honestly. She's the only character I don't understand being as far as she is.
While I don't hate her, I'm pretty much clueless/surprised that she made it this far as well.

I know some of the things listed in her gameplay inspirations come from some neat stuff, but I still have no idea what her game plan or style is really. If they explain how she'll play a bit, I wouldn't mind voting for her if it's interesting.

With Feng out, I voted Minette and Aeon, but everyone else is pretty cool.

FSLink

Banned
I would hate her less if more was known about her honestly. She's the only character I don't understand being as far as she is.

People find the juxtaposition of a cute magical girl with a sword a fun design? How is that hard to understand?...

I mean let's be honest here, most people voting probably don't play the game serious enough to really factor in gameplay styles (which are subject to change/most of the characters don't have demos), so it's all going to be off of "Do I like this character design?"

Really in a perfect world we'd have all these characters though, I like them all. :p

Nyoro SF

I'm curious if Peter will divulge the "voting pace". How many people vote in the beginning compared to the end... does the number of votes increase as the deadline approaches? etc.

Ravidrath

I'm curious if Peter will divulge the "voting pace". How many people vote in the beginning compared to the end... does the number of votes increase as the deadline approaches? etc.

It happens almost entirely in the first day or two.

This is why accelerating the schedule seems feasible.

Top Bottom