• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

DaRabidDuckie

We're in the first chapter of the Skullgirls saga, why are so many people trying to flip to the end of the book?
I respect that viewpoint, but in the end her story mode is a "What-if?" scenario anyway, so it really wouldn't be canon.

Then again, her fucking with everything's canon is kinda her deal anyway, so we'll probably see some kind of canonception stuff going on.

Kioshen

Since I just really don't know who to vote for I've asked my wife. The results are :

Annie
Eliza
Minette

She likes the bunny but lol fishgirl nope. I didn't even show her Aeon but yeah I'm still confused :/.

images

Pictured: me

Ughh, what a terrible top 4. I like Eliza best but I'm hoping Annie/Minette wins to clear the way for an actually cool character winning round 2.

Kajiba

Since I just really don't know who to vote for I've asked my wife. The results are :

Annie
Eliza
Minette

She likes the bunny but lol fishgirl nope. I didn't even show her Aeon but yeah I'm still confused :/.

She's a good woman. She will guide you to the right path.

Wow. Didn't expect Annie and Minette to both make it in. Was sure that one would sink the other, but I guess the fanbases are different enough at this point.

Definitely didn't expect Aeon to make it in over Beowulf. She arguably has the most interesting/Ahad-esque crazy design of the top 4(at least at a glance; I think Eliza is pretty close if you consider the full package), but I thought there was enough male voting support to edge her and the weaker between Annie/Minette out.

Someone will need to draw fanart of Big Band pimping the new roster when this is done, if he ends up being the only playable male.

Tumblr saltarama 4000
I’m sorry SG fandom, don’t take it hard… But you guys don’t even have local tournaments… You were gonna push this game to EVO and have like, 5 niggas attend to play competitively… And people outraged over the fact that it was beat out by Smash, too. That’s the shocking part.

NO PANZERFAUST. NO BEOWULF. PROFOUND SADNESS.

Are people even voting for the gameplay anymore or just to shoe-horn more moe-shit into the game? I know all of the money is donated, but I’d hate to see time and effort go into a character that could either be useless or barely even used by the community.

A friend of mine wants to demand refunds ‘cause his favorite character lost the vote. He says it ruins the fun if you can’t use the character you’ve voted for and instead have to chose some other shitty characters. It wasn’t worth the money.

Me and my cousin thought about this too but we are not sure.

Bonus Eventhubs wanker:

Dachande

Why is everyone so down on Aeon? Her mechanics sound really cool.

Because she'd either be a broken character (Mike Z himself said so), or would have to be nerfed so hard that anything interesting with her would probably be removed so she isn't unfair. She was originally envisioned as a final boss character.

Nyoro SF

OH

MY

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Not only are there no males in top 4, which is a huge shocker... but AEON made it to top 4, my favorite of the last bunch!

Vote Aeon! She can manipulate time on the cosmic level, pull characters from other timelines to assist... the ultimate time-based character in a fighting game! Plus she looks cool.

No time for pity or strategy. Just vote for who you want to win. The straw polls mean nothing. The facebook polls mean nothing. All or nothing final vote.

HAHA WHAT. Wasn't expecting these results; figured Beowulf was a shoe-in. On the plus side this means that every character I've voted for has progressed to the next round, meaning that we'll be seeing Annie in the finals.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because she'd either be a broken character (Mike Z himself said so), or would have to be nerfed so hard that anything interesting with her would probably be removed so she isn't unfair. She was originally envisioned as a final boss character.
Well, maybe they keep the interesting stuff but aspects make it less than viable. Like the Time/Space arcana in Arcana Heart 3 lets you stop time (including the match clock) on whatever frame the opponent is currently in upon activation at the cost of a burst, but it takes forever to start up, you can be hit out of that startup, and the damage scales really bad.

Nyoro SF

By the way Aeon had the lowest amount of votes in the top 8 by a long shot in the fan polls. She must have a huge contingent of hidden supporters.

This makes me relieved! Everyone kept writing her off, but she does have a big chance!

If you voted for Isaac I encourage you to shift gears to Aeon, for obvious reasons. If you voted for Beowulf... oh who am I kidding. Vote Aeon PLS.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Annie creates functioning suns with her sword and throws out universal beams. She gets shit done. What's Minette going to do if the Skullgirl doesn't like her service? Oh that's right. Run and tell her boss and watch her get a free meal.

#TeamAnnie

Sagan is a better partner than a serving tray!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So anyway, how does this chargeback bullshit affect the funding target for a second DLC character from this vote? Saw mentions of both on other sites and was wondering.

Dachande

Well, maybe they keep the interesting stuff but aspects make it less than viable. Like the Time/Space arcana in Arcana Heart 3 lets you stop time (including the match clock) on whatever frame the opponent is currently in upon activation at the cost of a burst, but it takes forever to start up, you can be hit out of that startup, and the damage scales really bad.

Yeah, sure, maybe, but in that case I'd rather we get a character who is nicely well rounded than one who was meant to be super powerful but hugely disadvantaged at the same time. I don't think many people would bother trying to use a character like that seriously.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, another example is Tamaki in Aquapazza where she doesn't exactly stop time, but slows it to a crawl giving all of her moves much more hitstun and juggle potential. If she gets hit though it immediately ends, so it's hilarious seeing her opponent stuff whatever she's doing in slow motion.

wildfire

Banned
We don't even have a single move of Aeon's known and you're already calling her a broken mess / non-ultimate boss character? How presumptuous of you.

Aeon hype!

You forgot what was stated in the character page.

Let me refresh that for you.

She may be able to capture moments on the battlefield to unleash later, like a bubble in time containing all attacks executed within its bounds. Then there is the usual slew of abilities to consider like rewinding time, slowing it down, and stopping it.

** Special Mike Z note ** Thanks to GGPO requiring the game to have savestates, a lot of this is more possible than you might think. Though you may not enjoy fighting against a divine being very much...

He said may be but that's besides the point. A lot of character speculations aren't guarantied in the first place.

Azure J

OMG OMG OMG, Eliza's in dere, yaaaaaaassss.

EVERYONE VOTE ELIZA.

Annie has enough staying power to sweep next round, I don't think Eliza has it in her to make top 4 a second time.

#DoTheRightThing
#NubianQueenEnd
#TeamEliza4lyfe

Nyoro SF

You forgot what was stated in the character page.

Let me refresh that for you.

He said may be but that's besides the point. A lot of character speculations aren't guarantied in the first place.

That doesn't say anything about how strong she'll be as a character though. I was fighting back against the notion that she'll be broken when we haven't even seen a single move of hers yet and how it works in the SG battle system.

Geniuzz

If what was posted on eventhubs is true, people who have voted, have already asked for refunds. Does this mean they are not eligible to vote for round 2? What about their already cast votes? Will they be discarded? Does that have any impact on the results? I'm sure people at labzero weren't anticipating this type of stuff.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
lol @ the Dio picture.

It's really lame that people can even chargeback for this. It was always going to be a vote. Nothing was ever guaranteed.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I just realized, Issac didn't make the top 4... Hoooooly fuck.

Is that at all surprising? I voted for him from day one, but there was barely any hype for him at all. The only thing I heard about him was his one time move, which sounds pretty lackluster compared to a crazy wrestler guy, summoning alternate future characters, blood and skeleton moves, galaxy shit, a guy with a tank for a hand, and a kawaii fishgirl. I think the Juju sniper girl got more votes than Isaac, and she isn't even an eligible character.

Even though she has the most generic look (IMO) I kinda want Annie to grab this one - hopefully Isaac gets the next round of votes.

Her description, while technically exciting in nature, seems a bit unfair when compared to a lot of the other characters. Like comparing Gurren Lagann to any other anime. "So your character can come back from the future, do a suplex, or just looks cool? Well, mine fights on MOTHERFUC*ING GALAXIES, SON!!!" And all discussion is expected to cease as everyone hails it as the one true perfect thing ever made.

Village

Oh look all the interesting people are gone, I thought this would happen.

I think more things are going to happen as well, If am wrong and hopefully I am wrong everything works out fine.

If I am right.. at least I have a future in marketing. Well more than I already planned to.

Chargebacks because their character votes didn't win a popularity contest? Talk about weak.

To try an play devils advocate, there are many people who have not played that game, who wish too but donated. And they may not like anyone on the roster, and that reasonable. Hell I hear that quite often on fighting game forums, the skull girls roster isn't the best. To be quite honest the list of characters we had to choose from seems more interesting than the OG roster itself,. The people who want to withdraw found nothing of interest so they do not want to contribute anymore.

It sucks, I am not saying they should do it, but in all honestly this is a statement that I myself has have to come to terms with growing up.No one really has to care about you or what you want, they didn't get what they want, so they withdrew.

Welp.

It sucks it sucks really really bad, but its what they think is best. This could segway into a talk about marketing and why people like certain rosters, but its 10am so no.

dan2026

Chargebacks because their character votes didn't win a popularity contest? Talk about weak.

You seriously have to be the lowest specimen of humanity to pull that shit.

Anyone who even contemplates doing that deserves to have both their hands broken, at the very least.

Jintor

I can kind of excuse the knee-jerk argumentative stuff on /vg/ because that's where you go to be argumentative in a semi-social setting, but somehow seeing all the butthurt on tumblr about "Urgh you voted because of AESTHETIC APPEAL what sick monster are you GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS" or "KAWAII shit get the hell out of my SRS GAMEZ" really bugs me. I guess I feel tumblr posts are more like blog posts into the void so all you're doing is yelling into nothing and acting occasionally somewhat surprised when it responds.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
People, if you want to vote a nice, original, and classy design: vote Eliza. She blends pretty good with the rest of the SG crowd and fighting/playing as her sounds like a blast.

Also, fuck people who charge back. Once again I'm shown how the FGC is 51% scummy people.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also, fuck people who charge back. Once again I'm shown how the FGC is 51% scummy people.
I'd like to know how much money is affected by this sort of activity. Is it just a small group of asshats or is there actual movement? Paypal is run by asshats of a different sort, so what they do isn't always indicative of anything.

Village

I can kind of excuse the knee-jerk argumentative stuff on /vg/ because that's where you go to be argumentative in a semi-social setting, but somehow seeing all the butthurt on tumblr about "Urgh you voted because of AESTHETIC APPEAL what sick monster are you GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS" or "KAWAII shit get the hell out of my SRS GAMEZ" really bugs me. I guess I feel tumblr posts are more like blog posts into the void so all you're doing is yelling into nothing and acting occasionally somewhat surprised when it responds.

Well they kind of have a point and kind of not , I would explain this but its 10 am , and the long version is a forum that I would eventually make when I a * looks up * oh I am a member.

well shit.....

Azure J

Is that at all surprising? I voted for him from day one, but there was barely any hype for him at all. The only thing I heard about him was his one time move, which sounds pretty lackluster compared to a crazy wrestler guy, summoning alternate future characters, blood and skeleton moves, galaxy shit, a guy with a tank for a hand, and a kawaii fishgirl. I think the Juju sniper girl got more votes than Isaac, and she isn't even an eligible character.

It's really funny too because when I first saw the video while hearing about his time state changing, I thought it was really cool. Cool enough that my first real duo in the voting was Eliza/Issac. Sometime during the voting before even the second round of votes where I voted Feng, Eliza, Black Dahlia and Venus, I just felt that although the mechanic was unique, there was almost a lack of more applications with that mechanic of his and he kinda started dropping further and further down the food chain.

Caelestis

Oh snap, both Aeon and Minette made it in. How will I choose who to vote between them? D:

Even if Annie makes it I will be happy, but Eliza needs to go.

Top Bottom