• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

Sorry in advance for the question, I'm pretty sure it has been asked tons, but I briefly searched around and didn't find anything about it.

What kind of new content is bundled with Skullgirls Encore (aside from Squigly)? New arenas? New/edited cutscenes? Art galleries?

Also, what does 'free for a limited time' (related to Squigly) mean?
Free as in a timed promotion - where the character is actually free for a few days - or it's more like DoA5U Core Fighters, with Squigly being free for a month or so, then she gets locked and you have to buy the DLC, in order to keep using her in the game?

Hope I won't have to wait too much extra time for my EU PSN Encore and XBLA update. :)

1. It's pretty much the same core game, just with tons of improvements. Full patch notes here: http://skullgirls.com/2014/02/skullgirls-encore-patch-notes/

There are three new stages, one of which is unlocked by completing Squigly's story mode

Art galleries will be coming, possibly with Big Band's patch. We're thinking we may make it free DLC, though, just because it's like 2 gigs of art.

2. "Free for a limited time" is our workaround for code distribution on consoles, which is both expensive and logistically difficult. We didn't make her free forever because we didn't want people that funded her to feel like new people would be "freeloading"

All DLC characters will be free to everyone for three months, and then her price will go to $5 after that point. We may make DLC characters free again for promotional / sale purposes.

If you "buy" her when she's free, she's free forever. You don't have to pay later.

3. Right now the EU PSN release is looking like 2/26. MS Japan, unfortunately, has fabricated another political impasse that we're working to overcome. So no idea when that patch will be submitted.

There is also the Typing of Skullgirls new mode, but I'm not sure how you access it on consoles.

Plug in a USB keyboard, and type "gottatypefast!" before the company logos are done. You need the "!" or at least a "1" for it to work.

Galdelico

Free for a limited time means "download it during the first 3 months and then keep it forever".

Not counting Squigly and her story mode, the game has A LOT of gameplay changes, like 3 new stages, an extra bonus mode that you'll probably never beat because fuck Marie 300%, and yes I think it should have an art gallery since the pc version has one I forgot to check.

1. It's pretty much the same core game, just with tons of improvements. Full patch notes here: http://skullgirls.com/2014/02/skullgirls-encore-patch-notes/

There are three new stages, one of which is unlocked by completing Squigly's story mode

Art galleries will be coming, possibly with Big Band's patch. We're thinking we may make it free DLC, though, just because it's like 2 gigs of art.

2. "Free for a limited time" is our workaround for code distribution on consoles, which is both expensive and logistically difficult. We didn't make her free forever because we didn't want people that funded her to feel like new people would be "freeloading"

All DLC characters will be free to everyone for three months, and then her price will go to $5 after that point. We may make DLC characters free again for promotional / sale purposes.

If you "buy" her when she's free, she's free forever. You don't have to pay later.

3. Right now the EU PSN release is looking like 2/26. MS Japan, unfortunately, has fabricated another political impasse that we're working to overcome. So no idea when that patch will be submitted.

Thanks guys, it all sounds great. :)

GGs, sorry, I had to go.

lol, yeah that was long; for a moment thought that'd end up being a ft50

For barely having played since Big Band started being in the beta I thought that wasn't too bad. Still, my rust showed and my lack of optimal combos hurt :T

How's this patch? How does it change the game?

Short answer: A lot of big changes, check out the patch notes.

Long answer:

The game not only has a brand new character, but the game has been dramatically rebalanced away from Marvel-style stupidity (one combo KOs) towards a more interesting reset/neutral based game. Several characters have been significantly altered, with the most heavily changed character being Fortune. An entirely new Drama system is in place to finally kill the long-boring-combo problem, and the game has also seen a speed boost.

Ravidrath

The XMB codes are still being rolling out? I didn't receive my code yet.

Everyone should have them now, as far as I know.

Did you buy your game on PSN, or at Gamestop?

And are you sure you bought it on your current PSN account? Had someone realize they bought it on another account and they found their code there.

Shinriji

Everyone should have them now, as far as I know.

Did you buy your game on PSN, or at Gamestop?

And are you sure you bought it on your current PSN account? Had someone realize they bought it on another account and they found their code there.

PSN. I never received the XMB message, but the game is on my download list (just checked on my vita) since 2/13.

Thanks.

Shinriji

Grr, OK.

Uh, e-mail me at indiegogo (at) labzerogames (dot) com and I'll send you a code once we get them from Sony.

No, no. My game is OK. Chances are that my brother in law entered my account on his PS3 and received the code and activated the game.

Sorry for your trouble.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sell me this game. I used to pay alot of street fighter 4 and I've taken a break on fighters for the last year.

Ok, it's nothing like Street Fighter 4

Every character is very unique though the roster is small

Game is tag based

Assist that your partner characters do can be ANYTHING they have except supers

Game lets you play with a team of 1 to 3 characters

Game is very combo heavy

Has a pretty damn good tutorial for getting you started on the road to figuring things out on your own.

Game has some of the best 2d animation in gaming period

Awesome music

El Sloth

Banned
I know it's been out a while now, is there a sequel coming out soon? I dont want to buy two games lol.
This is definitely not something you have to be worrying about for the near future.

By the way, if you do end up on deciding to buy the game then get it either on PC or PSN. Don't bother with XBLA.

FSLink

Banned
Grr, OK.

Uh, e-mail me at indiegogo (at) labzerogames (dot) com and I'll send you a code once we get them from Sony.

I had to reformat my PS3 today as it was the first time in awhile I've been online and I had a corrupted hard drive....so I never saw my PSN code, and it looks like messages aren't synced to the cloud? Anyway I can be helped with this by just sending an e-mail to you? I'm pretty sure I bought Skullgirls when it first came out.

Ravidrath

I had to reformat my PS3 today as it was the first time in awhile I've been online and I had a corrupted hard drive....so I never saw my PSN code, and it looks like messages aren't synced to the cloud? Anyway I can be helped with this by just sending an e-mail to you? I'm pretty sure I bought Skullgirls when it first came out.

You bought it from PSN?

I don't think you would've lost the message if you had received it.

You don't have a Vita or PS4, do you? The message I believe would show up on those as well.

FSLink

Banned
You bought it from PSN?

I don't think you would've lost the message if you had received it.

You don't have a Vita or PS4, do you? The message I believe would show up on those as well.
Yeah, I bought it on the US PSN and I'm on the same account. Looks like I bought it on 4/10/2012 so probably after I bought the XBL version. :p

Well the hard drive format removed all my previous messages and saves (luckily those were backed up on the cloud though I'm gonna have to redo Full Boost since it was on my JP account) so I'm assuming it got lost in that too. I have a Vita but checking the messages app on there it doesn't show up.

People should check out the beta again today, yesterday's update added a tonne of Big Band vo. I originally wasn't much of a fan of his voice but after hearing more of it I like it a lot. Also Under The Bridge has seen a lot of work, I love how the Salt Co van wobbles when the screen shakes!

Oh and folks should check out the revised version of Lab Nine Empty. It changed a while back but it is now properly distinct from the normal Lab Nine stage.

I have been trying out Parasoul combos whilst checking out Beta stuff, and I have to ask - where is the damage at? I cannot even get 6000 meterless with her as it stands.

SuperOrez

I bought it. Now it's time to figure this game out. Seems like a fight stick would make this game a lot easier. Are those things any cheaper now-a-days?

Way more cheaper now. You can find second hands arcade sticks for nothing now, and it's often as undestructible as SF4 opening, so you don't have to worry about the stick being used.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
I think the game probably is easier with a Stick but I have friends that do just fine with a regular controller. Don't forget you can use the right stick to call assists and you have two unused buttons that can be set to macros.

I'm severely disappointed that Peacock's hard shadow no longer tracks the opponent.

It does track ... just only the latter half of the screen. In Beta we went through a lot of iterations of Item Drop / Bomb Cancel changes and I think we nailed a pretty nice balance when all was said and done.

Item Drop MP Tracks the half of the screen closest to you.
Item Drop HP Tracks the farther half of the screen.

It limits its ability as a universal "doom missile-esque" type assist (making her other assists more viable) and makes it so that you have to put a bit more thought into her zoning game than you had to before. On the bright side you can use charged item drop as an assist which is full of fun.

Wait, wut. Since when?! Holy hell, that sounds awesome

Since tons of beta experiments!

If I remember correctly to get the charged versions on the assist screen then its ...

Charged LP Drop - QCB + LP+MP
Charged MP Drop - QCB + LP+HP
Charged HP Drop - QCB + MP+HP

It's in the patchnotes at :
http://skullgirls.com/2014/02/skullgirls-encore-patch-notes/
(She can also use Taunt as an assist)

I noticed in the patch notes that they actually didn't mention Parasoul's coolest change either. Her j.MK (Umbrella) auto-detonates any placed tears that it makes contact with. If you place it right the explosion of the tear actually propels her in the air.

Probably not viable for anything other than looking really awesome.

El Sloth

Banned
Since tons of beta experiments!

If I remember correctly to get the charged versions on the assist screen then its ...

Charged LP Drop - QCB + LP+MP
Charged MP Drop - QCB + LP+HP
Charged HP Drop - QCB + MP+HP

It's in the patchnotes at :
http://skullgirls.com/2014/02/skullgirls-encore-patch-notes/
(She can also use Taunt as an assist)

I noticed in the patch notes that they actually didn't mention Parasoul's coolest change either. Her j.MK (Umbrella) auto-detonates any placed tears that it makes contact with. If you place it right the explosion of the tear actually propels her in the air.

Probably not viable for anything other than looking really awesome.

Man, this what I get for being lazy about reading the patch notes. The Parasoul thing could be maybe used for a stylish but impractical mixup on incoming characters!

Ravidrath

Gamestop Code People!

We just received the vouchers from Sony.

If you haven't already, please send an e-mail to indiegogo (at) labzerogames (dot) com and include your PSN ID so we can verify your purchase.

Sorry this took so long, but happy we can finally clear this up for everyone.

Geniuzz

Glad to see the PSN thing sorted. Is there an ETA on the XBL version (EU)? When they announced the PSN version they said it would be about two weeks after, which would be next Tuesday, but I haven't heard if this will actually happen. Any news on that front? Patient XBL players want to know.

Ravidrath

Glad to see the PSN thing sorted. Is there an ETA on the XBL version (EU)? When they announced the PSN version they said it would be about two weeks after, which would be next Tuesday, but I haven't heard if this will actually happen. Any news on that front? Patient XBL players want to know.

We haven't been able to submit to MS yet, but should be able to soon.

Once it's submitted, hopefully it'll be out in about two weeks' time.

Top Bottom