• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New(er) Screenshots and Previews

Xevren

Reluctant-Hero said:
Damn, 11-11-11 can't come soon enough!

I know right!? That Jack & Jill movie looks amazing, I guess that Skyrim comes out the same day too, which is cool I suppose.

Truant

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
AAcFK.jpg

Awww shiiit.

http://5secondfilms.com/watch/bucky_calls_the_captain/

Suairyu

Banned
The problem with Elder Scrolls games is that they encourage you to actively think of your stats and do dumb shit to make sure you're levelling up 'properly'.

Hours of blu-tacking my keyboard in Morrowind so each level up would come with the maximum fitness (and thus HP) upgrade. On the one hand I love figuring out the stats of a game and working the system, on the other hand it kills immersion.

I think this will be the first ES games where I pay as little attention as possible to the 'game' side of things and instead just focus on the role play and the experience. No idea if I'll be able to stick to this (I see numbers and I have to make them better), but I'll try my damned hardest.

Wallach

Suairyu said:
The problem with Elder Scrolls games is that they encourage you to actively think of your stats and do dumb shit to make sure you're levelling up 'properly'.

Hours of blu-tacking my keyboard in Morrowind so each level up would come with the maximum fitness (and thus HP) upgrade. On the one hand I love figuring out the stats of a game and working the system, on the other hand it kills immersion.

I think this will be the first ES games where I pay as little attention as possible to the 'game' side of things and instead just focus on the role play and the experience. No idea if I'll be able to stick to this (I see numbers and I have to make them better), but I'll try my damned hardest.

This is one of the things I am most looking forward to. The past ES games have what I consider the worst leveling system in pretty much any WRPG worth playing. It sounds like they've addressed it fairly well.

Mindman

Suairyu said:

You'll like Skyrim more than the previous games, then.

squidyj

Xevren said:
I know right!? That Jack & Jill movie looks amazing, I guess that Skyrim comes out the same day too, which is cool I suppose.

You mean Immortals? Cuz I thought that looked terrible.

Suairyu said:

theyve taken all that out, you just level the skills now and then at level up pick an attribute to increase (HP, MANA, STAMINA) and a perk (think talent trees like in WoW/Diablo for each skill), and just keep going. there is no level cap either.

The new leveling system has me really excited. Going to make playing the game so much smoother.

I just hope they keep leveled unique items to a minimum. There were a few non-leveled unique items in Oblivion, but it could have used a lot more.

abundant

ZombieSupaStar said:
theyve taken all that out, you just level the skills now and then at level up pick an attribute to increase (HP, MANA, STAMINA) and a perk (think talent trees like in WoW/Diablo for each skill), and just keep going. there is no level cap either.
Technically, there is... when you max out all 18 skills.

Xevren said:
Although I do love Adam Sandler, Skyrim will definitely be receiving all of my free time over that weekend.

Suairyu

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
So skills no longer have any bearing on attributes?

xelios said:
Skyrim is gonna get rid of my min/maxing? Someone mod it back in please.
There was no min/max-ing in ES, only babysitting your levelup process so you could do max/max-ing. It's annoying as fuck and pretty much the one thing that has always held the ES series back from being 'top-tier' RPG in my mind.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Skyrim is gonna get rid of my min/maxing? Someone mod it back in please.

Valygar

In april they said the skills you have the highest makes level up you faster... and that's all I know. I would like to know how exactly it is done, because that was my major grip with Oblivion. But so far, it seems something simplier and a little more similar to fallout (the perk system is more or less the same).

MaddenNFL64 said:
Attribute system is done.

No more BS power leveling looking for the 5/5/1(luck) max level up.

Thanks, Bethesda. Now I finally will be able to play how I want and level up the skills I want to use, how it's supposed to be, not level up the skills to level up my attributes correctly. The only time I didn't do that I ended with a screwed up character.

Now I'm hyped!

Suairyu said:
So skills no longer have any bearing on attributes?

There was no min/max-ing in ES, only babysitting your levelup process so you could do max/max-ing. It's annoying as fuck and pretty much the one thing that has always held the ES series back from being 'top-tier' RPG in my mind.

i dont think attributes even exist anymore in skyrim, as in speed strength etc, i dunno what MANA HP STAMINA qualifies as actually.

Wallach

ZombieSupaStar said:
i dont think attributes even exist anymore in skyrim

They don't. But then the attributes in TES didn't do much outside of modify Health/Magicka/Stamina in some way, and those effects can easily be handled by skill perks.

Wallach

Dresden said:
high elf mage

pewpewpew

I wanna do a Breton mage, I don't want soft serve hair styles. Thing is I think Breton innate powers got nerfed so I don't know if they still have passive magicka absorption. If they did I'll probably roll Nord and hit people with things.

Khezu

This is a pretty shallow gripe, but man I really wish they didn't use the name "perks", ability point or talent point would have been so much better.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wallach said:
They don't. But then the attributes in TES didn't do much outside of modify Health/Magicka/Stamina in some way, and those effects can easily be handled by skill perks.

Err, they do a lot more than modify health/magicka/stamina. Strength, agility, speed; I'm wondering how encumbrance, run speed, extra damage etc. will be handled, but I haven't read too much about the game because I'm afraid of too much exposure. Maybe it will just be transferred over to a skill alone. Even intelligence like in Morrowind heavily affected other things more than magicka, such as enchant/alchemy success rate and strength of potions. Boosting intelligence really high and making super potions was part of the fun.

Wallach said:
I wanna do a Breton mage, I don't want soft serve hair styles. Thing is I think Breton innate powers got nerfed so I don't know if they still have passive magicka absorption. If they did I'll probably roll Nord and hit people with things.

I'm going Nord. I like hitting people.

MaddenNFL64

The min max comes from the perk system, and your choice of health, magicka, or stamina increase at every level up. If you want to be a thief/archer/dagger assassin, which is what I want, you would get all the perks from sneak, archery, pickpocket, lockpick, light armor, one hand, alchemy (for cool poisons), and illusion. You would also mainly pick stamina & health (probably alternate per level). Since they said leveling slows way the fuck down at 50, I doubt we can get everything so prioritizing for your playstyle will be a must I think.

edit: hmm, I may want to do some powerful illusion spells for longer invis/chameleon, and magically seeing people through walls & stuff, so I may bump magicka every 5 levels? Like health, stamina, health, stamina, magicka.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I will probably start the game with 3 or 4 builds and play a little with each, eventually centering on one that feels most comfortable for completion.

Suairyu

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
Attribute system is done.

No more BS power leveling looking for the 5/5/1(luck) max level up.
THANK YOU BETHESDA

Time to actually start roleplaying, then!

This game is screaming out for a Conan-style character. Heavy melee focus with stealthy thievery skills in the repertoire.

When I finally get around to doing the main quest after an obscene amount of hours doing everything but that, I can justify my character slowly beginning to learn magic in a 'shit just got real' kind of way, or maybe not even do it at all and save it for another playthrough. I JUST DON'T KNOW YET THE GAME IS FULL OF POSSIBILITIES AGAIN.

KingK

Glad to hear about the changes to the leveling system. It was one of the major things holding me back from ever getting really into Oblivion. Something a little more like Fallout 3 sounds perfect.

Anyone know if you can have animal companions in this game? I really want to do a playthrough as an assassin Arya Stark with a wolf companion named Nymeria <3

CrazyDude

KingK said:
Glad to hear about the changes to the leveling system. It was one of the major things holding me back from ever getting really into Oblivion. Something a little more like Fallout 3 sounds perfect.

Anyone know if you can have animal companions in this game? I really want to do a playthrough as an assassin Arya Stark with a wolf companion named Nymeria <3
You can have a dog, that is that has been confirmed so far. ( As far as I know.)

skyrim_dog.jpg

Psy-Phi

Suairyu said:

Only if you're a min-maxer. If you know how to just enjoy yourself, the leveling in past ES games was brilliant, as it rewarded you with what you did as your growth. There's nothing wrong with min-maxing, but don't act like the game is forcing you into that play style. That's just your play style :p.

It's not as if the games were super challenging, requiring a perfect build to finish.

abundant

KingK said:
Animal companions are in the game. Someone even found a staff the summons a ghost wolf.

Wallach

xelios said:
Err, they do a lot more than modify health/magicka/stamina. Strength, agility, speed; I'm wondering how encumbrance, run speed, extra damage etc. will be handled, but I haven't read too much about the game because I'm afraid of too much exposure. Maybe it will just be transferred over to a skill alone. Even intelligence like in Morrowind heavily affected other things more than magicka, such as enchant/alchemy success rate and strength of potions.

It's not a particularly long or deep list of things, and most of them are things that can be handled within the skill's perk tree or skill level. Strength for example did very little; aside from your health/fatigue it was part of the derived statistic for damage and encumbrance. Encumbrance now being derived from stamina, the only thing we need to find a home for is a damage modifier, which the new skill perk system has an outlet for. Doing that allows for a better way to level up without removing the derived statistics or their effects, but in a way that isn't mind-numbingly retarded from an RP standpoint.

Khezu

KingK said:

There is a dragon shout that summons animals to fight by your side, also the most powerful version of the shout summons a dragon to fight for you

Concept17

So I'm going to play an Ork, but I can't decide if I want to go strait-up shield/sword melee or do something more stealth-like (probly not the best race for that) with a little magic here or there.

Need to know more about the game. :(

Psy-Phi

Concept17 said:
So I'm going to play an Ork, but I can't decide if I want to go strait-up shield/sword melee or do something more stealth-like (probly not the best race for that) with a little magic here or there.

Need to know more about the game. :(
Play what you want to play. This isn't an MMO where you'll be riduclued and never picked for a raid because your class does 5% less damage than another of another race.

Just enjoy it and play it for fun. You'll like it a lot more.

I can't help but compare it to Dark Souls in my mind and no matter how much I try I can't imagine the combat being anywhere near as fun. :(

MaddenNFL64

Spiffy_1st said:
I can't help but compare it to Dark Souls in my mind and no matter how much I try I can't imagine the combat being anywhere near as fun. :(

This game has a 100 billion other things going on than dodging skeletons. Just dive into the nerddom.

Wallach said:
Yeah. That's it for me. That's all the hype. Just start over with hype, there's no more.

hey! I found some more =]

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/three-hours-with-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-was-not-enough/3748/
And then there’s how the NPCs chat with one another more realistically, how some of the perks sound incredibly useful (convincing police to forget about a crime you just committed), exploring dungeons with legitimately interesting environmental puzzles to suss out, missed spells leaving marks around the world, much improved local maps that make getting around much easier--the list goes on and on.

Destructoid said:
I decided to fight the soldiers. Unfortunately, after killing one of them, I got sucked into the ground underneath a bush and died. Oops.

As cool as it would be if Bethesda always shipped flawless games, it’s not something we’ve come to expect from them, and unfortunately, I don’t think Skyrim will be an exception. During my three hours with the game, I died three times from getting stuck in invisible holes in the ground. I don’t know if I played a final build of the game or not, but I’ll be extremely surprised if the retail version isn’t without a few glitches

;_;

oh well. i guess the 'sliding' glitch is still gonna be in there too :(

still getting the game but dear god i hope mods and patches fix these bugs quick. especially getting stuck and sliding, those are near game breakers for me.

Khezu

Spiffy_1st said:

Play a mage then, skyrim can't compete when it comes to melee, it does however have the upper hand in magical combat.

Top Bottom