• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim review thread. I think they're trying to say it's good.

Empty

flyinpiranha said:
That doesn't make sense. If the game is universally praised and people like it, isn't that a good thing?

You can blame "marketing" and "moneyhats" but almost every game that reviews really well (such as Skyrim) is usually because it's a really good game. I can't think of any game in years that got universal appraise that didn't deserve it.

i'm not really blaming either of those things in particular, my specific quarrel here is the dissonance between the range of review scores and the range of experiences regular players have with the game. i'd be fine with all 9s and 10s if everyone was going to absolutely love it, but i don't think that's going to happen, and i don't like seeing literal universal acclaim in the only guidance we have then not liking something and seeing others feel the same way afterwards.

reviews for mgs4 were as far as i remember exclusively in the 8-10 category, yet for many people it fell much below that yet they had no reason to expect it, similar things with gtaiv, mass effect 2, twilight princess. from what i see they just don't reflect a reasonable diversity of opinion on such a subjective experience, so much so that i end up getting more insight into games from a gaf lttp thread than i do from the entire professional field of games writing. that's not due to any greater skills in articulating what a game does well and not, though this can be the case, but because there's a greater breadth of experience.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Found this comment about PS3 vs 360 on another forum, for what it's worth:

I've had both versions for almost a week, and the 360 version does have a clear cut advantage when it comes to textures (the PS3 versions are less colorful and more blurry) and, particularly in exteriors, the PS3 version has noticeably reduced detail in foliage, less particles, and weaker fog effects. The difference isn't such that I wouldn't recommend the PS3 version, as it plays perfectly (I have over 5 hours clocked, and 19 on the 360 version) and still looks fantastic, however if you have the choice, the 360 is the better one. I've already likened it to the differences between Red Dead Redemption or Mafia II from one console to the other.

The 360 version also does NOT have a mandatory install (Not that an install bothers me, it doesn't) and installing did nothing noticeable to help performance (I did notice the texture streaming problem after installing, but it was cleared up with a patch). It also ships on one disc.

Holycrap, the game is ugly as sin on the Gametrailers review. All the textures are blurry. ALL of them oO.

Can't wait for the high res texture packs on the PC version. The ones released for Oblivion make the game look stunning even now.

ilnadmy said:
Found this comment about PS3 vs 360 on another forum, for what it's worth:
So the exact opposite of what that video showed? I wonder if they got the versions mixed up
lol.gif

pringles

Game seems to live up to expections.. I wish there was more than a week between it and Zelda, they both require my full attention and will have to share it :/

flyinpiranha said:
I can't think of any game in years that got universal appraise that didn't deserve it.
GTA IV..

JoeBoy101

RPS said:
Not only is Skyrim, for my money, the game of the year, but… oh this is hard. Very hard. I’m sorry Morrowind – I love you, but I don’t need you anymore. I think, at last, there is a new Best Elder Scrolls Ever.

Whoa.

I mean, I know I'm hyped like crazy for this game, but that's a pretty bold statement. I hope he's not overdoing it because I'm not sure I want to get my expectation that high.

That said, the implications of what he's saying is making my legs jelly.

ttocs

Choke on the Magic said:
I was going to wait for a sale, but... er does anyone know of any deals where I can get this for 49.99 or less? PC version.

It's a pretty big name game so you might be waiting a while. Why not just drop the additional 10 bucks instead of waiting? Just drive a little less this paycheck or pack a lunch or something.

ttocs said:
It's a pretty big name game so you might be waiting a while. Why not just drop the additional 10 bucks instead of waiting? Just drive a little less this paycheck or pack a lunch or something.

Also want AC Revelations, trying to be frugal..er, babies, etc.

v0mitg0d

Can I add mine to this thread too?

After 60+ hours, 577 saves and countless dragons slain I present to you my Skyrim Review. I tried to cover as much ground as I could with the time I had--hope you enjoy.

"It wasn’t until I ascended the frigid 7000 steps of the Throat of the World and made my way to the doorstep of High Hrothgar that I finally took a moment for myself. I stood there, gazing over the region atop the tallest mountain in the land thinking of my travels. I’d already ventured through several of the best dungeons Bethesda has ever made, looted relics from antiquated treasure chests, fiercely battled dragons and even visited a freezing Norse castle. But it wasn’t until this particular moment where from my rugged snowy perspective it hit me that Skyrim is a game that takes its time to show you all of it's riches. It’s an utterly fantastic experience that’s marred by only a few missteps."

http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2011/11/skyrim-reviewed.html

:)

ttocs

Choke on the Magic said:
Also want AC Revelations, trying to be frugal..er, babies, etc.

Haha. I understand.

What I do is sell my games I don't play anymore on Ebay. It sucks that I have to give them up but I'm able to play all the latest games. I keep the ones I'm super excited for like Gears and Skyrim but the rest (Rage, Ace Combat, etc.) I sell on Ebay for about 10 bucks less than I bought it for a couple weeks after buying it. It's a good way to support the habit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ttocs said:
Prime membership is like 20 bucks though if you don't have it.

I'm sure at least one GAFer has a Prime membership and would be willing to lend a hand.

JoeBoy101

PCGamer said:
While everyone else is faffing around with how to control and restrict the player, Bethesda just put a fucking country in a box. It’s the best open world game I’ve ever played, the most liberating RPG I’ve ever played, and one of my favourite places in this or any other world.

Whoa x2.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm getting this tonight but I can't touch this until I beat Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed. Oblivion stole over 200 hours of my life. I can't or I won't come back.

JoeBoy101

Hanmik said:
3bDIk.jpg

not unless my sixaxis has a new button.. lol.

What seems to be happening (or what is speculated) is that when you open the menu, the game goes low texture briefly in the background so the menu loads quickly. The bug is that when you come out of the menu, the textures don't go back. Clearing the HDD cache seems to help. I'd expect a patch fairly soon. In fact, Bethesda is already saying a release day patch will be there.

Jim Sterling/Destructoid said:
Preparing for a new Elder Scrolls game is like preparing to die. One must ensure they get all their worldly affairs in order, speak with the people who mean everything to them, and have a final meal. After all, once that disc goes in, the user may as well have departed from our mortal world.

I admit, this had me laughing.

ttocs

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm getting this tonight but I can't touch this until I beat Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed. Oblivion stole over 200 hours of my life. I can't or I won't come back.

Assassins Creed: Revelations? As in the game that doesn't come out until Tuesday?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ttocs said:
Assassins Creed: Revelations? As in the game that doesn't come out until Tuesday?

I suspect he wishes to clear his backlog so he can complete Skyrim without distraction. Uncharted 3 will lead into AC: Revelations which in turn will lead into Skyrim!

Empty said:
i'm not really blaming either of those things in particular, my specific quarrel here is the dissonance between the range of review scores and the range of experiences regular players have with the game. i'd be fine with all 9s and 10s if everyone was going to absolutely love it, but i don't think that's going to happen, and i don't like seeing literal universal acclaim in the only guidance we have then not liking something and seeing others feel the same way afterwards.

reviews for mgs4 were as far as i remember exclusively in the 8-10 category, yet for many people it fell much below that yet they had no reason to expect it, similar things with gtaiv, mass effect 2, twilight princess. from what i see they just don't reflect a reasonable diversity of opinion on such a subjective experience, so much so that i end up getting more insight into games from a gaf lttp thread than i do from the entire professional field of games writing. that's not due to any greater skills in articulating what a game does well and not, though this can be the case, but because there's a greater breadth of experience.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I think it has a lot to do with the "new" feeling also. When I jump into games and beat them for the first time I'm on "new game high" and that's when these reviews are written, but I also wonder if retrospect when looking at other's opinions doesn't tarnish that memory.

It's a tough call. While I'm kind of in the same boat as you where varying reviews would be good, it doesn't make sense to me if people that weren't going to like it either way judge it, although an "alternate viewpoint" article would be good now and then. "I don't really like RTS games but I found myself enjoying ...." type of thing.

I do like user impressions more-so than reviews for the most part, they are more honest but the hyperbole of "controls like shit" or "ugly as fuck" start to tarnish some of those quickly. Luckily that doesn't happen too often.

I often wonder what my view on games would be if I didn't read reviews or visit game sites. Because no matter how much we try, outside influence happens.

pringles said:

Again, universal praise and STILL in the top 10 games on Live played almost 3 years after release. While it was post-polarizing here on GAF (we are the 1%), many others loved the game and continue to play it more than a vast majority of games.

But this is going OT and I don't want it to go that route.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
PC Gamer: 94

Pretty good review. The hype train is probably out of control, but while we know the positives, what about the negatives?

One tweak is a huge loss, though: you can’t design your own spells. Oblivion’s spellmaking opened up so many clever possibilities – now you’re mostly restricted to what you can buy in shops.

While we’re on the negatives, physical combat hasn’t improved much. There are cinematic kill moves when your enemy is low on health, but whether they trigger seems to be either random or dependent on whether the pre-canned animation fits into the space you’re in. Too much of the time, you wave your weapon around and enemies barely react to the hits.

It fails where the previous games fail: it tries to make your mission feel epic by making it about a prophecy, then does all its exposition in the time-honoured format of old men giving you interminable lectures. The acting is stagey at best, painful at worst. And it adds a new problem: your dialogue choices are now written out in full, and your only options are to react like an incredulous schoolchild to every predictable development. It doesn’t make it easy to feel like a hero.

The main quests themselves are mostly good: a happy mix of secrecy, adventure, and exploring incredible new places. One location, which I won’t spoil, got an actual gasp. But then there’s an abysmal stealth mission that seems to work on a logic entirely its own: guards spot you from miles away, despite facing the wrong direction. And the boss dragons it keeps throwing at you never get any more interesting to fight – adding more hitpoints just makes the repetition even harder to ignore.

We got a review copy of Skyrim the day the game was officially finished, but it’s curiously buggy. Among a lot of minor problems such as issues reassigning controls, there’s glitchy character behaviour that can break quests, and AI flipouts that can turn a whole town against you. And the interface isn’t well adapted to PC: it sometimes ignores the position of your cursor in menus. There’s an update due as soon as the game’s out, but there’s a hell of a lot to patch here. Next time, maybe don’t commit to a specific release day just because it has a lot of elevens in it?

I guess it overcomes the negatives, but we shall see for ourselves eh?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JaseC said:
I suspect he wishes to clear his backlog so he can complete Skyrim without distraction. Uncharted 3 will lead into AC: Revelations which in turn will lead into Skyrim!

That only touches the tip of the backlog, but yes, you are correct!

I wish the girl didn't get into Two Worlds II, she would murder me if I kicked her off the PC after I got her into that to play this. I'm getting the 360 version and will probably double dip the PC version down the road on a sale after I buy a new monitor.

What's the history of Bethesda games dropping in price? Do they have staying power on Steam and such?

ttocs

JaseC said:
Ah, makes sense. I'm picking up AC but that game can wait!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damn, this is as good as I could have hoped. Many of the negatives are more subjective too.

Now I am hyped even more. But I can't really read lots of details and am skimming through lots of the pics to avoid being overly spoiled.

Top Bottom