• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ViewtifulJC said:
Why does it always become a battle of exaggerations on message board debates?
Because manchildren!
Boney said:
exactly, that's why people advocating for sucking out all the humanity in reviews rubs me the wrong way.

I see no reason for why he can't be excited to play the game.
I think there is a point for avoiding any semblance of impartiality towards the review-making process if solely because of the history of video game criticism, but actual deed shouldn't be taken as evidence of the sin itself.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Boney said:
exactly, that's why people advocating for sucking out all the humanity in reviews rubs me the wrong way.

I see no reason for why he can't be excited to play the game.

Heck, to be able to review a game, I think you already need a certain degree of passion for gaming.

Nintaiyo

Regulus Tera said:
An opinion cannot be impartial by definition. The problem is when opinions are swindled into one way by a third party. A reviewer liking a game series shouldn't necessarily be detrimental to his criticism of that particular game series as long as he can stay as close as possible to an objective viewpoint during his write-ups.

Good. We're in agreement. I guess I'm a bit more anal-retentive about such things.

Regulus Tera said:
That would be the classy argument to make.

:p

Codeblue

Totilo must not have played Spirit Tracks. The train was like a cleverly crafted transportation from Hell.

Just enough to where you can't get up and leave but not enough to make traveling remotely interesting. It forced you to be bored. Nothing can be worse than that.

Red

Codeblue said:
Totilo must not have played Spirit Tracks. The train was like a cleverly crafted transportation from Hell.

Just enough to where you can't get up and leave but not enough to make traveling remotely interesting. It forced you to be bored. Nothing can be worse than that.
At least with the boat, you could excuse yourself to go make a few sandwiches.

Lunar15

Xun said:
I found it absolutely frustrating to be honest.

It just feels tacked on, which can't be said for the rest of the controls.

Edit: You're probably right that it'll feel better when just casually flying around, but for the bird chase it was a pain.

Given that Tolito had (presumably) just started the game, I think he was definitely talking about the Bird Chase part as his "series low". And judging by the E3 footage, I can't say I disagree. I think it's a badly designed way to introduce someone to the flying mechanics. It looks comparable to the god-awful Goat Herding game at the beginning of TP, which was also a bad example of how horse riding would actually play out. But in the end, riding the horse around Hyrule was plenty of fun, and not nearly as bad as that first, horrible sequence.

My only hope is that, this is one of the few sour marks on the overall experience. Other reviewers seemed a little miffed by the flight at the beginning, and then it sounds like they forgot about any problems. I'm blaming this on the Bird Chase.

Crunched said:
At least with the boat, you could excuse yourself to go make a few sandwiches.

Screw that, for the five-ten minutes it took to sail from one place to another, I was hopping the fuck out of that boat. Hopping in time to the Great Sea theme...

I'm a loser.

Lunar15

Sometimes I feel sad that I'm probably the only person that thinks Spirit Tracks is the best Zelda game since MM.

Untitled-1.jpg

Red

Lunar15 said:
Sometimes I feel sad that I'm probably the only person that thinks Spirit Tracks is the best Zelda game since MM.

Untitled-1.jpg
It's got a good soundtrack. And it's not the worst looking DS game.

That's the best I got.

Lunar15

Crunched said:
It's got a good soundtrack. And it's not the worst looking DS game.

That's the best I got.

I'll take it. Not asking for anyone to declare it GOTY. At least you recognize that it DOES have a pretty awesome soundtrack.

ST had some really fun dungeon design, in my eyes. Really the train stuff was the only part I didn't like. I loved Zelda's characterization in it, and the dungeons were a treat.

Red

Lunar15 said:
I'll take it. Not asking for anyone to declare it GOTY. At least you recognize that it DOES have a pretty awesome soundtrack.
The overworld theme is one of the best in the series.

Lunar15 said:
The best since Wind Waker for my taste.

And Tower of Spirits had some really great puzzles.

You think that's bad? I think Phantom Hourglass is the best handheld Zelda period, with Minish Cap being no. 2. LA is fourth, with oracle of Seasons being third.

List wars gogogo

Welp, this thread eventually had to start posting spoilers I guess. Sigh. Time to bail, catch you guys after I'm finished this game.

Like the hat? said:
You think that's bad? I think Phantom Hourglass is the best handheld Zelda period, with Minish Cap being no. 2. LA is fourth, with oracle of Seasons being third.

List wars gogogo
Something died inside me.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Were a lot of reviewers saying this about TP? I mean the best 3D Zelda game ever. I feel like some were at least.
Yeah, I clearly remember multiple reviewers claiming TP was the best Zelda game everrrrr. hah.

Time to temper expectations.

KrawlMan

zigg said:
I remember lots of people sucking at this at E3—literally, standing in line was painful to watch—and then I got up and nailed it first try, and quickly too. There's nothing wrong with the section, only the players who can't deal with it.

I'm happy for you. And guess what, I also knocked out those sections of the game handily, but the experience wasn't terribly fun.

If "lots of people" were sucking at it, that should be a pretty big flag that something about that method of control is flawed or difficult to grasp.

Meikiyou

Like the hat? said:

List wars gogogo
My tastes would go close to that. PH>MC>LA>OoA>OoS>ST>FS

Boney

Banned
timetokill said:
ST had some really fun dungeon design, in my eyes. Really the train stuff was the only part I didn't like. I loved Zelda's characterization in it, and the dungeons were a treat.
I'll say it anytime I can, but I absolutely loathed Phantom Zelda mechanic. Absolutely ruined the whole pacing of the game.

Worst Zelda ever.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Yeah, I clearly remember multiple reviewers claiming TP was the best Zelda game everrrrr. hah.

Or maybe some of them honestly think so. I think it's at least the best 3D Zelda. I certainly don't think they're misguided for saying that. It's not like Twilight Princess was some awful game that makes people who liked it sound ridiculous with irrelevant opinions.

oatmeal

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
Screw that, for the five-ten minutes it took to sail from one place to another, I was hopping the fuck out of that boat. Hopping in time to the Great Sea theme...

I'm a loser.

That was me, too.

Lunar15

I am okay with all of these opinions. Such is your life when you really like Spirit Tracks. I'm in no place to argue with anyone else's ideas of good zelda taste.

Poyunch

Boney said:
I'll say it anytime I can, but I absolutely loathed Phantom Zelda mechanic. Absolutely ruined the whole pacing of the game.

Worst Zelda ever
No that would be Twilight Princess Zelda. She did nothing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
brandonh83 said:
Or maybe some of them honestly think so. I think it's at least the best 3D Zelda. I certainly don't think they're misguided for saying that. It's not like Twilight Princess was some awful game that makes people who liked it sound ridiculous with irrelevant opinions.

shameful

Ok i'll stop now :p

brandonh83 said:
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that these reviewers' opinions of TP are irrelevant, I just mean to say pre-release hype has a tendency to be....hyperbolic. lol

Boney said:

Worst Zelda ever.

Aw, I really enjoyed it, personally. Added a new touch to the dungeon puzzles. IT was the first Zelda in a while where I actually had to stop and think about a few puzzles.

In my eyes, Phantom Hourglass fails to be as "good" as Minish Cap for three reasons: 1) the side-quests (Kinstones) are more tangible and rewarding; 2) the 'regular' dungeons are more inventive (PH dungeons, not counting the Ocean King's Temple, were incredibly simple to me, and I'm not usually someone who complains about Zelda difficulty); and most importantly, 3) PH utterly wastes the character development of Wind Waker.

This frustrated me the most, I think: in Majora's Mask, I felt Link's change, however subtle: he was a young boy who had already undergone great trials and lost his childish naivety as a result. PH Link, even though he stabbed a 300-year-old sorcerer in the head before the gods washed away the land of his ancestors, continues to act like, well, a child. I feel like my experience with Wind Waker was shortchanged as a result. Really, PH should never have been a sequel to Wind Waker - it's an okay game in its own right, but poor in comparison to its predecessor, in terms of dungeons design, characters (with the exception of Linebeck), story, villain, etc., etc.

Minish Cap had a lame villain, but fun cameos, a cool sidekick hat, rewarding side-quests, pleasing 2D graphics and didn't have any expectations that could be crushed. But that's just me.

pramath

Banned
Lunar15 said:

Untitled-1.jpg
The only thing that was good about it was the music. The music was gorgeous in that game.
I only wish the rest of the game had not been as God awful as it eventually turned out to be.

Socreges

Banned
By the way,

I'd like to use this thread to argue that Link's Awakening is among the worst Zeldas. I've beat the first two dungeons and travelled the overworld a fair amount. I'm not terribly impressed. The dialogue scroll is annoying as fuck (and often pops up repeatedly when I've already heard the message a hundred times), the item/equipment management is clunky and tiresome, the areas are even smaller than I thought (ie, the squares on the map). The game isn't unplayable by any means, but it sure is tedious and annoying. I was afraid that the primitive design would hurt the experience and it definitely does for me.

Thankfully the items and dungeons are fun. But at this point it's far too easy for me to stop playing and not return for days.

Codeblue

I thought the puzzles were pretty inventive and cool. Exploration is about half the fun for me, so ST and PH felt hollow outside of dungeons.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Green Scar said:
Link's on a kangaroo

WHAT IS THIS

That's awesome mang and it's even more awesome watching someone playing this game when he knows what he's doing.

Speedrunning a Zelda game? ...some crazy people live on this planet.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that these reviewers' opinions of TP are irrelevant, I just mean to say pre-release hype has a tendency to be....hyperbolic. lol

Perhaps. But the problem is that everyone is going to see the comments and scores as hyperbolic if they're at all positive. I don't think they should have to pretend to like the product less just so that they can be taken more "seriously."

Socreges said:
By the way,

I'd like to use this thread to argue that Link's Awakening is among the worst Zeldas. I've beat the first two dungeons and travelled the overworld a fair amount. I'm not terribly impressed. The dialogue scroll is annoying as fuck (and often pops up repeatedly when I've already heard the message a hundred times), the item/equipment management is clunky and tiresome, the areas are even smaller than I thought (ie, the squares on the map). The game isn't unplayable by any means, but it sure is tedious and annoying. I was afraid that the primitive design would hurt the experience and it definitely does for me.

Thankfully the items and dungeons are fun. But at this point it's far too easy for me to stop playing and not return for days.

Sounds like you're letting the perspective of a modern gamer get in the way. Consider that this was one of the first games of its kind for the Gameboy. The freakin' Gameboy!

Sn4ke_911 said:
That's awesome mang and it's even more awesome watching someone playing this game when he knows what he's doing.

Speedrunning a Zelda game? ...some crazy people live on this planet.

Oh yes, it's definitely awesome, I've just never seen it before. Oracles looks cool.

Top Bottom