• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

maeda

People! How the fuck does the upgrade and quest system work in this game? I am starting to get worried that Nintendo added some shitty,useless RPG elements in. :(

hyduK

Banned
Kazerei said:
Zelda cycle complete.

Twilight Princess's motion controls were terrible and obviously tacked on. And now it's great? Oh man :\
I think he's saying that they weren't really good or necessary in either game, but in TP you could get away with just flicking your wrist constantly. Now you have to mindfully participate in them.

It's a valid complaint, and one that won't matter if you happen to like the controls. But for those of us that would rather have had a controller, well yeah.

Rehynn

Kazerei said:
Zelda cycle complete.

Twilight Princess's motion controls were terrible and obviously tacked on. And now it's great? Oh man :\

The sword "follows you too well".

Well, there you go.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Spiffy_1st said:

A perfectly balanced mix of innovation and classic Zelda gameplay, Skyward Sword truly lives up to the Zelda legacy of excellence and offers the most variety of any Zelda game to date. Its swordplay and puzzles are some of the best in the series, and seeing Link and Zelda's first story chronologically is a treat for longtime fans.

This sounds like a 10

EmCeeGramr said:
Huh, not surprised by Patrick's score but... the text is weird. He's a good reporter, but whenever it comes to criticism on the Bombcast or a Quick Look I've always had trouble figuring out what the heck he's trying to say. He's very vague and tends to argue from gut feelings and sometimes ends up contradicting himself.

the last paragraph is really poor.

reektann

I've been taking reviews with a pinch of salt lately. I find that the reviewer doesn't play a game in the way a normal person would. They either absolutely rush through it to hit a deadline ( not entirely their fault ) so various part of the game may seem more repetitive than if you played in 2-3 hour blocks, like I usually do. Also, I've seen a couple of these chaps reviewing Zelda saying "finished Zelda.. now I can get back to Skyrim" .. It just sounds like they didn't really want to be in that world and wanted to blitz through it to get back to Skyrim.

I think, like most, I rely more on the thoughts from dudes on Gaf.

Still - on average, it does sound like a great Zelda game :)

kunonabi

Stopped reading the EGM review at the Zelda/Other M comparison. So far nothing seems worth worrying about. I like fetch quests in Zelda apart from the Skulltula/poe nonsense and I don't mind the harp being a bit of a throw away. I personally think Zelda games should have dropped this obsession with musical instruments years ago. I am pissed about the Iron Knuckle issue. We finally get a worthy successor to Zelda II's combat and they leave them out? I call bullshit on that.

cajunator

Banned
Wait a minute though...Im always aware that I'm holding a controller...that doesn't make much sense. Especially when, like for example, in Uncharted3 when there are button prompts right there on the screen...
Why are people so averse to motion controls? I don't get it.
There are maybe a handful of Wii games I had control issues with. Red Steel proved that the tech can work and really well.

Lakitu

st5fu
hyduK said:
Worse than WW? That's the most alarming thing in this thread.

IGN calls it best Zelda game ever, gamesradar says worst console Zelda ever...who to believe.

Um, Wind Waker is incredible.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Im surprised some reviews say it is the best Zelda game ever while others seem to bring some legitimate issues that worry me:

linear
tedious fetch quests (after the god awful spirit track fetch quests i am not surprised)
upgrading items meaningless because the game is so easy.

seems to me that the game takes some steps in the right direction and some steps back.

Poyunch

Hah I was never part of the Ghirahim hype. He was weird but I didn't think he had the potential to be a good villain. Also it's expected that water controls would suck. Nothing in the Zelda series will ever be as good as the Zora Mask.

ksamedi

This is pretty much what Eatchildren has been predicting. A divide in people who like the Wii and motion controls and those who don't. For me its a sign this will be the best Zelda ever :)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
TSA said:
DISCLAIMER: This is not an official review of any kind, with no score value attached.

If it doesn't contribute to Metacritic, does it make a sound? ::dismisses with the flick of a white-gloved hand::

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
cheatcc - 5/5
http://www.cheatcc.com/wii/rev/thelegendofzeldaskywardswordreview.html#.Trze-1ZplmL

Graphics
These are some of the best graphics I have ever seen on the Wii.
Control
The Wii has finally found a game to show off why we were so excited about motion controls.
Music / Sound FX / Voice Acting
A beautiful score for a beautiful world.
Play Value
This is what we wanted Twilight Princess to be.
Overall Rating - The Best

amtentori said:
Im surprised some reviews say it is the best Zelda game ever while others seem to bring some legitimate issues that worry me:

linear
tedious fetch quests (after the god awful spirit track fetch quests i am not surprised)
upgrading items meaningless because the game is so easy.

seems to me that the game takes some steps in the right direction and some steps back.
Maybe because previous games had other issues and less awesome features? And also maybe people have different weighing systems?

For one, this is GamesRadar point:

--- You'll love
Great swordplay and environmental puzzles
Seeing the beginning of the timeline
Bonus soundtrack!

--- You'll hate
Sometimes fiddly motion controls
Ghirahim, because he's evil
Waiting for a truly HD Zelda

2nd and 3rd cons is hilarious; and 1 should be balanced with the 'great swordplay'; what I have played from the demo, control is excellent.

Darryl

Banned
well, so much for SS being the game of the generation

still quite excited to play though, i don't know how much i can agree with a lot of the criticism so i'm sure i'll still love it

PounchEnvy said:
Hah I was never part of the Ghirahim hype. He was weird but I didn't think he had the potential to be a good villain. Also it's expected that water controls would suck. Nothing in the Zelda series will ever be as good as the Zora Mask.
For whatever it's worth, that "con" list isn't saying you'll hate him because he's a bad villain, but you'll hate him like you hate villains.

guek

Banned
guys guys guys guys

really...the range of reviews falling anywhere between 8 and 10 should tell you a whole lot about what to expect from this game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
http://www.gamesradar.com/legend-zelda-skyward-sword-review/?page=2

You'll love
Great swordplay and environmental puzzles
Seeing the beginning of the timeline
Bonus soundtrack!

You'll hate
Sometimes fiddly motion controls
Ghirahim, because he's evil
Waiting for a truly HD Zelda

Wow @ the 'you'll hate list. I mean, really? They fucking struggled to add another 2 bullet points after the 1st.

Wait....what?!?
Is this 2007 again?!?

I won't mention names but it seems awfully interesting to me that some of the bigger titles released get passes for controls while Zelda doesn't.

Seems the combat is even better in Zelda than these games but maybe the ones harping on the controls(seems only a few) didn't review those other games.

Orayn

I currently see eight sub-90 scores, most of which are from sites that will have low weight on Metacritic. Say what you will, but the Metascore will still be pretty damn high from all the big-name 100s.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God, I can't wait for this game.

maeda

Will we ever get a Zelda game with a fully seamless world? Just a huge labyrinth with no loading screens, with a completely muddled overworld/ dungeon structure?

Jb

Somewhere someone at Bethesda is already preparing the shelf on which will be displayed their goty awards.
I am genuinely sad that SS doesn't seem to be a return to the glory days of the franchise. Of course I'll have to play it myself to confirm it, but I can't remember a console Zelda being thisdivisive.

Top Bottom