• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Seems like the scores are all over the place. I'll be reading the ones that gave the game a 10. They better have arguments to back that shit up.

Branduil

cajunator said:
The only reason I am pissed off right now is because reviewers got to play this game and I haven't touched it yet.
I will rage on for another 9 days.
This is what we should all be raging about.

gamefaqs boards are too tame. Am disappoint.

No one threating to burn off Klepek's hair... yet.

God I love GB's 5 star rating scale with no halves. It does seem to be designed to troll the internetz if a game doesn't feel like a 5 lol.

dc89

Thank God I'll be at work when morning rolls around in America. The rage... GAF will not know what's hit it.

But seriously, any Zelda player KNOWS this game will be fantastic. Don't let numbers upset you.

Nintaiyo

DefectiveReject said:
I'm not criticising the scores in this thread as opinions are opinions.

I don't like though is out of 5 or out of 10 scoring for any game.
I mean the difference between 4 and 5 out of 5 is massive.

Good. You shouldn't care about Metacritic anyway.

Instro

hyduK said:
Large, empty world?
Boring fetch quest?
The worst, easiest, dungeons in the series? Two of which require you to carry someone around the whole time?

The combat was actually decent though.
This is so true, at least for 3D Zeldas anyway. Twilight Princess on the other hand has the best dungeon design out of the 3d games imo.

Big One

Banned
oatmeal said:
Amazing impressions TSA...better than any review I've read so far.

And you definitely hit on a lot of things that I was worried about (Tears, backtracking, etc.)

Well, I can now say "I can wait for this game."
You can't be serious, most of TSA's impressions are hyperbolic crap especially his rants about Ghirahim, the stamina, warp system, and dungeon music

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Medalion said:
This has got to be the lowest rated console Zelda I've seen...ever

And yet I still want to play it, what is wrong with me?

It's the first real Zelda game in five years?

Even if it were truly awful I'd still want to check it out, and see what's become of my beloved franchise. That it's scoring highly (yes, 8/10 is still high!) makes it all the better.

GCX said:
So is it time to start praising Twilight Princess?
Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game I finished, so I probably value it more than others. I played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask when I was like 7 or 8, but never got close to finishing them.

Since then I've played and completed more Zelda games, but still have yet to finish Majora's Mask. Let's get on that 3DS version Nintendo.

bananas

Banned
I bet if the Uncharted 3 fanboys didn't get their public, humiliating shame brought upon them for their ridiculous, childlike temper tantrums, this thread would probably be worse.

ivysaur12

Banned
hyduK said:
Large, empty world?
Boring fetch quest?
The worst, easiest, dungeons in the series? Two of which require you to carry someone around the whole time?

The combat was actually decent though.

Complete sense of adventure while exploring a huge overworld. One small fetch quest that took up almost no time. Some of the most interesting items in a Zelda game (bring back the Deku Leaf) Some great boss fights. The best story in a Zelda game. Bar none. One of the most impressive atmospheres in a game. A great hub world (Windfall Island). And I loved the Earth and Wind Temple.

Second best 3D Zelda. MM > WW > OoT > TP. And I stand by that.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
When it comes down to it, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Batman and Skyrim will all get Game of the Year(s).

Maybe some other games as well but not as much.

portal 2 bitch!

VGA's.... I'm calling skyrim.

Kai

Meh - this is still gonna easily end up with over a 90 Metacritic. The reviews for this honestly seem to coincide with the explosion of media, blog's and information flow now then over the last 5-10 years with WW and TP.

We still have a handful of perfect scores and a handful of sub-90 scores - plus two heavy hitters haven't posted yet - GameSpot and Gametrailers.

Overall - its pretty much what I expected. The era of warship is over - to be honest - thought it was over with the backlash after GTAIV....

TheChaos

The First Two Dungeons
Absolutely cookie cutter design, boring puzzles, and almost no personality. They're also incredibly short - some of the shortest dungeons I've ever seen in a 3D Zelda game.

Yikes. And since there are only
dungeons in the game...

PounchEnvy said:
Shut ya face.

Wind Waker is unfinished. It has the worst dungeons of the 3D games, and it doesn't have many of them. It has the Triforce quest. It has an overworld where it takes you 10 seconds to CHANGE DIRECTION.

It's a good game, and I love a lot about it, but it's flawed in ways Twilight Princess isn't. TP is much more consistent, and is a pretty much perfect refinement of Ocarina of Time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Instro said:
This is so true, at least for 3D Zeldas anyway. Twilight Princess on the other hand has the best dungeon design out of the 3d games imo.
Wait, what? Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree. MM had the best dungeon design from the 3d games. PERIOD.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
There's two sides to the coin of people wanting a game to "save" a storied series and sometimes it lands on "OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED"

Camineet reference?

Goldmund

I don't think anyone at Giant Bomb (except maybe Brad "5 stars" Shoemaker) would have rated Zelda higher, Jeff maybe even lower.

bananas said:
I bet if the Uncharted 3 fanboys didn't get their public, humiliating shame brought upon them for their ridiculous, childlike temper tantrums, this thread would probably be worse.

Agreed.

So far it's pretty sane, but after the public humiliation UC3's review thread got, I can't imagine too many willingly putting themselves out there for such ridicule.

Orayn

bananas said:
I think this will actually become a recursive loop of Zelda fans sitting around being kind of grumpy about low scores, bracing themselves for a surge of idiots from other communities, while other communities are doing exactly the same thing.

Mistle

As a Zelda fan, we are getting a game that is universally praised (actually read the reviews, guys) with a scores betweens 8 and 10. It has cons but they vary from reviewer to reviewer, indicating that they're subjective (apart from fetch quests, i guess lol). Motion controls seem to be the biggest divider, and apart from small nitpicks, I like them.

All I know is, judging from how brilliant the game looks, and how I have loved all console Zeldas so far, SS will be an amazing game and I cannot wait.

scitek

Feep said:
I'd do a bigger warning. You tell people
what the three areas are, that there are time mechanics, that you reenter the Skyview Temple
, and some other stuff. I'd go a general marking near the top.

I've never understood G4's scoring system. For example, Sessler gave No More Heroes a 5/5, then in the review for NMH 2, it was stated to be superior in practically every way, then it got 4/5. Maybe those were two different reviewers. Will your review be used for X-Play?

AniHawk

Socreges said:
Can anyone explain to me what that last sentence means?
zelda shouldn't have to change to be great, but the series as it used to be wasn't good enough anymore, so that's worrying.

_Alkaline_ said:
Agreed.

So far it's pretty sane, but after the public humiliation UC3's review thread got, I can't imagine too many willingly putting themselves out there for such ridicule.

Well the difference is SS seems to be very different to TP. At the risk of giving people too much credit, it sounds like a lot of complaints may be valid.

Uncharted 3 is Uncharted 2 Die Harder. People know what it "should" get.

Sn4ke_911 said:
TSA do you know when the GT review will be up?

I know it's still being worked on, but I can't give you anymore specifics because I honestly don't know. I also have no idea how it will turn out, but you can get some insight from the episode of Invisible Walls going up later this afternoon (early impressions from Shane, who is reviewing the game). I also give some of my feedback, though I don't think I articulated my issues very well on the show.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the only review that I felt was reviewing the Wii and not the game was Gamepro's.

Otherwise, eh. Dudes likes different things. If this game had come out in 2006, I daresay it probably would be considered differently. There's two sides to the coin of people wanting a game to "save" a storied series and sometimes it lands on "OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED" and other times it is "TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE."

Try this, GAF. Take all the scores out of these reviews in your head. Do you think the things they talk about will affect you, positively or negatively, when you play the game?
The thing is Alberto, there are reviews that say control is amazing, and there are some that say you'll 'hate' the control.

Whether you like it or not, you can't be much reasonable in the way you said when the reviews are like this.

ivysaur12

Banned
butter_stick said:
Wind Waker is unfinished. It has the worst dungeons of the 3D games, and it doesn't have many of them. It has the Triforce quest. It has an overworld where it takes you 10 seconds to CHANGE DIRECTION.

It's a good game, and I love a lot about it, but it's flawed in ways Twilight Princess isn't. TP is much more consistent, and is a pretty much perfect refinement of Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Princess has fun dungeons, one or two really well-done ones, and one of the worst out of dungeon experiences in a Zelda game.

Wind Waker has one bad dungeon, a few good ones, and one really well-done one (Temple of the Gods). It had the best out of dungeon stuff besides Majora's Mask.

cajunator

Banned
butter_stick said:

I love the dungeons in Wind Waker all of them. Especially the forest one and the Wind temple.

I don't remember TP or WW, even with its higher overall review scores, ever being claimed as "the best Zelda game ever made" from reviewers.

While a few reviews for Skyward Sword are claiming that this game is the best Zelda game ever made.

It's very odd.

ivysaur12 said:
Complete sense of adventure while exploring a huge overworld. One small fetch quest that took up almost no time. Some of the most interesting items in a Zelda game (bring back the Deku Leaf) Some great boss fights. The best story in a Zelda game. Bar none. One of the most impressive atmospheres in a game. A great hub world (Windfall Island). And I loved the Earth and Wind Temple.

Words like atmosphere, adventure, etc...I get it, and I can relate to it somewhat, but in the end they merely hide the numerous (and criticial) game issues found within WW.

I'm not going to tell someone they shouldn't like it, but sometimes I sense some people give the game an easier ride because it's pretty.

bananas said:
Meh, having multiple reviews score in the 8 range probably helps too. There's only so many people you can claim were molested as children before it just gets ridiculous, after all!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
scitek said:
I've never understood G4's scoring system. For example, Sessler gave No More Heroes a 5/5, then in the review for NMH 2, it was stated to be superior in practically every way, then it got 4/5. Maybe those were two different reviewers. Will your review be used for X-Play?
Usually this is caused by changing standards.

Many people say that Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and Resistance 3 are the best in the series, but none of them have the highest Metacritic rating.

Top Bottom