• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

scitek

Goldmund said:
I don't think anyone at Giant Bomb (except maybe Brad "5 stars" Shoemaker) would have rated Zelda higher, Jeff maybe even lower.

No, but we would have been able to make out what the fuck they were saying.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
chickdigger802 said:
gamefaqs boards are too tame. Am disappoint.

No one threating to burn off Klepek's hair... yet.

God I love GB's 5 star rating scale with no halves. It does seem to be designed to troll the internetz if a game doesn't feel like a 5 lol.
Nah, Klepek's review was too positive. I imagine the fanboys are going to siege EGM and 1up instead.

Medalion said:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, not on a next-gen system, waggle

8/10

Ok

Some of the design choices in the game sound pretty bad.

It's not going to stop me buying it, but we're really not in a position to dismiss opinions in that way. The reviews have made me concerned in some respects because there seems to be a lot of what I don't like in Zelda in this game

chickdigger802 said:
portal 2 bitch!

VGA's.... I'm calling skyrim.

Yeah, Portal 2 will get some or a few but my brother was disappointed in it despite loving the first one.

He still think it's a very good game but I guess it's hard to top such originality and impact.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
TSA said:
I know it's still being worked on, but I can't give you anymore specifics because I honestly don't know. I also have no idea how it will turn out, but you can get some insight from the episode of Invisible Walls going up later this afternoon (early impressions from Shane, who is reviewing the game). I also give some of my feedback, though I don't think I articulated my issues very well on the show.

Oh my god. No, please no.

I'm kidding.

wrowa

My favorite 3D Zelda is Majoras Mask. MM is the least acclaimed 3D game by critics.

Let's see whether or not Skyward will be a similar case for me!

oatmeal

Banned
Big One said:
You can't be serious, most of TSA's impressions are hyperbolic crap especially his rants about Ghirahim, the stamina, warp system, and dungeon music

Who are you again?

TSA knows his Zelda.

A sparse overworld is a big problem. TWW had the same issue, big in size, not in content.

Ghirahim has been a joke since day one, he's terrible in the demo, I know he'll be back in the full game.

Tears sequence with stealth? Stealth has always been the worst parts of Zelda (See Forsaken Fortress). Not surprised this will be the same.

Truth101

Banned
oatmeal said:
Who are you again?

TSA knows his Zelda.

A sparse overworld is a big problem. TWW had the same issue, big in size, not in content.

Ghirahim has been a joke since day one, he's terrible in the demo, I know he'll be back in the full game.

Tears sequence with stealth? Stealth has always been the worst parts of Zelda (See Forsaken Fortress). Not surprised this will be the same.

Forsaken Fortress was great. I love my Zelda Stealth.

Kazerei said:
Have you guys been F5ing the metacritic page every minute or something? ;)

Haha, I've only checked it once, but only 6 reviews were up then.

ivysaur12

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Words like atmosphere, adventure, etc...I get it, and I can relate to it somewhat, but in the end they merely hide the numerous (and criticial) game issues found within WW.

I'm not going to tell someone they shouldn't like it, but sometimes I sense some people give the game an easier ride because it's pretty.

It's missing two dungeons. Fair. The first trip to the Forsaken Fortress.

Had some great sidequests, some a great overworld (I stand by that), great NPCs, great combat, great dungeons, and great items.

It's not about the game being pretty. The fact that it was so well put together without being finished as originally anticipated is breathtaking.

cajunator

Banned
Nirolak said:
Usually this is caused by changing standards.

Many people say that Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and Resistance 3 are the best in the series, but none of them have the highest Metacritic rating.
Uncharted 3 is definitely a step down from 2.
Many people agree on this right in the thread.
It is still a really good game though, which is kind of the point here.

Feep

Banned
scitek said:
I've never understood G4's scoring system. For example, Sessler gave No More Heroes a 5/5, then in the review for NMH 2, it was stated to be superior in practically every way, then it got 4/5. Maybe those were two different reviewers. Will your review be used for X-Play?
I don't like it, to be honest. I probably would have rolled 4.5/5 if I were able.

I don't know about X-Play, but it's probable.

ivysaur12 said:
Wind Waker has one bad dungeon, a few good ones, and one really well-done one (Temple of the Gods). It had the best out of dungeon stuff besides Majora's Mask.

Ohhh, woops, I didn't realise you were taking the piss. My mistake.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
wrowa said:
My favorite 3D Zelda is Majoras Mask. MM is the least acclaimed 3D game by critics.

Let's see whether or not Skyward will be a similar case for me!
I agree with you. Anyone who says TP had the best dungeon design in the series needs to clearly go back and play MM.

oatmeal

Banned
Truth101 said:
Forsaken Fortress was great. I love my Zelda Stealth.

Haha, I've only checked it once, but only 6 reviews were up then.

Personally, I didn't.

Regardless, I do look forward to the 'quest' system. I liked doing that shit in Oblivion, too.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
TSA said:
The Overworld
Now that I've seen what Aonuma said recently, it all makes sense. Skyward Sword's overworld was designed like a Mario game, but without everything that makes a Mario level great. Each zone of the three major regions is like a course in a 3D Mario game, but take away all the cool and fun objectives and the sense of being in a virtual play ground. If you're going to curtail the overworld by killing the large, seamless nature that's been enjoyed since Zelda 1 (and only eschewed in a few spin-offs), you need to give us more "density". Most of these zones are barren and bland, with few real objectives other than the essential task at hand.
This sounds legitimately disappointing for me. I've always preferred the exploration aspect of the series over the dungeon crawling, so it's pretty disappointing to hear it's putting emphasis on the latter.

Oh well, not going dissuade me from playing the game, still excited as hell for it!

walking fiend said:
The thing is Alberto, there are reviews that say control is amazing, and there are some that say you'll 'hate' the control.

Whether you like it or not, you can't be much reasonable in the way you said when the reviews are like this.
A lot of that probably comes down to how the reviewer themselves felt about motion controls before they ever walked in.

I don't want to pick on Patrick's review, especially because he said he did like the controls and likes the game, but opening his review with "The only game you've actually wanted to sit down and play on the Wii!" kind of colors the entire tone from thereon.

Not to say the spread in opinion has nothing to do with the game, but people can probably try to match up the reviews with how they feel about the things they're talking about to try and figure out who they agree with.

I suspect those that dislike motion controls will find EGM's review more enlightening than someone who has admitted to liking them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is the Gamepro review spoiler-free for the most part? I don't want to read IGN's because I barely know anything about the game and I get the feeling they might spoil stuff for me.

Errr... going back to Feep's post, I'm afraid to read Patrick's review based on some of the stuff that he apparently spoiled.

Some of these reviews have justified their scores, though. They all seem to have reasonable complaints. 80-100% scores are still great, and the reviewers, for the most part, justify their scores well within the text. And some of them like motion controls and others don't. *shrug* The bottom line is that the most valuable opinion when it comes to a game--any game--is yours.

Why are people saying "the previous games got a better score but this is a better game" or something to that effect?

Standards change over time....If you like the game forget the score.

hyduK

Banned
chickdigger802 said:
Wait... who's TSA? Is he the 'voice' of GT reviews or is that someone else?
Used to speedrun Zelda games...had the record for OoT and LttP(?). Helped find sequence breakers and time savers in pretty much all of them.

Pappasman

ivysaur12 said:
It's missing two dungeons. Fair. The first trip to the Forsaken Fortress.

Had some great sidequests, some a great overworld (I stand by that), great NPCs, great combat, great dungeons, and great items.

It's not about the game being pretty. The fact that it was so well put together without being finished as originally anticipated is breathtaking.

great music too.

Remember guys, hype deflation (even though at that point is stupid because the reviews are good) is only a good thing. After reading these reviews, seeing some new footage, and finally getting a better grasp of how the game seems to be designed and laid out, I'm feeling very good about it.

I'd like to comment very briefly about the more "linear" and compact level design in Skyward.

Just for a moment, let's go back and look at the original, let's look at A Link to the Past. At the time these games came out, they felt very large in scope, but they actually weren't. ALTTP didn't have a vast overworld. It's just that the top-down view with the very limited space, combined with several other factors made it feel huge and epic.

Zelda was never Elder Scrolls. Zelda is Zelda. Zelda's strengths come from its atmosphere, its game design, the puzzles, the enemy and boss encounters-- now look at these reviews and see what they're saying about those things. Most reviews are gushing about these aspects.

AniHawk

this needed to happen to skyward sword, to uncharted 3, and to whatever 360 game was coming out, so that we would all come together and embrace our savior, rayman origins.

o praise thee, rayman origins, and deliver us from mediocrity

boiled goose

good with gravy
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I don't remember TP or WW, even with its higher overall review scores, ever being claimed as "the best Zelda game ever made" from reviewers.

While a few reviews for Skyward Sword are claiming that this game is the best Zelda game ever made.

It's very odd.

agreed. that is what i find odd.
A lot of the criticisms seem to be fair and would hold it back from 'best zelda ever' types of claims.
maybe the highs are quite high?

scitek

Nirolak said:
Usually this is caused by changing standards.

Many people say that Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and Resistance 3 are the best in the series, but none of them have the highest Metacritic rating.

Sessler did a soapbox explaining why he gave NMH a 5/5, and it was simply because of how crazy it was and he felt we needed more games like it. I thought it was just an example of, "Cuz it's my show!" It's just when you do that, it blows your critical consistency all to hell.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Feep said:
I don't like it, to be honest. I probably would have rolled 4.5/5 if I were able.

I don't know about X-Play, but it's probable.

Wait what, you wrote the review for G4?

Huh, what do you know.

cajunator

Banned
Also, why do people get upset is Skyrim gets a higher score? People will remember Zelda games long after Elder Scroll games are irrelevant. such is thep ower of the franchise and what it means to fans. Were people this upset when Uncharted 2 got higher scores than Zelda TP (it did, right?)

Truth101

Banned
Feep said:
No snow or ice.

Yes, I hate those dungeons always.

cajunator said:
Also, why do people get upset is Skyrim gets a higher score? People will remember Zelda games long after Elder Scroll games are irrelevant. such is thep ower of the franchise and what it means to fans. Were people this upset when Uncharted 2 got higher scores than Zelda TP (it did, right?)

I don't think anyone has gotten upset Skyrim scored higher.

Medalion

Banned
Hadn't thought of it that way

some of my most fave Zelda games were ones not critically loved in the beginning like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker

so let's bring the pain

AniHawk said:
this needed to happen to skyward sword, to uncharted 3, and to whatever 360 game was coming out, so that we would all come together and embrace our savior, rayman origins.

o praise thee, rayman origins, and deliver us from mediocrity
All hail.

jackdoe

butter_stick said:
You are my enemy and I will crush you.
Haha. How anyone can like the Zelda stealth gameplay is beyond me. I wanted to smash my 3DS into the ground when I played Gerudo Fortress again in OoT 3D.

Top Bottom