• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

hyduK

Banned
cajunator said:
Also, why do people get upset is Skyrim gets a higher score? People will remember Zelda games long after Elder Scroll games are irrelevant. such is thep ower of the franchise and what it means to fans. Were people this upset when Uncharted 2 got higher scores than Zelda TP (it did, right?)
UC2 has the same metacritic as TP (the superior version).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It will be interesting, however, to see how the eventual Zelda Wii U is received. Will it get inflated scores because it uses "traditional" controls and has HD graphics?

But that's five years off so best not to think about it. :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What a fucking disappointment.

What the hell happened to Zelda? I remember the days when a new zelda would come out and the internet would go aflame at an 8.8 score. Now we get multiple eights and not a single death threat? A B+, and no fat jokes either? Nintendo fans should just pack it up and give up, Zelda fanboyism is dead.

In conclusion, Uncharted 3 > Skyward Sword

LOCK

The most important review of this game will be the Gaf collective... so yeah.

GOTY rankings should be fun this year.

Crewnh said:
Patrick's favourite Zelda is Majora's Mask

Ohhh, thanks that helps me completely ignore his review for this one then. No, I'm not trying to be some dramatic ass about it, but I really can't stand Majora's Mask so clearly Klepek's opinions/taste in Zelda differ greatly from mine is all.

TheChaos

kayos90 said:
I agree with you. Anyone who says TP had the best dungeon design in the series needs to clearly go back and play MM.

Stone Temple, yes. The other dungeons...no. The swamp dungeon was assy.

Rich!

Divvy said:

What the hell happened to Zelda? I remember the days when a new zelda would come out and the internet would go aflame at an 8.8 score. Now we get multiple eights and not a single death threat? A B+, and no fat jokes either? Nintendo fans should just pack it up and give up, Zelda fanboyism is dead.

here we go

Busaiku

Andrex said:
It will be interesting, however, to see how the eventual Zelda Wii U is received. Will it get inflated scores because it uses "traditional" controls and has HD graphics?

But that's five years off so best not to think about it. :(
We don't know what the heck it'll do.
Maybe it'll all be touch and gyro controls.

AniHawk said:
this needed to happen to skyward sword, to uncharted 3, and to whatever 360 game was coming out, so that we would all come together and embrace our savior, rayman origins.

o praise thee, rayman origins, and deliver us from mediocrity
The demo didn't really do much for me.

Orayn

Divvy said:

The supposed wave of insanity about low reviews will be limited to Zelda fans continually bracing for a wave of insanity.

jackdoe said:
Haha. How anyone can like the Zelda stealth gameplay is beyond me. I wanted to smash my 3DS into the ground when I played Gerudo Fortress again in OoT 3D.

God yes. Worst part of the game.

Opening dungeon of Wind Waker? Worst part of the game

The bullshit in Phantom Hourglass where you had to sneak past those stupid guards? THE WHOLE GAME AND THUS THE WORST GAME.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
LOCK said:
The most important review of this game will be the Gaf collective... so yeah.

GOTY rankings should be fun this year.
I've been saying it's going to be SS vs DS. We'll see if that's true.

Divvy said:

I like this post.

Divvy said:

It's also almost 4am on the U.S. east coast, a lot of potential blowhards are sleeping, getting ready for the morning revolt.

ivysaur12

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Nah, I enjoyed Wind Waker. Some parts I adored. Others I despised.

It's far too uneven for a Nintendo game.

Different strokes. There was almost nothing I disliked about it besides occasional boredom with traveling and switching wind.

Darryl

Banned
pramath said:
So it'll end up with a 92 or something on Metacritic then?
Or is that still too high? :(

there's still lots more reviews to come, there's like 15 reviews out, out of probably 60~ that will be on there

i can imagine lots of 5/5s would come from less specialty blogs/reviewers later on

boiled goose

good with gravy
Divvy said:

it is just simply not seen as a major video game release because it is on the wii. Sure it is a brand new Zelda!, but honestly most gamers including critics do not see the game as only of the top big epic games of the season.

Reversed

This binomial situation of loving/hating motion controlling brings the question of how configurable the motion is. I really want to know.

Mistle

Without spoiling anything, can somebody answer this:

I'm worried that there isn't much diversity in this game in terms of geographical locations. Seeing parts of the overworld map, it seems there's a lot lacking. Is this the case? Or are there heaps of rich, themed areas to explore? (just yes or no, don't spoil actual locations)

Also, how many dungeons are there altogether?

You guys should appreciate reviews being all over the place even though they aren't that much at all.

It's going to be so boring when Mario Kart 7 is reviewed in comparison.

Kai

AniHawk said:
90 at the absolute highest.

No way - even if you throw in EGM, 1up, GiantBomb, G4TV and Gamepro - there are about 10-11 other publications that gave it between 90-100.

I say it will be at 93-95.

Feep

Banned
Mistle said:
Without spoiling anything, can somebody answer this:

I'm worried that there isn't much diversity in this game in terms of geographical locations. Seeing parts of the overworld map, it seems there's a lot lacking. Is this the case? Or are there heaps of rich, themed areas to explore?

Also, how many dungeons are there altogether?
What do you mean without spoiling anything? These are serious spoilers.

ivysaur12 said:
Different strokes. There was almost nothing I disliked about it besides occasional boredom with traveling and switching wind.

Obviously I'm only speaking on behalf of myself. And certainly WW is far from a bad game. It's easier to find faults when there's not many of them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
The meltdown isn't nearly as bad as I anticipated.
I think people are trying to keep themselves in check based on what happened in a thread that shall remain nameless.

Plus a realistic approach to a game doesn't hurt, right? Going into a game with a lot of hype can either help or hurt how you feel about it in the end.

ivysaur12

Banned
hyduK said:
The 3 latter dungeons were all good. TP probably has the best dungeons though.

Eh. Lakebed, Arbiter's Grounds, and Snowpeak were the only ones that really wowed me. And the Temple of Time only got me for nostalgia value.

Yeah, Majora only had four, but they were unreal.

Top Bottom