• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

However, there are a couple of things that could save the PS4.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself, don't you think? The console isn't even out in Japan yet, but, assuming its US/European success continues, it should be attractive to Japanese publishers interested in selling the rights to their games to US publishers.

This was one of the biggest reasons the DS and 3DS did so well in regards to Japanese developers, while the PS3 didn't. Many Japanese developers don't have the resources to develop for more than one platform, so if they're interested in selling international publishing rights they have to stick to platforms that are also a success in the United States.

The PS3 was 2nd or 3rd place in the United States, even if it eeked out the number one spot world wide. As such, it wasn't an attractive place to develop games, unless, a developer had no interest in selling their publishing rights. The PS4 however, it likely to be fairly successful in the US and Europe, so as long as it has a healthy install base in Japan, it'll make sense to develop games for the platform.

I might also add, Lightning Returns wasn't expected to sell well, I have no idea why Square thought making yet another direct 13 sequel was a good idea. FFXIV however, was one of the more successful games released in Japan this summer, and sold extremely well in the country, for an MMO.

So I think the situation, serves more as a refutation of direct Final Fantasy sequels, rather than a refutation of the brand altogether.

I do agree however, that Japan has severe structural problems, that they need to address.

Sergiepoo

For those saying that the Kinect is the successor to the Wii, I would just like to point out this thread.

Regardless of your views on waggle, the Wii remote is at least functional. Casual gamers aren't idiots, and can distinguish between novelty and a broken control scheme.

NahNever

Banned
For those saying that the Kinect is the successor to the Wii, I would just like to point out this thread.

Regardless of your views on waggle, the Wii remote is at least functional. Casual gamers aren't idiots, and can distinguish between novelty and a broken control scheme.

Lol what has that got to do with anything?

Deku Tree

Sold out online at Gamestop and other places. Hearing lots of talk of shortages in the USA. Did NOA undership? Or is demand Huge in the USA?

Riposte

I thought the blackboard was a joke (sort of reminding us how dumb the old console wars were).

What "saved" the PS3? Not one thing on a list of things I imagine. I don't think consoles have ever been nor can be "saved" like that.

UNCMark

Banned
What talk? Gamestop probably under ordered as usual. Amazon, Target, Best Buy, etc all have stock.

Amazon is having issues keeping it in stock, thus the message about 1-3 day delays on orders.

I thought the blackboard was a joke (sort of reminding us how dumb the old console wars were).

What "saved" the PS3? Not one thing on a list of things I imagine. I don't think consoles have ever been nor can be "saved" like that.

It is a joke that people who would like to see the Wii U fail take seriously. No intelligent person would ever think a Kamiya title would save anything.

The blackboard was invented when hardcore Sony fans kept saying to "wait for __________" and the PS3 would miraculously get turned around. It was a joke about how the fans were acting.

It then kept getting repurposed, though mostly as a way to annoy owners of a certain console, even though nobody said Wonderful 101 or something was going to miraculously revive the system.

You're right that it wasn't one thing that pulled the PS3 out of the dumps, and I don't think anybody is saying one single game is going to "save" the Wii U, so the blackboard is a little silly in its use.

Christopher

It's back in stock at GameStop but OOS at Amazon. Who knows if that is because of under shipping though at this point it's seems probable.

FWIW, It was also OOS just an hour ago online at GameStop.

Its in stock on amazon too...gohastings is selling OT for 50 cents less check more buying options its still in stock

No shortages

Deku Tree

Did you actually check it says clearly new copies in stock?

I did check. It was out of stock. Now it's back in stock. Go Mario !!!

Its in stock on amazon too...gohastings is selling OT for 50 cents less check more buying options its still in stock

No shortages

For sale by a reseller, who is charging $4 shipping, means that Amazon sold out of their own stock. So Amazon themselves are out of stock.

Could be due to under estimating demand ...

That board is just putting every little thing fans were excited about just to prove a "point". Some did the same thing with the PS3 at launch. Personally, I think it would have been funnier if they only showed the key movements that Nintendo did, just to see how few of them there really are.

but what's the point of an empty chalkboard

No shortages

It's OOS at Amazon as only third party sellers have it available. Regardless of why, there are several retailers who either are currently, or earlier, were OOS. It was also OOS at local Brick and Mortar retail stores near me.

Not that the numbers are especially promising, but the game was available digitally, so the "lowest debut ever" may not be entirely accurate. Secondly, Mario games have legs. It remains to be seen how the Wii U fares over time, but 3D World is one of those games that everyone who buys the system gets sooner or later, and unlike SMS this one is only likely to benefit from word of mouth going forward.

Regardless, the game deserves better, but Nintendo has their work cut out of them convincing people that they can maintain a proper release schedule in the absence of substantive 3rd patry support. One game isn't going to change the tide for a system that went half a year without notable exclusives after it launched, even if that game happens to be Mario. That sort of lull so early in a consoles lifespan leaves a mark. SM3DW will help make the system more attractive overall, but it's obviously not going to miraculously send sales heavenward. Imo they need to get Mario Kart and Smash Bros. out in the first half of the year, have some good mid-tier franchises to fill the Q3 gap, and have something revelatory for the holidays, but I've got a sinking Smash will be a holiday game, which is too long to wait for a system struggling to build a proper audience.

Porcile

Hopefully it means Nintendo will try something new with Mario. I've got the game and loving it, but they've definitely taken the Galaxy and 3D Land style as far as it can go. 3D World feels like the combination of all those games but refined to the nth degree.

zoukka

I couldn't find the game anywhere but it might also be due to the low quantities shipped. My local gamestop apparently got only a few copies this week which is pretty absurd.

Just as people get FPS fatigue, is it possible that one can experience Mario fatigue as well?

We need a Wii U Zelda, Nintendo. That'll set you straight.

Just as people get FPS fatigue, is it possible that one can experience Mario fatigue as well?

Not unless Zelda is balls to the wall amazing, which I am highly skeptical of given the last decade. Hint to Nintendo: Don't start the game with an hour and a half of boring remedial shit, and make an overworld that doesn't feel like a barren husk.

Porcile

At this point it's hard to know what will get Wii U out of it's rut, other than a steady stream of very very good games over the course of an entire year. The problem is, I think it's much easier to 'legitimise' a handheld in the eyes of the gamer crowd with a single brilliant game. With the wealth of options on other consoles, even a brilliant exclusive FPS for Wii U might not be enough. People could just turn around and say they could play COD or Battlefield on another console.

SS does not give me much hope. The souls' series has surpassed zelda in many aspects. Aspects that I really adored the zelda series for. The characters though still draw me in.

RagnarokX

Not unless Zelda is balls to the wall amazing, which I am highly skeptical of given the last decade. Hint to Nintendo: Don't start the game with an hour and a half of boring remedial shit, and make an overworld that doesn't feel like a barren husk.

Skyward Sword didn't begin with an hour and a half of remedial shit. It began with an hour of plot. If you found that boring that's one thing, but let's not keep calling it something it wasn't. The pacing certainly could have been better, but the tutorials were optional.

I just hope Nintendo gets the right clues from the whole fiasco that is the Wii U (although I have grown to like mine over the last few weeks. Before that, it was just lying locked in a closet.)

New name, new design, better ideas..

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I just hope Nintendo gets the right clues from the whole fiasco that is the Wii U (although I have grown to like mine over the last few weeks. Before that, it was just lying locked in a closet.)

New name, new design, better ideas..

Honestly what are the right lessons to be learned from Wii U? Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread..

Nintendo aren't going to start selling hardware at a loss. The gamepad is a good idea and so is the philosophy of advancing more than just computing power each generation.

These two pretty much guarantee 3rd party support will always be minimal. The only lesson I can think of is to have more software released at a higher frequency, especially software that utilizes the new hardware in attractive ways. But this lesson was also true for Wii, GC and N64.

I really don't think the majority of people not buying a Wii U are doing so because of the lack of a proper account system or because the gamepad battery doesn't last long enough.

Marketing for the Wii U has indeed been disappointing, I'll give you that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Considering the install base and lack of digital numbers, thread title should probably say "SM3DW does pretty well in Japan".

This is the same shit people were saying for Vita games and people laughed at them. "Considering the install base" should not even come into play. Mario should be moving systems, which it is not, at least not significantly.

Dying console?

FTFY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom