• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
been waiting for Klepek's review! Now where's my gosh darn quick look!?

Friday I think. Nintendo's draconian restrictions on video footage before release probably keeping Patrick from showing off the parts of the game he feels really are worth showing off.

zroid

Banned
Friday I think. Nintendo's draconian restrictions on video footage before release probably keeping Patrick from showing off the parts of the game he feels really are worth showing off.

Probably. Based on what I hear of the embargo, they might've had to limit us to Worlds 1-2 if Quick Looked before release. :(

Sitting at 94 on Metacritic for now after the GB review.

Dat GB weightage

Cincaid

The German site Gaming-Universe I write for has its Super Mario 3D World Review online. My colleague Maximilian (known here as mfauli I guess) gave the game a 7.5. I wrote a second opinion because I've been reviewing the game for Select-Gamer and strongly disagree with many points made in the review. I gave a 9.5 (reason for not being 10: I would have liked it a tad more difficult for most of the game and the controls do not allow for a 10).

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I hope you understand why I can't take a review of a Mario game serious when the reviewer goes by the username 'Yoshi'. :p

theluma

I cant believe this just happened.

For some reason I was utterly convinced the game was coming out tomorrow (EU).

But it just fucking isn't :(

sad-baby.gif

japtor

I cant believe this just happened.

For some reason I was utterly convinced the game was coming out tomorrow (EU).

But it just fucking isn't :(

sad-baby.gif
You can fly to the US, get the game and a console (thanks region locking!), and get back before it comes out over there. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Or buy Zelda in the meantime and 3DS if you don't have one.

theluma

You can fly to the US, get the game and a console (thanks region locking!), and get back before it comes out over there. Seems perfectly reasonable.

Or buy Zelda in the meantime and 3DS if you don't have one.

Don't tempt me...just so disappointed in myself. Zelda and PS4 are for xmas. I guess it gives me time to finish of Wind Waker :)

Can you play this with 2 players with the tablet and a Wiimote?

The amount of rage I had after specifically buying a Wiimote to do this in SuperMarioLand and discovering I could not was high

Sorry, but how on Earth do you type 'Super Mario Land' instead of 'New Super Mario Bros. U' ?

Something about seeing 3D World at 94 and Ryse at 60 feels so, so great.

I love graphics, games are looking amazing, but time and time again it is shown that just graphics are not enough. When time goes by and next gen hype people will realize we have the same games with prettier graphics, that is fine on its own but I hope there are games that try something different or at least execute the gameplay mechanics we love to purrfection :). The MP into SP thing has promise but I am not that much into MP.

zroid

Banned
Something about seeing 3D World at 94 and Ryse at 60 feels so, so great.

Quoting the Metacritic blurb from EDGE's review for good measure:

This is Mario like you’ve never seen him before, and unlike so many of his next-gen rivals, he nips along at an effortless 60fps. If the true measure of new hardware’s worth is how stark the difference is between it and what came before, then this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced.

46&2

Banned
I love graphics, games are looking amazing, but time and time again it is shown that just graphics are not enough. When time goes by and next gen hype people will realize we have the same games with prettier graphics, that is fine on its own but I hope there are games that try something different or at least execute the gameplay mechanics we love to purrfection :). The MP into SP thing has promise but I am not that much into MP.

Check out contrast on ps4.

It's okay to feel vindication when Nintendo gets crapped on time and time again.

I can resonate with this..Is Ryse a first party title?Imagine if Nintendo would launch with a game ranking on the 60s..The age would have ended!!

Anyways, the WiiU launch was a disaster, but at least the games were top notch..oh and how my heart craves for a ZombiU sequel...:( Damn those sales!!

lt519

Forgive me if this has already been posted, it's an interesting and well-written piece by Tom Whitehead of Nintendo Life:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._refreshing_but_faces_a_vital_commercial_test

Exactly why I will always buy Nintendo consoles. I bought a PS4, am plowing through Resogun which is really fun, but have played maybe a total of 4 hours of Killzone, all online, and really have no desire to pick it back up. I work 8 hours, go to the gym, cook dinner with the girlfriend, sit down watch a show or visit some friends, by then it's 9-10pm, I'm drained and just want something more friendly to the eyes and stress levels. This is where games like Mario, Rayman Legends, even something like Ni No Kuni come in.

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

Try watching a stream or something and at least try to gain a decent understanding of the Galaxy-esque creativity and exellent design that every damn review points out before attempting to invalidate them based on an early in store demo and a trailer or two. maybe there's a reason the game is seeing unanimous praise. Maybe your assumptions about the game have been off base, oh wait no way high scores must be moneyhatted or inflated bc they don't align with my original kneejerk response to the game that still forms my opinion of it today or whatever

God damn. Every bit of media and every review at this point describe a game with as much level and gameplay variety as Galaxy, with music as great as Galaxies, and plenty of new features/interesting gimmicks/new concepts for power ups/new art styles/etc. etc. and you still can't let go of the perception that this game is still somehow some sort of lesser Mario. It's clear that it doesn't matter how legitimately good the game actually is because nothing will change the opinion you made for yourself about the game months ago.

It's amazing that when unanimous praise and reviews start to depict a game literally the polar opposite from the game you've been describing for the last few months - one that's not as lazy or safe as originally percieved, one that mixes things up like Galaxy did on a level to level basis, with an ever changing art style and incredible music, and a lot of merit as a fun multiplayer 3D platformer that can stand alongside Galaxy 1 and 2 despite being very different from them (and reviewing as well as them despite not having much more than the quality of its gameplay to fall back on - lacking GTA IV's years of hype, 'immersion, scale, Oscar worthy story' that distracted from its middling gameplay resulting in crazy review scores, and indeed lacks its reputation for sacrificing its strongest points to drive home some visual next gen scope and feel, and really just comes together to make for a poor comparison)- your response is to simply say, "Well, those reviewers, THEY MUST BE WRONG TOO" >.> as though it's impossible for you to think to take one step back and think, hey, maybe I have treated the game unfairly if literally everything out there in regards to the game goes against the complaints I had for it. it really, really says something when all it took from an extremely spotty developer is to go 'Look curved levels n shit' and copy wholesale from Mario's repertoire for you to go "BEST SINCE THE NINETIES HAHAHA" (despite it turning out to be an objectively mediocre game) - buuuuuuuuut review scores and perceptions for a game developed by a team that's been busting out record scoring games on the regular must be 'inflated' because they don't align with your perception of what the game is.

tl;dr here i was thinking that this game's impressive critical reception might be enough to get some of you to reconsider your stance and maybe give it another chance. nope. you're doubling down and it looks ridiculous

maxcriden

Exactly why I will always buy Nintendo consoles. I bought a PS4, am plowing through Resogun which is really fun, but have played maybe a total of 4 hours of Killzone, all online, and really have no desire to pick it back up. I work 8 hours, go to the gym, cook dinner with the girlfriend, sit down watch a show or visit some friends, by then it's 9-10pm, I'm drained and just want something more friendly to the eyes and stress levels. This is where games like Mario, Rayman Legends, even something like Ni No Kuni come in.

So with you on this. After a long day, I just want to veg out with some Nintendo games. (I did bring my 3DS to work with me today, we'll see if I get caught up enough for a Dream Team break....)

Yeah, I totally agree with everything this post and the original NintendoLife article said. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by any measure. However, it dawned on me one night that I'd rather play one or two excellent Nintendo games than never finishing the multitude of great AAA games that make it to my bin of shame. There is definitely something compelling about what Nintendo puts out.

For the sake of the industry, I hope that the Xbone and PS4 continue to do well. Still, I can't help but smile when i think of big poppa Nintendo just shrugging off all of the doom and gloom press and hate, and just focusing on making great games and letting that content stand on it's own.

I've been a gamer, or involved in this industry in some way for a long time. Sure, console lust is beating me up something fierce, and I really WANT to rush out to get those next gen consoles. But the truth of it is, the only game that I really want to play this holiday is Super Mario 3D World.

..and dat Zelda if I had a 3DS.

Stay classy Nintendo.

Bee-A-U-ti-FUL!

This weekend will be glorious!

Saw the demo. So much natural than 3D Land. Really fun. Kids can play it and adults can also enjoy it.

Funny how the two best reviewed games of this holidays is Zelda and Mario!

Only Nintendo can pull that magic off!

Not really an appropriate comparison, since reviewers automatically lop off 10-20% just cause it's a handheld game.
And yet even though many of 3DS's launch titles came heavily recommended via word of mouth I found myself extremely disappointed with all but Super Street Fighter 4. Reviews may have been harsh but launch drought led a lot of people to be less harsh on these two games than they should have been.

I'd always hear 'get pilotwings', 'get steel diver' and I'd look to my left seein two game cases nearly completely undisturbed from launch. Shadow Wars too which far and away wins the 'most overhyped 3DS launch title' award

Shadow War's defining and most distinctive feature was that it was playable.

Haha I mean a game that has no soul, no ambition beyond being sort of just a game that doesn't suck? That's Shadow Wars. and for fourty bucks it didn't sit right with me nor did it get me actually playing my 3DS on the regular like Street Fighter did. I mean I still beat the game and enjoyed it for what it was if that counts for anything. I just can't bring myself to praise it.

Sendou

"It has no soul". "It has no ambition". Two things that are said when you have nothing real to critize at all. Also you have the bargain hunting skills of a rock if you paid $40 for it.

I thought it was a good turn-based strategy game. Good mechanics with the six soldiers. Each one was unique and served a purpose (even if that stealth soldier who shanks everyone and gets an extra turn was a little OP). The leveling up was handled well with gaining new abilities. Solid difficulty curve. Lots of content with individual bonus missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom