• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

I just don't think the 3D Land/World style of game design is as fun as Galaxy, despite how pretty its gonna be, how great the music sounds, how clever its power-up usage may be. I'm open to being surprised, but I have a feeling 3D World will be a very good game, but ultimately inferior to Galaxy 2.

I disagree because I do not think these are trying to be the same type of 3d mario, to a degree where it would be weird to compare them. I think people will have a preference, for example sonic boosting vs colors sonic.

Everything you said does not make the game inferior, you just kind of have a preference, and that is fine.

EhoaVash

I never expected this game to reach galaxy level greatness
too much borrowing from the NSMB series much to my disappointment, gonna get this game anyway.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I never expected this game to reach galaxy level greatness
too much borrowing from the NSMB series much to my disappointment, gonna get this game anyway.
You don't even know what you're talking about. The funny part is you even admitted it. You haven't even played the game yet.

Yagharek

Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, does anyone here seriously think SM3DW will, despite no doubt being a great game, reach the same level as SMG (or SMG2, if you're one of those people)?

Ask that question in a month when we've had time to complete it all. I'm going in with an open, optimistic mind.

guek

Banned
Ignore him. He's the other 3D world troll. I think him and spiler (or whatever his name is) are the same people. Lol.

dpSFmWH.jpg

As good as this game sounds (and it sounds like Game of the Year), it still doesn't sound like it'll be as good as the Super Mario Galaxy games. Not sure why, it seems less ambitious somehow.

I don't really understand all the scores. I've played through the game all the way and I'm seriously one of the biggest Mario fans there is. I gave it an 8.5 but I can still see a 9. But all those 10s? Man, its like those reviewers played a different game than me. I can live with different opinions, so it doesn't bother me, but I can't really see why people would give it a 10. It's a great, great game. But it used a lot of ideas from the Galaxy-games and the NSMB-games and most new ideas come from item use instead of pure level design. The multiplayer is pretty chaotic and during the game I often felt like I played this before. This maybe has to do with a lot of the astetics that are re-used from the NSMB- and 3D Land-games. Of course, now in HD, which looks wonderful, but still.

Contradiction much? The other reviewers probably judged the game on its own merits, and didn't compare it to Galaxy/3D Land in every paragraph. Nearly every game on the market is derivative of something else.

What does "pure level design" even mean in this case? This is coming from somebody who designs Super Mario World ROM hacks. The irony being that you often criticize this game for not being as good as Super Mario Galaxy, yet that game had multiple missions that FORCED you to don the Bee Suit, among many power-ups that made platforming more tedious than it needed to be. Remember how difficult it was to control Spring Mario? Or how about those awful trash disposable mini-games? B-B-BUT IT HAD MARIO IN SPACE SO IT WAS MORE EPIC AND BETTER! I can understand why multiplayer may not be for everybody, but complaining about it would imply you can't turn it off, thereby making the game worse. More options are never a bad thing.

Sciz

most new ideas come from item use instead of pure level design.

Sometimes Mario games are driven by mechanics more so than structure. That's how Super Mario World was designed, and it's why there's an eternal war over whether or not it's better than SMB3. It's a different approach to the genre, but one that's no less valid.

Riposte

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

Judging games based on novelty is stupid. I think you used this logic in threads you made and people thought it was so dumb you got junior'd for it. More so than anyone has ever been junior'd before, it seems.

D-e-f-

Banned
i felt like Galaxy 1 kept throwing the "story" in your face too much. i mean, it was cool at the time. it gave an epic feel, like you were embarking on something huge

but i'm really, really glad they did away with all that in Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 really felt like the meat and potatoes of what Galaxy was all about

Throwing it in your face? You mean the part where it was completely optional to go to Rosalina and listen to her telling you her story? LOL

Dunlop

Can you play this with 2 players with the tablet and a Wiimote?

The amount of rage I had after specifically buying a Wiimote to do this in SuperMarioLand and discovering I could not was high

Antagon

Can you play this with 2 players with the tablet and a Wiimote?

The amount of rage I had after specifically buying a Wiimote to do this in SuperMarioLand and discovering I could not was high

Yes. Every possible Wii / Wii U controller combo can be used for multiplayer.

I can understand why multiplayer may not be for everybody, but complaining about it would imply you can't turn it off, thereby making the game worse. More options are never a bad thing.

In fairness, in the latest Iwata Asks, Miyamoto admitted that multiplayer limited the number of options of things they could do with this game, including the camera. Of course, that "epic" 3D World shot that's being posted features a behind-the-back camera that you won't be playing with the majority of the time.

So if multiplayer is actively removing creative possibilities from the game's development, as Miyamoto says, then it's fair game for criticism.

So if multiplayer is actively removing creative possibilities from the game's development, as Miyamoto says, then it's fair game for criticism.

Kind of a non-point, isn't it? Everything is a trade-off. With their previous games, their decisions removed the creative possibility of multiplayer in the 3D environments.

greg400

Banned
The level design in this game (at least what I've seen) actually reminds me a lot of those divided subsections of Sunshine that removed FLUDD from your arsenal, aka the best part of the game according to mass reviewers and gamers alike.

Kind of a non-point, isn't it? Everything is a trade-off. With their previous games, their decisions removed the creative possibility of multiplayer in the 3D environments.

It's absolutely a trade-off. But that's why it's fair game. If multiplayer is meaningless to one player, than that player is within their rights to criticize its inclusion, if such a decision requires "trading" for something that would be more meaningful to them.

I think, if the next Metroid game included a much hyped online multiplayer FPS matchmaking system and many of what I consider core Metroid values were "traded off" for that, I would be quite rightly incensed.

That's a more extreme example, but I think, if someone prefers those traded off values over whatever was brought in that caused them to be dropped they are well within their rights to voice their concerns.

Can any character be chosen on the Gamepad/player 1 in multiplayer or is the Gamepad set to Mario forcing players 2-4 to use Wiimotes/CC's/Pros for Luigi, Toad and Peach? Maybe an odd question and I'm worrying too much but just want to be sure because Nintendo sometimes does some odd and restrictive things (see how Gamepad was handled for multi in NSMBU)

rawktapus

Can any character be chosen on the Gamepad/player 1 in multiplayer or is the Gamepad set to Mario forcing players 2-4 to use Wiimotes/CC's/Pros for Luigi, Toad and Peach? Maybe an odd question and I'm worrying too much but just want to be sure because Nintendo sometimes does some odd and restrictive things (see how Gamepad was handled for multi in NSMBU)

Everyone can be anyone, i believe

maxcriden

Based on the character select screen, I am pretty sure the Gamepad player can choose any character.

In single player you can use any controller (barring a couple levels that require you to use the touch screen), and you can use any character (whether single or multi).

maxcriden

This was a really good article. Thanks for posting!

My pleasure Drew, I'm glad someone saw it and enjoyed it. I think that site is really good in general, especially their editorials and reviews. I find I almost always agree with their reviews in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom