• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Mario 3D Land. It's outstanding...as a handheld game. I just think its a damn shame that the first 2 Mario games on an HD console are a NSMB sequel and a sequel to the 3DS game. I wanted a new concept entirely something that would WOW me and blow everyone away that took full advantage of the Wii U hardware.

So you essentially wanted some gimmick? Besides spin to shake in Galaxy the motion controls hurt that game.

But hey you may get your wish anyway, with the way Wii U is selling Nintendo might pump out a lot more Mario IP.

I love Mario 3D Land. It's outstanding...as a handheld game. I just think its a damn shame that the first 2 Mario games on an HD console are a NSMB sequel and a sequel to the 3DS game. I wanted a new concept entirely something that would WOW me and blow everyone away that took full advantage of the Wii U hardware.

I feel like there will be one more Mario platformer on the Wii U. It will either be Galaxy 3 or a more open world game I think. It would be a great game to get towards the end of the gen. There is still hope!

goldenpp72

I feel you on that as I agree, I did want a big scale Uncharted engine killer (but with these art aesthetics) built around a vast sort of idea for the U outing of Mario, but I won't allow what I pipe dream to get in the way of something that is still at it's core a pure fun experience filled with imagination. Mario is one of the few remaining mainstream series that focuses itself on actual mechanics and still manages to keep up with the tech/productions curve, so while 3D world isn't what I personally dreamed of (think a perfected Mario 64 merged with Galaxy quality all the way as my wish), i'm sure it's going to be a fantastic romp and the added co op will also mark the first time I could play a Mario in 3D with the girlfriend.

It's funny because a year or so ago before this game was announced, I talked to a friend and said I think Mario 3D world will happen on 3DS, and while this game isn't quite what I was thinking (no cape or yoshi, and not on 3ds) it still is funny that it exist.

guek

Banned
I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

You're not going to be able to hide behind that Best Buy demo after friday. The demo was underwhelming for many many critics as well who said it was enjoyable but not particularly enthralling. Put your hubris aside for a moment and recognize that these same critics quickly changed their tune. Your experience really amounts to nothing at this point. You can disagree that the footage is interesting and you can even dislike the full game if you ever actually play it but that wont suddenly make you right and everyone wrong. You're so invested in believing that this game "plays it safe" though that I very much doubt you'll ever give it a real fair shake. You've already made up you mind based on a brief early demo.

I feel like there will be one more Mario platformer on the Wii U. It will either be Galaxy 3 or a more open world game I think. It would be a great game to get towards the end of the gen. There is still hope!

I feel like they may just make a 3D Land 2 on the 3DS with how well that game sold and with this game probably not coming remotely close or a new IP entirely.

Anth0ny

There's been at least one new Mario platformer every year for the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure we'll get another one next year. Thought it might be for 3DS, considering it's lineup is pretty thin for 2014 at the moment...

There's been at least one new Mario platformer every year for the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure we'll get another one next year. Thought it might be for 3DS, considering it's lineup is pretty thin for 2014 at the moment...

They gotta slow down at some point...right?

Darryl

Banned
I feel like they may just make a 3D Land 2 on the 3DS with how well that game sold and with this game probably not coming remotely close or a new IP entirely.

another alternative is to just keep making the Galaxy game they're hinting at and instead make another 2D Mario series and put that one on the 3DS. they make too much money off of 2D Mario for them to not get around to fixing the series's criticisms.

Thoraxes

I'm definitely picking up a Wii U for this, monster hunter 3 ultimate, Wonderful 101, and pikmin 3. :D I so can't wait. 3D World looks so good.

Bless your good taste in gaming and soul.

Sometimes good things do happen and people make the right choices.

Sheroking

Mario 3d land is my favorite portable game of all time, and this coming from someone who has played hundreds, the fact this game seems to be that but better in every way means it should at least be an excellent game, don't judge games on such short spurts, imagine judging something like Dead Rising in 10 minutes.

Well, 10 minutes is how long Dead Rising games are fun..... so....?

mstevens

Hmmm....this game might fuck up my resolution to beat a WiiU game fully before buying the next one.

I'm not done with WWHD yet god fucking dammit.

I'm in the same boat. I should be finished by now, but I'm having too much fun just sailing around and slowly getting Nintendo gallery figurines.

Oh well, we'll just have to play two amazing games side by side!

Zalman

I agree. I have a feeling the next game will be Galaxy 3. Miyamoto has stated multiple times that they still have that series and that they might return to it. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened in 2-3 years.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The German site Gaming-Universe I write for has its Super Mario 3D World Review online. My colleague Maximilian (known here as mfauli I guess) gave the game a 7.5. I wrote a second opinion because I've been reviewing the game for Select-Gamer and strongly disagree with many points made in the review. I gave a 9.5 (reason for not being 10: I would have liked it a tad more difficult for most of the game and the controls do not allow for a 10). His closing comment:
Als im Vorfeld und nach Sichten erster Trailer von vielen Spielern behauptet wurde, es handele sich bei Super Mario 3D World um ein Sequel des 3DS-Marios, wurde das nach späteren Videoszenen von einigen Fans vehement als unsinnig abgetan. Wohl vorrangig in der Hoffnung, dass es sich hier um ein richtiges, großes "Mario" handelt. Die Fans irren sich leider. Was kein Todesurteil darstellen soll, oh nein! Super Mario 3D World ist ein Jump´n´Run mit herausragender Spielbarkeit, schnörkelloser, verlässlicher Technik und ordentlichem Umfang. Dazu kommen viele kleine Ideen, die immer wieder für Abwechslung sorgen. Zugleich versäumt es Nintendo erstmals in der Historie der 3D-Heimkonsolen-Marios, einen neuen Standard für die Serie zu setzen. Als jemand, der beide Super Mario Galaxy-Spiele in sich aufgesaugt und bis zum letzten Stern (okay, in SMG2 fehlt mir der allerletzte Stern, soviel zum Thema Herausforderung) genossen hat, fühlt sich das Wii U-Mario wie ein Rückschritt an. Keine koexistierende Variante, sondern einfach nur ein Rückschritt. Wenn ich Mario spiele, will ich gefordert sein, riskante Sprungmanöver durchführen, Sprünge, die erst einmal geplant und überlegt sein wollen. Ein Open World-Mario à la 64 und Sunshine wäre toll, ist aber nicht zwingend nötig. Super Mario 3D World spricht vor allem Anfänger an, die zum ersten Mal Kontakt mit dem mutigen Klempner haben werden. Der Rest von uns erfreut sich am flüssigen Rennen und Springen in HD, hofft jedoch auf einen dritten Auftritt Marios auf der Wii U-Konsole. Dann hoffentlich so frisch und innovativ, wie man es von Nintendo erwarten kann.

Daher für Einzelspieler und im Mehrspielermodus gut bis sehr gut.

and a translation of it:
When, in advance and after seeing the first trailer, it was claimed by many players that Super Mario 3D World is a sequel to the 3DS-Mario, some fans vehemently denied this as nonsensical. Probably mostly out of hope that it was going to be a real, big "Mario". Sadly, those fans are wrong. Which should not be a death sentence, no-no! Super Mario 3D World is a platformer with an outstanding playability, solid tech and fair length. On top of that there are many small ideas that provide some variety. At the same time and for the same time in the history of 3D-console-Marios, Nintendo fails to set a new standard for the series. As someone, who has absorbed both Super Mario Galaxy games and has relished in both to the last star (okay, in SMG2 I'm missing the absolutely final star, so much on the topic of challenge), the new Mario feels like a step back. No coexistant variation, but simple a step back. If I play Mario, I want to be challenged, peform risky jumping manuevers. Jumps, that need to be planned and well-thought-through in advance. An open world-Mario like 64 and Sunshine would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Super Mario 3D World is aimed mostly at beginners-level players, who have never experiences a game starring the brave plumber before. The rest of us enjoys the fluid ruinning and jumping in HD, but nevertheless hopes that there is going to be a third Mario of the Wii U. Hopefully then it's as fresh and innovative as one would expect of Nintendo.

Therefore in singleplayer and in multiplayer good to very good (7.5).

Mine, I'll paraphrase: I'm strictly opposed to two points of his review: That the music is sub-par and exactly like NSMB (I think it's fantastic, it is definitely not the same as NSMB and has some outstanding jazz-themes) and that the game is aimed only at beginners. The first six worlds are very easy, but extremely imaginative and fun, the latter worlds are more challenging and at its peak I had to play two levels for way over an hour each to complete them. And I try to play all platformer games. The final segment of my second opinon is:
Insgesamt ist Super Mario 3D World also ein exzellentes Jump & Run und ganz klar das beste Hüpfspiel – egal ob 2D oder 3D – das man derzeit auf HD-Konsolen erwerben kann. Genau das – den Erwerb von Super Mario 3D World – lege ich daher allen Spielern ganz deutlich ans Herz. Meines Erachtens ist Super Mario 3D World das beste Spiel, das ich in diesem Jahr habe spielen können und ein echter Kaufgrund für die Wii U.

Daher: 9.5
In English:
Overall, Super Mario 3D World is an excellent platformer and obviously the best platformer - not matter if 2D or 3D - that can be bought on an HD-console right now. Exactly this - buying Super Mario 3D World - is something that I would wholeheartedly recmmend to every player. From my point of view, Super Mario 3D World is the best game I've played all year and a real reason to buy a Wii U. Therefore: 9.5

KHlover

Banned

1-2 is a 7.5 on your site? ("Gut - sehr gut")
That's a strange scale. 1-2 is ~12.3/15 (based on the 15-point scale used in Abitur (where 15pts are 100%), but since 15pts literally are more than perfect it's more like 12.3/14 = 0.878 or 88%

How does your scale work?

erawsd

Man has my WiiU hype just exploded, I'm ready to dive in. Am I going to regret being a cheap ass and getting a Basic + using a 32gig stick I already have?

Sendou

we're talking about the same company that released 2 nsmb games in a 3 month span. at the very least we'll get some DLC for 3D World similar to NSLU.

They already said 3D World won't get any DLC. You're talking like Nintendo is somehow very predictable. They're not.

Yoshi

1-2 is a 7.5 on your site? ("Gut - sehr gut")
That's a strange scale. 1-2 is ~12.3/15 (based on the 15-point scale used in Abitur (where 15pts are 100%), but since 15pts literally are more than perfect it's more like 12.3/14 = 0.878 or 88%

How does your scale work?

You can't relate it to the school-grading-system. The scale goes like this:
10 - Milestone
9 - Outstanding
8 - Very Good
7 - Good
6 - Fair
5 - Mediocre
4 - flawed
3 - bad
2 - horrible
1 - insufferable

I'd say the scale is a bit more strict than the average scale, but a "1" (German school grade) is not an 8. A 1 would be 9-9.5, 1+ and only 1+ would be 10. For a 10 it needs to be really unique and basically flawless in execution. There are only two games for the last eight years (the time I'm a videogame journalist) I would have given a 10: Super Mario Galaxy 1&2. Since I didn't review those for GU, I've never given a ten on that website.

Yoshi

Ever? For sure it will be bundled in at some point but seeing how they haven't said a word about something like that I would say it will at least few months to happen.
Why "for shure"? Super Mario Galaxy was never bundled. I really think NSMBU will be the Mario game to bundle, also in the future.

They've usually stuck to the "One 2D One 3D per console" until Galaxy 2 broke that.

NSMBWii - 2009 - 2D Wii
Galaxy 2 - 2010 - 3D Wii
Super Mario 3D Land - 2011 - 3D 3DS
NSMB2 - 2012 - 2D 3DS
NSMBU - 2012 - 2D WiiU
Super Mario 3D World - 3D WiiU

They've basically covered their quota. Considering how early this 3D Mario game is though Im assuming we'll get atleast one more a few years down the line. 2D Mario is most likely done for a while though until Wii3/4DS. They really should have spaced out the NSMB2/NSMBU releases though.

Do you still think that Sonic Lost World and Knack will outsell this game?

Sendou

Why "for shure"? Super Mario Galaxy was never bundled. I really think NSMBU will be the Mario game to bundle, also in the future.

I have a good feeling it will be a part of some bundle at some point. NSMBU is the bundled game right now. It appeals to certain people and they'll probably get a Wii U with it. 3D World appeals to different people. I think that's why it will be packed in at some point just like with 3D Land and 3DS. NSMBU being the huge and perfect bundle game like NSMBWii was just isn't happening.

They've usually stuck to the "One 2D One 3D per console" until Galaxy 2 broke that.

Personally I think they'll make Galaxy 3 (or something in that line) for Wii U and call it a day. Can't flood the system too much :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, does anyone here seriously think SM3DW will, despite no doubt being a great game, reach the same level as SMG (or SMG2, if you're one of those people)?

Conor 419

Banned
Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, does anyone here seriously think SM3DW will, despite no doubt being a great game, reach the same level as SMG (or SMG2, if you're one of those people)?

In what sense? From pure level design 3DW looks to be on that level already. Sure it won't be the startling triumph that Galaxy was, but you must remember contextually that Galaxy was such a triumph because Sunhine was so awful.

Personally I think they'll make Galaxy 3 (or something in that line) for Wii U and call it a day. Can't flood the system too much :p

Which they probably will do, just not for a few years. I'd say 2016 at the earliest.

Nintendo got caught in kind of a warp where they were trying to give the Wii its last legs with some final Mario games while they were transitioning into two brand new systems that really needed them as well. The result was an over saturation of Mario platformers across 3 platforms. So im definitely sure they'll take a break for a bit now that 3D World is done and work on something else, probably on a smaller scale, in the meantime. I mean theres still that unannounced Miyamoto IP isn't there? :p

Sendou

I don't think anything has changed with the people making it (meaning that if they wanted to make something like Galaxy they would and they probably will). 3D World is obviously a different kind of game that Galaxy games were. Most notably Galaxy 2's multiplayer was very limited so of course you can't get much enjoyment there if you prefer local multiplayer over singleplayer. Regarding singleplayer it's hard to say. Galaxy games are two of my favorite games of all time but I tend to look at new games with an open mind.

Which they probably will do, just not for a few years. I'd say 2016 at the earliest.

Nintendo got caught in kind of a warp where they were trying to give the Wii its last legs with some final Mario games while they were transitioning into two brand new systems that really needed them as well. The result was an over saturation of Mario platformers across 3 platforms. So im definitely sure they'll take a break for a bit now that 3D World is done and work on something else, probably on a smaller scale, in the meantime. I mean theres still that unannounced Miyamoto IP isn't there? :p

Sounds like EAD Tokyo is cabable of working at two titles (not necessarily both at full force but still) at the same time now. I bet one of them is Mario and the other isn't.

CrisKre

*raises hand*

I think for me it will.

I enjoyed 3d lands simplicity and focus tremendously. To this day I put it on par with galaxy.

3d world seems to expound on that, and is the first mario in a looooooong time that seems whimsical.
That, added to the fact of this being the first hd 3d mario, had me expecting to put it on top .

Oersted

Replayed SMG recently. It looks like SM3DW is offering way, way more content in the levels. There is so much more to do and interact with.

I don't think anything has changed with the people making it (meaning that if they wanted to make something like Galaxy they would and they probably will). 3D World is obviously a different kind of game that Galaxy games were. Most notably Galaxy 2's multiplayer was very limited so of course you can't get much enjoyment there if you prefer local multiplayer over singleplayer. Regarding singleplayer it's hard to say. Galaxy games are two of my favorite games of all time but I tend to look at new games with an open mind.

Sounds like EAD Tokyo is cabable of working at two titles (not necessarily both at full force but still) at the same time now. I bet one of them is Mario and the other isn't.

If I remember correctly EAD Tokyo has the main team w/ a smaller group sectioned off for separate projects w/ people interchangeable between the two when needed. No doubt they're always going to be working on a new Mario game but I assume they'll delegate the smaller team to conceptualization and what not for the game while the main team takes a break from Mario and work on something else or help in other areas of development. They're both WiiU/3DS team so more than likely theyre working on a game for both.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Yup

onilink88

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

Let me get this straight: you've already decided that it is "overrated" based on your metrics of ambition and what little you've played of it? Okay, yeah, I think anyone that uses the term over/underrated or any other equivalent is going to go straight to my ignore list from now on. Shit is getting ridiculous.

SmokyDave

Never mind 3D World, 3D Land was better than SMG. I'd say it's a sure thing that 3D World will sit on top of the pile when the dust settles.

Sendou

If I remember correctly EAD Tokyo has the main team w/ a smaller group sectioned off for separate projects w/ people interchangeable between the two when needed. No doubt they're always going to be working on a new Mario game but I assume they'll delegate the smaller team to conceptualization and what not for the game while the main team takes a break from Mario and work on something else or help in other areas of development. They're both WiiU/3DS team so more than likely theyre working on a game for both.

Yeah that used to be the case. I'm referencing to the fact how Miyamoto has been talking about increasing EAD Tokyo staff to allow making two games simultaneously. At least that's what I gathered from this:

"Miyamoto brought up two different examples of this during our discussion. He mentioned that he's been working with Yoshiaki Koizumi, one of the lead developers at Nintendo's EAD Tokyo studio and producer of Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World, "on what we can do to allow the Tokyo studio to create more games." Miyamoto noted that Nintendo had already started to "gradually" increase that studio's team over time. "We're doing this not by going out of house to different companies and having them develop games for us, but instead by working with partner companies and subsidiaries in a way that allows the Tokyo studio to run more projects," Miyamoto said."

FryHole

Never mind 3D World, 3D Land was better than SMG. I'd say it's a sure thing that 3D World will sit on top of the pile when the dust settles.

Agree with this. The Galaxy games, while undoubtedly great, never clicked with me like it seems they did with so many others, I found more to enjoy in 3D Land (analogue nubbin controls aside).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom