• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the complaint over the blue coin search. I thought it was pretty cool ... get 10 blue coins, trade in for one star. Repeat. It was a side quest, not the main game.

I mean, even if you thought it was an 'issue,' you did get them all, right?

The blue coin search was terrible because it was obvious padding to match 64's 120 stars. We know of a number of scrapped levels which explains why it feels incomplete. This game along with WW were rush released by Iwata to try and save the GCN. I love Sunshine and it was a great game but there was some polish missing from the game and it was obvious content was missing so they threw a ton of blue coins everywhere to make up for it.

Bodacious

Banned
The blue coin search was terrible because it was obvious padding to match 64's 120 stars. We know of a number of scrapped levels which explains why it feels incomplete. This game along with WW were rush released by Iwata to try and save the GCN. I love Sunshine and it was a great game but there was some polish missing from the game and it was obvious content was missing so they threw a ton of blue coins everywhere to make up for it.

Eh, I see what you mean. But I still thought it was a cool challenge to complete and fun as hell. As far as missing/unfinished content, that probably applies to the majority of games, and more so the good ones than the bad ones. Mario 64 had some stuff like that too - underwater glitch-inducing doors to nowhere, etc.

goldenpp72

The blue coins were awful because there wasn't a good way to track which ones you already got, and the fact many were hidden in ways that made no sense (spray this random wall for a bit.. OMG COIN)

Sunshine is certainly one of the worst mainline Mario titles, but when that is a series of the best games ever, it still ends up being a good game. It certainly had some issues, the awful story and at times art, the lack of variety in themes, at times unruly camera, etc, but all in all it was still probably the best pure platformer of the generation and hardly 'awful' as some would state.

It's an interesting experimental game during a weird Nintendo era, for that it will always hold a soft spot in my heart even if it's not as good as any other 3D Mario game.

Ya'll are crazy saying Sunshine is a BAD game.

It's not as good as Mario 64, but it's still a very solid game with INCREDIBLE controls.

Its issues are:

1. Too few areas
2. Too many objectives per area
3. Blue Coins

Other than that, it was pretty fantastic.

Also, a clunky camera and an inordinate amount of jankiness (the Pachinko level says hi).

Darryl

Banned
Sunshine had huge flaws when it came to content but it was still a magical game imo. The overall game was highly ambitious in concept. I think it sits up there with their finest, even if not in the polish department.

Eh, I see what you mean. But I still thought it was a cool challenge to complete and fun as hell. As far as missing/unfinished content, that probably applies to the majority of games, and more so the good ones than the bad ones. Mario 64 had some stuff like that too - underwater glitch-inducing doors to nowhere, etc.
Uh, that was Sunshine dude.

I'm a page late but whatever yo

NSMB for the DS is probably my favorite 2D Mario. I've played all the older ones like 3 and World but damn, they bore me to death. If we count Super Princess Peach as a Mario game, then that'd be my fave instead.

I'll go on record saying SPP is my favorite 2D platformer ever. That game is legit fun.

Not even harshing your mellow but...

HErgAHa.gif

...never thought I'd read those words together in a sentence.

Neiteio

Sunshine is certainly one of the worst mainline Mario titles, but when that is a series of the best games ever, it still ends up being a good game. It certainly had some issues, the awful story and at times art, the lack of variety in themes, at times unruly camera, etc, but all in all it was still probably the best pure platformer of the generation and hardly 'awful' as some would state.
Yeah, basically this

The blue coins were awful because there wasn't a good way to track which ones you already got, and the fact many were hidden in ways that made no sense (spray this random wall for a bit.. OMG COIN)

It's an interesting experimental game during a weird Nintendo era, for that it will always hold a soft spot in my heart even if it's not as good as any other 3D Mario game.

I believe I would do anything for an HD remaster and expansion of the "secret of" levels from sunshine.

I won't compare 3D and 2D Mario because they are fairly different beasts, but I'd rank NSMBU, NSMBWii, and SMB3 above SMW. Even as a kid SMW felt lacking compared to 3, and NSMBWii and U are the best 2D games yet. Definitely play all of them, though.

Eh Wii rubbed me the wrong way. Definitely agree on 3>W, as for U it's really good, I think I'd have to decide if it makes my pantheon a few years from now though to see if it stands the test of time. It doesn't blow me away like the Galaxies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Iwata reacts to the review scores.

ibqPklPR2Bd6xD.gif

Alrus

I found Sunshine to be a really tedious game. A good bunch of Shines just aren't that fun to get (most regular red coins ones, a good bunch of the ones involving Yoshi in any form, the godawful watermelon contest and so on...). It does have some amazing challenges indeed, but they're burried under a big pile of shitty ones. And dear god, if there's one game to show you there shouldn't be any sort of "story" in a mario game, it's Sunshine.

Neiteio

And dear god, if there's one game to show you there shouldn't be any sort of "story" in a mario game, it's Sunshine.
Rosalina's backstory being at the polar opposite of the spectrum, as proof of why story in Mario isn't by default a terrible thing. :)

ohlawd

Did you play NSMB Wii? cause is so much better than DS. if you havent you should check it out seriously!
I have all NSMB games including Luigi (but haven't played it) but I'm missing U. I can't even finish the 1st world of Wii in its entirety, bored me too.

I did finish 2 tho. Bit boring but liked it enough to beat it, that's gotta count for something.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rosalina's backstory being at the polar opposite of the spectrum, as proof of why story in Mario isn't by default a terrible thing. :)

I couldn't finish galaxy 2 because I had no motivation... I wanted to finish the story in Galaxy one and loved the lore. So strange to me the decision of galaxy 2 to just float around on a Mario head in space and take such a step back narratively.

Which Dissapointrd me because the coursed were arguably better, it just felt like more of what I had already did and I eventually moved on. Poor rosalina.

120v

i felt like Galaxy 1 kept throwing the "story" in your face too much. i mean, it was cool at the time. it gave an epic feel, like you were embarking on something huge

but i'm really, really glad they did away with all that in Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 really felt like the meat and potatoes of what Galaxy was all about

goldenpp72

Real men get all the blue coins. ;)

I still remember my OCD for this game being pushed to the limit. I beat the game and decided to go for everything, but could not determine which blue coins I didn't get, so I restarted the whole game and wrote down all I did find, and used an ign guide to find the really stupid ones -_-

Sunshine was also the last time I did my tradition of buying a DQ Blizzard before playing a Mario game to make it extra special, thankfully Galaxy warmed my bitter hard regardless of the lack of ice cream.

Codeblue

i felt like Galaxy 1 kept throwing the "story" in your face too much. i mean, it was cool at the time. it gave an epic feel, like you were embarking on something huge

but i'm really, really glad they did away with all that in Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 really felt like the meat and potatoes of what Galaxy was all about

The story in Galaxy 1 was confined to a room you never had to go in. I don't feel like it was forced at all.

Galaxy 2 did get rid of the useless hub world stuff so you could just get right to the levels though, and that was awesome.

Berordn

Minus the opening cutscene and crazy ending, Galaxy 1 didn't really do that much to push the story. You're reminded of it a lot more because you're constantly moving through the observatory to get to the actual stages, but Rosalina doesn't participate any more than say, Lubba.

Neiteio

Minus the opening cutscene and crazy ending, Galaxy 1 didn't really do that much to push the story. You're reminded of it a lot more because you're constantly moving through the observatory to get to the actual stages, but Rosalina doesn't participate any more than say, Lubba.
You neglect to mention the storybook -- you would unlock new chapters in it as the game progressed, eventually revealing the tragic backstory of Rosalina, the death of her parents, and how she started an orphanage for Luma.

Apparently Koizumi had to sneak it in because Miyamoto is a butt-munch who also apparently didn't like swinging Bowser by the tail A.K.A. Most Iconic Moment of Super Mario 64.

Berordn

You neglect to mention the storybook -- you would unlock new chapters in it as the game progressed, eventually revealing the tragic backstory of Rosalina, the death of her parents, and how she started an orphanage for Luma.

Right, but that remains tucked away in an optional room. It's a nice addition but it doesn't involve the player at all.

Neiteio

Right, but that remains tucked away in an optional room. It's a nice addition but it doesn't involve the player at all.
But it's there. It involves the player in that the player can go into that room, and enjoy more and more of her story as the game progresses. SMG2 had nothing notable to its narrative and felt less special by comparison.

Yagharek

Koizumi may well be the best talent in Nintendo right now. Here's hoping he can forge his own legend with his own projects down the line, rather than just Miyamoto's.

Neiteio

Koizumi may well be the best talent in Nintendo right now. Here's hoping he can forge his own legend with his own projects down the line, rather than just Miyamoto's.
Didn't Koizumi come up with the brilliant three-day time cycle in Majora's Mask?

God among men. Nice hair, too.

Apparently Koizumi had to sneak it in because Miyamoto is a butt-munch who also apparently didn't like swinging Bowser by the tail A.K.A. Most Iconic Moment of Super Mario 64.

It was completely optional though, so it didn't get pushed in your face. In fact the first time I played the game I think I read chapter 1 and then never returned to the library.

Neiteio

It was completely optional though, so it didn't get pushed in your face. In fact the first time I played the game I think I read chapter 1 and then never returned to the library.
And that's great! SMG1 had a surprisingly good story, but the game never forced it down your throat. It was the best of both worlds -- story there if you want it, but you're free to carry on without it, as well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Eurogamer said:
Exhibit A: We need to talk about the goomba shoe. You know, the goomba shoe from Super Mario Bros. 3, a single-shot power-up that appears only in level 5-3, where you find a goomba stomping around in a large green boot - a boot you can steal.

LOL.

"goomba shoe".

Who the hell is this guy, anyway?

Yagharek

Didn't Koizumi come up with the brilliant three-day time cycle in Majora's Mask?

God among men. Nice hair, too.

Holy shit, he did that?

First I heard of him was DK Jungle Beat. Obviously he has been around a lot longer, but his influence seems to be far bigger than what he is known for.

PK Gaming

And that's great! SMG1 had a surprisingly good story, but the game never forced it down your throat. It was the best of both worlds -- story there if you want it, but you're free to carry on without it, as well.

Word

It's why i'll always prefer it over SMG2 and any Mario game. The story... was actually there and it made you feel emotion for a Mario character. (Practically unheard of outside of RPG Mario titles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom