• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

I really, really want this game, but I don't really want a WiiU that much at all…damn it.

I always hated this thinking.

It is always about the games, the console is just a vehicle to play the games.

It is simple, you want to play the games then buy the console. No one buys a console for buying a console sake, you buy the console to play the games.

And there you have it, SM3DW takes #1 spot in Amazon best sellers (NA).

I am ashamed of not finishing some Wii games, including SMG 2, but that will have to wait, Will juggle WW HD + SM3DW.

Playing WW HD for the first time and really liking it, has a lot going for it, presentation, environments, immersion, characters, charming.

I'm definitely picking up a Wii U for this, monster hunter 3 ultimate, Wonderful 101, and pikmin 3. :D I so can't wait. 3D World looks so good.

Just got one today for this game. Was going to get a craigslist purchase but decided to do the Best Buy 360 trade in for $100 (plus my copy of GTA V). Got the NSMBU bundle and after my trade in after tax it was only $192. Picked up Nintendoland used at Gamestop for $13 too. Very anxiously awaiting Friday!

Holy shit, he did that?

First I heard of him was DK Jungle Beat. Obviously he has been around a lot longer, but his influence seems to be far bigger than what he is known for.

Koizumi came up the idea of the moon crashing into Clock Town in three days. He wrote most of the non-player characters' schedules as well and apparently was responsible for the darker tone of Majora's Mask. He was also the man behind the Z-Target system in Ocarina of Time. The man is clearly a genius.

Anth0ny

XiUn9px.jpg

kneel before him.

Yagharek

Koizumi came up the idea of the moon crashing into Clock Town in three days. He wrote most of the non-player characters' schedules as well and apparently was responsible for the darker tone of Majora's Mask. He was also the man behind the Z-Target system in Ocarina of Time. The man is clearly a genius.

Well then.

Phenomenal track record.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Apparently Koizumi had to sneak it in because Miyamoto is a butt-munch who also apparently didn't like swinging Bowser by the tail A.K.A. Most Iconic Moment of Super Mario 64.

Wait, wait, wait.

What?!

Link, please?

FTF

I always hated this thinking.

It is always about the games, the console is just a vehicle to play the games.

It is simple, you want to play the games then buy the console. No one buys a console for buying a console sake, you buy the console to play the games.

It's more while I think 3D world looks amazing and I really want to play it, it doesn't justify purchasing what I feel is (atm) an overpriced and otherwise unattractive (figuratively speaking) console. I bought a Wii a couple years after launch though for the Galaxy's and virtual console, so I'll most likely get a WiiU down the road too.

Oibignose

Expected great, looks better than great. Eu Ps4 preorder sold to a friend for cost price and sm3dw ordered. Hope another sub 200 quid premium Wii u deal appears before now and the 29th. Nintendo never fail to deliver a contender for game of the generation and the generation hasn't fully started. Ultra hype.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wouldn't mind Koizumi coming back to Zelda. At the very least the story might end up being enjoyable again. It's one of the big things that went downhill in Zelda ever since he left.

He's working on another game right now. Who knows what that could be.

it's probably fucking mario

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Anteo

I wouldn't mind Koizumi coming back to Zelda. At the very least the story might end up being enjoyable again. It's one of the big things that went downhill in Zelda ever since he left.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And retro is working on fucking donkey kong.

Neiteio

Well hey, now we know the future is a bright one for Nintendo mario wise <P
Miyamoto's job is to look at whatever they're making and say "Fuck you," "Fuck you and your mother," "Fuck you and your dog," until he glances at the calendar and sees they need to ship a game to meet their fiscal projections, then he's all like, "OK, cool, it's perfect, how I envisioned it all along." And the employees dare not bring this up in Iwata Asks because they know Iwata has a glock aimed at them from his lap under the table.

Meanwhile, the True Genius, Koizumi, has to sneak in plot like he's running the Underground Railroad of Videogame Narratives.

HYDE

Banned
And the employees dare not bring this up in Iwata Asks because they know Iwata has a glock aimed at them from his lap under the table.

Iwata: cocks (shotgun sound) and laughs.

On a side note PS4 and Zelda/ Mario is fucking gaming bliss this holiday.

Neiteio

Iwata: cocks (shotgun sound) and laughs.

On a side note PS4 and Zelda/ Mario is fucking gaming bliss this holiday.
I have to say Xbone has some great titles, as well. Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon and Dead Rising 3 all look tempting to me. Really, it's a FANTASTIC holiday season, on all fronts. 2013 has been one of gaming's greatest years. :)

Gleethor

Miyamoto's job is to look at whatever they're making and say "Fuck you," "Fuck you and your mother," "Fuck you and your dog," until he glances at the calendar and sees they need to ship a game to meet their fiscal projections, then he's all like, "OK, cool, it's perfect, how I envisioned it all along." And the employees dare not bring this up in Iwata Asks because they know Iwata has a glock aimed at them from his lap under the table.

Meanwhile, the True Genius, Koizumi, has to sneak in plot like he's running the Underground Railroad of Videogame Narratives.

oh god I'm dying, perfect analogy. Someone make a shop.

greg400

Banned

If only Intelligent Systems had used that underground railroad for Sticker Star.

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.

Neiteio

I don't mean to be rude but I think this game is getting inflated reviews. I played the game at best buy and I've seen tons of video content and I really don't it deserves such a high score. It's kind of like GTA IV everyone gave it 10s because of the hype but a big chunk of players felt it just wasn't that good especially as a GTA game. To me 9.5s and 9.6s should go to really ambitious titles like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy this game plays it way too safe.
Word is that the first four worlds have that rather relaxed feel -- fun to play, but not trying to blow minds or anything. Just confidently easy-breezy in its whimsy and inventiveness. Sounds like it continues to ramp up as you go along. :)

Lunar15

Dude, I read that ALBW Iwata Asks. Miyamoto wasn't even in the room and they were scared straight. Shiggy be cold, yo.

Gleethor

Oh yeah? How long did it take you to beat 3D World if you don't mind me asking?

Creating a game that is pure fun is still worth something.

Zalman

Creativity in games should be rewarded nowadays, and 3D Mario games are always full of it. We can't imagine how much work goes into these levels and power ups. I agree it doesn't seem as great as the Galaxy games, but it's probably pretty damn close.

Alrus

This game never had the same level of hype as GTA IV, not even close... And basing an opinion from playing a game at a demo kiosk seems a bit hasty...

That could very well be the case, though I don't think you can say that without fully playing the game quite honestly. Refinement is something that should be valued as much as ambition. It's what made the progression happen from the original Mario Bros to Mario 3.

Satchel

Banned
Hmmm....this game might fuck up my resolution to beat a WiiU game fully before buying the next one.

I'm not done with WWHD yet god fucking dammit.

Conor 419

Banned
Thank god Nintendo didn't panic and compromise the integrity of the IP with this game like they did with trying to make Super Mario Sunshine like GTA3, enough lessons learnt from the GameCube era it would seem.

peakish

I guess I still don't see how Galaxy was any more risky and ambitious than what we see here. It seemed just as much as a refinement of the 3d Mario formula to me as this does to 3d Land, except that it had a more novel setting. In fact I stopped playing the game some 20 stars in because I was stupid and wishing for something more fresh, only to a few years later discover that the really good stuff came in the later levels (combined with what I think was a more level view of what I wanted from the game).

goldenpp72

Your missing my point entirely but whatever

Mario 3d land is my favorite portable game of all time, and this coming from someone who has played hundreds, the fact this game seems to be that but better in every way means it should at least be an excellent game, don't judge games on such short spurts, imagine judging something like Dead Rising in 10 minutes.

Statement.

I don't think that playing a game at Best Buy is the same as playing the whole game at home. Even if it is the game itself, you only played a demo and not the full experience. To say that scores were inflated and what not might not be such a good idea if all you have to base yourself off is a demo.

So, no.

Your missing my point entirely but whatever

You really have no point besides " I played this at best buy listen to my opinion on the whole game". And getting back to Galaxy for a second, honestly the most disappointing thing about that series was the missed potential for the gravity mechanic. There were a few levels that made some cool uses (The tree one in G2), but outside of that none of the levels in Galaxy were more ambitious. Honestly it seems like many people (including myself at first) just seem to put Galaxy at a higher level because it was set in space. While I don't think this game will top G2 for me, I don't see a difference in scale

Mario 3d land is my favorite portable game of all time, and this coming from someone who has played hundreds, the fact this game seems to be that but better in every way means it should at least be an excellent game, don't judge games on such short spurts, imagine judging something like Dead Rising in 10 minutes.

I love Mario 3D Land. It's outstanding...as a handheld game. I just think its a damn shame that the first 2 Mario games on an HD console are a NSMB sequel and a sequel to the 3DS game. I wanted a new concept entirely something that would WOW me and blow everyone away that took full advantage of the Wii U hardware.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love Mario 3D Land. It's outstanding...as a handheld game. I just think its a damn shame that the first 2 Mario games on an HD console are a NSMB sequel and a sequel to the 3DS game. I wanted a new concept entirely something that would WOW me and blow everyone away that took full advantage of the Wii U hardware.

You haven't even played the game yet. No a demo doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom