• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfyb

Banned
Zeed said:
If Shiek does return, I agree, it will be as her own character, and probably significantly different from her Melee appearance. There's no way Sakurai would be so lazy as to make ZSS, a spotlighted premier newcomer, a mere clone of another character of Brawl.

That said, my prediction is that Shiek is out completely.
why are you assuming ZSS has to be related to shiek...? ZSS has nothing to do with shiek at this point.

and if shiek is in, i'll bet she looks just like her melee character (upgraded of course). she will be a representation of a classic nintendo game, just like this new song they unvieled. stop thinking about zelda's (the game) representation in smash bros so linearly. OoT has attained 'classic' status and nintendo would be flat out stupid not to represent that in a game like this (especially when they already have, and shiek specifically has become a key character in the game).

Nintaiyo

Most people think Sheik will go because of Zero Suit Samus. Now I haven't played Metroid games with ZSS in them, so I don't know how she controls, but the fact that she was seen in the trailer with moves very similar to Sheik's is suspicious. Why would they give her those moves? Also, Sakurai said that there will be no clones in Brawl. Because of these reasons, it is possible that Sheik is gone in this one. I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with this. I'm just trying to clear this up for people who think that people are saying this simply because she wouldn't fit in with the timeline.

Zeed

Banned
dfyb said:
why are you assuming ZSS has to be related to shiek...? ZSS has nothing to do with shiek at this point.
Oh, I see why you're so adamant about this now. You missed the part where all the evidence was being presented.

In a nutshell, watch the last trailer. Every attack and movement ZSS performs is identical to Shiek's from SSBM. Add in the fact that she has a projectile and a whip, and it becomes obvious what's going on here.

If Shiek is back, it won't be as her old self. For all intents and purposes, ZSS is Shiek.

dfyb

Banned
Nintaiyo said:
Most people think Sheik will go because of Zero Suit Samus. Now I haven't played Metroid games with ZSS in them, so I don't know how she controls, but the fact that she was seen in the trailer with moves very similar to Sheik's is suspicious. Why would they give her those moves? Also, Sakurai said that there will be no clones in Brawl. Because of these reasons, it is possible that Sheik is gone in this one. I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with this. I'm just trying to clear this up for people who think that people are saying this simply because she wouldn't fit in with the timeline.
i'll have to watch the trailer again. i don't remember her reminding me of shiek.

edit: anything besides that kick? i could see how people make the link, but i wouldn't put money down yet.

Zeed said:
In a nutshell, watch the last trailer. Every attack and movement ZSS performs is identical to Shiek's from SSBM.

Well... I wouldn't say EVERY movement. Her jumps look different, and her up+B seems to be a quick zip movement like Pikachu's rather than Sheik's.

Basically, two attacks looks quite similar-- down-tilt and down-smash. Down-tilt doesn't tell us much, because lots of characters have leg-sweeping d-tilts. The similarity in down-smashes is more compelling, because Sheik's d-smash was quite different than any other in the game. Still, it's very similar but not exactly identical.

So yeah. Zamus = new Sheik seems very plausible, but again, nothing is confirmed.

Zeed

Banned
Well, I think that this discussion has been exhausted as much as possible. Nothing to do now but wait to see which side eats crow.

I'm holding out for a Zero Suit Samus profile update tonight.

zelda_070625d-l.jpg

"YOU TOOK MY JOB!"

superbank

The definition of front-butt.

I thought the Sheik discussion would have ended! I have underestimated Gaf.

I might as well contribute.

Zeed said:
Oh, I see why you're so adamant about this now. You missed the part where all the evidence was being presented.

:lol

Zeed said:
In a nutshell, watch the last trailer. Every attack and movement ZSS performs is identical to Shiek's from SSBM. Add in the fact that she has a projectile and a whip, and it becomes obvious what's going on here.

If Shiek is back, it won't be as her old self. For all intents and purposes, ZSS is Shiek.

Is it not possible that Sheik is an unlockable character and exactly like her old self? And ZSS is a (heavily) modified Sheik clone? Just because ZSS has Sheiks moves doesn't mean Sheik is out. IF Sheik is out it is good that they have a Sheik replacement in ZSS, but it is a logical fallacy to conclude: ZSS -> No Sheik.

Only Sakurai can save us now. He has to reveal Sheik (or No Sheik annoucement) as the next update.

Nintaiyo said:
Also, Sakurai said that there will be no clones in Brawl.

Where'd you hear that? I see this being thrown around through out the thread but I can't recall him ever saying that.

Somnid

Wow. I just checked in on this whole "evidence" thing you guys have going. It's apparently based on 3 moves, a leg sweep and a forward kick and a break dance-style spin kick. Hardly conclusive of anything, the animations do differ slightly and many fighters share similar looking moves in melee. I also wonder why if people think characters are getting new movesets how this would matter at all. With that there's some obvious counter evidence: it seems ZSSs whip/gun are modes as you can see her flipping back-and-forth, they at least don't seem to be straight up special attacks.

Aside from being even less convinced, I'm just amazed at what was there can be considered proof of anything. This is some epic conclusion jumping.

Zeed

Banned
Alright, if you think that "many fighters share similar looking moves in melee" to everything that ZSS does in the trailer, you clearly didn't pay much attention to Melee.

superbank said:
Only Sakurai can save us now. He has to reveal Sheik (or No Sheik annoucement) as the next update.
Oh I wish.

superbank said:
Where'd you hear that? I see this being thrown around through out the thread but I can't recall him ever saying that.
You're right, I don't believe that he has ever said that, nor have I ever cited that as supposed evidence. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

That's it, I'm done with this argument until you all eat crow.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Zeed said:
What? No. One or two moves bear a resemblance but the rest looks completely new.

This arguing is silly, no one can for certain say if she's out or not, and a lot of you are. Why is it that every god damn Smash topic turns into arguing and bickering back and forth regardless of what it concerns? This thread used to be so good. :(

superbank

Zeed said:
You're right, I don't believe that he has ever said that, nor have I ever cited that as supposed evidence. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

I was quoting Nintaiyo, not you.

Zeed said:
That's it, I'm done with this argument until you all eat crow.

I'm not eating any crow. I think it could go either way 50/50 chance, and thats because we don't have enough evidence and there is reason not to remove him/her (Sheik was a popular choice in Melee).

Somnid

trh said:
This arguing is silly, no one can for certain say if she's out or not, and a lot of you are. Why is it that every god damn Smash topic turns into arguing and bickering back and forth regardless of what it concerns? This thread used to be so good. :(

Nah it was always full of this kind of BS. 10 minutes of excitement everyday followed by 23 hours and 50 minutes of over-analyzing whatever we got. Smash represents a fusion of Nintendo's greatest games, it's only natural that it would attract the most insane fanboys.

You know what would be awesome? A spin-off Smash Bros with all the wacky smaller characters that would seem out of place in the Smash Bros Brawl main series of games. Like Paper Mario, Cel-shaded Link, Captin Olimar, the Wario Ware guys, Tom Nook and company, Geno/Mallow, Chibi-Robo, etc, etc. Hell, put that thing on the DS and keep the main series on the Wii and lets see some linking up between them.

superbank

Talladega Knight said:
You know what would be awesome? A spin-off Smash Bros with all the wacky smaller characters that would seem out of place in the Smash Bros Brawl main series of games. Like Paper Mario, Cel-shaded Link, Captin Olimar, the Wario Ware guys, Tom Nook and company, Geno/Mallow, Chibi-Robo, etc, etc. Hell, put that thing on the DS and keep the main series on the Wii and lets see some linking up between them.

2-3 of those characters will be in Brawl though.

mugwhump

dfyb said:

only conclusion i seem to be able to reach is :drool:
...Her d-tilt is the same as C. falcon's + sheik's + Gannondarf's...
her f-tilt is the same kind of kick used by many characters in the game except for sheik...
and her up-tilt/smash there is completely different.

edit: and her dash attack is a running kick, unlike Sheik's.

Haunted

trh said:
There's only one thing that can save us now...

Japan Time

Jenga

Banned
I'm pretty confident all four of the console Zeldas will be represented. TP designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Music and MAYBE Sheik from OoT. Kid Link from Wind Waker, and maybe a MM stage if we're lucky.

EDIT: Err, four

EktorPR

Jenga said:
I'm pretty confident all three of the console Zeldas will be represented. TP designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Music and MAYBE Sheik from OoT. Kid Link from Wind Waker, and maybe a MM stage if we're lucky.

We had one already in Melee. I'm betting on a Twilight Realm stage from TP.

Zeed

Banned
BrandNew said:
Did they try to make her look like Ripley in the first game? The similarity is so close.
It's no secret that the original Metroid had Alien in mind when they made it. That's supposedly why Ridley was named what he was, as a tribute.

I'm still holding out for a compete scrapping and re-creation of Luigi. While not a clone, he is fairly similar to Mario, and I would love to see a Luigi's Mansion version of him with the Poultergust as a weapon. Imagine sucking people or items up and shooting them out as weapons, with elemental effects on them! He would be some sort of crazy Mario/Kirby hybrid character!

StrikerObi said:
I'm still holding out for a compete scrapping and re-creation of Luigi. While not a clone, he is fairly similar to Mario, and I would love to see a Luigi's Mansion version of him with the Poultergust as a weapon. Imagine sucking people or items up and shooting them out as weapons, with elemental effects on them! He would be some sort of crazy Mario/Kirby hybrid character!

NO.
Luigi is the best character of SSBM :-/
He has only 2 moves that are similiar to Mario´s, his up+B, and his down+B. Bu except from these he´s compeltely differnet and BETTER than Mario.

GaimeGuy said:
Make luigi one of the better charactesr in Brawl, Nintendo <3

he shouldent be pretty different from Mario, I think his Up specials hould be a charge jump like what he did in SPM, down special should be a vacuum based move or something, his headbutt and green fireball are fine.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
XiaNaphryz said:
that didn't mean we saw Tanooki Mario as a character right?

If the speculation about alternate costumes (as opposed to just colors) for characters is true, I'd love Tanooki Mario.

Mario - Dr. Mario - Tanooki Mario - Hawaiian Shirt Mario

If the speculation about alternate costumes (as opposed to just colors) for characters is true, I'd love Tanooki Mario.

Is that baseless speculation you're talking about or did Sakurai mention that as a possibility somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom