• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BrandNew said:
Is that baseless speculation you're talking about or did Sakurai mention that as a possibility somewhere?

Oh, it's quite baseless speculation -- it's merely a wish/thought coupled with existing elements in SSBM that would seem to be "logical" continuations -- see Peach/Daisy for a single example which I could see being carried over for ALL the characters.

Is there anything to prove this? No, not at all... but it does seem a tad more logical than the SHEIK BE GONE line being trumpeted around here like a bad dirge.

Heck, you could argue that because we haven't SEEN any characters in alternate colors yet, ALTERNATE COLORS DON'T EXIST! THE HORROR!

After a bit of thinking, I'll say that the reason casual players don't care about the differences between Fox and Falco is because those types of players usually just spam f-smash, over-b and up-b. Most Melee players don't even realize that the shine can be used as an attack, in my experience, and they CERTAINLY don't use Falco's lasers like they could. Which is fine, whatever.

I guess the bottom line is that clones are ALWAYS a good thing if it means another character in the game that otherwise would not have made it. Would anyone here really prefer NO character over a "clone" character?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I don't like clones because they seem like a lazy way to boost the character count. I would gladly take 1 completely all new character over 5 clones.

Zeed

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
I really don't feel like looking it up, but I read it in an interview that was conducted with him. Might have been at Nintendo World, but I'm really not sure. I didn't paraphrase it and basically make up what I wanted to read if that's what you're thinking, you can take my word on that.
Before WastingPenguins comes down upon you with the wrath of God for citing "an interview" that you can't produce, I'm going to call bullshit. I've read all the interviews, he doesn't say anything like that in any of them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
superbank said:
I don't like clones because they seem like a lazy way to boost the character count. I would gladly take 1 completely all new character over 5 clones.

Depends on who the clones are.

I'd take a Lyn (Marth clone) over Wario any day.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Firestorm said:
Not really. It's how the moves behave. Three very, very key things about Falco that changes his entire playstyle:

d-air spikes down
lasers stun
shine sends opponent up

There you have the basis for two of Falco's main combos. The short-hop laser and the pillar (d-air, l-cancel, shine or d-tilt, jump, repeat).

Watch a bit of this combo video to see what I'm talking about:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nOKyMf_sa7U
Nice edge-tech at 3:45-3:50

superbank

Halycon said:
Depends on who the clones are.

I'd take a Lyn (Marth clone) over Wario any day.

But! You haven't even played Wario yet!

It would be funny if you end up liking Wario the most in Brawl. :)

Firestorm

superbank said:

And I'd gladly take 5 clones over 1 completely all new character. I'd say Doc, Ganon, Falco, YLink, and Roy combined added much more enjoyment to the game than Mewtwo.

superbank

Firestorm said:
And I'd gladly take 5 clones over 1 completely all new character. I'd say Doc, Ganon, Falco, YLink, and Roy combined added much more enjoyment to the game than Mewtwo.

I knew you'd come in here with that. We're getting more clones with Brawl so you can get your wish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
superbank said:
But! You haven't even played Wario yet!

It would be funny if you end up liking Wario the most in Brawl. :)

I won't. I can hate characters on principle and I already hate Wario.

Where mah Geno at?

justchris

I don't, strictly speaking, object to clones. I just wish they weren't quite so alike. I would be perfectly happy if they pulled a Luigi with Falco. Keep most of his animations, but change a few of his attacks to give him more personality.

I do dislike certain clones on principle. Ganondorf should not have been a clone of Captain Falcon. I mean, seriously, what the **** is that shit? Ganondorf actually has his own movies in OoT and TP. He's a ****ing sorceror guys, give him a moveset that reflects that, don't just repurpose Falcon's moves.

On another topic entirely, I can't say I'm impressed by what I've seen of Wario's moves so far, but without actually playing him myself, can't make a final judgement one way or the other. But preliminary judgement is he's crap.

Baryn

Banned
The more original moves you add, the more you have to balance, which adds immensely to development time.

Hence, very similarly behaving clones for the sake of a larger roster.

RagnarokX

justchris said:
I do dislike certain clones on principle. Ganondorf should not have been a clone of Captain Falcon. I mean, seriously, what the **** is that shit? Ganondorf actually has his own movies in OoT and TP. He's a ****ing sorceror guys, give him a moveset that reflects that, don't just repurpose Falcon's moves.
Yeah, I agree. Ganondorf definitely needs his sword and shoot energy balls (both the normal kind and the kind that bursts into samller beams).

I think what may have happened was they had Ganon in Melee with his sword and he was based on the Spaceworld Gamecube Zelda that ended up becoming Wind Waker. That original idea got nixed but they already had made Ganon's model, so instead of cutting him out of the game they got rid of his sword and gave him Captain Falcon's moves. He still has the sword in his winning poses... All speculation, of course :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
RagnarokX said:
Yeah, I agree. Ganondorf definitely needs his sword and shoot energy balls (both the normal kind and the kind that bursts into samller beams).

I think what may have happened was they had Ganon in Melee with his sword and he was based on the Spaceworld Gamecube Zelda that ended up becoming Wind Waker. That original idea got nixed but they already had made Ganon's model, so instead of cutting him out of the game they got rid of his sword and gave him Captain Falcon's moves. He still has the sword in his winning poses... All speculation, of course :D
Well, you're right about one thing: Ganondorf with sword IS in the game.

ganondorfwithsword.jpg

superbank

justchris said:
I don't, strictly speaking, object to clones. I just wish they weren't quite so alike. I would be perfectly happy if they pulled a Luigi with Falco. Keep most of his animations, but change a few of his attacks to give him more personality.

Yes, thats how it should be. They should change them just enough to make them their own character.

Branduil said:
Sheik is popular because she's an overpowered character, not because she's some great original character that everybody loves.

She kind of plays really awesome, too.

WastingPenguins said:
Once again you prove you don't know what you're talking about.

I gotta say. I've been watching you post a lot of stupid shit this entire thread. I just can't believe it. :-/

On topic though, the new music sample rocks, my s key sucks, and I can't wait for tonight's update.

I've also gotten used to the hair, but still prefer blonde.

Firestorm

superbank said:
Yes, thats how it should be. They should change them just enough to make them their own character.

I'd argue they're different enough to be their own character already.

Kureishima said:
I gotta say. I've been watching you post a lot of stupid shit this entire thread. I just can't believe it. :-/

People who say they don't want online should not be talking about others talking stupid shit!

usea

I'm genuinely surprised that so many of you care more about unique animations and whether or not you think a developer is "lazy" than you do about uh, gameplay. Would you be more satisfied just watching videos of the game and never playing it? Or how about if there were 100 different characters and they all had unique and varied animations, but their moves all operated identically. Same reach, trajectory, damage, the characters all weighed the same and fell at the same speed, ran at the same speed, jumped just as quickly, need I go on?

Somehow to many of you, whether their arms or legs move in the same pattern is more important than what is actually going on in the gameplay.

scottnak

Boy... it's getting real heated in here.
Let's see. Since everything has been blowing minds lately...

How about a random plug for Kirby's final smash.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jirotrom said:
why is the music midi... I thought they were using live instruments....is this just a pre-live recorded version?
These are samples of the arrangements, not necessarily actual excerpts of the in-game music.

Ristamar

justchris said:

I agree on both counts.

superbank

usea said:
I'm genuinely surprised that so many of you care more about unique animations and whether or not you think a developer is "lazy" than you do about uh, gameplay. Would you be more satisfied just watching videos of the game and never playing it? Or how about if there were 100 different characters and they all had unique and varied animations, but their moves all operated identically. Same reach, trajectory, damage, the characters all weighed the same and fell at the same speed, ran at the same speed, jumped just as quickly, need I go on?

Somehow to many of you, whether their arms or legs move in the same pattern is more important than what is actually going on in the gameplay.

The basic idea is that each character should look and play differently enough to be considered different.

I predict special moves or stage.

I'd love to see Wario's moveset, but I'm betting I'll be dissapointed.

Maybe they'll continue the Zelda trend and introduce a Zelda based stage, or an item from the Zelda series.

papercut

usea said:

We can have unique characters with unique movesets. Really, we can. Falco's fine and dandy but the only people who really care about his differences from Fox are hardcore players. As a middle-middle-of-the-road player, I feel somewhat cheated that he's not differentiated enough from Fox fighting style-wise.

usea

papercut said:
We can have unique characters with unique movesets. Really, we can. Falco's fine and dandy but the only people who really care about his differences from Fox are hardcore players. As a middle-middle-of-the-road player, I feel somewhat cheated that he's not differentiated enough from Fox fighting style-wise.
He IS different enough. It has nothing to do with being a hardcore player. It's extremely obvious.

They are more different than they are the same. It's not just some tiny differences you have to measure frames or count pixels to notice. They truly are very different. If you think otherwise you either have spent very little time with the game, haven't played it in years and are remembering incorrectly, or you're physically or mentally impaired in some way. I can't put it any other way, I'm not trying to be rude. I just can't imagine how else you could possibly be making such blatantly false statements.

I was wondering, maybe a newbe question...

Is there a giant team who tests these characters in fights intensively to find out if one is overpowered or underpowered, or is it all based on maths and coding?

Hero

He's going to reveal two of Zelda's moves. Her standard B attack and up + B attack. He will purposefully not tell us what her Down + B move is.

bluemax

Banned
Souldriver said:
I was wondering, maybe a newbe question...

Is there a giant team who tests these characters in fights intensively to find out if one is overpowered or underpowered, or is it all based on maths and coding?

Before or after it goes retail?

PkunkFury

so do people who think Falco will stay think all clones will stay? My question is, once you get rid of a few clones, why keep the rest? They'd just have to make more clones out of new characters which would lead to a bit more disappointment. Ganondorf is most definitely getting his own move set. Pichu and Roy are very likely to be axed. Then we have Doc (cut? costume?) and if they turn Young Link into WW Link he will probably become a Luigi style clone with a few different moves and much different control. That leaves Falco in a weird place, too similar to Fox to differentiate, but too popular to cut... Would they Luigi-fy Falco if all clones are gone? Make him a costume?

If they leave Falco as a clone, they'd have to drum up a number of other clones so he's not the odd man out. We also know at least some characters will be cut, and clones seem more likely than say GW and IC who are unique in both moveset and franchise

jvalioli

Has to be a stage. Going with the Fire Emblem stage again, even though I want to say Zelda, just because of this weeks supposed theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom